How we died
fer

[Sun] 21 November 2010

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Fog (#1/#2/#3)
  • Cacheola (coop)
  • Highway LE (#1/#2/#3/#4)
As ever, thank you to all who came along. We will beat Highway LE one day! :hist101:

fer

Re: [Sun] 21 November 2010

Post by fer »

Fog (#1/#2/#3)

Our first expedition to Chernarus ended in a massacre. Well, three, to be precise. On the first play-through we actually managed to enter the village, locating and destroying one Shilka in the process. However, my fireteam (Charlie) got wiped out by contacts from the north as we were skirting the main road (west-east), and soon Tigershark's Bravo was pinned down. Despite some heroic first-aid work by DeadMeat, they were all WIAs and I had to end the mission. Hilariously, from the spectator mode we watched as several EIs ran literally amongst the members of Bravo, which I think says a lot about the AI! However, even when dialling down the fog on the subsequent play-throughs, it was clear that EI contacts had much the upper hand on this terrain, and that the mission needed to be re-balanced to take into account the issues Chernarus has with cover. I'll see what I can do this week - possibly replacing our Bizons with VSSes?

In summary, we were more :suicide: than :jihad:

Cacheola (coop)

Enjoy those CROWS hummers whilst you can (they're going in the next edit)! And so we did. Taking two of the monsters, we drove off into town, stopping just before the first crossroads on the main north-south road. Learning from MARSOC, I set down some numbered markers to indicate key junctions (intersections), and asked for the following SOP: at each junction, DM/Mort's hummer would set up to cover south, whilst Housemaster/Tigershark's would cover east. The hummers would race up to each junction and begin laying down fire on any contacts - and in the meantime Watooce and myself (the only foot-mobiles) would quickly check out the nearest caches. Rather than creeping around, my plan was to use speed and firepower to our advantage.

It started well, because the first search location yielded a cache. Having forgotten that the satchels were in the other type of hummer, I had to improvise and use an IED from the cache itself to complete the objective, but that went fine. We ploughed on, with the hummers taking the next major junction with ease (mort was in fact getting a little bored for lack of contacts!). Asking DM and mort to dismount temporarily, we now were able to search the next two locations simultaneously - but to no avail. I then ordered a push to the east, but a barricade blocked our path. The hummers managed to find a way around, but as Watooce and I rejoined them, we realised that Housemaster had been killed (his windscreen shot clean out). Watooce mounted up as Tigershark's replacement driver, and I crouched down in the cover of their vehicle to plan our next move. And was shot in the head.

:suicide:

Highway LE (#1/#2/#3/#4)

We're going to beat this one again soon. Just not last night. On the first play-through Tigershark set us all up at the usual positions (about mid-way down the road, in some old bunkers on a ridge to the west). Our timing was good, but even with our rain of RPGs the enemy retained enough firepower (vehicular and human) to wipe us out with his return volley. In fact, within 10 seconds of the first RPGs going in, I was the sole survivor. Obviously I charged the enemy with a salvaged RPK and was cut to shreds!

:hist101:

So, for the next 3 play-throughs we tried something different. Picking a small village on the road to the north, we set up in buildings and rooftops on either side. Our intent was to trap the convoy in the concrete canyon of the village's main strip, thereby restricting the fire-arcs of any APCs that survived the initial RPG volley. I also hoped, in a nod to Grozny, that we'd derpive them of any movement as well. On three play-throughs we tried the same basic plan, with different nuances - an MMG to the south, and MMG to the north, Housemaster in the minuret, Housemaster not in the minuret. We were wiped out each and every time, but on the third run-through we did completely obliterate at least two of the enemy APCs. With a tiny bit more co-ordination, and maybe a handful of extra people, we might just make this ambush site work. I'm certainly up for trying again next Sunday, if others are game!