[Tue] 21 Jan 2014 (Forestry Hind & The Crystal Maze)

How we died
dancemoox

[Tue] 21 Jan 2014 (Forestry Hind & The Crystal Maze)

Post by dancemoox »

Thanks to the 35 Comrades that took part in tonights session, again apologies for the technical difficulties at the start. Our engineers located the Imperialist saboteurs and they have been dealt with.

Missions on the menu were:

Arma 2
  • Forest Gateau
  • Police Rescue
  • Clear Skies
  • Cholo - Zargabad Precinct
Arma 3
  • Random Engagements - Green v Blue Edition
  • Exothermic Reaction
  • Random Engagements - Red v Blue Edition
Thanks again, post your mission feedback, recollections of mortars tenderising you and lovely poems below.
ramming speed!

IceRaiser

Re: [Tue] 21 Jan 2014 (Forestry Hind & The Crystal Maze)

Post by IceRaiser »

Forest Gateau
Chinook Pilot with Stewardess Charleymac(CHARLIIIEEEEE!) and Tink.

We loaded up everyone but Tink(Who decided to guard Candy Mountain for Charley until we returned) and flew to the LZ. Nice big open field, didn't take fire.
Went back to pick up Tink and flew back to provide some CAS. We found technical or two that decided to rip a fuel line and my cigarr off with a few 12.7 rounds.
Charley got some withdrawal from lack of sugar and bailed out while I skillfully, and totally not bleeding out, landed the Chinook so Tink could rub my belly.

Draakon and his medic joined up and licked my jam off when Charley came out of the forest, with a panda head instead of a helmet, mumbling something about "I killed the thing I love the most".
I gave him a Snickers(tm), Tink informed me that we were "Leaking fuel like a stripper in the VIP" (whatever he ment with that) so we RTB'd and fixed her up.

Back to the AO, Miniguns rollin' hot and infantry dying... we took some RPG fire and a stinger aaaand then everyone was dead but us.
Totally a victory for the Chinook "Destiny"!

Police Rescue
Police Commander.
Plan was to spread my guys in two teams;
Me, Wrath and Dan(?) would take one building while Draakon, Charley and (third dude that I totally forgot) would take one just across the yard.
This way they might find and kill one cell, but the next will have a chance to escape to the loving embrace of BluFor.

We heard lots and lots of gunfire East of our buildings(around the mosque) and decided to peak out. Dan got bullets to his face, I managed to kill the OpFor UAZ gunner before getting winged.
Luckily it was but a scratch and Wrath fixed me up.
We held our roof and even killed two OpFor that couldn't decide if Wrath's back was friendly or just fat.
Draakon's PTSD kicked in when the sweet sound of a SAW was exchanged for two RPK's and he yelled "I'M NOT GOING TO DIE AGAIN!" and sprinted away north west.
I told Charley to follow him as his bodyguard and wished them the best of luck. Which was good, 'cuz Draakon found an operable Hummer that we totally borrowed.
4 Police Officers survived the horrors of Zargabad... :cop:

Clear Skies
B3 AR under Aqarius with Zitron and AkKind(Ack-Ack-Kind as the Germans call him).
The initial plan was good with our three FT's bounding and using the few trees that were in our intended path.
Sadly the SL did a little bit too much micro-managing and the overall plan didn't change a bit when we got contacts East(between us and Alpha) or West(moving north to flank us) which ment that soon we had enemies from South-via West- to the North.
Yeah, we died.

Oh and "A certain Humpty-like-character" decided to bring up the SPG-Technical past our lines, after being told to stay behind, and then managed to drive over the Medic... :siiigh:

Cholo - Zargabad Precinct
STORM THE STATI-Oh it's over

Random Engagements - Green v Blue Edition
Blu commander. Audiox and Draakon as my trusty FTL's.
After inspecting the local ice cream shop I decided that the sleepy town of Sophia was strategically important and thus we had to defend it against the silly Greenfor!

Audiox was given the West while Draakon would hold the NorthEast parts of town, with the troops spread out in their own buildings and with the orders to rather fall back than take a fight.
All the enemies moved in from the West, meaning Audiox had his hands full once the enemies were within ~200m and I gave him the "Fire on your go"-order.

Greenfor thought we would lay down and surrender our ice cream... never! I flanked around the SW while Satire ran head first, ice cream in one hand and his trusty MX on auto.

THERE WAS A FIREFIIIIIIGHT!
And we totally won. GG

Exothermic Reaction
DefendFor
"Hold the huge tower" they said, "No one will attack it", they said...
I tried to open the door but kept opening and closing the shutter instead. When I finally opened the door there was an enemy FT there ready to Bang and Clear...
The bang tasted like metal fragments :(

Random Engagements - Red v Blue Edition[/list]
CSAT Commander
During the first mission I joked that we should defend the salt flats. Well with a second shot I decided that CSAT wanted all the salt for their (anti-)Freedom Fries.

We deployed in a nice defensive circle and waited for Blu to come in.
Our Circle o' Peace was about 300m and the flats themselves over 1km so they'd had to be in the open to reach us.
Once Blu deployed to our West we all turned that way and lit them up.
Blu's second FT(or command?) dug their tunnel a bit crooked and ended up to our south, so we shot at them as well :D

Head and Draakon tried assaulting the guys to the west while me and Moon went south.
H&D Dieded and I got to use Moon's corpse as a shield ;)

I was down to two mags, only two men were up and they were also running low on ammo. Luckily Blu was down to one guy and I had 8 HE grenades. So I ran.
As I was closing in... he ran :siiigh:
Didn't catch up to him but my brothers from the East ated him with their last bullets :hist101:

dancemoox

Post by dancemoox »

Forest Gateau - MAT Assistant

Penny and I landed with Alpha and went running off into the woods, as A1 and A2 met contacts in the open field I reported the contacts to Penny and opened fire. When mortar rounds landed nearby I kept moving from cover to cover encouraging Penny to do the same and sure enough where we'd just been was hit, I took a little shrapnel but was still walking around. We pushed further to the south saw some more contacts and dodged more explosive trees. In the end we were squished in tight with the remainder of Alpha when a mortar landed between me and Penny, I crawled over to wounded penny and a mortar landed where I had been. Penny was revived and took probably six steps, Issus started to heal me up, I was turned over and blam, ate a mortar to the face :dance:

Police Rescue - Opfor Medic / M2 Gunner

Well this one proved to be quite the clusterfuck, I'd like to remind people to read the briefing, I'm looking at you Bluefor, don't go all USAUSAUSA and murder friendly forces - it doesn't reflect in the newspapers. Anyway I got Audio to move me forward, I opened up on an enemy vehicle, called backwards and was shot from the cop hiding place above.

Clear Skies - MMG Gunner - Fudgesomethingsomething Assistant

Some ninja stealth movement in the forest before Alpha walked right up to the Tunguska, with it blown we started to pull back along our approach, Bravo "dealt with" a Hind and Alpha was able to disable an AGS UAZ, I checked it was serviceable but was called back to join the fallback. When a BRDM-2 gave no fucks driving down the road through Alpha I ran back for the technical and put it to good use suppressing :D the north as my Assistant got some wounded up. Once he was free to take over the gun I lay down some suppressing fire them moved us along slowly with Alpha. Three AI in a field wounded a decent chunk of Alpha but they were soon dealt with, I'd fire a burst of inaccurate MMG fire followed by a rain of AGS fire. As we pulled back into the woods south of the vehicle dismount area I pushed the technical forward faster than Alpha. I was reporting it clear of contacts when the Hind that refused to die started its murderous light show. I had utterly no idea what was shooting at us, I managed to wheel us back around and gunned it but was dead seconds later. I must say Satire I rather enjoyed that mission

Cholo - Zargabad Precinct -Gangfor CO

I went with a relaxed attack schedule, deciding it was best to plink with my silenced makarov from afar on building tops. Alas it seems some cops decided to be outside on a doughnut run so it all ended rather quickly!

Arma 3
Random Engagements - Green v Blue Edition - AAF A3 AR

After a bit of confusion on my part as to who was attacking we got underway, A3 was some distance from the rest of the AAF force moving into the town. When contacts were reported by Homer to the right, I doubled back expecting someone to try a sneaky flank, sure enough they were and got the drop on me by a few seconds..

Exothermic Reaction

Ice mentioned the war and got away with it, grenades were thrown and I found I can pass through solid objects not quite at will..

Random Engagements - Red v Blue Edition - Light Show 3rd Technician

Tracers for everyone, then I followed Ice on his run at the west enemy. I may have rolled over him to get out of the line of fire, with one mag remaining I died and Ice used me for shelter against the cold night on the salt flats.

Very enjoyable session, I hope to see you all on Friday :D
ramming speed!

Issus

Post by Issus »

Forest Gateau
Alpha Medicman (ASL: audiox)

Strapping on our PTSD pants (brown) we headed back into the Forest of Explosive Precipitation. On the whole I've had a good run dodging mortars in the past, and it seemed like luck was on Alpha's side when the sounds of heavy engagement came echoing down from Bravo's side of the hill. Sadly, that was followed by a succession of bowel-loosening BOOM!!!s all around us, and one of the fireteams going silent on teamspeak. Erk.

Ducking and weaving our way from treeline to treeline, the remaining FTs fought their way down the hill as I ran back to patch up Lord Penney and dancemoox, who had been lightly pebble-dashed by a stray round. Penney insisted we were safe as "...mortar rounds never hit the same place twice!" but, just like that old public service video from CHKilroy illustrated (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdZpiAqdDSM), that may not be entirely true. Up to my elbows in dancemoox's intestines at the time, I was apparently saved by the Famous Original Moon-Moon Brand Meatshield(tm) whilst Penney decided to jump 200ft into the air and scatter himself over a wide area. And thus was the end of MAT.

More frantic scenes followed, some light belly rubbing, and a horrible 60 seconds of hiding behind the most slender tree in the woods as a hidden enemy squad decided to concentrate fire on me and me alone. Soon even audio and Tiger were incapped, we had a technical driving around behind us, and Alpha was left to bleed out a few hundred metres inside the red zone.

Side note: In spectator, it was impressive to see the sheer number of RPGs launched at and dodged (...mostly) by "Destiny". Ice continues to be a slippery bastard whether by land or by air.

Police Rescue
OPFOR Alpha 1 man?

Confession: I've never lived long enough in this mission to have the chance to be confused by the policemen's lack of uniform. :|

Dogface's plan was to drive quickly into the centre of town, try to hold the high places, and get eyes out on the surrounding area. Soon we'd bumped into BLUFOR's Humvees coming in from the north, so we tried to flank through the streets to the direct east. Sadly, I was doing such a good job of being sneaky-sneaky that my FTL thought I was an enemy ninja and proceeded to riddle me with bullets.

Plying me with chest-compressions and apologetic words, the FTL attended to my wounds while the others re-engaged the enemy at close range. Unfortunately, in admiring each other's marksmanship, they failed to notice they were being flanked themselves, and soon all my prone form could see were bullet impacts and the dead bodies of my FT.

"Don't worry" said the soothing baritone voice near me "I shot those two guys who were firing on you".

"Thanks!” I said, before remembering that Inverslaw(?) was on the other team and therefore probably wasn't talking to me. So I shot him in the back.

Clear Skies
Bravo 2 AARman (FTL: Croc, with Gaius and stff)

Began the mission with a cushy front seat in the truck, and Croc asking me the age-old question about how to pronounce my name. Sadly it had been a long day finished with alcohol, so my answer was rambley whilst also managing to contradict itself. For the record I'm good with either "Eye-sus" or "Issss-us", and have been known to answer to "Issues" from time to time. "Isss-us" is potentially less likely to be confused with other names though ("Ice", etc.)

Conversation then moved on to how Gaius generally tends to die early (and horribly) when in Croc's fireteam, but still keeps choosing them during slotting anyway. Determined to make Gaius's short time on this earth enjoyable, we engaged in banter as we stealthily skirted an enemy fireteam patrolling through the woods. Holding up at some rocks, we heard gunfire off to the west and then all hell broke loose.

Firstly, we engaged the enemy patrol we had spent so much time avoiding earlier. And then Gaius dropped dead, of seemingly unknown causes. Speculating that he had somehow just lost the will to live, I stole his RPK and followed Croc and stff into the treeline south. Sadly, it was around this point that it became obvious we were taking fire from pretty much all directions. A confusing few minutes of desperate blazing away at distant shadowy shapes followed by frantic healing ensued. We were ordered back and forth, in and out of cover, until stff lost his legs and I was hurriedly trying to get Croc up when the order to retreat came. Croc was pretty much healed by that point, so we charged back over the open field we had advanced across moments before. Croc got hit again, and as we were already surrounded at the RV point, I thought I'd try to drag him the few metres to cover before fixing. An AI with better aim (and tactical reasoning, probably) made sure that didn't happen.

Oh well. The few remaining Bravo guys died shortly afterwards, but we did get to see the glitching chopper of death take revenge on the cowardly members of Alpha who had left us to our fate.

Cholo - Zargabad Precinct
Gangman

Fell victim to the Po-po's decision to hold a high line of defence, which quickly turned into their undoing when the only cop actually in the precinct was killed.

Random Engagements - Green v Blue Edition
Greenman

Having pushed into town, a moment of lag meant I was gunned down by my own FTL for the second time that night. Once patched up we were ordered to (finally) move. Sadly, that was the precise second Satire decided to flank from the direction I'd been watching studiously moments before. He then proceeded to murder the rest of my FT and claim the victory. I was also reminded that I should probably play A3 more than once every two months if I want to at least remember what the keybindings are. :siiigh:

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

I only played Clear Skies, as Alpha Medic. Not much action for me, except for some running around healing people and yelling for some more suppressive fire.
In any case, I'd like to congratulate SuperÜ on some very good and enjoyable Squad leading, as well as the whole squad for being relatively quick to follow orders and move as directed.
I got killed in the last 200 meters before the castle.

Satire

Post by Satire »

Forest Gateau - BSL

Bravo got the fun task of pushing into a tree-line that rapidly turned into a slaughterhouse, complete with mortars and dudes in the trees. Somehow we managed to pull out without loosing too many (well, MMG and one man from each FT) and begin the trek to Alpha who seemed to be having all the fun/death.

Sadly, as we moved the mortars took their toll, as did a technical out in the fields and whittled out down one by one. HQ ordered a withdrawal, but the troops mutinied and decided to charge. I was knocked down by a mortar and bled out in the dirt.

Police Rescue - Blufor A2 FTL

I was killed in the initial IED ambush by wither the bomb or HMG fire from somewhere. Spectating lead to some interesting moments, like Opfor shooting each other, failing to figure out who was Indfor and watching one Opfor soldier run about a kilometre south of zargabad, back up again and begin engaging friendly AI manning static weapons.

Clear Skies - A3 AT

Oh Jesus. I knew this would be intense but wow.

Alpha made a sneaky insertion to the east of the AO, making it undetected into the woods while Bravo was running into hostiles to the North. We got lucky and the Tunguska was parked in the woods about 150m away from us in the trees. One FT took a shot and missed, leaving it up to me. My one and only rocket shot off to a resounding boom, followed by a fireball. With that we began the retreat, and the real fun started. Before we even got out of the forest, an AGS UAZ blundered into us before falling victim to MMG and small arms fire, leaving it free for MMG team to liberate. At some point I remember hearing reports that Bravo had splashed a Hind which had gone down in a forest nearby. We'll get back to that later.

About as soon as we made it to the road a BRDM-2 comes barrelling up it, guns blazing. I'm hit and wounded, watching AGS grenades detonate all over it's hull as a team-mate give me the magic belly rub of life. Once we were on our feet we headed north to the vehicles, taking fire from infantry contacts converging on the burning AA vehicle. We managed, by leadership, fire-power and miracle to get back on our feet and move off to our ride home.

Almost home safe to the vehicles, the forest suddenly lit up to the sound of gating guns. The hind bravo splashed had crash landed in the middle of the woods and wasn't quite dead yet. It's pilots were understandably very angry at us and blazed lines of shells at us. The wounded giant even tried to take off until it ate an RPG and exploded. We cheered and legged it to the vehicles to get the hell out of there and back to the castle.

Well, turn out the ride back wasn't going to be easy either. The enemy technicals had set up around our start point. We got the drop on them but the had EI in the trees as well. The last part of the mission was a mad dash to the castle, which saw some of make it back to claim victory. Congratulations Alpha, we're the best!

Cholo - Copfor

Thought i'd go outside for a change. Got two guys before the third blind-sided me. Turns out we forgot to leave anyone in the station. Ooops...

Random Engagements - Green v Blue Edition - A2(?) AAR

We saw them coming from a mile off and opened up when they were close. After an initial enhance of tracer and RPG fire, I spent most of the mission on my own trying to flank the enemy and catch them of guard. The fact that I accounted for 6 dudes, 4 of who were all within 5m of each other says I had the right idea. :clint:

Exothermic Reaction - A2 FTL

We took the sneaky approach through the reeds and the gulley, putting us about 75m from the big green tower. I don't know if the FT in there expected us but we went through them pretty fast. With our new vantage point we could suppress and pick off the other defenders in the guard towers. At some point I had a run in with a friendly GP and died. Still, we blew the truck, so it's a win for Blufor.

Random Engagements - Red v Blue Edition - Get-shot-the-hell-up-for

I'm not sure if picking the salt flats is a dick move or genius. Either way, it was one hell of a pretty tracer show!
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

IceRaiser

Post by IceRaiser »

Satire wrote:The fact that I accounted for 6 dudes, 4 of who were all within 5m of each other says I had the right idea. :clint:
The Genetic modifications worked! THEY WORKED! :science101:
Satire wrote:I'm not sure if picking the salt flats is a dick move or genius. Either way, it was one hell of a pretty tracer show!
Genius :v:

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

100th post celebratory highlights video! The date on the title screen is wrong but screw the rules, I have money.*
* I don't have money

EDIT: Fixed!

Short but sweet session for me as I had to head off when the A2 session ended, but a lot of fun! :dance:

Clear Skies was cut short for me when Egg's SPG technical, fleeing RPGs, barreled out of the forest and over my face and body and arms and legs, but it was fun to observe the rest of the mission as Alpha got up to all sorts of shenanigans, massing their fire and having fire massed on them with amusing frequency. With a stolen AGS technical along for the ride and an ambush that served to distress more than damage a BRDM, it was quite the fireworks show.

Forest Gateau involved some snappy tactics from Tigershark, and a lovely continuous rain of mortars all around us that extracted many humorous noises from Dan while also horribly murdering us, with the help of the Zulu-like heaps of rebel badmen shooting us from the trees. Once we succumbed I got to watch Bravo pile their way into the forest towards the mortars, but they didn't even make it to the red circle that marked our main AO before being wiped out in a glorious fashion. All that remained was to watch Iceraiser's chinook and crew repeatedly defy fate (in the form of RPGs, stingers, bullets and angry birds) to fulfill their destiny of ending the mission alive. :clint:

By the way, Police Rescue was a fun mission - highlight was, as OPFOR, sneaking up to BLUFOR's parked humvees and trying to blow them all up before getting taken out by Draakon - but on my (admittedly crappy) system I wasn't able to get above 7FPS (20-40 is typical for me) - I think some other people were having the same problem.

If you were recording video in this session and would like to help us make a feature video, check th'link in m'sig! Clear Skies footage especially welcome, if you want to prioritise.
Last edited by Dogface on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

thekev506

Post by thekev506 »

Forest Gateau - B2 FTL
Every session I say to myself 'Kev, take a step up and be an FTL more often.' Then I say 'ok, but after this next mission so I can warm up first' and subsequently never do it. Not today!
As the BOF element, bravo tried to find a nice spot in the treeline but started getting shelled before we'd arrived and then took a ton of fire upon arriving. Things being too hot and me taking a bullet convinced me to pull my team back, and squad lead told us to all withdraw pretty soon afterwards. Alpha had an even rougher time of things, and as our original spot was much too hot we folded into Alpha's assault. Well we tried to, but got shelled and shot to bits before we even entered the mortar area. HQ ordered a retreat but the remainder of B1 wanted to charge. I gave my fireteam the option to run away if they wished, then gave my life for the Rodina.

Police Rescue - A2 (probably) AR
Jump in the humvee, drive down the road, super says something like 'I'm going to go disarm this IED' BOOM BANG BANG SHOTS EVERYWHERE MY WHOLE FIRETEAM IS DEAD. Most of the organisational side of things is pretty much kaput at this point, and I can't find a fireteam to fold into, so I just push along with other USMC guys, hunting for the police APC.
Somehow we won, but seriously that ambush was awesome in the old-fashioned sense of the word. Crazy stuff.
DEINE WUNDERSCHÖNEN AUGEN HEAD
-Wolfenswan

WrathzRevenge

Post by WrathzRevenge »

Police Rescue was awesome. Glad I joined the Police xD

The Invisible SPAAG by Issus
"Homer: Wrathz, I order you to find that vehicle, and destroy it with the telekinetic abilities gifted to you by your extreme rage!
Wrathz: I'll try, but we're getting fuckin' destroyed out here!"