[Sun] 08 Dec 2013 (Bravery in the absence of aversity)

How we died
wolfenswan

[Sun] 08 Dec 2013 (Bravery in the absence of aversity)

Post by wolfenswan »

A murder of 40 comrades attended session today, fighting for wonderful things such as colorful clothing, high heels and Van Halen.

ArmA 2
  • Beach Boys - A mission centered around the FACT that United States Marines always get into troubles and need her Majesty's finest to bail them out.
  • Compound It - The British can't count and declare victory after only 3 out of 4 caches destroyed, especially ecstatic about cowardly Opfor apparently having run for the hills.
  • Horse - A lesson in logistics turns ugly after CDF forces decide to exploit our only weakness: everything.
After-Party (still ArmA 2)
  • Cholo - We went back to a simpler time, when it PCP was easy to get hold of. And cheap.
  • Finale SE - And then we went even further back ...
  • Finale SE - Twice, in fact.

Satire

Re: [Sun] 08 Dec 2013 (Bravery in the absence of aversity)

Post by Satire »

Beach Boys - MAT Gunner

MAT was attached to Bravo to deal with any armoured targets, and mostly hung back behind the fireteams until needed. I'll be honest, I really don't like the NLAW, or any of the guided launchers for that matter, it has a massive muzzle flash and a tendency to lock on to random objects around the target or just not bother to lock at all, but you make the best of what you've got right? We made a short detour to engage a BMP2 to the north, then we got slightly rushed by tanks.

A bit later on in the town we were tasked with knocking out more armour, namely two T-72 down the western road into town. Ammo gone we went off looking for an RPG, eventually finding one back north at the gas station. Back in town, we ticked of an immobile T-72 then ran away to blow up the cache (and ourselves accidentally)

Compound It - OPFOR Bravo SL Blufor Alpha Medic

They took my squad! :argh:

Anyway, I got a new job as Medic, and given the IED/Mortar fest that went off last time, I expected to be busy.

Instead we had nearly zero contact, walked around a lot, redeployed by air, blew up three caches and the mission ended without a shot fired. What is this, milsim!? :laugh:

Horse - Bravo 1 Gunner/Commander

I like the concept of this mission, and it makes a big change from what we're used too. Plus getting to play with toys is fun too. Sadly, it all went a bit wrong.

I think our lack of experience in running big armoured missions shows, and slotting two to a tank didn't help much either. Thanks to Arma's wonderful engine limitations with regards to turning out, navigation was really difficult for my driver and myself, I spent a lot of the mission with my head out of the turret so I could figure out where everyone was relative to me rather than turning in and looking for targets. The end result was that it felt to me like having nine partially crewed tanks was far less effective than 6 fully crewed ones.

I think the infantry support could possibly be handled better through giving a designated player control over the squads via the high command interface. As it stood, once the puppeteer went down they just seemed to spam the radios and not do much at all.

But anyway, as for the mission there isn't too much to say, my tank was hit by rocket fire between the first and second objectives, nearly immobilized and finished off by something else before the repair crews could make it too us. It looks like our demise wasn't communicated to them and they ran straight to our burning wreck which ended badly for them.

Cholo - Gangfor Alpha Uzi man

I didn't do much, Spitnam ran someone over, Dogface got shot and the mission ended shortly after.

Finale SE - CO

In the briefing, Fer told me many useful things. However, nobody told me there was a whole Guards Tank Army tearing towards us...

Finale SE, take 2 - CO

Plan B, set up and shoot the mass of T-72's in the side. It actually went pretty well, but the third wave managed to push through after Gong blew up and MAT went non-resposnsive.
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

fer

Post by fer »

Beach Boys

Bravo SL: Fer
|- M: Stoner (Dr Kevorian)

I like this mission. I like it for two reasons: it's always fun when there are two distinct formations of players (provided we have sufficient comrades in the session), and whilst the mission throws plenty of heavy assets at the RM platoon, it rewards inter-squad co-ordination and methodical movement plans, making successes feel 'earned'.

For this playthrough, Bravo's role was to secure the southern approaches to our landing area, and then proceed south, dominating the coastal road and beach. Our corridor of operations was a little too narrow to simply plough along, two fireteams abreast, as I originally planned. Instead, Bravo's two fireteams moved in bounds: one on overwatch, perched on the top of the slope that rose up from the beach, the other moving quickly along the waterline.

Our initial engagements were at the landing area itself: infantry and technicals both to our west and coming up the coastal road from the south. Once given the go-ahead to move off south, our next engagements were at the petrol station, and a roadside bunker just beyond it. In both cases, Charlie's position to our north-west meant the enemy was nearly always caught in a moving version of an L-shaped ambush. It was very effective.

As we approached the road bridge north of the town, the coastline kicks out a little before the river outlet. Rounding this outcrop, we spotted a DShKM and spotlight on the docks further south. Whilst Bravo 1 kept an eye inland, Bravo 2 took out the enemy emplacements in a volley of rifle fire. The enemies never had a chance to rotate their heavy MG.

Moving fully into the river outlet, we used reed beds to cross over to the southern bank, always using overwatch. On the other side, Bravo 1 covered the docks to our south, whilst Bravo 2 crawled upslope to the roadside and began to get eyes on the town. MAT, which was attached to Bravo but had been sent off on another task, re-appeared through the reeds and joined me on the little slope by the bridge. This proved extremely fortuitous.

A BMP-2 came motoring up the coastal road from the south end of the town. Most of Bravo would have been safe, but my second concern at that moment was if the IFV crossed the bridge: assuming Charlie and Alpha were still in the relatively open ground north of the river, this would be a bad thing. My first concern, in all honesty, was that I was prone at the side of the road, pretty much where its tracks were heading. As I prepared to meet a squishy end, I heard a rocket being fired behind me. The BMP-2 fireballed not 10m from my position, sparing me the shame of being first SL to die.

We resumed our push southwards shortly after: Bravo 1 now sweeping the docks, whilst Bravo 2 moved along the road (with MAT trailing a little way behind). A block along, and Bravo 2 reported an enemy T-72 west of them, down a side-road leading further into the town. At a similar time, Bravo 1 spotted another BMP-2 further south along the coastal road. The tank was the more immediate threat, so MAT got ready to engage it - however, I think it moved off before we could get a shot off, so we had to leave it to the other squads. Meanwhile, Bravo 1 got ready to put a rocket into the BMP-2.

It didn't die. However, it did roll off to a position behind the storage tanks at the south end of the town, so we didn't die in a hail of cannon rounds. Now Bravo was continuing southwards, and Charlie had materialised just to our west and begun sweeping the yard where the enemy munitions were kept. This was great, right up to the moment when ZU-23 fire obliterated part of that squad and sent Bravo 2 ducking for cover. We would push on, using the yard's wall for cover and flank the mounted gun. Only the yard wall had great big gaps, which Bravo 2's FTL was none too keen on - so I told him to move very quickly!

With Bravo 1 keeping in line, we did reach the southern-most corner of the yard, but didn't have to enter it because our CO had gone all commando and killed the enemy gunner. Instead, Bravo now pushed even further south to engage the BMP-2 we knew was loitering there. And then a funny thing happened: the enemy BMP-2 flew about 10m up into the air, and came crashing back to earth. Bravo 2's make-shift RPG-7 gunners didn't like this at all, and put two rounds into it anyway. It was the only way to be sure. Then we spotted more tanks to out south, and over the next 5 minutes - and with help from MAT - we successfully engaged a T-72 and a T-34, whilst slowly shifting to the south-west corner of the town. There were a few enemy fighters in the woods too, but we dealt with them.

Our final movement was to withdraw northward, again moving in bounds, until we were in the centre of the built-up area, whereupon we turned east and headed for the docks. The mission was called before our extraction, but for the RM platoon at least it had been a success.

Horse

DC Gunner: Fer
|- Driver: Tigershark, then Ferrard Carson

At the beginning of Twelfth Night, one of the main characters asks for an excess of something (love), so that his appetite may sicken and die. I think. Anyway, after years of keeping comrades away from toys, I cracked and created this mission with so many T-90s that almost nobody could say they didn't get a chance to fulfil their armoured fantasies. My own armoured fantasy was to watch distant treelines explode with flame as lines of D-30s opened up on our tanks; this I got. And how.

Credit to comrade Danny, this is a hard mission to command - I don't think we've done very much with tank formations, and certainly not in these numbers. Just getting the movement formations arranged was a mini-game in itself, but the ultimate solution wasn't bad (at least in theory): recon out front, a wedge-shaped infantry screen, and then three Napoleonic lines of T-90s (with the engineers and medics following on like some demented baggage train).

At the first enemy concentration, Alpha, and then Bravo, dueled with distant D-30s and a rocket-firing BRDM. It was like watching a game of WALB, right up to the part where enemy infantry appeared from the woods to our right flank and began doing brave (but suicidal) things. Like some kind of Waterloo, battered tanks retired from the frontline and visited the engineers for patching-up, their places taken by comrades from other platoons. I think we lost half of our crunchies in this action, but no tanks.

The approach to the second concentration saw the majority of the platoon fan out, taking positions on a wide slope that led down into a broad plain. It was a commanding vista, but unfortunately it was also not a great place to stop: an SPG-9 on a high hill to our left began putting rounds into one of Alpha's tanks. The hits were remorseless, and though the enemy launcher was eventually knocked-out, we became bogged down.

An engineer repair truck duly appeared, which was fantastic until it exploded in a ball of flames. Comrade Carson (my new driver after Tigershark had departed) jumped out to go save the screaming mechanics, as did I. There was all manner of stuff going on around us and in the confusion I ran back to the wrong tank. Curse you, identical T-90s!

Once back in the tank we edged downslope a little, and took part in some long-range firefights with D-30s in the distant treeline, far to our South. It was like one of those PvP Sniper missions on a public server, only with tanks. The plain below us was littered with burning T-72s: in the earlier excitement, the rest of our company had engaged an enemy tank platoon that had come racing towards us. It was a wonderful scene.

It was also a little too distracting. One, perhaps two enemy T-72s had drawn up to our west, obscured a little by the the trees. Unlike the positively gentlemanly D-30 gunners and their Napoleonic volleys, these tank crews weren't kidding around. They schooled us on the topics of tunnel-vision and side-armour weaknesses. They schooled us hard.

When all of our tanks were burning wrecks on the hillside, only two brave crewmen could be found still advancing on foot. Comrade Dvl and one other (Zensos?) had been paying attention in another key Soviet armour class: Out of commission, become a pillbox. Out of ammo, become a bunker. Out of time, become heroes.

Unlike comrade AntlerOwl, who ran back to Party HQ, doubtless to report our failure in person. I can assure comrade AntlerOwl that he would have been greeted warmly, given a soothing mug of cocoa, de-briefed in full. And shot.

:colbert:

Changes to the next version of Horse:
  • Fix Group IDs and check markers for SL-level tanks
  • Provide all crewmen with GPS units
  • Exchange RU drivers for Chedaki engineers (so they can fix their own tanks)
  • Make puppeteer squads fully-playable and enable Group Respawn

Alex

Post by Alex »

ArmA 2
Beach Boys - MIA
Compound It - Bluefor Bravo Medic. Walked through the desert, got to blow a cache. Very nice but a little boring. 7/10, would vacation again.
Horse - Bravo 1 Driver with Satire. Being right behind the lead tanks, we got to see a lot of what was being shot at, but not a lot of what was doing the shooting. We survived for a little while until our right tracks were knocked out by what may have been friendly fire. We limped along at a blistering 5km/h until our inability to reverse allowed our vehicle to be terminally hit. We bailed, only to be caught in the secondary explosion.

After-Party (still ArmA 2)
Cholo - COPFOR. Alone, i holed up on the top floor of the police station. I made some plastic surgeons very happy with my work on Homer and Spitnam but eventually was overrun.
Finale SE - CO Medic. helped some people and was then informed that all pf alpha was wounded. I ran towards them, screaming by sheer bravery to the night sky before my yells were drowned out by machine gun fire and silenced.
Finale SE - Let's try this again. I helped some wounded people before making an attempt to reach our IFV to help the crew. Explosions and gunfire tore through and the enemy pushed past us although we suffered only light casualties.

Arma 3
Sneaky Time - Alpha 1 FTL.. oh wait, Satires dead. We decided to walk to the first objective and upon cresting one of the many hills our CO and Medic came face to face with an enemy patrol and were gunned down in what was most definitely not an assassination plot. Now in command, I got the team to the first objective, we neutralized and guard and got away leaving only bodies and explosions behind. After sone walking, running and hiding, we made it to the airfield where I was shot by a lone soldier that decided to just walk through a random group of trees.
(fake)

Dannysaysnoo

Post by Dannysaysnoo »

Beach Boys - Bravo Two Zero Ross Kemp Impersonator

Running around with a gruff, Lahndahn accent was pretty tough, but me and me lads pulled through. We spent a long time palled up with Fer, moving very sensibly as we went.

The mission was pretty standard stuff, until a BMP flew into the air and landed down about 50 meters away from us. Bit odd, that.

Compound It - Chinook Choppa Pilot

After taking off, and then going back, and then taking off again, Super Awesome Chinook went to it's job, flying above the target sights and shooting when it could. This didn't go very well.

After about 15 minutes, Alpha needed repositioning, which we obliged. We went back to shooting everything we were told to, until the mission abruptly stopped.

Horse - Commanding Officer of Fail

First off, I'd like to apologize again. This was a really tough thing to get together, and going back and forth on formations and groupings was probably a bad idea. Ultimately, I think we did okay with how it was planned, but it definitely needs a better experienced CO to run it properly.

Running with the recon at the front was probably sensible, but putting infantry with each set of tanks was probably foolish. Perhaps moving Recon > Infantry > Tanks may have been better.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Beach Boys
Deployed as Charlie 2 Fire Team Lead
We hit the beach facing westward amidst ominous silence, punctuated by the occasional deluge of outbound 5.56 as Bravo to our south and Alpha to our north engaged enemies that were hidden from Charlie by a rather inconvenient hill. With Alpha slowly slogging their way through light contact at the factory, Charlie and Bravo wheeled southwards, forming up slightly abreast of one another, with Charlie 1 and CSL in the lead. Yours truly settled Charlie 2 into the eves of a lone farmhouse in the middle of an open field as we waited for Alpha to finish clearing out the factory area... and waited. And waited.

In this time, Charlie 1 had pressed ahead on their slight rise, laying fire down in all directions from their commanding 3-meter hill. Me and Charlie 2 had our hands full laying down waves of fire on bad men constantly trickling down the mountainside from our southwest and into what could well be termed, "The Orchard of Death." Quite simply, there were very few places for the enemy to take cover, and our NVGs and laser-guided fire were too efficient to give them a chance to shoot back. Add to that the way that our GPs were perfectly zeroed on their low walls 150 meters away. Fish, meet barrel, meet minigun.

The tanks though... the tanks. They rolled past us in the dark, patrolling the plains around us. We managed to sneak through a gap in their pattern and reach Solnichny where MAT was making short work of the roving armored patrols. Unfortunately, Alpha was bogged down by loss-of-command as they moved through the space that Charlie 2 had just vacated, so we were re-tasked to leave the safe, comforting cover of Solnichny and go sort out what was going on. I led the team northwards, only for an entire platoon of T-72's to crest the hill ahead of us!

We dove to the ground and groveled in the low-grass because we had not one spec of AT assets on hand, and the T-72's proved just how unwieldy tanks can be when their gunners and commanders scanned right over our heads as they rolled past, not 5 meters away from my chiseled jaw.

To our rear, we heard them jack-in-the-box as MAT spent their last and then some on the horrific beasts of the night.

Compound It
Deployed as BluFor Alpha Squad Lead
As lead of the only squad with multiple elements, I presided over a textbook in-and-out procedure, not unlike the one performed on your mother last night. :fry:

Alpha bounded in a careful and orderly fashion to the southwestern cache. We blew it up. We bounded in a careful and orderly fashion back to the LZ, where we were bunny-hopped across a ridge to advance on the eastern cache... across a kilometer and a half of open terrain that wasn't so much a "ridge" as "the dirt displaced from a legion of moles burrowing under the ground." Thankfully, the enemy wasn't bothering to defend either of these massive caches of vital explosives. My binocs spotted the occasional dude poking his head over the ridge, or out of a building, or one particular dude who I kept calling fires down onto. He was in an east-facing 3-story building on the rise to the south of Upper Zavarak, constantly poking his head out the second-story balcony or third-story window. His building must've been on the verge of collapse by the time the third cache went up in flames.

Three of four caches destroyed? The fourth likely used to set traps for us? We'll chalk that up as a win, thank-you-very-much!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Horse
Deployed as Infantry 2 Lead Fer's illustrious driver.
One thing is abundantly clear: We at Folk ARPS are not very well-versed at all in armored doctrine. More on that in another post elsewhere.

Not being a fan of commander-less tanks, I refrained from snagging one of the many, many, many tanks. The infantry thing didn't quite work out as I'd hoped, however. Turns out, AI really don't like moving outside of formation when split into color groups. Or when one of them is writhing on the ground in agony. All the AI in formation after the wounded guy just sit there, posting off of the poor sod on the ground.

What that meant was that I had to move in order to get my guys to move. And PKM gunners' vision is based on movement. :owned:

I came to from this slumbering haze to find my tank's commander MIA, and my gunner rearing at the bit to see what was happening at the front-line. With Fer's direction, I followed close behind our CO's tank, keeping careful watch over our comrades as they sailed forth ahead of us. Eventually, I placed our tank (we'll call her "Daisy") in a hull-down position at the top of some gently sloping plains, and Fer put round after round downrange. A D-30 began open-sight firing at us from nearly a klick away, and we shoved off and away from the fountains of dirt. A 125mm smoothbore round settled that poor deluded fool's hash, and we headed back down the slope, a small red tick appearing in my crew-radar for a split-second.

I was determining whether this was worth mentioning when suddenly a sabot round crashed through the side of our hull. The machinery died, our engine grinding ominously as our gun's hydraulics failed and the raison d'etre of our steel beast drooped into my letterbox sights. We clambered out the hatches in a hurry, sprinting away as the call came over our radios, "Advance in a retrograde fashion, advance in a retrograde fashion!"

But it was too late. A trio of T-72's came crashing out of the woods on our right flank, squishing some of our remaining infantry beneath their treads as they belched fire. Our tank company was no more.

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

pvtbones

Post by pvtbones »

Beach boys
Asl
I got the shame of being the first sl to die. Alpha amd mmg did extremely well in my opinion. Although we lagged behind the the other elements since we were basically constantly being engaged from the hills.

A1 and 2 made a pretty much textbook landing on the beach and quickly going into their respective positions. Which happened to be practically on top of a mg bunker that appeared to be taking its union mandated 5 minute coffee break. They requested permission to take it out and it seemed like a no Brainerd to me so I didn't send it up to the co and just gave them the go ahead. Then we hunkered down and watched the factory off to our east for contacts, while the co set up our next waypoint. Once we got it we moved out and me and wolfenswan engaged random ones and twos that came out of the factory, while the alpha elements continued forward.

Basically the marker I placed down for a2 was a small hornets nest of either they lost their at in clearing it out. we started taking contacts from the forest heading out of the application and then reports of a possible bdrm behind us. I ordered lord Penney and his firearm (a1) to investigate and eliminate, they did so quickly and efficiently.

After that we basically were in constant contact from small groups of ei from behind and beside us while bravo and Charlie continued to creep forward beyond our means of covering their flank. Then a t72 showed up and somehow didn't notice us as it drove south down the ridge towards charlie. As I was organizing alpha to hunt down the t72 it was reported destroyed, phew.

There was a lull in the fighting so I took the opportunity to push us further south in a bounding maneuver and we came under light contact. I managed to get our next set of waypoints down and get a2 (?) To there's before we really started pouring our the fire. In the midst I'm trying to listen to the co give me orders. So I decided to move back a bit so I can hear better and what do I see?

6 ski masks staring at me I have just enough time to yell "shit behind us behind us!" And spam mouse 1 before I see spectator script. Luckily my panic managed to prevent any more casualties. The one time I didn't assign someone to watch the rear and what happens?? Lol

Horses

A2 almost gunner.
my sound crashed after we got into the mission I restarted my game and when I came back stoner was in my slot. :(

Mr-Link

Post by Mr-Link »

Horse

ENG 3 with Dancemoox and Croc

I must say I was pleasantly surprised by this one (and so were many other comrades from what heard). At first I was a bit skeptical because while I liked the premise, the area seemed a bit too tight to use proper armored tactics (As if we know how). Still, as far as I could tell sitting way back in the butt of our battle column, it seemed like it was a fun mission with lots of fire going back and forth and injured tanks limping back to the warm embrace of Dancemoox and Croc to be repaired. Or at least that was the idea......it seems there was a problem with repairing stuff in that mission. We Engies did not have our manual repair option (was that intentional?) so we had to rely on trucks, but even that was not a straight forward process. Dancemoox and Croc had to go through a whole ritual to get friendly tanks repaired. I experienced something similar when I tried to rearm Waffly's tank with my ammo truck. It was a convoluted process that required kicking out all the tank's occupants and then getting in as an engineer and trying to get the tank just right to repair or rearm. Still the mission was fun up until the point where our nice back support area suddenly became the new front line of the company and we had to race back with our trucks to the rear. I took a heavy caliber bullet to the face as I was driving the ammo truck, I didn't live long enough to see the big explosion.

So if I am allowed to make a few suggestions.......****waits for the familiar sound of a Makarov cocking****

Nothing? ok....If I may suggest. I think priority should be given to making the tanks fully crewed rather than having a full company. As for the infantry, I think we had good numbers, but it would be better to split the puppeteering duties for each squad. That is, say each squad is split between two puppet-masters instead of one. That way the infantry would be able to better spread out and cover different angles of the advance. Plus if a puppet-master dies we will have a fewer headless chicken running around. Better yet, if we could have a script that makes the AI join the other puppet-master after their original owner dies.

For the Engineers, I am not sure if the truck problems were mission related or just ArmA being ArmA. As fun as it was to yell at tank crew "Sir(s), PLEASE EXIT YOUR VEHICLE IMMEDIATELY", I think that should be fixed. Otherwise, please give us back our manual engineer repair-magic-wavy-handy-thigie. :eng101:

Sneaky time

IceRaiser, your mission was perfect for the numbers that we had. However, I recall many slots were left unfilled. I don't know if you made the mission scale up with the numbers of people playing. For more people, the numbers of foot patrols should increase, and probably make them a fire team each instead of two people. The number of vehicles was fine. Maybe you can add a search (not armed) helicopter to the mix, but it is not necessary.

Also, I made a quick check in the editor. There is no way to kill that MLRS with one RPG rocket, even if you hit it right smack in the tail pipe. I suppose your intention is to have the demolition guys do it anyways, but if for any reason (or many reasons with guns :mrgreen:)the demo guys cant get to the MLRS like what happened in our run, , then the RPG is very unreliable as a backup option with only one rocket....just saying. :D

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Beach Boys
MMG Gunner, with Croc

Short Version: I had a big gun and killed all the people. AI sucks big time at night.

We landed with Alpha and took position near a bus stop. Pretty soon we engaged an MG nest and a technical coming on the coastal road from the north. Then Alpha was tasked with moving west, slightly south of the factory.
Ferrard Carson wrote:we waited for Alpha to finish clearing out the factory area... and waited. And waited.
And as far as I know, you could still be waiting.
Alpha was never tasked with clearing the factory, or at least it was never transmitted on the squad channel. So, as MMG was tasked to stay behind alpha, I had a slight panic moment when I spotted a bunch of men by the south entrance of the factory and couldn't tell if they were enemies or not. I ran in a perfect circle like a headless chicken, found a position at the corner of a wooden fence (which absolutely does not qualify as cover. Ever.) and engaged them as I finally reported the contacts to Croc.
Then it was a long succession of small "firefights" where I would engage a bunch of dudes at close/medium range and none of them would ever return fire.
There was a hind, at some point, circling around. Grabbed my courage with two firm hands, threw it straight into the trash bin and ran to hide behind a house. Which ended with killing a dude point blank, as he was prone right in the middle of Alpha squad. Literally. Then the Hind crashed, as far as I know. Because AI are such great pilots.
Later, there was a fireteam, on our left, moving towards Charlie's back. Shot them down. Turns out there was probably a squad + of enemies, and they just kept running into my sights like a bunch of lemmings.
Alpha was getting bogged down, and I moved my team south to finish any fish that would have survived in that barrel. When that was done, we reoriented towards Alpha, only to shoot two more dudes running around trees 10 meters away from them.
We got in overwatch of the final town, when the order was given to go and try to rescue the US Marines. 2 kilometers away. Although we did get to kill a few more dudes and an MG bunker, there was no way we could make it there in time, and we soon were to move into the town itself.
Where we witnessed Bravo or Charlie trying to blow stuff up with a 203, killed a couple more dudes at an alarming close range and find some civies boats to escape.

43 kills by the end of the mission (a full platoon), and I don't remember any of them returning fire at any point. Can't tell if that was just the absence of night vision or the server being slow.

Compound it was, sadly, a waste of time due to the referee being drunk.

Horse
Bravo Platoon Lead Driver, under InverseLaw

Same observations as everyone, apparently.
a- We're not good at tanking
b- Two fully crewed tanks are (way) better than three half-crewed tanks.
c- We're not good at tanking.
d- As much as the column plan might actually be effective (except that e- We're not good at tanking), it seemed to quickly get boring for the people at the back of the column (e.g Charlie). Pretty soon the whole order of march disappeared and platoons had no space whatsoever to maneuver. Also, the infantry should probably used to cover areas the armor cannot reliably cover (like that first forest to the south to cover the north treeline of the first AO), plus it would remove them from under the tanks' tracks.

Regarding the infantry, I would actually suggest that the pupeteers be allowed to Teamswitch to the rest of their squad. They're the most vulnerable people on the battlefield, they don't get no toys, and it prevents the ai from going totally useless once the SL is dead. I'd also add an infantry platoon leader under the command of Coy HQ, so that the latter can concentrate on leading his tanks.

pvtbones

Post by pvtbones »

just to add onto what mamba said. I was told to ignore the factory and only if we were really coming under fire from it to clear it out.