[Tue] 22 Oct 2013 (The one without the name)

How we died
Tigershark

Re: [Tue] 22 Oct 2013

Post by Tigershark »

Black Mamba wrote:Poctalon
A1 Grenadier, Indyfor

We were slow, we knew the enemy had landed and was retrieving the data, yet we still were slow. We lost (but I almost took out the tail rotor, by the looks of the above video. That was a close one).
That loss was partly based on bad luck (the enemy's LZ was almost right on top of the downed chopper), partly based on our lack of reaction. We could hear the chopper landing close to us, yet still made a long detour before being able to engage them as they were taking of for the last time.

Broney
Third Pupeteer in the name of Che Guevara's puppet

As usual, playing a puppeteer role is lots of fun, as you get to see the FA platoon at work from the outside. As usual, it's a great learning experience, as you get to see the FA platoon at work from the outside. I'd encourage any player that doesn't want a kill streak, but wants to better is commanding abilities, to jump in a puppeteer slot next time we play one.

The plan was pretty simple, and I dispatched 8 of my dudes in forward positions, ordered them to take cover and let them get murdered. I sent my medic back a hundred meters, and set myself up with a PM in a bush, along a small stone wall, about in the middle of the AO.

From my perspective, I mostly watched Bravo Squad move along the ridges. What do we learn here? Something we should already know: skylining is bad. Really bad. I mean, virtually, about the entirety of Bravo was dead as soon as they got to the derricks.
This is something we often forget, it seems, especially because the AI doesn't really make a difference between people skylining and people being careful: they either see you, or they don't. They also aim with the same accuracy. On the other hand, a player who's even just vaguely looking in the direction of a whole squad of people nicely silhouetting themselves cannot miss them, and it's a very easy shot to range.

So I proceeded to wound about half the squad (I might have killed one, namely Zenzos, in the process? Sorry 'bout that). I did take some bits of inaccurate return fire, but nothing that'd worry me, really, and guess what? People just kept skylining themselves.

The other point here would be this: although high ground is generally considered to be a good option, it doesn't mean it is always the case. In that particular situation, you're clearing a "green zone", that not only offers many cover and concealment opportunities at ground level, but also has a pretty nice foliage layer above. This means that spotting anything in it from above is nigh impossible, while any ridge around it is most likely clutter-free, thus making you very easy to spot. Case in point: I was firing tracers from a bush at a full squad, yet nobody was able to pinpoint my location precisely, and I was still able to move around.

The CO made a good move by sending the IFV on the ridge: it did worry me, as its optics could make a difference, and there ain't no resisting that big gun. Small mistake: the Commander was turned out, and a small PKM burst was enough to make it retreat. Turning out from a vehicle in a hot zone is asking for trouble.

In the end, though, the assault by Alpha Squad inside the green zone proved to be well executed (still somewhat lacking rear security, but hey), and I found myself 20 meters away from the enmy, as I hadn't realized they had moved so close. Took a few potshots at them, being all sneaky behind my little wall, but got killed quite fast.
Then respawned in my medic (all my other AIs were long dead), and found myself right in front of the IFV. I was looking at the map when I hear voices, and woke up in the middle of a fireteam. I slightly panicked and shot Spitnam repeatedly in the face while Satire did the same to me.
Oops.

Some good observations here Black Mamba. Thanks for the taking the time to capture them in the AAR. Good stuff.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

zitron wrote:Poctalon
INDFOR Technical Gunner with Gaius
in frustration I violated ROE and fired 8 rounds into the belly of the Mi-17 20-30m away (I thought it was empty!!) to scare it off and delay OPFOR, but I guess it turned out they already had the data in it and it was full of ppl and I ended killing 3, sorry... Well it did scare them away and we lost.
Just out of curiosity.. what kind of an ROE was that, if it doesn't allow you to shoot baddies? Are you in peace corps or something?
I think this is the first time when someone actually apologized for killing enemies :D
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

IceRaiser

Post by IceRaiser »

Broney
IFV Driver, Tink as First-Time-Commander, Zitron as Gun-ho'-ner

We drove all the way around the AO to the NE and supported Alphas movement, then we murdered some trees and bushes on our way to Bravo to assist them up by the derricks.
Back in town we found an RPG that had attached to our hull so me and Zitron ran to cover while Tink decided to poke it with his ak. RIP Tink and IFV.

The now leg-bound IFV FT assisted Alpha's movement and took out the last puppetmasters. :jihad:

Holy Stones
DIE WHEN I'M SHOOTING AT YOU! ...we lost

Convoy
ASL/Commander, AkKind as Medic

Since there was no proper group markers I decided to go slow and try to have the fireteams far enough apart so that they could have some freedom of movement.
This plan.. kinda worked. (See Satire's great video

Due to an earlier discussion about Cav Scouts I decided to put this though in practice by having B1 move 100+m ahead of the rest of the Plt, scouting for mines and acting as a bullet magnet so that the rest of the Plt could move to engage.

B2 got promoted to "Truckers" and would drive 50-100+m behind the Plt, staying safe.
(sadly this lead to them being bored and playing with live grenades, killing all but one driver...)
A1-3 would move on a squad line with 50-100m between eachother. This also let me keep A1 as B1's backup while A3 and/or A2 could flank.

I set up Waypoint ever 2-300m at choke points or in good cover so we could tackle the mission one WP at a time, which also might've been one of the reasons why this mission took so long :P

Due to the nature of the terrain, A2 got to flank north quite far up while B1 moved on the south of the road to the hill and the rest of the Plt basicly stayed on the north side of the road.
A2 did a great job, while A1+A3 moved up in line before we all got Free Healthcare and later moved on to Oil Moneh.

Getting up on the hill, we saw the vast plains below... and an APC! Tink VS APC: 1-1 (Goodnight, sweet prince)
At this point we'd lost A1, B1 and all but one driver.
Using my now-two-FT-platoon in a bound and cover manoeuvre to the last hard cover I then decided to keep A3 on overwatch, since they already saw the enemies, and have A2 sprint to the tree..bush..water..thingie..DITCH!
Sadly "someone" in A2 decided to disregard the order to move and instead shot his FTL.. They did get a move on though as I recieved a MMS from SuperÜ, standing on the beach wearing nothing but Speedos, with the text "Rush or the Speedos go".

I dropped all my gear but the pistol and ordered everyone to charge while I ran behind, shooting warning shots and anyone trying to stop. :commissar:

We kinda died, but a great effort from everyone!

Church of Kerry
A2 FTL with Zitron, Mamba and Bones

Head's plan was to have A1 move in as close as possible from the North while A2 took up positions on the Southern hill and then providing covering fire.

We got some great positions and once we got the go we sprayed the construction site and the buildings SE of them.
A1 moved in but were a bit slower than our action-CO Head who ran to the church and threw a grenade at Kerry, destroying both him and his book of lies!

It seems that time was bugged, since I had evening and Satire had daytime

Downed Bird
Hostage Co-pilot, Head as Pilot
We stopped hearing our captors VON after a minute or so into the mission so our guard had to point the way with his flashlight.
After much confusion we were herded into a room on the second floor(first if you count ground level) and told to stand next to the wall.

Our guard, sitting across from us, told us to go left, so I walked to my right and Head walked to his left.
The guard decided that his left was the correct one and so he shot Head. :siiigh:
I ran to Head's corpse and stood there when HRT opened the door next to me and shot the first guard.
The second guard didn't seem to understand what was happening so he shot me and reported "I shot one!" on Teamspeak... :zoidberg:

Inverselaw

Re: [Tue] 22 Oct 2013 (The one without the name)

Post by Inverselaw »

After watching the Satires video It reminds me a few things about this mission. First of all its always nice to see fireteam eyes of a group that I lead. Watching the video also reminds me of the sense of urgency generated by the fact that CO was constantly bounding ahead of us. Oh god, oh god, I need to send people ahead so he dosent die. Also Satire you did a very good job of running your fire team.