Bodge

[Sun] 1 April 2012 (April Fools)

Post by Bodge »

Missions:
  • Daring raid
  • Cacheola
  • Highway
  • Unreachable
A good solid turn out lead to some rather successful missions. The amount of death and bullets was not diminished by this shocking display of competence however and much fun was had all round. Thanks for turning up and shooting and dying with us, a couple of new faces is always pleasant. Please add your tales of death below.

Also

Please click the map to teleport

fer

Re: [Sun] 1 April 2012 (April Fools)

Post by fer »

Daring Raid

Echo FTL: Fer
|-- MrWeed
|-- AJAX

Eschewing the standard start to this mission - a raid on the enemy outpost to our north-west - and ignoring our woeful lack of arms (my fireteam boasted an AK, a Lee-Enfield and a Skorpion, and very few bullets), comrade commander Bodge formed the platoon into a wedge and marched the men north. The plan was to use a small valley to cover our approach towards the main road running east into the village with the army base. Wheeling north-east at the last instant would give us overwatch on the enemy stronghold, whilst the bulk of our troops secured some roadside compounds. These structures would then serve as the jumping off point for an eastward assault, directly onto the army base. Given our lack of ammunition, the trick would be closing with the enemy quickly, and avoiding a protracted, long-range firefight that we might lose for lack of lead.

In the end, closing with the enemy wasn't an issue. Though Echo began as the right-most element of the wedge, when we wheeled north-east my fireteam became the point, and soon MrWeed, AJAX and myself found ourselves scouting the scrubby woodland on the hill south of the roadside compounds. We had had sight of the army base, and were moving closer on the high ground, when the rest of the platoon was engaged by enemy patrols on the road. There was a lot of firing behind us, lower down by the road, but I was convinced the other elements were handling it - and paranoid that as we descended the hillside, an enemy patrol might get the jump on us from higher ground to our east. I didn't notice the two enemy soldiers making their way up towards us from the road below, spotting them only after they had opened fire on MrWeed and me. As I called in the contact they shot me in the face.

:fry:

Cacheola (Adv.)

Ind CO: Fer

My plan was very simple: asign each of my two fireteams a large sector, and have them disperse their men as widely as possible, taking up positions inside buildings. FTLs would recover some IEDs from the caches and place them at key junctions, then adopt the same hiding behaviour as their men. Then we would wait for the enemy to enter the city, and wear him down with a combination of IED blasts and hit-and-run tactics (by which I meant for my troops to fire 1-2 shots before changing position). I was going to watch it all go down from a tower in the mosque.

It was a complete failure.

The enemy appeared to enter the district from at least two locations - an obvious attack from the direction of the villa that drew fire from my northern fireteam (EBass), and a stealthy infiltration of the southern fireteam's sector (AstuteCat) that destroyed one cache right under our noses. I'd spread out my men so thinly because I thought it would give me quicker intel on the enemy, but I'm not sure it delivered that at all - most likely because they had all been ordered to take shelter inside the buildings, reducing their ability to spot the enemy. Worse, the peacemeal nature of 1-man attacks never really troubled the enemy, and only drew punishing fire from the .50 cals on their vehicles.

So one side was gradually worn down, but it was mine. Eventually, I was on foot in the AO myself, attempting to land speculative GP-25 shots on an enemy gun-truck. In one particularly heart-stopping moment I came out of map view to find a BLUFOR soldier about to walk through the doorway into the building I was sheltering in. I won the draw, but only just. I put more rounds into him from my AK (just to be sure) and ran away, eventually making it onto a rooftop. The enemy vehicle was moving some blocks from me, with an infantryman on foot nearby. I popped off two shots and foolishly lingered for a second. The .50 cal likely separated my head from my body.

:owned:

Highway LE

Highway was the first mission I ever wrote for Folk, so - possibly - by definition the first ever Folk mission. But it was a bit too bleak throwing our (then) playercounts of a dozen (foolish) men against 9 enemy APCs loaded with rifle-toting enemies. So Highway LE was born: a slimmed-down version, with a smaller convoy. That didn't help, though, and it wasn't until The Third International Fighting Brigade of Takistan in the name of Che Guevara got reinforced by the ARPS people that we managed to beat this mission.

Anyway, this time round I found myself in comrade Washington's fireteam (along with comrades IceRaiser and Joseph), clutching an RPG-7 launcher and peering out into the fog. It was almost dark, but with just enough light to scramble about the wrecked positions on an embankment to the west of the road, hoping to find a good firing position. I couldn't see the road, but thankfully the enemy APCs were driving with their headlights on. A ghostly procession of white lights was advancing left-to-right across my field of vision as I waited anxiously for Alpha to kick off the ambush.

Then the convoy slide out of view, obscured by trees, and the ambush had yet to start. Frantically, our whole firteam repositioned, slipping southwards along the embankment. As the first volley was fired I still lacked a clear shot, so I scrambled down towards the road, eventually coming to a small wall where others from my fireteam were firing. The convoy ahead was already ablaze, but the large silhouettes of active IFVs still roved about; I used all my rockets. Inevitably, my fire attracted the attentions of the enemy, and I was shot - but not killed. Comrade Washington patched me up and, together with the others, I made my way up to the heart of the ambush. The enemy troops were dead, and all that remained was for us to destroy the last few (disabled) APCs. Victory!

:v: