SuperU

Re: [Sun] 20 Oct 2013 (Combined Arms)

Post by SuperU »

Downed Bird part 2 vid

Satire

Post by Satire »

Mamuto wrote:
At 9:17, that was me (MMG) lighting you guys up from the control tower 400-500 meters away. It's REALLY cool to see that it did scare you guys, I honestly had no idea if I was hitting close from that range. Btw, a very very well done assault in this mission; the double landing really did work.

Agreed with the littlebirds, I want to shoot some out of the sky :clint:
According to the plan, Our MMG was supposed to be in that tower and nobody told me otherwise! Thanks for making our already risky open ground assault absolutely terrifying!
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

Terminal Boy

Post by Terminal Boy »

A2 - Farm Raid

Hawks Alpha 1 Rifleman. FTL: Gaius, Riflemen Fluffeh and Spitnam.

Tasked with defending the NW corner of the farm, Gaius got us positioned in cover to watch this sector. I laid a shiny AT mine in what I though was good spot to catch the enemy's IFV and I'm hoping it wasn't my mine that Fluffeh triggered (he must have been wearing a very heavy hat or something)..

On hearing contacts to the SW, FTL Gaius ordered us to move to engage the new threat. I caught up with him in time to witness him have a Pulp Fictionesque "I can't believe he missed me" moment as a raided had emptied most of a magazine at him from point blank range and missed with every shot.

I joined Gaius in shooting the prone enemy many times and managed to put a couple more raiders out of their sparkly purple post-apocalyptic misery before I was gunned down.

A2 - UNder Pressure

APC 2 Driver - Zitron Gunner/VC

We gradually moved up shadowing GONG-1 (which lost its gunner at some point) and providing rear security for Bravo's push along the MSR. Just as I thought we should be pushing up closer to the infantry, the enemy took a potshot at GONG-1 with an unseen SPG. So I enjoyed a nice warm mug of STFU and moved our mobile coffin into cover behind the walls of a nearby compound. My appreciation for not questioning orders and staying put was boosted further by APC 1 either driving over a mine or taking a direct SPG hit. Which didn't look or sound at all fun.

After the infantry secured the the first crossroad junction and surrounding buildings, we followed the GONGs to the SW and round behind the low hills overlooking the first town being very careful not to enter the minefield or skyline ourselves. The GONGs moved up to engage targets that our Engineer team had spotted and we followed them to support Bravo 1 as they moved into town.

I guess that it takes more than a couple of shrubs to conceal an M113 as we took a direct SPG hit a few moments later. Someone dragged Zitron away and attempted first aid while I was just far enough away from the heat of the burning APC not to be cooked. Many thanks to whomever dragged me clear and patched me up.

At this point I went AFK for a few minutes as my cat decided to present my youngest daughter with a live mouse. Hard to judge who was more scared, but my daughter won the screaming contest by some margin. Returning to the mission, I found myself all alone and set off to catch up with Bravo.. I saw what must have been part of Alpha heading east and sprinted to join them. Looking back on it, popping out of a doorway unannounced and not having a UN blue hat wasn't a very smart move and one of the Alpha chaps shot me. He was very sorry and patched me just in time for us to jump aboard the GONGs that were heading for the mosque. Got there i time for the mission to be called as the documents were buried and couldn't be retrieved.

A3 - Downed Bird

FIA / DEFENDFOR Alpha 1 Rifleman. FTL : Rawrnix, R/Ms Zenzos and Willem.

Who would have thought that being called Terminal and defending a terminal would proved to be exactly that : terminal..

I was charged with guarding our hostage/POW Dancemoox and told that I could accidentally shoot him if he tried to escape. I must say that he was a pretty well behaved hostage unlike SuperU who whinged continuously throughout the mission.. Getting shot at and fragged every time he stood up probably helped make Dancemoox a model prisoner.

As time passed, my little room took more and more incoming fire and my radio went very quiet. My cheeky hostage decided this was a good time to leg it off the balcony and across the roof. He almost made it, but I caught up to him and accidentally shot him in the back 10-15 times.

Dancemoox's comrades were clearly upset that they hadn't quite managed to kill him themselves and gunned me down in a fit of pique.

A3 - Hillside View

CSAT Bravo 3 AR. FTL : Antlerowl, AAR: Spitnam, AT: Zenzos

After a very disconcerting truck ride through Desync Valley, we debased and headed towards the enemy's last known location. I was rather busy enjoying the scenery and not enjoying panting like a sled-pleasuring Darth Vader after only running a hundred metres.. I snapped out of combat tourist mode to fire at the first enemy we saw, but had a major attack of stupid approaching a small farm shortly afterwards and ran straight towards the farmhouse despite being able to see an enemy shooting at me out of the window facing me..

I was then caught in a weird A3 Limbo as the spectator script didn't seem to load and I could see and hear another CSAT patrol as they emptied my still-warm pockets of Haribo and loose change (and my LMG).

I had to drop out at this point as the cat brought another mouse home and the womenfolk were going mental downstairs.

Scoreboard:-

Me: 5 - 3
The cat: 2 -0

SuperU

Post by SuperU »

SuperU who whinged continuously throughout the mission
Maybe next time when I ask for medical aid people will grant it.

Homercleese

Post by Homercleese »

Thank you Fluffeh. That was electrifying and deeply emotional. Every war should have it's own soundtrack.

Inverselaw

Post by Inverselaw »

Farm Raid
CO

The plan: set up a 360 degree perimeter and hope for the best.
The result: pretty damn good. A3 wasent being bothered much from their position so i moved them south. Towards the end I felt we had lost too many men to hold our perimeter so i order everyone to fall back to the farmhouse. A2 informed me that they were pinned down so me and dancemoox staged a rescue operation where we witnessed the incredible revolving t34, and then we won.

UNder Pressure
FTL of the incredible shrinking team (Bravo 2)

Mission started with our APC driver not understanding his orders. after giving up on that we started our southerly march where our engineer decided he was an engineer first and a ftl member second and abandoned us. then while we were waiting next to a tank I started to wonder if there was anything useful in it so I entered it and there I remain to this day, a victim of my own stupidity. I ordered audiox to take command and he did so until the AAR also left him. Thus there was poor Audiox, leader of a single man fireteam where none of the other members had actually been shot. a cautionary tale that though I might feel pretty smart and used to Arma after these months of play there are still new and inventive ways for me to act like a complete idiot.

Mr-Link

Post by Mr-Link »

It seems obvious that there are some here who consider themselves to be just way too cool to be seen in public wearing the party approved regulation helmets, opting instead for random toques for street cred I guess.

Here is comrade Moon Moon looking even more lovely than usual (if you can even imagine such a thing possible):

I forgot who the other offender was, possibly Wolfenswan ?
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/577 ... 1B656DF79/]

dancemoox

Post by dancemoox »

Mr-Link wrote: Here is comrade Moon Moon looking even more lovely than usual (if you can even imagine such a thing possible)
I reject membership of the Insectoid helmet club and substitute my own :clint:
ramming speed!

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

UNder Pressure
B2 - AR

:jihad: Bravo 2 was on a roll. First Stoner disappears because he mistook B2 Engineer for Engineer team. Then InverseLaw decides to take a nap in a T34. Then Aquarius? decides to join BSL's fireteam on a whim. So there i am, the entirety of B2. Whereafter i'm told to join the engineer team. Where i discover that two other members of B2 are already present. :psypop:

Two notes on that.
1. If you're AR/AAR/AT don't act directly on teamspeak orders. Your FTL will tell you when to move out, and he tends to like to have you where -he- wants to as opposed to where you think command wants you. If you want to decide when to move out feel free to promote yourself to FTL during slotting comrade.
2. If FTL dies don't go rambo. AR is new FTL. Ask him what happens now. Don't run off into the great big yonder.

On the mission as a whole. I CO'd this last time we played, so it was quite interesting to sit back and see what TigerShark came up with. Of course, i'll never know since he keeps his briefings secret, but i can't be bothered to do more than to be snarky about that any longer.
So, based on the Ouija-board scrapings it seems we were to clear the western side of the road whilst alpha took the village west of them. Same procedure as last time, but with one more GONG for funtimes.
So, we did as we always do, decide to play ultimate chicken and dismount at the starting point. Dismount and slog, as i like to call it. It wasn't as if the mission briefing indicated us being in a hurry or anything..... Nope.
But seriously. We -always- do this. If there is a red line we dismount -outside- of the red line. If there is a village, we dismount in the forest a kilometre away from the village. Etc, etc, etc. I can understand that being blown up in transit is hella not fun (having been there), but dismount and slog as SOP is so darn unimaginative.
Basically, we're scared to death of everything that might be there, and we spend way too much time combing the countryside for that lone SPG gunman who probably won't hit us anyway if we just drive fast enough.

How we fix? Personally, i think a lot of the missions that involve us in vehicles could well do with helicopter recon support. That way we have a scout that can give us intel on -major- enemy positions, enabling us to take any minor positions in stride. There might be a valid reason why we don't do that, but i ain't heard it yet.

Downed Bird
FIA CO

The good things first :
Apparently, dancemoox has discovered that yes, most of the adversarials we have for a3 are poorly suited for our player numbers. (At least on tuesdays.) To see an adversarial that is focused on such a small environment is therefore quite nice. We end up avoiding the "sprawl" and lone gunmanship that some of the larger city adversarials tend to devolve to.
Hostages are always nice.

The bad things :
As FIA CO you're basically told to hunker down in one building. The extent of tactical options are limited to perhaps sending a fireteam out south to the houses there. Other than that what you have to deal with is open ground, lots of it. Which means that this ends up as an exercise in "send individial soldiers here and there". (Which i'd like to try again, but wasn't wholly prepared for.)
So basically, we get to sit tight. Perhaps send our MG's up on the roof, and wait to be GP'd to kingdom come. Then whomever of us aren't taken out by long range GP get to play chaotic close quarters combat.
Also, no mission failure if the hostages die?
So basically, the indoors environment is, if i remember correctly: (Large, open first floor (suicide), staircase room (yum, grenade), then two rooms in the second floor (eat GP death like a man, comrade.)) * 2 . That does not really open for much ambiguity as to the location of FIA, and means that the mission feels very, very locked down from the get go.

What this mission really needs is at least mission failure on death of hostages. Preferably mission loss, depending on who shot the hostages.