[Tue] 01 Oct 2013 (CAS vs Mountain (Spoiler: mountain wins))

How we died
wolfenswan

[Tue] 01 Oct 2013 (CAS vs Mountain (Spoiler: mountain wins))

Post by wolfenswan »

Thank you to all 29 comrades for a great tuesday session!

ARMA 2
  • Expanded Mandate
  • Radio Free Hazar
  • Roundabout
ARMA 3
  • Kastro Defence
  • A Friend in Need

Code: Select all

{"grenade" createVehicle (getPos _x)} forEach playableUnits
That is all.

Gaia

Re: [Tue] 01 Oct 2013 (CAS vs Mountain (Spoiler: mountain wi

Post by Gaia »

Expanded Mandate-- Alpha 2 FTL
Alpha 2 was Battlestar Galactica discussion team. We did just that, in the name of UN Admiral William Adama. We gave each other BSG styled callsigns, and we talked about how Seasons 1 and 2 were awesome. They really were. I advise you stop reading this AAR, and go watch the first 2 seasons of BSG.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

No, really.

Great, now that you've done that...

We moved forward on the right side of the road, moving through light cover. We wound up in the treeline along the road, sitting there for about ten minutes. Me and Homercleese discussed whether Gaius Baltar was the best BSG character and how the series finale was a massive disappointment.

On our SL's orders, we charged forward with glory, and all of Alpha was cut down in a Copse of trees, fired upon from all sides by Spetznaz with silenced guns and scary glowy night vision.

It was a lot like that one episode of BSG where Gaius Baltar, and a small fireteam were stuck on a planet, being shot by Cylons. Only none of us made it out alive...

Radio Free Hazar-- Alpha 1 AR
I followed Wolfenswan along the side of the town. We hit heavy fire near the mansion, and Moon Moon killed me with accurate Grenade fire. Not much to say really.

Roundabout-- Alpha 3 FTL
All glory to the experimental Pepsi(R) sponsored fireteam of the Party.

Pepsi(R), the official drink of Alpha 3. You must "Do the Dew for Duty"(R).

We donned our sellout lime green uniforms, and matching glowing green underwear, and we joined the fray. Early on, we believed we would die horribly as we were sent to the front line. ASL, in his glory, decided that A3 would serve as good cannon bait, and he placed us on a hill overlooking a bunker. We moved to the top, and were soon engaged by at least two squads of EI.

Little did they know that Homercleese had just been issued a Pepsi(R) RPK that ripped through their non-corporate sponsored armor. Even as I screamed for A3 to hide behind the hill, Homer shot up the enemy squads, and saved the MAT team that had just arrived on the scene. Amazed to be alive, I reported our situation to ASL, who seemed just as suprised that we had taken no casualties as I was...

I was perfectly fine with staying on that hill, it was nice, and had a good view of dead bodies, but we were directed to join up with the rest of Alpha. We were about to rejoin, when Homer caught sight of several EI near a destroyed machinegun nest. I told him to fire, and the EI died horribly. I moved closer, and saw that there was an entire bunker up on that hill. I told the SL, but he confused this new bunker with the old one, and I decided to push on my own initiative.

We pushed up the hill, but were attacked by several snipers on the hill. We handled them, and one of my men took a Dragunov as his new primary weapon. Homer resupplied with the ammo of the enemy, and just as we were about to rejoin Alpha for a second time, we caught wind of ANOTHER bunker up on the hill. SL decided, because of our amazing abilities, that the Pepsi(R) sponsored team should do it. We grabbed our banner to the soft drink, and charged the bunker, taking it out, and another squad that was about to attack our boys on the road below. We then engaged another hidden bunker.

We followed the cliff edge for the rest of the mission, taking out every bunker we saw, finally engaging two squads wearing Coca-Cola(R) armor and a BTR emblazoned with Dr Pepper(R) on our own, taking them all out with nothing but small arms fire.

Glory to Pepsi(R) products friends, they are a true friend of the party.

In the end, Comrade Homercleese had 12+ confirmed kills.

Also, if ANYONE has video of Roundabout, please, for the love of the Takistani Militia in the name of Che Guevara, please post it.

Castro Defense-- Alpha 1 FTL, BLUFOR
I placed my men at the entrance to the castle, manning the boiling oil pits and grabbing our crossbows. Daf freaked out at the lack of mist, and I had to talk him down. Apparently he had found my secret crystal meth lab beneath the castle.

Upon contact, Bones, the brave squad leader defending the tea kettle in the break room, was shot, and I was forced to take command. I kept everyone at their positions, and we fired upon INDFOR as they tried to break into the compound through the front door. We exchanged grenades and bullets for a while, until they were forced off. We soon learned that the main assault was a ruse for a small team to break in through the back. I led Alpha 1, minus Bobbero, to deal with the issue, which we did. Opfor attacked the front gate again, and died. The end.

A Friend in Need-- CO, INDFOR
Alas, my crystal meth days caught up with me in the mountains of Altis. A Blufor helicopter disabled my crystal meth trucks, and INDFOR was forced to make a stand.

I sent Alpha 2 to an outcrop of rocks to serve as overwatch, and I told Alpha 1 to stay put and use the turrets on the weapons trucks.

After waiting FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were engaged from a front I was not expecting, a hill watching over the road. We returned fire, but before we could, one truck was destroyed. We held a line, and both sides took spectacular casualties. Sadly, I died before the glorious end.

A tie.

MY FIRST TIE IN FA HISTORY!!!

dancemoox

Post by dancemoox »

Expanded Mandate - Gong 1 Commander - Wolfenswan Driver - Kale Gunner

We did our best to support the infantry as they moved, we engaged EI targets to the north east over the top of Kettle and then supported Alpha moving on the wooded hill. With no orders to go around I decided to push us up with Alpha in a gap between trees. To get maximum visibility I turned out and then turned in again as tracers skipped across our hull - I gave the back us up kick to Wolf and we swung around the woods. Alpha was getting chewed up by something so we engaged all the targets north and west of the hill. The chewing Alpha was getting was from the south west and that message didn't get passed until it was really too late. I tried to push Gong around to engage targets south and we took an RPG, with tracks gone Wolf jumped out to repair and was killed by a second strike. I did my best to pull us back putting full lock on the steering and gunning it - we rolled backwards about twenty feet and stopped dead. I passed a message for Kettle via the CO requesting a quick visit from them to get us mobile again. After that Inverse the CO was killed and all of Alpha too. A message appeared from beyond the grave from Wolf instructing me to load up the survivors and attack the hill ASAP. Kale and myself switched channels, Kettle took repeated RPG strikes from the hill leaving just Croc alive. I told everyone to load up and may have threatened executions for those that failed to mount up, once we were loaded I took over the drivers seat and gunned the engine for the hill. Nothing like a bit of RAMMING SPEED to make everything better, that speed was lost as soon as we hit the hill. We paused to let the survivors out, some were instantly wounded other killed. With the hilltop not secure I disregarded the wounded under the tracks and drove further up, Croc and Mamba made a slight squish sound then a loud pop as I drove over them.. On top of the hill the dreaded Hind showed up, it fucked us up badly. I bailed before it returned for another pass, shooting two guys on the hillside before being wounded. I crawled back over to Kale who patched me up. I went looking for an RPG finding an AK with a GP launcher I decided it would have to do to kill the two tanks and Hind menacing us from above. Seeing EI around the base of the hill I jumped inside a MG bunker and opened up on them, I was wounded again and couldn't extract myself. Neither could Kale so when he died I spent my last moments pleading for death and firing the MG at anything that moved..

Radio Free Hazar - Opfor Alpha 2 FTL - Tigershark AR - Nimrod AAR - Willem AT

We got in position east of the villa and set up out OP. Once my guys were split between buildings I marked them off with A2 markers. The plan was to let Indi move in and for us to hit them in the flank. In no time at all an enemy fireteam was moving south of our position, I called it in marked it and kept observing. With a second fireteam moving past I got up onto the roof of the building myself and Willem had occupied, I could see the first Indi fireteam past the fire station forming up in a nice cluster, I requested permission to fire, this was granted and I launched all the GP rounds I had. That really messed them up, I managed to hit someone in the chest with the first GP - he was using optics to scan the villa so I assume he was either SL or FTL of the group. All of Alpha was firing on the contacts, a tractor turned up in the market and I shot a full mag into the driver compartment. With contacts all dead I turned my attention to the building south, I could see someone moving on the middle floor. I had Willem train his RPG on it and fire, a few seconds later the poor soul from inside appeared to the east of the building. A few rounds and he was down. CO dispatched us to clear the Indi axis of advance, what we saw was dead body after dead body. Only one survivor was found and quickly killed.

Roundabout - Bravo Medic - Wolfenswan BSL

I kept moving with Wolf and in one of the longer pauses I switched on CC so I could hear what was going on, as it turned out nothing was going on. Once we got up to a compound I was able to hear the message from CO Bodge that our CAS bird had met with a mountainous end, the morale of the troops was at stake so I set about running around the Bravo compound making jet noises to keep up the spirits of the troops. As we moved forward enemy paratroopers were dropping behind us, I was moving to heal up some Bravo 1 guys and had to kill two to get to them. Once they were up I regrouped with Wolf and cleared buildings, one building had three angry men inside, the first man I shot his chums disliked that I had done this and ignoring all civilized rules of warfare decided to shoot me. Wolf cleared the building and was shot by someone in Bravo 2. Once I was healed I got Wolf back up and we moved out onto the next bunker. With almost observation from one Kord bunker to the next I decided to man the gun and sent 50 rounds of murder towards the next bunker. As it turned out two RPGs and 50 rounds of Kord kills bunkers and dudes. When we moved out again Wolf was killed by some rocks, I grabbed his gear and set his body heroically inside a cleared bunker. With Tigershark in charge we moved on, killed the last bunker and went home for tea and toast.

Kastro Defence - Indi A3 Rifleman

I said it would be a bloodbath and it was just that, Bodge decided to try and find a way inside at the back of the castle and ended up becoming trapped inside a rock. I ended up the same way. I shall experiment on adding explosives to the Indi loadout and see what it takes to get a forlorn hope going..

A Friend in Need - Opfor Ifrit Gunner - Wolf Driver

So Wolf needs to sit his Altis driving test again, it's been decided. We wrecked the Ifrit on a corner, some Greek dude parked his rusty car on the corner and then planted a tree next to it to ensure it was in the shade. We clipped it coming around the corner at some speed. So with no MRAP we got in the cannon fodder wagon and drove with them. I was amused to find my shadow made me look like this

Strange shadow looks strange..

A reminder traversing long distances in A3 isn't much fun, ideally we'd have scouted with the MRAP and cleared the way for the truck. Anyway we attached ourselves to Alpha 2 for the attack, I killed the gunner on a technical and was shot myself. I spent the rest of the mission watching Kale run in the wrong direction, then back again. I had started to calculate the odds of him winning the mission so I could start a book on him but Wolfenswan decided to play god and spawn grenades above the cowards!
ramming speed!

Homercleese

Post by Homercleese »

Expanded Mandate
Alpha 2 AR

Joining Limbo at the tail end of a chat about what sounded like Breaking Bad I fumbled to plug my mic in and then filled my lungs, ready to weigh in with cutting analysis when a random comment by Gaius brutally ended the discussion. And yet it started something much more beautiful. His heartfelt lament about the ending of Battlestar Galactica enticed me into his fire team with Pickers and Zenzos. Some say a legend was born at that moment but in truth it had only been conceived. First would come Gestation. Besides, Zenzos would probably completely disagree.

Viewing the briefing as we waited for our Exalted Leaders to plan our victory, neurons suddenly fired in my flabby excuse for a brain and memories of Hind inspired terror flashed unbidden before my eyes. I was shaken but the plan revealed was solid and steadied my nerve. Alpha was to move up as a unit with A3 on the left through several clumps of trees separated by open field. The T-72(?) and BMP would scout ahead to give warning of any enemy. This gave us (Me and Gaius really) plenty of time to debate BSG and I gotta say Gaius, I'm changing my vote for best character to Tigh. Nothing trumps the mix of alcoholism and incompetence. It's something we can all aspire to.

Fortunately during all of that there were no major encounters until we were getting settled in the second forest and a GP landed right on us, killing Zenzos. The rest of us only took very light hits and didn't need aid. Unfortunately about 3 minutes later after having failed to locate Zenzos' killer, let alone take revenge, the rest of A3 was wiped in rapid succession by what appeared to be night vision and silencer equipped, well, I wanna say Spetsnaz, but despite my furious spectation afterwards, I only saw militia. A3's honour was saved somewhat when the rest of Alpha followed suit pretty quickly leaving the disarmed BMP and a few stragglers to "take" the hill. Dancemoox and Kale managed to take an MG nest and fired so furiously at nothing that neither the enemy infantry nor tanks had the courage to kill them. We all counted it a victory.

Radio Free Hazar
Alpha 3 AAR

Yah, not much to say about this one. After the devastation suffered in Expanded Mandate, Alpha Team BSG disbanded, unable to look each other in the eyes. IndyFOR command went with a hands off approach, the 3 FTs were to move west to the line of houses just outside the mansion complex and then assault on their own initiative. A3 waited for the go signal at the fire station and started coming under very heavy GP fire. Those Russian dogs had decided on an aggressive defence and pushed out east to buildings giving them a clear view all the way down the street we were to cross before even coming in full sight of the mansion. It was pretty impressive and since I wasn't aware of there position I was cut down trying to cross the street. Pickers who had wisely remained in the fire station did his utmost to save some face with a breathtaking tractor, uh, assault, but not even that could rescue victory.

It was a crushing defeat and coupled with the last one I thought it was gonna be one of those weeping-into-a-pillow nights.

And then...

Roundabout
Alpha 3 AR

Purely by coincidence (most of) Alpha Team BSG was reformed, lead by Gaius, AT Pickers, and the newest member of the Gaius Baltar appreciation society, Issus as AAR. Now Gaius can say what he wants about corporate sponsorship and the killer luminous green skintight onesies that seemed to caress our figures, but I know where the real power that surged through us this mission came from. It's source was the Mighty MAKAROV pistol that I found snuggled in my Pepsi(R) branded crotch holster! BEHOLD AND PROSTRATE YOURSELVES! As a result of spending several minutes modelling this object of supreme power for the FT and giving them ample time to devote themselves to it we realised we'd missed most of the initial orders from command and, slightly flustered started moving east. And then stopped. Looked around for a bit. And started moving west. Now that might seem amateurish but you'd be wrong. It was simply re-acclimatisation to the dreariness of the mundane world without the all illuminating light of the Makarov. I'd determined to reholster it. An object of such devastating power must be unleashed only with the utmost care. Also, I couldn't quite fill out the allotted crotch space of these onesies unaided. TO THE HILLS!

(Running to the sound of Gaius' unique interpretation of Bob Marley's greatest hits).

We set up and had a few quiet, meditative moments. Gaius went into some kind of trance,
"MAN, 200, 12 O'CLOCK!"
What? Where? Gaius, eyes suddenly refocused, seemed oblivious to his own words. Confound this fog! Then, dead north, shapes in the haze. An enemy FT. Jebus, a big one! At least 6! But their numbers counted for nothing in the end. We poured righteous fire on them and remained unscathed. Well that went well. Another interlude and then preparations to move up when a red hot urge in my loins pointed me west and down off the crest of the hill. Another 6 man patrol, this time heading south and apparently unaware of us. There was a fair bit of panic as I called this in, I knew I was out on my own a bit but well, what's 6 guys against a man with a tiny, holy pistol in his pants? Poured on the fire and they all went prone, maybe 2 hit. Bullets started impacting very close, that loving zing!, but my FT joined in and started scoring hits. With a lot of fire still coming in Gaius sounded a fallback but I was pretty sure I'd never make it back up and over that hill so what the hey. If I die one of the guys will have to reach in and retrieve the Makarov. Surprisingly the thought gave me strength. I WANTED TO LIVE! A seriously tense few seconds but finally they was dead.

We cleared out a bunker on the hill just north of us and then briefly moved back into town. Pickers and Issus set to clearing a few 'safe' buildings while me and Gaius kept overwatch. Looking back up towards the bunker, I, eh, saw 3 EI north west of it, right on the ridge line, and um... one of them was standing stock straight... about 7 foot up in mid-air. Called it in... opened up. One went down handy enough. But the others were... invincible! Could they have their own holiest of relics? I crawled forward and... Oh, right then. They're in a 2 level bunker. Oh ARMA, you big kidder! That makes a lot more sense. After spending a few minutes trying to explain this to Gaius, he and Pickers charged up the hill and cleared house while me and Issus covered, whacking another bush-loving, heathen commie. Time for some Looting! I found a PKP! It had a scope! Now me and the RPK had been through a lot but eh, yeah, have a good life, I've found a new love!

This done we finally settled into a routine, fully coming to embody our status as ridge walking, bunker bustin, Russian RIPin, leotard wearing, stone cold sons o' beeeatches. (Point blank range) "Is that bunker active?", a burst from the PKP, "Not anymore!". Yeah... well, fine. It seemed more badass at the time.

While we never quite reattained the stratospheric heights of the first two engagements we still finished on a tropospheric level. Having looped around the north ridge line of town and now facing east we spotted another encampment. 5 guys. And um, a BTR. EEeeep! Gaius, undaunted ordered engagement. And once again we overcame. It was apparently the last engagement of the mission. All told I reckon a really conservative estimate for A3 is 20 confirmed kills. It was easily, my greatest FA outing to date.

And I ended up forgetting about the Makarov. Must've just gotten really used to it. Snuggled away, down there.

And yes, Roundabout video footage! Please!

Satire

Post by Satire »

Radio Free Hazar OPFOR A1 AT Rifleman

A1 took up residence in the swanky mansion in front of one of the objectives and waited for the enemy to approach. We took a lot of bullets but I never saw anyone. Easy victory. Also, who the hell was in the tractor that charged at the mansion?

Roundabout A2 AT Rifleman

Well, we didn't have quite as much fun as A3 but got to shoot some Russians regardless. Pushing up the valley we made contact with a patrol on the other side of the compound we holed up in, and they were swiftly dealt with. After a while being overflown by several choppers we couldn't see for the fog, we got sent up through town towards the lake. We had super close contact with a Russian squad, somehow took them out without casualties, and I liberated myself an RPK to replace my crappy AKSU. Sadly I only got to fire it once since A3 killed everybody in the Area!

Kastro Defence INDFOR A-something AR

The Moon Moon Castle Massacre lives up to expectations. My fireteam and another attack the gates and we all get wiped out at the front entrance. I get to watch from spectator as the flanking force gets picked off by Blufor or eaten by rocks. Personally, I'd recommend adding a mortar to the INDFOR side so they can suppress the gate defenders and put down an effective smokescreen. That or hope Bohemia add siege towers.

A Friend in Need OPFOR A2 FTL

My first time FTL'ing! Ever! I managed to get my team separated on the advance (or tactical hiking holiday) but formed up for the assault. We took the MRAP crew on board, got into a good position and our opening barrage took out at least 3 hostiles, but their return fire did the same to us, including killing me. I think next time I need to keep a closer eye on the map and make sure everyone is clear on when to shoot, but as least I didn't get as lost as Kale!
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

Crocuta

Post by Crocuta »

Expanded Mandate: Kettle Commander. My first time commanding a T-72, with daf as driver and Tired Hippo gunning. :dance: I had NVGs, but no zoom and a terrible FOV (but I guess you can't have everything. I was happy with my four 150 round DshkM clips, though). I tried to keep us safe and/or in a hull-down position, figuring that we'd be most useful for the counter attack, but were told to charge long before then. Driving straight towards the objective, we took SPG fire from the base of the hill. Somehow, I managed to bail first and survive, and ran to Gong-1 to load up for the charge. Disembarking, I was very soon shot and then my wounded body driven over by the BMP (it didn't really hurt me, I just thought it would be funny to blame Dancemoox.)

Radio Free Hazar: Indfor A2 FTL. Mansion in sight.....and then all dead.

Roundabout: A2 AR. Funny that it was only last week that I was looking at the map of Takistan and realised that I'd never been to Shamali. Alpha 2 had a mostly uneventful mission, and could hear Gaius in Alpha 3 calling and clearing all of the bunkers. I'll upload the footage, but I don't really think that it'll interest anyone.

Kastro Defence: Indfor A2 FTL. I really like the idea and location of this mission, but the chokepoint at the front entrance is really a big problem. Indfor need more ways in. Is the castle wall destructible? Would a bunch of transport little birds along with an armed little bird work out better?

A Friend In Need: Indfor A1 AT. We waited. Head played us music. I was the only one with any kind of optics (AT), and when Gaius called out a contact I ran to his position to confirm, and took fire from the SE. It ended up with AkKind and I on opposite sides of the road trying to communicate enemy positions and coordinate fire, until...

Code: Select all

{"grenade" createVehicle (getPos _x)} forEach playableUnits
The first thing that I could think of was the Ifrit somehow being armed with cluster bombs and misfiring on their own position. A few moments later I hear clattering, really close, and AkKind exclaims "wtf was that?", so I figured it was stray TS noises. :argh:

Gaia

Post by Gaia »

Croc, I would be so happy if you were to post that video. If for any other reason than figuring out whether my radio chatter was too obnoxious or not.

Roundabout was possibly the most fun mission I've ever been in. I only had a single confirmed kill, but I felt no less badass for leading A3 to victory.

I felt that my command of A Friend in Need was a little disappointing. Though I do feel that it was a bit of a lost cause. There was way too much terrain to cover with way too few men.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Gaius : As Alpha SL i would say that your radio chatter was perfectly all right. You always gave me the information i needed when you encountered something, and its pretty great not having to ask what's happening when i hear bullets flying around me.
I always strive to make you as weirded out as possible anyways, so well done under the circumstances. As it should be. I felt informed throughout and that is ++.

I'm a bit sorry for A1 and 2's somewhat uneventful ride, but A3 was on a roll.

Crocuta

Post by Crocuta »

Here's the raw footage of Roundabout:

audiox wrote:I'm a bit sorry for A1 and 2's somewhat uneventful ride, but A3 was on a roll.
Still more fun than Wasteland.

Homercleese

Post by Homercleese »

Croc, I implore you to upload that footage. If only for the outside chance that you caught some of Gaius' singing. I'd do anything to hear it again.

Aaaaanything.

Speak of the devil .... Cheers Croc!