[Sun] 08 Dec 2013 (Bravery in the absence of aversity)

How we died
Dogface

Re: [Sun] 08 Dec 2013 (Bravery in the absence of aversity)

Post by Dogface »

In lieu of a full AAR for now, have some videos. I done wrassled with Adobe premiere and it is now behaving itself.

Beach Boys - USMC leader

This was my first time playing as the yanks on this mission, and it went well inasfar as we more-or-less completed our mission, not counting the artillery piece that Tigershark showed mercy to and the intel that ended up never strictly speaking making it offshore. BUT THAT IS BESIDES THE POINT. The real point is the question of whether the party will execute my only family, or my full extended family, for my bizarre failure of situational awareness when.. well, let me explain.

With four soldiers carrying lightweight loadouts plus me and medic dancemoox, we sneaky-snuck our way up hill and down dale until we had our eyes on point 'dudekill', where our bullets had an appointment with a certain enemy leader. At this point the importance of the Green Cross Code was made clear by the antics of a techie that just would not be stopped.

After clearing the factory, killing the dude, and avoiding a sneaky ambush by an AI disguised as a piece of grass, we drew up on the hill above Orlovets and spotted a BMP downhill. Clutching one of his packs of C4 in his teeth, Tigershark crawled towards it to have his wicked way with its tailpipe. On his return we I organised a fun easter egg hunt for morale-building purposes.

With the easter eggs found, we were ready to throw them at the enemy artillery. However the enemy in Orlovets knew the true value of a well-executed Swarm of Bees tactic and surrounded us. Not that I noticed. No, my sights were trained on the one man who could save us (due to still having legs), Audiox...

You can see the whole mission (well, edited down a bit) here:

Compound It

A peaceful mission, whose only British casualty was Guus getting eaten by a rock. However, this did give us a great opportunity to practise our teamwork, with a solid plan provided in a clear manner by Tigershark, supplemented by pitch-perfect bounding and mutual support of fireteams by Alpha SL Ferrard, combined with nice, tight movement, arc-covering and communication by my FT members. I'd go so far as to call it pretty much a textbook example of how we try to operate. You can see the whole mission here:

And a particularly nice pickup-and-dropoff by Alpha in concert with ace pilot Danny.

Horse - Alpha tank platoon leader / A0 tank driver

Once Danny had us neatly arrange din a 3x3 grid of tanks, supported by a Recon group at the front, support engineers at the back, and troops on either flank, we started rolling our way down the road to Lopatino(?) in an extremely loud and explosion-filled manner. Things went pretty well at first, with Alpha at the front-line lasting a surprisingly long time and many layers of defense getting blasted to smithereens in our path. Sadly when we encountered some real resistance in the form of enemy armour, our advance fell apart like a tear-soaked paper towel. You can see the whole mission here:

As everyone exploded and everything went to hell, Dannysaysnoo called a retreat, which was the secret pre-arranged signal for a glorious, futile charge forwards into the jaws of death, hearts burning with the defiance of our people.

Success!
Last edited by Dogface on Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dancemoox

Post by dancemoox »

Beach Boys - USMC Corpsman

Longtime since I've been on the USMC side of things for this one. I moved with Dogface watching his back and dropping bad dudes as we cleared the factory got the documents and made our way to the next down in search of the arty we had to destroy. Along the way Tigershark showed heroism in crawling up to enemy armour to blow it up disable it in an angering way, then we lost the remaining charges for a time, Dogface shot Tiger a little and then we attacked the next town. Things were going well until the covering team reported lots of enemy movement to the north of the town. I shot the gunner in the bunker south of the road and dropped the gunner of a nearby ZU-23. With enemy pouring in from the north and reports of a vehicle I got inside the bunker and got into a defensive position, where I was then shot by Tiger who then Dogface shot and then everybody shot each other resulting in our actions being disavowed by HQ..

Compound It - Opfor Alpha 2 AAR - Fer FTL Draakon AR IceRaiser AT

Fer drove us to the town we were to defend like we were on a family outing to kill the infidel, we parked out nice Taki transport nearby and set up in two buildings. Fer and Ice went looking for a building with eyes into the town, Draakon and myself went for a nice three story with attached wooden viewing platform. There we waited, and waited and waited. Eventually the Chinook dropped people well beyond the town to the east and then it began to straff our building from a stationary hover around a kilometer away. With each burst of fire I'd meet Draakon at the stairs and hope the building didn't crumble. Some time later the mission ended due to broken win conditions, I was rather looking forward to shooting the slowly advancing enemy. I'd count you out from cover and keep track of you as you advanced, it was such a nice little wooden terrace I had with garden patio furniture and smoking facilities too..

Horse - Engineering Team Leader - Croc & Mr-Link

That's a lot of tanks to take care of, I envisioned us having magic engineer hands to fix them part of the way and the trucks to do the rest. Once we got in after the understandable mammoth planning session I took the wheel of the refuel truck Mr-Link took the helm of the rearm truck and Croc was given the dubious honour of the repair truck. We then set off driving around a swarm of headless AI infantry as well as a dead body. We formed up in the convoy and I waited our check-in on CC it was with some pride I said 'Engineers good to go' or stoic words similar. We rolled out keeping in line with the movement order, soon we found ourselves with gunfire to the west and all the tanks in front of us. I kept my trucks spaced apart fearing one of our rolling bombs would kill us all. Soon enough we moved beyond the sounds of Draakons puppets killing and dying and pushed closer to the front line to be closer to the armoured protection bubble. When the first of Alphas tanks called in a repair request I dispatched Croc with speed, requesting further information from Dogface as to the nature of the damage as well as the tank number, then directing his tank to pull back for repairs. It was then I found we didn't have magic repair hands, those funds being diverted to pay for the toy bill.. Croc was unable to repair the tank so I pushed up to render some repair authority to the situation. Finding the tank crew unable to repair themselves despite being next to the truck I jumped in the tanks commander seat, switched to vehicle coms and said in the most authoritative Scottish Engineering voice "get out the tank so I can repair it" the driver and gunner duly did and turning the commanders turret towards the repair truck one of the crew jumped back in prompting "I said get the fuck out so I can repair this thing". Finally in charge of the vehicle I was able to repair it, gave the crew the nod and contacted Dogface letting him know his tank was good to go again. The same procedure was repeated several times, jump in order crew out repair and send them back out again. When one of the tanks close to the front line was immobilized I parked up my fuel truck and told Mr-Link to hold where he was, I jumped in the passenger seat next to Croc and we pushed towards the immobilised tank. Repeating the same process this time under fire and with less patience "fucking out". The tank was good to go and we were turning around to pull back to Mr-Link when an incoming shell hit us, we got cooked a little bit but were otherwise good to go. Mr-Link stayed where he was dispensing much needed ammunition. I dragged a few crew members out of a burning tank and then finding I didn't even have basic medical training fell back to my fuel truck for a drive back to the staging area for a replacement repair truck. Along the way I soiled myself as some bright spark had dumped excess gear and ammo on the road making it appear I was about to drive over mines at full speed. Croc was less than impressed at my "oh fuck" as he was busy checking the map. With the replacement truck we returned to the fray patched up one more tank before the flanks were destroyed by enemy armour pouring in. Tank element leaders were requesting repairs for tanks blown up and finally CO ordered a pull back. We jumped in our trucks turned 180 and blasted along the road. Myself in the lead followed by Mr-Link and then Croc. Mr-Link didn't make it and my truck took a good whack of rounds. Seeing imminent defeat and deciding to drive my fuel loaded truck right at the enemy might take one out I turned around and was making best speed south announcing we were taking the fight to the enemy when mid sentence I exploded, in what must have been a nice fireball.

A nice enjoyable mission and a distinct change of pace. I hope my gruff engineering manner wasn't too much for you tank boys..

Cholo - Detective Superintendent Moox

Lots of PCP junkies not a lot of cops. My plan was to have two cops in the station and two out. The two in would hunker down and stay alive as long as possible. The two outside would cause as much to decrease the crime rate of the local area as possible. Annoyingly WPC Draakon went off radio and got herself run over in an RTC, by that point it was too late to get a replacement officer over into the station so it was down to Fake Alex to hold the line. I did my best killing two junkies from the roof of a residential building before being wounded morally by a dashingly moustached rouge.

Finale SE - Delta AR - IceRaiser FTL Mr-Link AAR DVL AT

First Round

Hunker down behind a tree, try not to catch a tank shell to the face. Gong parked behind us blew up, DVL took bullet(s) to the face and died next to me. I grabbed his RPG fired the last round at the side of a tank, turned around to shout the words "Ice were out of AT" and found Ice was dead and that I was also dead..

Second Round

I must have lived 33% longer, I fired at tank crew that bailed then got killed..

Also worth mentioning is A3 Sneakytime where the secretive mating ritual was undertaken and then it was pistols at nighttime :D
ramming speed!

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Beach Boys - BAF Alpha Medic

Alpha was guarding the platoon's rear most of the time and kept picking off stragglers emerging from the north-western forests. At one point I also spotted BRDM-2 headlights ominously looming through the forests which was a) a bit scary and b) pretty badass (by me). After more hostiles were taken out - including a rogue T-72 - Bravo/Charlie realized that they couldn't go on without us and we were called down South. While crossing a field we took some fire and a moved forward to check for injured people. Unfortunately that left bones alone guarding the rear and some CHdKZ goon snuffed him. I took revenge but it was too late for our beloved SL.

The mission continued, more tanks were dealt with and CO got scared of us stealing all the glory. Thus we were sent back the way we came to help the helpless (USMC). The ungrateful Americans died long before we got there thus yet again we had to turn around and run back the way we came (killing dudes along the way because why not). We reached town and soon after the mission was called.

Horse - INF 3 Leader

I dismounted and sent my AI forward in a straight line. Thanks to their uncanny cAIpabalities (!) they spotted all the enemies I didn't see and picked them off one by one, while I waited in a safe distance. I think I lost some of them due to being squished by friendly tanks and eventually I myself took a bullet from somewhere, ending the mission for me and leaving my poor AI comrades without a leader.

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

I like your AAR dogface, it has short, condensed videos and you give a short backstory of them also.
+ watching you kill friendlies an not killing Ruskies that are 2m away from you, is always nice (I was almost screaming ''SHOOT HIM, SHOOOOOOT HIM DOG'') :D
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Aww, thanks Kefirz! Now I have some half-decent hardware I've started doing the session-recording thing. In fact I have a channel, Dogface:Games! And speaking of which, I've added some more videos to the post above. I'm especially fond of this one.