[Sun] 20 Oct 2013 (Combined Arms)

How we died
fer

[Sun] 20 Oct 2013 (Combined Arms)

Post by fer »

ArmA 2 Missions:
  • Farm Raid
  • UNder Pressure
Two hosts tonight, so this is Fer kicking off this AAR thread with a few notes on the ArmA 2 portion of tonight, which saw at least 45 comrades leap into action to kill each other and the enemy (sometimes managing to do that in adversarial and coop missions respectively, sometimes not so much). Thanks to everyone who came along, and in particular for the very smooth slotting in both missions. I haven't hosted in many weeks due to a change in work circumstances, but it was a real pleasure tonight.

The ArmA 2 portion of the session began in the purple fog of Proving Grounds, as OPFOR attempted to kill an outnumbered INDFOR squad in comrade Wolfenswan's Farm Raid. Despite enjoying an almost 2:1 advantage in numbers, OPFOR's simplistic plan saw their human wave break upon the defences of INDFOR for almost no effect. It also didn't help that the defenders had found some ingenious hiding positions (comrade Helios was particularly deadly in his little under-the-patio spot, but later died standing up). Next, we took on comrade Wolfenswan's UNder Pressure with two full squads of infantry, supported by two IFVs, two APCs, two MMG attachments and some engineers - all under the command of comrade CO Tigershark. In a slow and methodical advance we fought our way through the northern outskirts of Zargabad until to the city itself. Despite enemy SPGs and other nastinesses the platoon made good progress, and it wasn't until we entered Zargabad itself that our casualties went from manageable to disastrous - mostly because a car-bomb had levelled the mosque, forcing us to switch to a thunder-run through deadly streets. When it became apparent that the documents we sought were buried under the rubble of the mosque, and a lot of our troops required burial themselves, we abandoned the mission. As Bravo SL, I was really impressed to see us handle combined arms pretty well tonight. A few notes, however, that I'd like to share:
  • COs make plans: If you're taking a CO slot, please remember that we don't plan by committee: don't ask your SLs for suggestions about the overall plan or a critique during the briefing. We also expect you to generate a plan that has a little more thought to it than a 'zerg rush'; doesn't have to be any more complex than standard bounds or a fix'n'fire plus flank; but it should be a plan that makes use of the different elements (squads, attachments).
  • Some FTLs are more likely to be promoted than others: If you're taking an FTL slot but want to avoid becoming an SL, head for the B3 and A3 fireteams (in that order, of you can); taking A1 or B1 FTL makes it far more likely that you'll find yourself scrambling onto CC and wondering how to salvage our latest clusterfuck.
  • If you get promoted, the others are counting on you: Everyone benefits from our chain of command in the mission, which includes those people that weren't particularly senior at the start (you!). If you find yourself leading a squad or even the whole platoon, please do your best to step up and lead - this is your way of meeting some of your responsibilities to other comrades. It's perfectly okay to issue some orders that get everyone killed (hey, this is FA!), but issue orders you must.
If you can keep these thoughts in mind next time, the Party will be grateful (and reduce random arrests by 5%). Okay, handing on to comrade host SuperU now ...

ArmA 3 Missions:
  • Downed Bird
  • Hillside View
  • The Church of kerry
    After Party
  • Downed Bird

Dannysaysnoo

Re: [Sun] 20 Oct 2013 (Combined Arms)

Post by Dannysaysnoo »

A2

Farm Raid - Alpha SL

Bravery and valiance were no match for hiding and cowardice. :<

UNder Pressure - Alpha Medic

Under Ferrard's glorious leadership, Alpha Medic was ACTION MEDIC. The mission was pretty standard, until we got into Zargabad. Carson lost his pulse behind some cover, and after A2 helped me back up, we moved in, under some valiant, yet shaky leadership. It wasn't long until what I assume is a ghost, shot me out of nowhere. :<

A3

Downed Bird - Alpha 1 FTL

After one of A2 dropped out mid-flight, and one of A1 left and rejoined the chopper in one of it's drop offs, we made it to our drop off. There, someone in Alpha dropped a grenade. Oh dear.

We kept moving, snaking through some rather sparse cover, until we made it to the terminal. I don't remember much after that. Bullet wounds do that often.

Hillside View - Alpha Medic

A lovely stroll with Head!

After much death, and the occasional healing, me and Head made it into the town stealthily. When Head went down, I went on a roaring rampage of revenge. After murdering his aggressor, I moved into a wee house, that was occupied. Blam. Deed.

The Church of Kerry - Alpha 2 FTL

Me and A2 set up in some lovely positions. So lovely, that the enemy moved right in on them, and took them from us.

Downed Bird again - Dodo Pilot

Third time's a charm! Me and 'Moox took a lovely walk up some stairs, and looked upon some lovely lighting effects. For some reason, Moon Moon ran down and out, and died! Beset with grief, a grenade going off below me was my signal. Charging down the stairs, and screaming for help, I'm pretty sure I was shot by INDFOR. D:

dancemoox

Post by dancemoox »

Thanks very much to Comrades Fer and Super for hosting tonight.

Farm Raid - Indi Medic - Inverselaw SL

I went around with Inverse setting up spot lights, turning on car headlights and then retreating back to the pig shed. Inverse was still making the rounds and got some GP shrapnel, I fired in the direction I thought the enemy would be and dashed out throwing smoke, saying my secret medic mantra I was able to get Inverse up without getting shot. I returned to the relative safety of the pig shed, dragging in a wounded Gaius along the way, as it turned out he was a dead Gaius - seeing as I needed it more than he did I grabbed his rifle and started lobbing grenades out the door. I was able to kill an attacker breaking cover, three round burst out the window and he was dead. Inverse gave the order to pull back to the pig shed and dig in, the remains of A1 reported contacts close so I fired more GP out into the darkness. A2 wasn't able to pull back to the barn so Inverse and I pushed up to relive the fire on them, I found two wounded enemies, first crawling towards A2 the second was perilously close to a T34 doing it's warm up dance routine..

UNder Pressure - MMG 2 Assistant - Wolfenswan Gunner

I've missed you Carson you make the best map markers. I spotted all of the targets that I could, both for Wolf and for everyone else - marking mines and technicals far far away. At the second BOF I spotted a M2 Technical and was busy marking it when two locals stumbled up onto Wolf and I, I got out of map and killed them quickly, this brought the attention of the Technical and scrambling back behind cover I took rounds to the legs. Danny was able to give me a new set and I was off saying up left right right to Wolf in no time.

As we pushed forwards MMG1 lost its gunner, Wolf sent me to grab as much of the ammo as possible, along the way I upgraded to a M16 with always welcome M203, when I got to the body of MG1 gunner I found he'd been stripped already. Returning to Wolf I was pleased to see Tigershark driving up in his command UAZ, I was horrified to see HMG fire light him up, getting to the UAZ I found him dead, I had to heal up Wolf who had taken some HMG fire himself.

We pushed with Alpha into the dry river bed and after getting Gaius going in the right direct we moved into a hillside building, found it to be rather hot. We moved outside and Wolf was shot again, bullets were skipping all over the place. Carson died, someone took over and then I died.. That hillside was rather deadly.

Downed Bird - Dodo Pilot - Super Copilot

Please give some feedback on this mission, I'm going to make some improvements in the coming week to make it better :science101:

With the promise of a rice cake I was lead away from my destroyed heli and forced onto a balcony inside the terminal. After a spell I was given a first aid kit to patch myself up with and from time to time I tried my best to stand up and hopefully get spotted by the rescue forces. Somehow the rescue force didn't see me standing up and fired grenades at the balcony, I was showered in broken glass and took a little shrapnel.. As the battle heated up I allowed Lieutenant SuperU to give his name, rank and number to the enemy, when they suggestion of executing us was made I made my break running onto the rooftop and attempting to secure a weapon. Due to the slope I wasn't able to and was summarily executed..

Hillside View - Charlie FTL - Super AR - New Sealz AR / AT

I got to ride inside the IVF and found that Super has an obsession with touching my knee.. I was also able to pretend to be in the Secret Service running along side a motorcade, half expecting the IFV to explode at any second.. I lost Super along the way and loaded my guys up again after making contact with the lost Bravo. Charlie lived to assault the town, but were picked apart once the IFV crew joined us.. Dead bodies really need to stop pulling down cover, leads to my death :x

The Church of Kerry Mooon Moooon!

I dispatched my followers to hold the town, deciding that the infidel Super would attack from the east. I had Initiate Draakon hold the area around the chapel, Initiate Danny further east and new recruits displaced from the ocean at the north side of town. I kept my watch up and watched the time tick by, Danny had contact, east and south on the hillside, A1 moved to the south side and I held A3 in place, as A2 killed and gave their lives for me to live I moved A3 into town on the north side of the road. I must say the tension did build with two minutes remaining, A3 had to pull back, I had one of the new recruits check that my escape van was drivable, as soon as 15 minutes passed I was out the chapel and hightailing it out the west side of town then driving south!

Was there some ending bugs with that mission? I got FIA wins on my screen once I passed outside the AO. Others had AAF wins?

Downed Bird Night Edition - Dodo Copilot - Danny Pilot

A few false starts, but eventually night re-run was a go! Forced up into the control tower I was able to hide my secret non-weapon and waited for my chance to escape.. I was able to affix my secret non-weapon once the guards were distracted by the rescue team, with improved visuals I saw the stairs down were clear and made a break, annoyingly Head was guarding the door at ground level, if it wasn't for him I'd have made it!
ramming speed!

Satire

Post by Satire »

Farm Raid OPFOR B1 AR

Our human wave became more of a human trickle as we we picked off and bled dry by the defenders. Trying to sneak trough the downed chopper was my downfall, attracting a fair few bullets for my troubles.

UNder Pressure Engineer 1 Assistant

A pretty quiet first half of the mission saw us clearing mines and patching up the Gongs but we lost our FTL to enemy fire. We folded into a six strong team with survivors from Bravo for the push into the city. After clearing mines for the IFV's I got shot by an AI from miiiiles away.

Downed Bird - Take 1 INDFOR A2 FTL

As for the mission, i'll leave it to the video. And yes, I did break VON silence thirty seconds after I recommended it...

As for feedback, I really liked the setup. The only thing I'd add would be transport Littlebirds for the INDFOR for aerial observation super-tacticool roof assaults. But more on that later.

Hillside View MAT Gunner

Again, a pretty quiet first half, we just trailed behind Alpha keeping an eye out with Thermals on the luncher. Once we reached the windmills I knocked out 2 striders then went off to look for more ammo in our IFV. After that we backtracked, only to get killed by a random AAF guy sitting in our rear area. :?

The Church of Kerry BLUFOR A2 AT Rifleman

We took the East end of town and dug in. I spotted pretty much the whole of INDFOR, called it in and opened fire. Then all hell opened up. Having several 200 round belts of tracer joined by GP and rifle fire shooting at one house makes for one hell of a lightshow. It also suppresses you so much that you can just walk up and shoot the guy, as I found out. Still we bought time for out beloved leader to escape, so it's a moral victory.

Downed Bird - Take 2 INDFOR CO

Well, to be honest, my plan would have been fantastic if it worked. The idea was to have a dummy LZ to fool the enemy, then circle around and land on the roof. Unfortunately it's pretty hard to land a Mohawk on a roof at night whilst being shot at, so a hasty plan b was formed. Land on the car park, assault and secure the hostages. By the time we'd got into the terminal it became clear the enemy were in the Control tower. The hostages were killed and we lost :(
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

Mamuto

Post by Mamuto »

Satire wrote: Downed Bird - Take 1 INDFOR A2 FTL

As for the mission, i'll leave it to the video. And yes, I did break VON silence thirty seconds after I recommended it...

As for feedback, I really liked the setup. The only thing I'd add would be transport Littlebirds for the INDFOR for aerial observation super-tacticool roof assaults. But more on that later.
At 9:17, that was me (MMG) lighting you guys up from the control tower 400-500 meters away. It's REALLY cool to see that it did scare you guys, I honestly had no idea if I was hitting close from that range. Btw, a very very well done assault in this mission; the double landing really did work.

Agreed with the littlebirds, I want to shoot some out of the sky :clint:

Gaia

Post by Gaia »

Dannysaysnoo wrote:UNder Pressure - Alpha Medic

Under Ferrard's glorious leadership, Alpha Medic was ACTION MEDIC. The mission was pretty standard, until we got into Zargabad. Carson lost his pulse behind some cover, and after A2 helped me back up, we moved in, under some valiant, yet shaky leadership. It wasn't long until what I assume is a ghost, shot me out of nowhere. :<
Yeah, sorry about that valiant but shaky leadership. When Carson died, A2 was pinned down in a house. Opfor must have poured a thousand+ rounds into that house, and I was more than a little shaken. If there had been any other FTL's still up, I would have delegated, but I was all that was left.

I will post a full AAR later. I just wanted to explain my shakiness during that mission.

Then again, I think we were all shaken up by that point. I had chosen A2 so I would have a low chance of SLing, but that gun fire just took out so many that we were lucky to have a single FTL left at all...

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

During UNderPressure.....I thought it was a good idea to drive up to the troops as a morale boosting thing. You know...pat on the back, let them bask in my glory, perhaps give them the pleasure of fetching me tea. Unfortunately, the only remaining EI in the compound Ferrard was aiming to clear spotted me and somehow pulled an insane angle snipe shot on me as approached. :siiigh:

I drove forward because I laugh in the face of danger. Unfortunately, I cry like a little girl in the face of death. :psypop:
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Fluffeh

Post by Fluffeh »

Great fun, great fun.

Farm Raid - INDfor Alpha 1 Rifleman

Alpha 1 set up on the northwest corner of the compound, getting a nice flank on the enemy as they pushed from the southwest. Shots were traded back and forth, and (un)fortunately, I avoided dying with the rest of my fireteam, falling back to the central barn until eventual victory.

UNder Pressure - Alpha 2 AAR

Woke up to find this on my hard drive, yet with no memory of making it:

inb4 DMCA.

What with Gaius playing a Sergeant perpetually two days from retirement, and I a rookie only a few weeks in to my first tour of duty, combined with our unparalleled ability to make charges headlong over open ground, we came to the conclusion that we were, in fact, the Bad Company Fireteam. Quite a fun run of the mission, though; it's a shame we had to cut it short over time.

Downed Bird - INDfor Alpha 2 Submachine Gunner
This was a fun little extract mission, though I think it might be interesting to give the commander a little more leeway in insertion choice; littlebirds are just too much fun not to use in a situation like that. It might also be interesting to give everyone SMGs to force close quarters fighting; the damage drop off on those PDWs is pretty steep. Also, MMGs are scary:

Hillside View
- Alpha 2 AAR
I was just pretty much a bad luck charm for whoever I was with in this one. Things went fairly smoothly as we advanced through rocky terrain towards the wind farm, and then A2 hit close contact. As the only survivor, I was merged with A1. Or, rather, I would have been, if they hadn't been dead. Instead, I linked up with MAT. While returning from retrieving additional missiles, we ran into an AI that had somehow wandered into our rear. Of course, as he nonchalantly jogged towards us, we didn't realize he was an enemy until he promptly shot Satire. After redistributing Satire's gear, we ran to catch up with the rest of the force. Unfortunately, we never made it, running full tilt into another rogue fireteam and getting cut down by it in short order.

The Church of Kerry - BLUfor Alpha 1 AR
Alpha 1 had the distinction of being Father Dancemoox's personal guard, placed closest to his chapel as the last line of defense. Of course, Alpha 2 and 3 proved no match for the opposition, easily holding them back until the ritual was complete, and Dancemoox was able to escape shortly thereafter.

Downed Bird Night Edition - INDfor Alpha 1 Submachine Gunner
After the mission was finally started with the correct settings, commander Satire took the joking suggestion of "Just land right on the f**king thing" a little too seriously, and conceived the admittedly badass plan to fake the initial landing and then insert via the terminal roof. Unfortunately, we all forgot that we were in a CH-49 until it came time to land, at which point it was decided that perhaps a traditional landing was a better idea. Of course, we started trading fire as soon as we dismounted, but I was able to push up and into the control tower, trading grenades with the residents on the top floor, shooting at (and missing) a hostage, and shooting at (and hitting) an enemy. And then we discovered that both
It's not gay if you have combat boots on.

Homercleese

Post by Homercleese »

Farm Raid
Bravo 2 FTL

OpFOR, The Wolves (seriously, that's what the briefing said) had a plan. We wanted what the Farm had and we had a plan to take it. That's all there was to it. Bravo would be on the right of the advance and approach from the south FAST, Alpha on the left from the south-west, also FAST. Under cover of roadside ditch we moved east, noticing searchlights come on as we moved, and then directly north and advanced rapidly. It was working! There was no opposing fire, no opposition to even fire on! They'd heard the Wolves were out for blood and had run, gibbering with fear! Well in sight of the main stable buildings, B2 moved up to a bombed out shell on the outskirts. Still no contacts, it's ours, a little disappointing though; I had been hoping for a new skull-mug. Then gunshots, and I think all but one of B2 was down.

A different kind of disappointment.

UNder Pressure
Alpha 2 AR

Gaius put out the call for a Barbershop FT reunion which I couldn't resist and despite terror at the prospect that he might for nostalgia sake, try to recreate another man (in truck) vs mine incident, all previous members were assembled.

A cautious, methodical approach from SL Ferrard, Alpha proceeded down the eastern road south with the MMGs while Bravo and the Engineers cleared the western road south for the BMP and two M113s.
Pretty slow start but gathered pace and soon I was (in my mind) saving the entire squad from cunningly placed DShK's in compound after compound. I also succeeded in my secondary objectives of getting Ferrard angry at Gaius by reporting that the compound marked 'fixed mg' had in fact been taken by friendlies. When in fact it pretty definitely hadn't and I was just seeing the nametags of people standing behind/beside me. Oh well, he was only two days from retirement anyway. And I did shoot someone (possibly an elderly grandmother) when our western forces finally moved on the compound.
After an uncertain manoeuvre onto an open field, A1 and 2 were tasked with clearing a compound to the south-west. No DShk's this time, just a few board-with-a-nail-in-it armed Mujahideen, one of which I fearlessly aerated earning a second life debt from Gaius.
Took positions in the houses on the south side of the compound with eyes on Zargabad itself. I got into some good cover, IT WAS GOOD DAMNIT, and was promptly surgically sniped.

It did my spirits good to see A2 so consumed with grief that they dragged my body around the porch of the house, in full view, for a good 2 minutes. And didn't come under fire at all regardless that they were presenting perfect targets. Not that I wanted them dead. No, of course not. Never that.

Their next move was south-west again to a lovely house on a hill, with a great view. And I spent 5 minutes shouting at my monitor for just one of my still breathing comrades to just poke around the south-west side of the building and knock out the EI, right at the foundations who was putting brutal fire on one of the other Alpha elements. That would've been way out of character for Bad FT though.

Downed Bird
Alpha 2-3 SMG

Yep, A3 definately stole the early show, 1 member dropped at the start, another dropped from the chopper. That coupled with 2 or 3 grenade... incidents, left the demo responsibility squarely on Dabbo and Pickers. And then Pickers took a dislike to a garage we were taking cover behind and primed it with a satchel. We decided to advance.
Came under heavy fire on approach to the terminal but took no additional casualties until we breached then I became a bit confused as the enemy did not look like BluFOR, they were a bit too military casual. Moved up through the main hall with Satire on my right until he wasn't. Just before (whatever Satire's video would seem to suggest) his killer broke cover, I hit reload and had a fairly panicked moment watching the guy see me and apparently, come in for some face time. Put him down before he could get more than one nibble, and with A2 gone I joined Mr-Link, went to retrieve Satire's rifle, and got real dead.

Good fun.

Hillside View
Bravo AT

Bravo moved up on the right side of the road and things went pretty smoothly, minimal contacts dealt with comfortably. We crested and cleared the hill to the south of the wind turbines and came into close contact with a patrol. Moved forward to engage, got eyes, went prone, got oneshotheadshot. Enjoyable up till then but yeah, really waiting for that AI adjustment. The rest of bravo got taken apart by similar accuracy.

Question to the mission-maker; The two technicals north of the turbines seem to be decrewed by default. Does the EI load mounted up and just decide to bail or are both technicals empty on start?

The Church of Kerry
Alpha 2 AR

Moved north on the right hillside of our advance in defilade from the town and crested on an outlying building. We had a good overview so A2 put fire on it while A1 advanced to clear. I don't think I hit anything but had great fun pouring a belt and a half through the windows. Glad to hear from the aboves AARs that it had an affect.
With that house safe we moved into town, this time we moved in the open, up the main street. Not too comfortable. Antler got grilled passing a house on the right but when I checked it all the EI were already dead. A bit confused, I realised I had the FT now but just as I was about to give some commands that would no doubt have won us the day, we, eh, lost.
Last edited by Homercleese on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Homer use only the last part of the link in youtube brackets.

So it should look like this [youtube]*iXlskUxlI7E*[/youtube] and of course you have to remove the *
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott