[Sun] 09 January 2011

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Mail Man
  • Swept LE
  • Cocktails
  • Bend
  • Bedtime
Lovely evening with a nice turnout just into double figures, including once new face (welcome to folk, Chief). Unfortunately, everything was ruined by the unacceptably high levels of competence and organisation displayed by all. If this goes on, comrades, imma have to take away your guns.

:colbert:

fer

Re: [Sun] 09 January 2011

Post by fer »

Mail Man

- Charlie FTL: Mort
|-- AR: Fer
|-- Medic: Watooce

Headspace led with a simple plan: Everybody goes in one chopper; we drop right by the downed C-130, one FT covers (Mort's), one gets the data (Headspace's), and meanwhile the helicopter loiters far above (out of RPG range). When the data's downloaded, we pop smoke, the bird lands, and everyone flies home safely. In the meantime, anything not carrying a weapon made in the free world, dies. And that's exactly how it went down. The only point at which I had any hope of it all ending in a firey death, was when our excellent pilot, TangoWrangler, announced that something was badly wrong with the main rotor, and that we would probably crash on landing. Sadly, we totally made it to the ground safely. Outrageous.

:colbert:

Swept LE

- Bravo FTL: Fer
|-- AR: Chief
|-- AAR: Watooce

Normal service resumed: Mort, our CO, sent the two fireteams forward to positions north and south of the open fields close to the enemy LZ. We were cut to ribbons in fairly short order, and soon only Housemaster and Tango remained, isloated in different spots. And then it got wierd. A bad guy crawled past Housemaster. Housemaster crawled behind him, at a distance of a few feet, shouting 'come back, come back'; then Housemaster (who was a medic) patched the enemy man up, after which they both stood, and Housemaster continued to follow him around, almost within touching distance. Finally, the enemy turned and raised his weapon; Housemaster ventillated the man. Soon after, Tango and Housemaster regrouped, and ninja'd their way down the valley. And it was going great until they walked right up to an enemy squad.

Cocktails

- Alpha FTL: Fer
|-- General Carver
|-- Chief
|-- Watooce

All I can say is that tripods do not make effective support weapons. Generally, it's a better idea if they come with huge guns mounted on them; multi-part weapons are complicated and counter-intuitive things in ArmA2 (when I was making this mission it took me 10 minutes to figure out the whole disassemble/reassemble thing, so I apologise to Watooce for not talking him through it). We regrouped, opened a small gate at the corner of the compound, and crept around the garden in two directions. The (new) plan was to hit each wing of the villa simultaneously, but I don't think Carver and Chief made it. Watooce and I were a little more successful, in that we had crossed the threshold when we were gunned down.

:suicide:

Bend

- MAT G: Fer
|-- MAT AG: AI

CO Igor's plan had the bulk of our fireteams in the rocks and low walls above the pass; our forward scout, on a hill far off to the south-west, was Tango. In the little house just east of the bend's apex our sniper, mort, lay in wait. The lower road itself was sewn with satchels, and I (with my 4 RPGs) was busy making my way to a position south of the upper road. The scene was set for some--

The AI not under anyone's command (which we'd left on for respawns / JIPs), launched a rocket at the convoy.

:commissar:

But actually, it went pretty well after that. Sure, we took some pretty heavy casualties, but we also hit the convoy hard, and within ten minutes all the enemy APCs were burning wrecks. One of my favourite moments was watching Watooce slowly walking towards a crawling enemy on the road; for what seemed like ages, he looked like a kid following a beetle. And then he shot the crawling dude and we ran off to regroup. It was a touch surreal.

On the run north that followed, we shot some people, and at some rabbits. Over the comms I heard Headspace saying: "It's going to get pretty hot out here, little buddy." And then a rabbit scooted past me. You have to wonder what we were packing in our rations, because moments later Housemaster announced he was ditching his weapon, because the end was in sight. He totally regretted that decision when we were all firing wildly into the sky.

:hist101:

Bedtime

If you're going to have a face-to-face fight with a vehicle-mounted heavy machine gun, don't do it with a Skorpion. Trust me on that one, comrades.

:siiigh: