[Tue] 26 Nov 2013 (SPG Mines)

How we died
dancemoox

[Tue] 26 Nov 2013 (SPG Mines)

Post by dancemoox »

Tonight 33 brave comrades made as much noise as they could and eventually the sleepy IceRaiser woke up and made a mission for A3.

The missions tackled tonight were:
  • A2
  • Shapur Raiders - Our old nemesis the Hind makes a double appearance, everybody dies..
  • Feruzablues - Victory, between the regular forces and the Smurf detachment the hostages were rescued, huzzah!
  • Crash Site - Bluefor wins by being all capitalist and sneaky.

A3 Afterparty
  • Sneaky Time - IceRaiser kills the strike force in an offroading accident
  • Escape Altis - Where we escaped then returned at terminal velocity..
As ever post your thoughts, feelings, memories, pictures, video and audio below so others may read them during a lunch break and be amused. Also don't forget V+ sessions on Fridays, details can be found in the V+ section of the forum, if you need help ask in the Skype chat :)
ramming speed!

Nothun

Re: [Tue] 26 Nov 2013 (SPG Mines)

Post by Nothun »

So I actually got to recording the Shapur Raiders, but Overwolf and Fraps don't like to mingle... so Arma crashed and I couldn't do BSL in Feruzableus.

Shapur Raiders

In Bravo 1 with Satire as FTL, Zenzos and Warner, we headded out to provide cover to the south west as enemy reinforcements were expectet. Well the convey we where to Ambush got stuck in town and we where ordered to charge. :hist101:

This is what happens next:

Feruzableus

As stated, Arma didn't want me to lead a Squad of brave Comrades to their deaths... I heard Penney did a great job accomplishing my task. :commissar:

Crash Site

Bluefor Alpha 1, FTL Aqarius (reminds me of a song...), Boberro and Tired Hippo. Truth be told the only thing I did was sitting in a chopper and walking. Chernarus is beautiful... didn't fire a single shot, nore did I see a commie bastard. :jihad: sneaky hidding n stuff.

Arma 3 Sneaky Time

I don't like boarding white trucks. I had a bad feeling from the start. The first objective was reached and we destroyed some Tanks... and all back to the Trucks. After Playing "who's driving?" Iceraiser took over the steering weel :dance: . And slammed all of Team 1 (except Moon Moon :clint: who decided to take another ride) into a HUGE rock. :psyboom: Fireworks! Boom! Bang! and Arma crashed.

What can be said? If you don't die from enemy bullets in Arma, it's either friendly fire or Ice.now I know what this one is for: :iceburn:

Had lots of Fun! Thanks!
"We all make mistakes, just none as grave as yours" -Spitnam after a Blue on Blue

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Nothun/

Tink

Post by Tink »

Been a while since I posted an AAR but seeing as I commanded the bloodbath in Shapur I thought I should make an official statement before the party executes me for incompetence.

Shapur Raiders - CO

Shapur is an Arma2 map I know really well, it is also one with very few missions which makes me sad. My plan was to set up opposite the Military Base in an area of open ground that has the benefit of some dunes that actually provide surprisingly good cover. The idea was to hit the convoy once it was in the open along the road and then to swiftly retreat into the desert.

Unfortunately the Convoy decided to stop for felafel at Shapur 2, I waited for a bit but sensing unease amongst the troops decided to take the fight to the convoy if the convoy would not come to us. I ordered the charge through Shapur 2 and that was when things started to fall to bits. I couldn't determine where the convoy was (it turned out it was spread pretty much the whole length of the map by the end) and we got bogged down amongst the Factory buildings long enough for a pair of hinds to take off from the airfield. I ordered the retreat as the first Hind unleashed a barrage of missiles which wiped out almost everyone who was still alive by that point.

Feruzablues - UNFOR AAR

With my shiny blue helmet and I mounted into our M113 lovingly nicknamed Lunchbox. The plan was for Alpha and Bravo to lead the charge whilst UN waited to provide counseling to the hostages. As soon as we had reached the Alpha Bravo LZ our glorious leader Diplomacy Super told us we'd probably be filling Bravo's role as they were in a bad shape. We set off marching down the road with our blue helmets glistening under the desert sun. After a little stop in which Lunchbox got well and truly opened we continued on towards the mine rescued the hostages and saluted them as they got airlifted to safety. All in all UNFOR performed really well only losing 2 men and our Lunchbox. Oh well looks like we are walking home.

Crash Site - OpFor

Opfor landed really close to the crash site and most of us were wiped out by AI snipers who could see through the downed trees between us and the C130. I think the remnants of OpFor killed the last of the AI units but were completely surrounded by BluFor by that point. I call shenanigans on the AI having sniper rifles, it's bad enough that they can see through trees that have been knocked over.

Alex

Post by Alex »

Shapur Raiders: MAT 1 Gunner. Driving for Spitnam, we moved into the town after the convoy got stuck and we were ordered to charge. Spitnam got hit but I patched him up and got him back into the gun. A few minutes later he was wounded again but we were annihilated by a hind before I could patch him up.

Feruzablues: Beta Squad Medic. With the CO missing, Dancemoox stepped in to lead us to glorious victory. We got out of the chopper and to our position for defense. After a bit of a fight that involved some bullet wounds and shouting, we began to move over the hill and into the town. After some time on the hill where we engaged all manner of static defenses, infantry and vehicles, we charged headlong down the hill and into the cover of buildings. Another firefight ensued with some surviving enemies and Satire was killed in an unfortunate friendly fire accident. Shortly later we had changed positions and Dancemoox was killed, leaving Lord Penney in charge and our squad reduced to 4 men. these 4 bravely pushed up to the mine with UN forces where i located the hostages and helped to rescue them before being killed as the helicopter landed.

Crash Site: Had a very pleasant conversation with Homer on the ride in regarding plans for the future. Killed by an AI sniper seconds after landing.

Sneaky Time: successfully destroyed the first objective, died in an explosion when our nitroglycerine fueled truck nudged a rock.

Escape Altis: Medic. A hell of a fight across kilometers of open ground with explosions, betrayals and all around shenanigans.
(fake)

AntlerOwl

Post by AntlerOwl »

Shapur Raiders
A2 FTL with Shuggler, Dan and... Steven? (I'm sorry)
Eventually, after much lying about and more than one joke about the vulnerability of our original position, we were ordered into town. A short firefight later we'd taken cover behind a cement wall. "Okay, we're just gonna take a seco.." BRAPAPAPAPAPAPA I hear as bullets punch through the wall. As the bullet hail slows down, I ask if anyone got hit. Turns out -all of them- did get hit. My entire fireteam was wiped out by an enemy that shot us through a wall. I died shortly after trying to avenge them. :argh:

Feruzablues

Antler was having a tough time FTLing that day, as half my fireteam got deaded within the first minutes of this mission too. Shuggler and Dan again, I'm sorry. You were both alive one second, and then you were dead. I don't know what happened. Which makes me feel rather bad about the whole thing.

Disappointing work from me, so I called it a night and pity played some Dota 2. I lost all of the Dota games too.

Satire

Post by Satire »

Shapur Raiders - B1 FTL

After sitting around in the sand for a long while it became obvious the convoy had found something better to do than be ambushed by us, so we marched off the attack it. We all ran past a HMG technical on the way over, which in retrospect was knid of a bad omen. I got up on the factory roof to see if it offered good vantage points and got rapidly shot down again.

Feruzablues - B2 AR

The is a video of this, but youtube is being cranky with me and uploading at snails pace. Homer and Spitnam died early on leaving just me and Warner to fend off the attacking militas. After the situation stabilized , we went to help out alpha in the village and on the ridge, where we found out that someone has managed to piss off a ZU-23. I'll add that after Hinds on the list of 'things to to piss off'.

Anyway, we made it to a little compound which became a favoured target of an SPG-9 causing us to displace into Feruz Abad propper. After engaging some contacts near the T-junction to the mine, I stood up to get out of fire and got FF'ed in the face.

Crash Site - OPFOR CO

Given the ground, this one should have been in the bag. The downed bird was within spitting distance of the LZ I picked, but the locals had other ideas. They must have been recently demobilised Spetznaz because half my men were dead or wounded from deadeye siping before we could even make proper contact. Myself, IceRaiser and Spitnam made it to the crash but by then Blufor were closing in and GP'ing us to death.

Sneaky Time - Opfor ASL

Well, the plan worked perfectly for once. Drakkon used the UAV to get recon on the site, everyone snook up and while one team covered, the other planted the charges. Objective one went down with zero casualties!

Then on the way to the next one IceRaiser crashed the car and killed everyone in teams 1 and 2. :laugh:

So, as tradition dictates, we went on a death charge! After terrifying my passengers with my superb driving skills, we launched a death or glory assault on the airfield, and got death.

Escape Altis - Blufor sort-of-leader dude

Well, the plan was to go north and steal a helicopter. And the plan worked!
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Shapur Raiders - ASL

The sand part looked iffy to me, but as soon as we made it there i saw that the dunes were actually pretty good to hang around. Nevertheless i sent A3 up to the walls of Shapur 2 so that they could be edgy and different squad :coolbert: .
Thereafter i spent some grueling minutes staring down the barrel of my mandatory party liais... erm... medic TigerSharks gun, which was uncomfortably positioned towards me, and thinking of the Hinds. :?
Scary stuff indeed, i put on some Vatican Shadow just to drive the nails all the way in... :D

So the convoy stopped, and Alpha was allowed to be the tip of our advance towards the northwest. During which i sent two fireteams to a fiery death. (Sorry to A3, asking you to -cross- the road was perhaps not the best of ideas. :oops: I thought the convoy had at best just gotten to Shapur 2, not past it....!)
A1 got sent up north to the four oil tanks there, which turned out rather not well as well.. A2 was slightly behind me most of the time, and when i died i kind of understood what went wrong with them.
(There was A LOT of AI moving in from the north yeh.... :psypop: )

A really fun time was had.

Feruzablues - A1 FTL

Oooh, this mission looked fun, the plan was sweet, and we had plenty funstuffs with us. It was also another wolfenswan-mission, and those are never harmful to our sanity, right! (Thanks wolf, they're grand!)
We got out of the chopper, i set my eyes on a nice three story building where i intended to light up a shisha and set up a recording station for the screams i assuredly soon would hear from the outside. Alas, ASL Aquarius had other plans, and A1 was out next to him and A2 along the road soon afterwards. Whereafter me and TiredHippo died horribly to a technical with some extra rally-scripts and a death wish. :fry:

Todays little piece of advice. Its an error i make a lot, and it annoys me when i do it, so just to let you all know. If you are, say SL, and are presenting plans to your fireteams. If the first part of the presentation does not pertain to me, and i have not been told to listen to it all the way through, i probably won't.

The bad way to do it being this :
"Alpha 1, please proceed to WP1 and set up next to Iceraisers driving school, then Alpha 2 will ride the donkeys into town."
If you do it as above, i will have zoned out by the time you say "please proceed" since i think its a message to A1, and i have other things to worry about.
A better way is to do something like this.
"Alpha 1 and Alpha 2 listen up, Alpha 1 will proceed to Iceraisers driving school, then Alpha 2 will ride the donkeys into town."
Make sure you have both fireteams, or squads attention, do not assume it will be there if you are talking about unrelated elements.

Its tricky, since plans tend to be made up along the way, but hey, now you can annoy yourselves about not being good at this as well! :eng101:

Oh, and as Nothuns video so eloquently points out, if its important, say it twice. Preferably in bold. If anybody knows how to say Makarov in that african klick-klick language in a threatening way then do that as well! :hist101:

Great fun!

Nothun

Post by Nothun »

audiox wrote:Its tricky, since plans tend to be made up along the way,
Truth be told, no plan survives first contact... :laugh:
"We all make mistakes, just none as grave as yours" -Spitnam after a Blue on Blue

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Nothun/

Satire

Post by Satire »

Feruzablues video is up

Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Shapur Raiders
INDFOR A2 RAT
We sat on the dunes for a while, and then ran into town. Apparently, the convoy decided it's gonna be doing the ambushing. The compound was under constant fire, and the AAR wouldn't stop running. After a ruffle with a BRDM I was out of AT ammo, and running low on other kinds of it as well. Soon enough, there was a hind over us, half the platoon was dead, our medic was cut town by chaingun fire 2m from me, and I decided to run for it and look for AT ammo. The true state of the situation became apparent when I exited the door, looked left, and saw a BMP looking back.
After the mission, I realized my mic was not plugged in.

Feruzablues
BLUFOR ASL
Spent the entire flight there and quite a lot of the running time getting CC to work. Apparently, I could hear people, but not talk. Getting it working, I called the FTs to the stone fence, expecting a brief firefight (made briefer by a full squad's worth of firepower) followed by an imminent counterattack order. Hindsight, they say, is 20/20. A bullet to the noggin is 7.62.

Crash Site
BLUFOR A1(?) FTL
Finally getting all of the comms in order, A1 made a beeline to the airport walls. Ending up behind the enemy, we slammed into their flank and chased down what's left of them to the crash site. Victory.

At this point, Arma3 wouldn't launch, and I figured I won't have 3 more missions to get it in order...

@audiox: wouldn't the keyword you're looking for show up anyway? As in:" A1 please proceed to WP1 and set up next to Iceraisers driving school, then A2 will ride the donkeys into town."

I parse both if I can, just for awareness, but other than that I usually listen for key phrases and parse when I hear them.
[/allegedly]