• Crash Site - Celle
  • South of the River - Celle
Afterparty PTSD Territory
  • Infection - Vietnam
  • CHernOLO SE - Chernarus
  • Chologorsk - Podagorsk
  • CHazarLO - Hazar
  • Outpost Bean - Chernarus
As ever session feedback, mission feedback and tales of knee biting and or goats are always welcome :zoidberg:
ramming speed!

Rook

Re: [Sat] 10 May [V+] (Three Colours Cholo)

Post by Rook »

Random Engagements - MMG

We were dropped into a eerie church toward the north of the island and prepped for BLUFOR attack. I set up facing the north entrance and lined my sights up through the narrow gaps in the graveyard. Just as I considered moving position I head footsteps moving down the other side of the wall behind me. I hastily relayed this to my teammates (who were shortly all taken out by blind grenades) just as smoke was popped at the north entrance, so I suppressed until a stray bullet from the smoke caught me.

Last Flight Out - A2 AR

Saw some contacts north of where we dismounted. They shot me.

Crash Site - A1 FTL

With a plan to paradrop close to the AO (a crashed C130), I and the rest of BLUFOR landed just east of the site. As we landed we heard OPFOR engaging the AI so we double-timed it up to their location. We spied their plane from afar and with plans to destroy it to cut off their escape route. En route we discovered their medic and CO with their backs turned to us, so IceRaiser quietly dispatched them. As I started tossing grenades at their EVAC plane, the rest of BLUFOR moved in and before I could destroy it BLUFOR had won, presumably by wiping out enough of OPFOR.

Good job commanding Miro, I don't think we took any casualties!

South of the River - MEEEDIC

I was the stroppy medic for this venture, and I set about healing gunshot wounds and burns from secondary explosions as we crossed the Celle river and headed southwards. After around 90% casualties I ended up in a bromantic situation with Miro behind a tree as we healed eachother and charged the town. I was subsequently shot by the Russians for my debauchery.

Infection, Vietnam - MARIIIIINE

I was scared so I chose a big gun, don't judge me. I lasted around 3 minutes as I cowered in a jungle hut with stff, until a zombie ran in and we both screamed instead of shooting. Then, for the first time perhaps ever, the survivors won as Dogface lured the FIFTEEN zombies around and around in the jungle for TWENTY MINUTES. A feat unbeknownst to folk-kind. Grats.

gamma_gandalph

Post by gamma_gandalph »

I am really sorry I had to leave suddenly, I hope my AI didn't do anything stupid...

I played only the start of Op Rainbow, but I really like the idea of having civilians in the area. I'd like to see more missions like that, Also I am eager to hear what people thought of Last Flight Out an how it went, as that was the first mission I did for us.

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

gamma_gandalph wrote:I played only the start of Op Rainbow, but I really like the idea of having civilians in the area. I'd like to see more missions like that,
I too enjoyed having civvies running around. It led to the odd "oh shit" moment for Bravo!
I make videos starring you lot. To see yourself live or die just click here

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

On a side note - I've noticed missions are getting quite long now, which I'm cool with if there is variety in the tasks we are to carry out, but it can get a little boring doing clearing.

It also might be worth bearing in mind that there is the odd late comer to the sessions so starting with a brisk mission might be sensible so people aren't waiting in limbo for over an hour for the first mission to finish.

Draakon

Post by Draakon »

Perhaps we should do the reinforcement thing as well, like in A3?

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

A cracking session, I say!

Op Rainbow - A1(?) FTL

A good old fashioned dancemoox-style BAF operation in Aliabad, this saw us hopping into some Foxhounds and a Ridgeback to clear a multicolored panoply of areas, searching for makeshift weapons factories.

I believe Draakon was commanding and we started by moving up to a ridgeline overlooking the first area, with Charlie(?), the engineers and Ridgeback moving to a BOF position a few hundred meters and spraying down covering fire against the insurgents scattered over the rooftops, so us grunts in our fancy Foxhounds could move in.

It was tense and somewhat chaotic as we advanced over areas of open ground into tight, jumbled villages and compounds, and we lasted for quite a while with Mamuto acting as chauffeur and the AT and AAR manning the MG cupolas. After a particularly hairy fight around halfway through the mission those gunners got dead, so me and Mamuto, with our Foxhound, got drafted over to Dancemoox's engineers to help provide support.

The support we provided ended up being rather close as we drove right up to a series of compounds, watching the other troops do all the hard work and building-clearing this time -- we did manage to track down a cache of assault rifles and blow the heck out of it, and I believe the mission was delcared a victory shortly after as it had been a gruelling, though rewarding slog with I think three areas cleared out.

Random Engagements - DEFENDFOR A1(?) FTL

The spot picked for us was a spooooooky graveyard on top of a hill, which besides being goth as fook, also had the advantage of only having two entrances, on opposite corners, as well as a church with a main door that looked directly out of one of the entrances. We all arranged ourselves as we saw fit with Zergra AR and a couple of others hidden amongst some rocks overlooking both entrances, me by the side of the church peeking out at the south entrance, and the other two of my FT inside the church also watching the south entrance.

After a tense wait, Rook was the first to notice the enemy sneaking about around the north entrance. However they could soon be heard tip-toeing along the wall towards the south entrance. Fingers on triggers, suddenly there were explosions everywhere as grenades were thrown and rockets were shot into and out of the south gate. Despite a few close calls I managed to avoid getting blown up, but when the attackers peeked around the corner and I sprayed them with bullets, I apparently hit no-one before getting shot, soon followed by the rest of us.

Last Flight Out - CO

Plonked on an airfield with a old rickety AN2 that was out of fuel, we had to take out an enemy AA radar, and find a fuel truck before returning to take off and escape. I decided to hit the radar first and make a run for the truck afterwards. Piling into a truck and UAZ, we set off towards the large hill that the radar was on... however, before getting to our disignated dismount point, we started getting pinged by angry bullets. Boo for bullets!

Dismounting there, we tried advancing but it quickly got extremely hairy. I therefore had us jump backwards and go for a quick and sneaky endrun way around the side of the hill, the enemy gunshots gradually receding into the distance. Once we were in defilade we turned and started making our way uphill. Cresting, we made short work of the visible targets and started to move in, satchels in hand, only to realise that the place was still salted with sneaky, hiding badmen. As we spread out to deal with them, we also started coming under heavy attack from the north, where we had left the previous enemies behind.

Things started getting mighty chaotic at this point, as Dancemoox charged in and tossed around some timed satchels, just after I'd realised that we'd never make it back to the vehicles we'd abandoned and needed to steal some from around the radar tower. Somehow the timer took long enough that with some screaming and flailing, we all managed to scarper just in time. We pulled up on the east side of camp, but we needed to be on the west side so we could make a run for the fuel truck a click or so away. In the process of trying to do that, the truck I was riding in got blown up, which left us without transport given we'd earlier blown up the other one. However, it made little difference as we were soon overrun and overcome. <:)

Crash Site - BLUFOR pilot

A Crash Site with a twist! Set in Celle, we also had to make use of AN2 biplanes rather than the traditional choppers. What's more, the situation implied a high likelihood of having to land on a highway rather than a proper landing strip. As the pilot, this worried me.

It turned out I needn't have, though, as we opted to paramachute into the AO instead, specifically over a town just to the west of it. I revved the lawnmower-engine as high as it would go and managed to pip us just over safe parachute height, and apparently my team got safely to the ground. Flying over the AO, I saw the enemy plane had landed around the middle of it, and were taking a few potshots at me. Subsequent passes let me notice the downed C-130, which I marked on the map; it was on the other side of the AO from my team, with the enemy in between them.

At this point I started circling around the place trying to find a suitable stretch of road to land on, having limited comms with my team I was unsure if it would be safe to land on the longest stretch of road, which was right next to the C130. In the end though, they wiped out the other team thus saving me the trouble. Hurrah!

South of the River - CO

With two or three FTs plus an MG- and a mortar-IFV, we flew down the road to the bridge, got shot by the men, shot them, crossed, got eyes on the town, got shot at by it, looped around the flank via the trees, mortared the town, moved in on it, and got shot to hell!

Infection - Vietnam - SURVIVOR

Depth of jungle, depth of night. The grey rain made us all mud. Scared men sought each other's voices in the village. The voices became screams when the dead came. Desperate shots failed and stopped. I disappeared into the trees and became the trees.

Moans rose and grew closer. I climbed, waited and used the threadcutter, chk-chk-chk. The dead returned to the ground, and I flew downhill. I'd cross open ground, turn and wait and shoot with the threadcutter, chk-chk-chk. The dead returned to the ground.

I crossed the village, now empty and lethal. I found a peaceful lake and the moon shone sickly on it. I heard the dead approach to meet me, and I turned and sprinted. Two stalked me, and I cut their threads, chk-chk-chk. I climbed and the dead climbed and I ran. Homercleese's corpse taunted me and I span and cut its thread, chk. Homercleese lamented his loss.

The dead groaned everywhere and their voices made a second canopy. The moonlight faded. I ran until my blood ran hot in my throat. The dead surrounded me. I knew where I had to go. The place of death. The village. Sprinting to the center, dead dance trailed my shoulder. I spun, I shot the threadcutter. Chk-chk-chk. The dead all fell, and I won.

Cholo -- I remember peeking over the roof's wall, seeing Dancemoox crouched behind the counter in the supermarket across the street, yelling about cops. Crash, crash - two shotgun blasts shattered around him. I waited, sighted in -- he ran, and the pellets clattered onto the wall around the doorway he ran into and disappeared.

dancemoox

Post by dancemoox »

Pr3sario wrote:On a side note - I've noticed missions are getting quite long now, which I'm cool with if there is variety in the tasks we are to carry out, but it can get a little boring doing clearing.
Keep in mind that was a first run of Op Rainbow on a relatively new terrain with unpredictable civs. I couldn't predict how quickly or slowly objectives would be cleared, a new version will be in the works, and because you only stayed for one mission I'll need to think of more ways to blow you up Pr3.. Did someone say nasty IED traps :zoidberg:
Pr3sario wrote:It also might be worth bearing in mind that there is the odd late comer to the sessions so starting with a brisk mission might be sensible so people aren't waiting in limbo for over an hour for the first mission to finish.
Put simply, turn up on time! Slotting for the first mission kicks off at 8, be on time and make sure everything is working before hand. Don't turn up at 5 minutes past and expect us to still be slotting, sometimes the stars align and everyone gets slotted quickly. You only have yourself to blame if you miss it..
Draakon wrote:Perhaps we should do the reinforcement thing as well, like in A3?
Comrade ACRE has fundamental issues what that idea Draakon.. Plus the missions are not designed with that in mind. Lastly A2 doesn't have the capacity to prevent random AI engagement of reinforcement slots whilst they are unoccupied awaiting reinforcement.
ramming speed!

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

Oh dance I fear you may have missed my point.
dancemoox wrote:Put simply, turn up on time! Slotting for the first mission kicks off at 8, be on time and make sure everything is working before hand.
As someone who is never late for first slotting I agree. My point was: no mission should go on for over an hour - especially the first mission of a session. And lets not forget, there are a lot of people who are not late because they are lazy or unorganised, why should they wait over an hour? Starting with a brisk mission (30 - 40 mins) then having a few longer missions (with more players to enjoy them) mid session would be lovely.
dancemoox wrote:You only have yourself to blame if you miss it..
You know or work, or life, or other commitments.
dancemoox wrote: I couldn't predict how quickly or slowly objectives would be cleared
I don't think we carried out this mission particularly slowly. Certainly in Bravo we cleared our compounds pretty fast.

As soon we spawned in I said to my fire team this was gonna be a long mission given the number of objectives, and it turns out I was right, 1 hr 10 mins in we were only 50% done.

fer

Post by fer »

Pr3sario wrote:And lets not forget, there are a lot of people who are not late because they are lazy or unorganised, why should they wait over an hour?
If comrades are late for a session, that's unfortunate - but it's not necessarily something that should impact those comrades who made it on time and are mid-mission. Neither should session hosts feel under pressure to structure the session run-list around the assumption that comrades will drift in over the first 45 minutes - that only serves to undermine the concept of a session start time.

If, after an hour, the majority of playing comrades are still alive the session host's primary responsibility is to them, even if that means continuing the mission. It's a judgement call for the session host to make, obviously, but late-comers are not 'entitled' to get into the game within an hour.