[Sun] 13 Oct 2013 (USMC is coming)

How we died
wolfenswan

[Sun] 13 Oct 2013 (USMC is coming)

Post by wolfenswan »

45 comrades, much death and a weeping A3 server. Good times!

ArmA 2
  • Creeping Crumpets
  • Fighting Withdrawal
  • Steam Rolla
ArmA 3
  • King of the Hill
  • Hillside View
  • Convoy - Mission Test

dancemoox

Re: [Sun] 13 Oct 2013 (USMC is coming)

Post by dancemoox »

I shall post a more detailed AAR after I get some sleep, I shall however share two snaps from A3 tonight..

Kale becoming one with Alphas transport

My cold dead eyes, and rather nice captured beanie
ramming speed!

Fluffeh

Post by Fluffeh »

Creeping Crumpets - BLUfor Alpha 3 AAR
As part of the elite "special" forces sent in to "stealthily" blow up 3 enemy caches, we spawned in with suppressed assault rifles and satchel charges. As expected, we met enemy resistance shortly thereafter, taking rifle and grenade launcher fire. Against expectations, we were able to push through, and planted charges on the first set of containers. Suddenly, we were informed that the mission was over, so we didn't need to blow up the cache after all.

Pfffffft.

Fighting Withdrawal - Alpha 1 AAR
Escaping in Takistan is always a tricky business, usually involving screaming, blood, and sand getting everywhere. This mission proved no different, with Alpha losing it's AR to connection issues shortly after dismounting in the first village, then losing our FTL shortly before an open terrain uphill charge on an enemy bunker.

How many soldiers can they fit into one bunker!?!
After securing said bunker and the area surrounding it, we realized that with that many dead bodies in the summer heat, it was probably a considerable bio-hazard, and pushed forward to begin hunting the Scud missle. Said missile was promptly located, and destroyed with RPG fire. We then took turns getting shot and administering first aid behind some rocks until the ASL was killed, at which point we decided it was probably about time to leave. We rendezvoused the two remaining Vodniks, and successfully reached the extraction point.

Steam Rolla - Bravo 1 AT
Steam roller indeed. There is no victory, only pain to be had when facing the massed USMC, but Bravo 1 fared well enough in the initial engagement. We were able to take out a fair number of infantry, and I knocked out two incoming amtracks with my RPG. For this stellar performance, we were designated the sacrifice covering element as the rest of the force pulled back to the second defense line. Already low on ammo, and under heavy fire, things went about as well as you'd expect.

Despite the AI's reluctance to actually cross the defensive ramparts, the team was inevitably overrun. Also, some... interesting theories on data security were discussed while waiting in the dead channel.

King of the Hill - BLUfor Alpha 1 AT
After the might of 45 comrades desynched the server in the initial co-op, we switched to a neat little adversarial that had both teams racing to take and hold the flag at the center of the castle. Bravo rushed the point and held, while Alpha took up a position south of the castle to try and catch OPfor as they moved towards the castle. OPfor ended up taking a more roundabout path, however, so we did not actually make contact until flanking around to the rear entrance of the castle, at which point our fireteam was mowed down by an AR in the gateway. BLUfor ended up winning, however, after some questionable closing conflicts.

Hillside View - Bravo 3 AR
Although we avoided the mass-desynch server deaths of earlier, connection issues again plagued our fireteam, temporarily claiming our FTL as we moved towards the first rendevous point. Bravo then cleared a small group of buildings, before the FTL, and then I, died in short order to a very accurate AI. I heard mumblings of a mistake in AI skill levels, and observed as the squads pushed forward against a now slightly less lethal enemy force, but were still slowly whittled down to nothing. But I got to use a pistol during my admittedly brief life, so I still count it as a moral victory.
It's not gay if you have combat boots on.

lazerdx

Post by lazerdx »

Hell, you guys played Creeping Crumpets? Apologies if the experience was terrible; it was a strange experiment in making a mission that used assets from both the original ARMA II and OA (and was never tested in a proper multiplayer environment to begin with). If it was bad, I would advise everyone to tell me specifically why in this thread!

dancemoox

Post by dancemoox »

Creeping Crumpets - Bluefor Alpha 3 AT - AntlerOwl FTL Zenzos AR Fluffeh AAR

Shhh be weeryweery quiet we're hunting insurgents and shipping containers.. A3 was dispatched up slope to the west, I spotted a long contact down in the valley between two trees. I requested permission to fire in the precious few seconds my target moved out of sight, someone in the town fired and my target returned taking the opportunity I fired a few rounds, down he went as the first casualty - as it turned out he was Audiox the enemy CO 8-)

As we moved forward towards the town I attempted to get a view down the road into town from inside a tree, all I could see for a second was a searchlight then the flash of the HMG zipping me :(

Fighting Withdrawal - BPPU Gunner - Dabbo Driver

We lead the convoy and Dabbo was the first to die, the first in a series of people to die. It seems the Vodnik was cursed and anyone that crewed the vehicle was doomed to die! After Dabbo was killed by fire from the first town Waffly took over as driver and used the radio cabin to issue his orders from 'relative' safety. The lack of zoom on the Dalek like optics proved to be an issue, I used HE rounds to take out watchtowers and bunkers along the way, but spotting EI moving at distance was difficult. Along the way IFV 2 lost a wheel to a rogue RPG, they got in and I had a dedicated driver again, we stopped half way to Alpha and were under fire, losing crew left and right. Deciding that we'd parked in a bad neighbourhood Waffles got behind the wheel and got us up to where Alpha was shooting at everything, I joined in firing off the last of my HE rounds before switching to MG. Somehow I died, the vodnik was in mint condition but I had died along with Dabbo and IFV2 crew. As the mission ended CO Waffly got run over by the demented Dalek..

Steam Rolla - Alpha Medic - Bones ASL

I had to cut off Bones and his inspirational speech as Amtracks were about to squish us, I moved up and down the Alpha defensive line to keep my spirits up and listen for any wounded. I heard Audiox let out a cry, I think he'd gotten a splinter from the barricade and I soon had him less audible. I had a lovely view of Bravo taking a direct hit and was alarmed by the double strike behind our position on the hillside. Artillery landed on Audio and his fireteam, somehow by some miracle only Audio was wounded - clearly the metal plates he had fitted to keep his brain inside due to previous injuries saved his life. The US Marines had pushed beyond our defensive line to the north in the wooded area, we were taking casualties on our northern flank, I threw out some smoke and got one guy up before Bones went down. I got to him and had begun the healing hand waving when I was shot by the marines, clearly they don't like the Geneva convention very much!

King of the Hill - Indi Bravo Squad Lead - B1 Head B2 Mamuto

On the run up to the castle myself and Guss my medic got pinned down outside the castle, Guss died in what's rapidly becoming the A3 way, quickly and without warning. I was able to regroup with CO Super once he took care of the immediate threat. I moved into the castle and met up with B2. I didn't stay alive for very long, with contacts from the south I popped from behind cover to fire GP and was killed.

Hillside View - Alpha 1 AR - AudioX FTL Kale AAR Mr-Link AT

It's almost as if we did this before, but with more flying vehicles explosions and disappearing people... A1 lived until we bounded to the second building inside the red AO. I cleared the shack and killed the lone EI inside, outside Audio was killed as was Mr-Link, Kale seemed to be alive and was still in channel but unresponsive, in the end I declared him legally dead, stole a beenie from the EI I killed inside the shack and grouped in with ASL. I spotted some guys on the attack to the windmills and engaged them without incident, I was then offered as a replacement to each of the Alpha fireteams and rejected by them all, then dispatched to A2, I however got lost along the way and joined A3. I remained with them as we shot at targets down the hill and once I realised we were 5 not 4 in the fireteam I made my excuses and departed for A2. I arrived just as the IFV was pulling back under fire. I made my first words 'hello everyone, we should move now' I was in line with the fireteam leader explaining that I'd gotten attached to A3 by mistake when mid bound and mid conversation he dropped dead, I also took a bullet and made it to a low wall where I went prone, the top of my bitching beenie must have just been sticking out as I was killed seconds later..

Convoy - Mission Test - IFV Gunner - Tink Driver

Slow IFV is slloooowwww.. I used up all the 40mm HE on targets in the first town and round about, then it was onto guns, the issue with protecting a convoy twice the speed of you is that once it's out of range the AI tend to focus all attention onto the slow moving and murderous IFV.. I escaped the immobile IFV moments before it exploded, and boy did it explode and keep going..
ramming speed!

Satire

Post by Satire »

Creeping Crumpets Blufor A1 AR

A pretty uneventful mission, being the AR I was on weapons hold until we were fired upon, the spent my time suppressing targets. Some sneaky Indfor made it round our right flank but were promptly shot up by our fireteam. I like the used of Takistani Indfor in Chernarus, made for a change of pace, but it did confuse us at first sice I was expecting NAPA!

Fighting Withdrawal A1 AT Rifleman

Connection issues lost us our AR early on and bullets lost us our FTL after. After clearing the bunker of death we hold up for a while and sent fire over to the fortifications on the other side before moving to destroy the SCUD and get the hell out. Somewhere along the way I accidentally joined the wrong sqaud and had to run around like a headless chicken, but I also landed an RPG snap shot on a UAZ which made up for it.

Steam Rolla B1 FTL

It was pretty clear from the outset that we were all going to die, but B1 put in a sterling performance, claiming at 2 IFV's and various infantry. Somehow we all managed to avoid getting killed until the retreat was called, then we went down like flies. After reassuring a defeatist comrade, I advised the survivors to retreat and began the long crawl to freedom, which was cut short by Yankee bullets.

King of the Hill B2 FTL

The plan was simple, rush the castle, get there first and kill the attackers. B2 got into place on the south eastern end, with my AR team covering whilst I went into the bunkers on the road with my AT man to flank. We laid low until the enemy was inside the castle and attacked their rear, and according to debrief I think we got their CO. After a less successful run round the steep side (No way in) I spotted the last of Indfor in the centre of the castle and went in for the kill. I wasn't recording but that's me in Fluffeh's video.

Hillside View IFV Gunner

I expected to have an IFV commander for this to tell me what to do but my initial crew got rolled into fireteams which dropped me in charge. Also, navigating in woods with no GPS is hard. It was my first time running IFV with FA but hopefully I wasn't too useless! I've put up the video so if anyone has any comments or criticisms feel free to let me know. That said, I think it went pretty well, with a tally of 2 Striders, 1 Technical, a static emplacement and at least a squad of hostiles. Also, that Marid is tough as nails, we were still operational with red wheel and hull and only bailed because we ran out of ammo.

Convoy Medical Truck Driver

Opfor clearly violated the Geneva convention by firing on a medical vehicle clearly marked with the red cross. Sure, said vehicle had just run three of them over but it's beside the point!
Last edited by Satire on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

harakka

Post by harakka »

Satire wrote: I expected to have an IFV commander for this to tell me what to do but my initial crew got rolled into fireteams which dropped me in charge. Also, navigating in woods with no GPS is hard. It was my first time running IFV with FA but hopefully I wasn't too useless! I've put up the video so if anyone has any comments or criticisms feel free to let me know. That said, I think it went pretty well, with a tally of 2 Striders, 1 Technical, a static emplacement and at least a squad of hostiles. Also, that Marid is tough as nails, we were still operational with red wheel and hull and only bailed because we ran out of ammo.
As your humble driver, I was very happy with your vehicle commanding. You gave clear, concise instructions. This was also my first time in a vehicle in A3, outside of some editor testing, so I think overall we did fine. It is amazing how much Arma 3 has improved on the vehicle experience. Rocks and other obstacles no longer seem to carry the risk of immediately transforming your vehicle into a fireball, rough terrain is actually navigable, and once damaged a vehicle can still be driveable and useful.

All that's missing now is a tire replacement script... 8-)

Edit: daym... I thought I saw something fly past us when we were engaging those first infantry contacts... Look carefully, just before the rocket guy falls down.
Me and him, we're from different ancient tribes. Now we're both almost extinct. Sometimes you gotta stick with the ancient ways, the old school ways. I know you understand me.

Satire

Post by Satire »

Thanks, I was hoping it went well. I never even saw that rocket until you pointed it out, I don't even think I want to know about the ones we didn't see!

Also, I found this snippet of Steam Rolla that shows the sheer tactical Genius of the USMC flanking maneuver.

Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.