Post by fer »

Missions (ArmA 2):
  • Inter III
  • Flask
  • Karavan
  • Skyline
After-party (ArmA 3):
  • Sneaky Time
Our first December 2013 session featured 46 brave comrades, for which The Party was very grateful. Thank you also for some efficient slotting and great comms discipline during briefings. On a personal note, since taking a new work assignment in the Summer I've rarely been able to host (or even play a full session); hosting tonight was a real pleasure, and a reminder of why FA is such a great community. I hope you enjoyed the old-school missions.

We began with the frantic horror of Inter III, in which seeing the enemy up close through your ironsights is still no guarantee of success, thanks to the wonder of the Bizon. A successful run of Flask saw up to three Shilkas deployed in the vanguard of our assault. Next, in Karavan, a marooned TK army platoon watched its air support fly into the side of a hill, but held off the puppeteers for long enough for at least one squad to extract by helicopter. Finally, we re-located to a windy ridge-top on the roof of Takistan for platoon-scale corridor shooter mission, Skyline (which we also managed to complete).

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here - comrade YouTube Hero SuperU's FA doesn't just produce our video idents, but provides leadership and guidance to propaganda artists. We also have a new YouTube channel that he manages so if you have any content you think should feature then let him know and he will sort you out, for more info check out this thread!; more guidance on video editing for Folk ARPS is provided by comrade Ferrard Carson. Posts in the AAR threads really helps us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like.

:v:

PS If, during slotting, you camp out for the toy-slots, you will be snatched off the street and deported to a Party re-education and productive employment colony, from which there is no escape (that film with Ed Harris was fiction).

PPS Members of Charlie squad in Flask, comrade SuperU was under Party orders to re-broadcast music from the film 9th Company, which is strongly recommended by the Party (for all comrades).

Alex

Re: [Sun] 01 Dec 2013 (It's a trap)

Post by Alex »

Inter III - Alpha 1 Rifleman. Moved into the town and our fireteam took casualties almost right away. The last two survivors, Satire and I attempted to clear a building and were both shot in a confusing situation that may have been friendly fire. I killed the attacker bled out into the dirt.

Flask - Shilka 1 Gunner/Commander. 4 barrels of awesome. We rolled down the road, annihilating anything larger than a rabbit. The lack of gun depression while cresting hills was a bit of a problem but we managed to avoid any catastrophic accidents.

Karavan - Attack Helo Guner. Yeah...

Skyline - Alpha Squad Leader. My first time commanding. Some things to work on but an overall success. We had the job of moving directly along the ridgeline. My fireteams did an excellent job taking out the enemy.

Sneaky Time - Making the decision not to risk the trucks, we walked to the first objective and were spotted thanks to a rogue grenade toss. Enemy infantry swarmed us to death and we only completed the first objective.
(fake)

IceRaiser

Post by IceRaiser »

A3 players Please give me feedback on the Sneaky Time mission. It's the first, proper, A3 mission I've made.

Inter III
Ferrard's Medic (ASL-M?)
We defended the eastern side with honor!
Ferrard fell, A2(3?) took a 'nade to the face. But Mamuto(and kev?) stepped up and murdered the incoming infidels.
We totally won. (Oh and I may have shot two guys in the face while they were bleeding out. Best medic ever) ((P.S. they were enemy! I swear! D.S))

Flask
Wolfenswan's Medic (ASL-M)
We ran on our side of the road until an angry SPG decided to murder half a fireteam... and then the rest of said fireteam and some stragglers from A1(2?).
The last 6 guys in Alpha moved up to the last stonewall before it all went downhill(quite literally) where some guys got wounded while Wolf and the last FTL decided to try to stop the bullets with their teeth...
The bullet won.
I ran between Bravo(who just kept getting shot for some reason) and the half-dead soldiers that Stoner was saving from the fight until it was but me and Stoner left.
We hooked up with the remnants of Charlie, got to listen to Draakon screaming like a little girl real soldier upon finding out that the DshKa was crewed - by an enemy.
Aaaand EndEX. Victory!

Karavan
Toppo's Medic (BSL-M)
Bravo was defending the southern part of the town and slowly withdrawing north where the helicopter was going to pick us up.
Toppo did an excellent job with positioning the FT's and giving everyone the info they needed... sadly the FTL's were either deaf or just not interested most of the time :commissar:

As Super's helicopter landed I took up some rear security while Bravo started to load up, turning around and running for the door I saw a shadow moving in the mist.
A shadow with AN RP*FWOO-BOOOOOOM* Shiiiiiiiiit! I bled out or got shot. Nice shot Wolf, you bastard.

Skyline
B3 AAR under Homer with Michael and Aquarisouyz
We ran, we shot, I got an M249, we ran, shot some more dudes, got snipe'd, became friends with Moon, tried to befriend a Hind that decided to hug me with HE rounds. :zoidberg:
Sneaky Time - Making the decision not to risk the trucks, we walked to the first objective and were spotted thanks to a rogue grenade toss. Enemy infantry swarmed us to death and we only completed the first objective.
Y'know, if they can't find you they'll stop looking after a little while and return to what they were doing ;)

AntlerOwl

Post by AntlerOwl »

Inter III
A lot of waiting and lying around in the dark. I'll admit I alt tabbed and listened to a pod cast while I listened for contact reports on Team Speak. After a while we got ordered to head into a concrete building. I went upstairs, and hung out near some people in another fireteam. A good ten seconds pass, and I notice that out of the two people there, neither had tags. I quickly opened the map, and checked to see if any fireteams showed up as being in the same building. Oh shit. I closed the map, but got shot before I had the chance to do anything. :bang:

Flask
A fun mission!
I followed Super as the FTL with my rockets. Fired 3 of them, all missed. Got shot. Good times.

Karavan
Ugh, this was a scary mission.
During slotting, I was in B3, the last fireteam under Toppo. A fireteam I had strategically picked, as Toppo was the SL (Seriously guys, if you wanna have a fun game, just get a slot where you get to be bossed around by Toppo. Toppometer, he's the man.) and then picking B3 so I would be the last guy to assume command if everyone else had died.
Then everyone slotted, filled up the fireteams. Well, all fireteams except for mine. Dancemoox joined as my AR, but other than him, the fireteam was empty. Everyone had slotted at this point, and I was preparing for a 2 man fireteam fun party time. Then someone joins as the RPG-man. It's Fer. Shit. Shitshithshit. I can't tell FER what to do. THE Fer? Shit, I'm a barely competent FTL, I can't boss THE BOSS around. Things went pretty well though. They were both nice with me and didn't disregard me. Not all the time at least. Dancemoox stayed behind in the broken chopper and got himself shot, but both me and Fer were one of three or four survivors. So hooray! Thanks to the both of you for my slightly nervous everything.

Skyline
This mission. Is. So. Good.
It's completely ignoring what Arma is "really about", it's tight, close range, hell almost a corridor shooter. Bunkers and ZU-guns placed at strategic intervals, like a linearly designed game. Basically everything Arma isn't. For me though, this doesn't have to be a bad thing. Having that slightly above average communication and planning compared to most other multiplayer games with a more linear feel to them (Your Battlefields and your Call of Duties f.ex) makes this a really cool experience. Also, watching Toppo get BLOWN away because he walked straight into the firing line of a ZU while issuing orders was great :v:
Thumbs up, like this mission.

pvtbones

Post by pvtbones »

Alex wrote: Karavan - Attack Helo Guner. Yeah...

Lord Penney, Dvl, and myself were on that hill (I think basically right where you hit) about a minute before you smacked into it.

fer

Post by fer »

AntlerOwl wrote:Then someone joins as the RPG-man. It's Fer. Shit. Shitshithshit. I can't tell FER what to do. THE Fer? Shit, I'm a barely competent FTL, I can't boss THE BOSS around.
Pah! I'm not the boss, just the grumpiest member of the Politburo. Everyone knows that comrade Bodge holds all the power - his troops surround my Dacha and control the server itself. You did very well as an FTL, giving clear orders, sectors-to-observe and placing us in good positions throughout. Our escape from the weed plantation was well coordinated, and you saved me when I was freaking out and pinned. I'll be signing-up to be in your FTs more often!

:hist101:

thekev506

Post by thekev506 »

Inter III - A1 Bizonman
Insular defence was Ferrard's command, and we did that (though I think Audiox got ArmA'd by going prone by a table.) After a while it was clear we weren't going to see anything in the way of contact if we just hid forever, so with Ferrard's blessing we pushed out to recce the area. I got hit by the mmg and patched up again, then moments later I got shot by friendly fire and patched up again. The doo-doo was hitting several fans by now and our fireteam was down to just me and Mamuto, so we ran back to our compound and started scanning. I took someone out at a doorway, but not before he shot me and I had to get patched up again. Hearing voices and footsteps I ran around the back of the compound and took out the last guy.

Flask - Shilka 2 Driver
After some confusion over who takes charge of the shilka when we don't have a dedicated commander (we split it between us - I'd deal with comms and orders from HQ whilst my gunner would keep his eyes peeled and fine-tune my movement,) the shilkas started rolling along behind the squaddies and opening up on anything larger than a man. It becomes apparent quite quickly that having 2 shilkas moving down the road together is a little inefficient in terms of spreading out firepower, so shilka 2 gets assigned to charlie squad. Shilkas, it turns out, are chronically slow when moving up hills, and by the time we've made it to our staging point charlie's been ordered to head back down to the road and consolidate with the rest of the platoon for the assault, so back we go to take up our original crawl-and-blam role. We move wide of the town to avoid mine and deal pretty effectively with enemy armour south of the village.

Karavan - A1 AT
Hustle hustle hustle. With SL Toppo coordinating a squad-level bound to the LZ FTL Homer designates security jobs to us as we make out way north. I leave a building just to see our attack helo make a brave ramming manoeuvre on a mountain. Under heavy fire we make it back to the LZ and jump into the chopper, only for the chopper to get critically hit before we can take off, so out we all get again and start defending. Lots of reports come in about a 3-story building pouring death all over us, and as I'm relatively confident there aren't any vehicles around I take to engaging it with my RPG. I get one rocket off, then panic as I'm reloading and shoot a rogue bad guy on a hillside close to us before I'm taken out.

These kinds of AI-puppeteer missions are so much fun, and make for a great way to introduce more toys into sessions. Can we do them more, please? Pleasey please?

Skyline - A3 AR
A3 was on the right of the squad and as such didn't see all that much contact for a lot of the mission, though as AR I did manage to burn through my ammo engaging at distance. Just as we take out the 4th or 5th ZU our FTL steps forward and gets taken out by another. Someone's already dealing with that when I get hit and OH GOD A HIND. The only person not injured in my team is comrade Fer, who suggests jumping on that ZU and giving the hind something to think about. I give him the go-ahead and the hind loses the battle. Fer gets me and Stff up and we push on, engage more enemies but the mission is called before a resolution. Hopefully my impromptu FTLing wasn't too painful.
DEINE WUNDERSCHÖNEN AUGEN HEAD
-Wolfenswan

SuperU

Post by SuperU »

The fog! oh the fog!

Crocuta

Post by Crocuta »

AntlerOwl wrote:After a while we got ordered to head into a concrete building. I went upstairs, and hung out near some people in another fireteam. A good ten seconds pass, and I notice that out of the two people there, neither had tags. I quickly opened the map, and checked to see if any fireteams showed up as being in the same building. Oh shit. I closed the map, but got shot before I had the chance to do anything. :bang:
That could have been us in Opfor Bravo 2. As soon as we arrived on the upper floor I saw a guy with no tag and opened fire, point blank. Luckily, my aim is terrible and it turned out to be BSL, but he didn't even notice. Later on we were the last FT left in Bravo, up near the roof healing Shins, and Spitnam starts panicking that he's right next to someone with no tag. I straight out told him to open fire, just in case. We then heard MrKev and friends skulking around our position for a while, healed up, and then marched onwards to our death.

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Skyline - Mortar gunner with no mortar

Since it turns out that 1-man mortar teams can't actually build a mortar, it took a while before I could steal one from the enemy and get operational, in between stealing KORDs and shooting hills. Therefore I spent a while just hanging back behind everyone else, shooting some pretty footage of our little jaunt across the mountaintops. I'm just going to leave this here: