[Tue] 22 Oct 2013 (The one without the name)

How we died
SuperU

[Tue] 22 Oct 2013 (The one without the name)

Post by SuperU »

Thanks to the 28 comrades that turned out for this merry session.
  • A2 Missions
  • Poctalon
  • Broney
  • Cholo
  • Holy Stones

A3 Missions
  • Convoy
  • Church of Kerry
    After Party
  • Downed Bird
Please post your thoughts feelings, video and pictures as well as any feedback below, jag körer en lastbil!

Homercleese

Re: [Tue] 22 Oct 2013

Post by Homercleese »

Convoy
Bravo (Trucker) 4

It was always going to end this way. Four truckers with too much down time.

Satire

Post by Satire »

In a fit of insanity, I decided to try FTL'ing every mission to see if I could get a hang of it! I think I'm getting there.

Poctalon OPFOR A2 FTL

Everything went pretty smooth, with our LZ being about 300m from the crashed chopper. A2 got the retrieval duty, I completed the transfer and headed back to the LZ for extract. Until A1 and lead took heavy contact and I realised I'd left the objective item at the crash site :siiigh:

We pegged it back, grabbed the data and made it out on the Chopper to snatch victory. From the sounds of it, there was a technical ready to light us up but RoE prevented it from shooting the chopper!

Broney OPFOR A1 FTL

(Currently uploading/undergoing youtube magic)

Never played a puppeteer mission before, but it made for a cool change of pace when the AI might turn out to be a real person! Alpha got the nice, well covered compound to compound approach, while Bravo got the 'get shot up in the oil field' high ground. A lot of clearing, a fair bit of shooting and eventually getting flanked horribly by Bodge and shot to death. We won in the end though so it was a glorious death.

Cholo COPFOR with Officer Gaius

Hide in a room, get shot. I knew I should have gone into the houses.

Holy Stones INDFOR A2 FTL

Our job was to cover A1 as they grabbed the stones. Sadly, my team got lit up and one of my men thought charging would be a better option than first aiding me. Like Cholo, this didn't end well and I died in the doorway of the house I was trying to defend.

Convoy A2 FTL

No map markers made this one interesting to say the least. I managed to take A2 a bit too far ahead but we did a good enough job of shooting anything that got in our way as we blundered around following my confused directions. The Compass on my StHud also broke leading to much more wonderful confusion. :psyduck:

Eventually I met my demise after running in front of someone whilst trying to lead a daring/suicidal open ground charge. Sorry to whoever shot me, I should have been paying attention!

Church of Kerry INDFOR A1 FTL

A1's sneaky flank route went well, as did A2's so it only took about 2 minutes of firefight to allow A2 to get GP into the Church to kill Kerry and secure the win. Good job all round!

Downed Bird BLUFOR A1 FTL

After several hiccups, we got going. I took the roof with Homercleese and AkKind, we spotted their approach and then took a ton of GP fire. We hunkered won on the roof and I got at least one of them who came up our staircase. Somehow the hostages got shot but so did all of Blufor so I've no idea who actually won.
Last edited by Satire on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Poctalon
A1 Grenadier, Indyfor

We were slow, we knew the enemy had landed and was retrieving the data, yet we still were slow. We lost (but I almost took out the tail rotor, by the looks of the above video. That was a close one).
That loss was partly based on bad luck (the enemy's LZ was almost right on top of the downed chopper), partly based on our lack of reaction. We could hear the chopper landing close to us, yet still made a long detour before being able to engage them as they were taking of for the last time.

Broney
Third Pupeteer in the name of Che Guevara's puppet

As usual, playing a puppeteer role is lots of fun, as you get to see the FA platoon at work from the outside. As usual, it's a great learning experience, as you get to see the FA platoon at work from the outside. I'd encourage any player that doesn't want a kill streak, but wants to better is commanding abilities, to jump in a puppeteer slot next time we play one.

The plan was pretty simple, and I dispatched 8 of my dudes in forward positions, ordered them to take cover and let them get murdered. I sent my medic back a hundred meters, and set myself up with a PM in a bush, along a small stone wall, about in the middle of the AO.

From my perspective, I mostly watched Bravo Squad move along the ridges. What do we learn here? Something we should already know: skylining is bad. Really bad. I mean, virtually, about the entirety of Bravo was dead as soon as they got to the derricks.
This is something we often forget, it seems, especially because the AI doesn't really make a difference between people skylining and people being careful: they either see you, or they don't. They also aim with the same accuracy. On the other hand, a player who's even just vaguely looking in the direction of a whole squad of people nicely silhouetting themselves cannot miss them, and it's a very easy shot to range.

So I proceeded to wound about half the squad (I might have killed one, namely Zenzos, in the process? Sorry 'bout that). I did take some bits of inaccurate return fire, but nothing that'd worry me, really, and guess what? People just kept skylining themselves.

The other point here would be this: although high ground is generally considered to be a good option, it doesn't mean it is always the case. In that particular situation, you're clearing a "green zone", that not only offers many cover and concealment opportunities at ground level, but also has a pretty nice foliage layer above. This means that spotting anything in it from above is nigh impossible, while any ridge around it is most likely clutter-free, thus making you very easy to spot. Case in point: I was firing tracers from a bush at a full squad, yet nobody was able to pinpoint my location precisely, and I was still able to move around.

The CO made a good move by sending the IFV on the ridge: it did worry me, as its optics could make a difference, and there ain't no resisting that big gun. Small mistake: the Commander was turned out, and a small PKM burst was enough to make it retreat. Turning out from a vehicle in a hot zone is asking for trouble.

In the end, though, the assault by Alpha Squad inside the green zone proved to be well executed (still somewhat lacking rear security, but hey), and I found myself 20 meters away from the enmy, as I hadn't realized they had moved so close. Took a few potshots at them, being all sneaky behind my little wall, but got killed quite fast.
Then respawned in my medic (all my other AIs were long dead), and found myself right in front of the IFV. I was looking at the map when I hear voices, and woke up in the middle of a fireteam. I slightly panicked and shot Spitnam repeatedly in the face while Satire did the same to me.
Oops.

Bodge

Post by Bodge »

Satire wrote:In a fit of insanity, I decided to try FTL'ing every mission to see if I could get a hang of it! I think I'm getting there.
Must say I was impressed with the speed of A2s movement and recovery of the data, was the main reason we succeeded, both Tiger and myself agreed you are definitely getting there, good job. A thing regarding the ROE of the dshkm - thems was the rules.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Cholo

What is scarier, rounding the corner and encountering a shotgun, or rounding the corner and encountering HomerCleese's face? :shock:
We both wound each other and pray to the arma-gods that our wounded-animation will be that tenth of a second faster than the other guy's. The yellow one won.

Satire

Post by Satire »

Bodge wrote:
Satire wrote:In a fit of insanity, I decided to try FTL'ing every mission to see if I could get a hang of it! I think I'm getting there.
Must say I was impressed with the speed of A2s movement and recovery of the data, was the main reason we succeeded, both Tiger and myself agreed you are definitely getting there, good job. A thing regarding the ROE of the dshkm - thems was the rules.
Cheers Bodge! I've got to say it can get a bit overwhelming when you've got two separate sets of people talking to you, but the end result is worth it when it all comes together. I don't think I'll be doing it every mission again anytime soon though!
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

Homercleese

Post by Homercleese »

audiox wrote:What is scarier, rounding the corner and encountering a shotgun, or rounding the corner and encountering HomerCleese's face?
Haha, my reign of terror begins! Well, either that or a reign of having everyone immediately zero-in on my face.

Inverselaw

Post by Inverselaw »

Tuesday arma is adversarial arma, as a rule I dont really enjoy arma unless there is at least 20 people on your team. and with Tuesday population and adverserial splitting we dont always get that.

Poctalon
INDFOR CO

oh boy, we spawned towards the norther edge and i sent my 3 fireteams in wildly differing directions to try and find the crash. Eventually A1 found hostiles working on the crash and i dispatched the other units to get in, sadly we were too slow and the technical found the hostile helicopter but no infantry so it just sat there. all in all the whole thing kinda ended like a wet fart when i realized the data marker was moving too fast to be on foot and it must already be in the chopper. One thing though, with the technical so damn close, I really should have told them to ram it.

Broney
ASL

we advanced progressively through the low country, with me doing leapfroggy movements for my two fireteams. eventually half way through the green area we met very heavy resistances and everything degenerated until the last remaining trops where holed up in a compound, we defended against a very intense short range assault and won hurray.

Cholo
something FTL

Ran forward, got shot, mission ended

Holy Stones
Glorious and Magnificent leader Azoz who basks his peons in his great and wonderful glow

wonderfull Azoz that I am had a wonderfull and glorious plan involving putting his three teams in a semicircle around the stones and send them 1 fireteam at a time to clear out any disgusting peasant rabble of aziz that might enter the holy shrine of Azoz by right of birth, faith, cunningness, and/or scientology. Finally I ordered my heroic ubermench of an army to assist the poor misguided fools of Aziz's followers by being extremely generous with RPG's and grenades.

The fight went fairly well with first A1 then A2 going into the shrine with myself. I being the wonderful and kind leader that I am even ended up sacrificing myself for the sins and failures of my own men who I still love dearly. Truly, thanks to my great and glorious leadership Azoz reigns supreme of the disgusting would be rabble of my tainted and failed brother.

zitron

Post by zitron »

Poctalon
INDFOR Technical Gunner with Gaius

We spawned pretty far from the rest of the group, charged in once the crash site was found, which took a while. We met zero resistance and soon we were right next to the crashed Mi-8 and staring at the OPFOR Mi-17. Which I thought had just landed and was waiting to pickup the data. After not seeing any infantry around it and everything seemed to be going badly, in frustration I violated ROE and fired 8 rounds into the belly of the Mi-17 20-30m away (I thought it was empty!!) to scare it off and delay OPFOR, but I guess it turned out they already had the data in it and it was full of ppl and I ended killing 3, sorry... Well it did scare them away and we lost.

In hindsight ramming it would have totally been the better thing to do.