fer

[Sun] 26 June 2011 (yep!)

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Bend
  • Swept (adversarial)
  • Airfix
  • Valley
Comrades, it has to be said that after we massacred the enemy in Bend, and comrade Jefke led the Black Turbans on some tacticOOl bounds in Swept, I was getting worried that the Folk sessions are becoming the hang-out of the competent. So it was with great relief that I watched the helicopters smash into each other and then the mountainside in Airfix, and pure joy as the AI enemy shredded me and just about everyone else a few minutes later. High on this massacre, I selected the non-revive version of Valley, and prepared to watch the platoon cut to ribbons in the mountains.

We cleared the valley and even managed a photo-shoot at the BTR-60.

:argh: :argh: :argh:

Seriously: thank you to all comrades who made it, it was a wonderful session!

DM

Re: [Sun] 26 June 2011 (yep!)

Post by DM »

Screenshots of tonights session up in mah gallery <- click me, starts at the bottom

Choice pics include:

Bigger
The AI cant fly (thankfully they waited until we were all out before doing this, tho we pretty much tempted fate by talking about crashing during the intro cutscene)

Bigger
Bigger (Without gun)
Sunset

Bigger
Smile!

Liqourish

Post by Liqourish »

Time to AAR all up in this:

Bend

For this mission, I led Charlie Team, which, after some connection issues, was reduced to only Head and I. I put down our satchel on the bend, as was ordered by HQ, and we took positions overlooking the bend so we could rain down firey death after the convoy was halted. The MAT team was with us.

We waited and waited, and then the convoy came. One, two, three BTRs passed by my satchel charge, but we were waiting until the mines blew up the first ones. Then, explosions. The convoy halted, with no vehicle over my satchel charge. Damn. Head, an AR, opened fire on the rest of the BTRs, and the crew as the bailed. Many were murdered that day, and the the bullets and rocket kept flying until things slowly starting slowing down. Eventually, it was only a few infantry men who had somehow survived and were occasionally moving around, only to get picked off. We were ordered to take out the remaining vehicles, if we could, just to make them count as kills, so I slowly started making my way towards my undetonated satchel, hoping to recycle it to dispose of a BTR. Then, suddenly:

One of the BTRs began moving. Oh dear. The call came over the comms that we were in fact out of rockets. This mad BTR charged up the hill and started slaughtering people on Charlie's old position. Thankfully, my (barely a) team made it out intact. Then, I did something stupid.

The BTR moved down onto the road in front of me, but hadn't spotted me.

"Oh I'll just pop smoke"

Nope.

[RATATATATA]

After my unfortunate demise, things continued going downhill. The rogue BTR took several hits from rockets and remained alive and kicking, despite missing several wheels, and took down almost all of our platoon, at which point Fer called the mission.

Swept

I was in Bravo squad, led by Mort, under the command of Jefke. We were Opfor, and were to chase down the independents and crush them between us and the blocking force.

Not much to say here, we did some excellent bounding movements, under the command of Jefke, and after advancing a fair bit, the mission ended. Apparently most of the Independents had been slaughtered, except for a couple that escaped in a technical and made it to the escape zone.

Airfix

This was interesting. I was the spotter to Phil's sniper, under the command of Jefke again (I think)

It did not go well. Phil and I made our way towards the airfield, when Phil rounded a corner and was quickly shot dead. Oh dear. After the nearby hostiles were eliminated by another squad, I picked up the sniper rifle and ran over to the assigned location. After I was in position, shit, apparently, went down. I heard a lot of gunfire and explosions, and people yelling about some sort of vehicle (a BMP?)

I started taking potshots at infantry on the airfield below (they had already been alerted) and then suddenly, the mission ended.

Apparently everyone but me and Harlander (I think) had died. Oh.

Valley

This time we were led by comrade Unaco, I was an AAR in a fireteam with Fer, DM, and 2C. We were to take the far right flank, and advanced without much contact or casualties.

That was until I was ordered into a Dishka to give fire support to Bravo (I think), and was promptly shot. D:

After this poking around and taking some screenshots, I respawned as a JIP and flew a huey over towards the valley, although it appeared that the fight was over. There was an awkward bit where I couldn't tell that I was trying to land on a 60 degree hill, due to the first person view, and the helicopter slid away after we made contact with the ground.

We ran through the valley for photos and explosions.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Bend

I was the RPG gunner in Bravo Squad, taking position on the ridge and waiting for the convoy. After the initial satchel-onslaught i fired my three rockets on the BTRs (all to effect i might add) and then inquired to satchel the abandoned lead BTR, which resulted in a bullet in the head by a crewman that had been hiding in the ridge's blind angle.

With no small amount of glee I then watched the rest of the platoon being slaughtered by a surviving and apparently zombified BTR.

Swept

Leading Alpha Squad this time, we were the first squad to engage the blocking force and to occupy the enemy long enough so the rest of the insurgents could flank and make their way to our safe haven. So much for the theory.

In practice both me and command were shot within minutes of the mission by the slightly superior blocking force (the apparent lack of cover didn't help). The rest of the team didn't fare better but Grizzly and Anthile managed to hijack a technical and drive to the escape zone.

This mission certainly has potential as an adversarial but it need's fine-tuning. Either could the blocking force be severely weakened, the ratio of opfor vs. insurgents be changed to the latter's favour or it should be made clear that the insurgents can or should hold against the heliborne forces. Swapping the sides (insurgents are pushing, OPFOR are blocking) could work, too.

Airfix

Poetry in motion.

Valley Sweep

I really really like this mission due to setting and location but can see it getting old quite fast because of it's limitations. An adversarial on this map could be interesting but only if both teams are moving; maybe place a common goal in the rough center of the valley, surrounded by AI insurgents and BLUFOR/OPFOR are pushing from west and east respectively, whoever get's there first wins or has to hold it for a set amount of time to win.

Jefke

Post by Jefke »

Our comms found this taperecording, while investigating the death of commander Jefke

Recording starts playing
-----

To my wife Caro, the war in takistan is going well, some stories that you can read to the kids:

Also i got this confusing note about a guy named xiathorn that was moving in??
He better be payin rent!

whell the stories :

Bend

i missed the beginning, but Jipped in. Saw this BRDM or was it a BTR come rushing in. I was running towards it when i realized: "Hey, i only got an ak, what the hell are you thinking Jefke this is no shilka you can hug. So i ran towards some dead enemies and found myself a nice RPG. I took aim, shot it KABLAMO. Here i was getting out my pum pums and started cheering. When in fact this monster aimed at me and started shooting. Shredding me to a billion pieces. An undead BRDM/BTR had rissen.

Swept

I slotted as commander for Opfor, knowing the bureau of ferawesomnes would give me some awesome soldiers. Realising from my tv education of holywoodness. I rememberd this brafe leader called "godfather" from Generation Kill. His words were "We are very much in the game, 3 words: TEMPO, TEMPO, TEMPO". So I came up with a great plan, go south, keep movin', use the woods as cover and keep movin! Dont get bogged down. This was performed brilliantly. Unfortunately our brothers "the fat blocking force" had killed most of our targets :(. Oh well, there would be an other mission where i could show my great leadershepness.

->
Airfix

This would be my big greatest victory!

:hist101: After some leg rubbing with Phil. We landed, while i was commin up with a plan, there were some miscommunications with the choppers, and apparently the choppers only had learned from the great book "pilotting for dummies". resulting in a big fireworks. :siiigh:

Somehow this alerted the enemy, so i placed my special forces on the ridge, while i would flank around to the east to assault the airbase from the village. We never made it that far :(

this sums it up --> :suicide:

The bureau demoted me and i became a FTL in the next mission.

Valley

Leading the most feared FT "THE BRAVOoooo's" we swepped the northern side of the valley, spotting targets, enaging and killing. the entire squad was a mean lean (ok maybe not that lean, but i'm not FAT) Machine. i lost a few good men :( but they died a glorious death for the motherland.

we nailed this mission! "hears some banging on the door, OPEN UP!, oh its Fer!

Fer: Jefke you were one of the survivors in the valley?
Jef: Sure was, we did awesome!!
Fer: I see
Jef: :confused:
Fer: :colbert:
Jef: :confused:
Fer: takes out a gun, starts aiming
Jef: But Fer :(

Fer: :commissar:

then the tape cut out :(

car00ke

Post by car00ke »

Oh great Fer!!
Who's gonna take care of me and the kids now :(
Please don't say Xia, or I'll shoot you!

Car00ke

Joseph-Sulphur

Post by Joseph-Sulphur »

Unfortunately I couldn't make it last night, I had an exam on Monday morning. What exactly is Airfix?

fer

[Sun] 26 June 2011 (yep!)

Post by fer »

Comrade Wolfenswan, it's a fair criticism (that Valley has limited scope for being replayed). To be honest, when writing missions I try not to spend too much time building in re-playability because it's actually better to play one a few times, then get inspired to make something new or adapted. For example, Bend is a remake of Highway, made after comrade TangoWrangler suggested tweaks and a change of location. I really like your idea of a meeting engagement in the valley, with or without AI in the mix. I have limited time to edit, but will try to see what can be done. Alternatively, I can send you the source folder and you can remake it. What do you think?

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

I have limited time to edit, but will try to see what can be done. Alternatively, I can send you the source folder and you can remake it. What do you think?
I've been trying to get into Arma 2 Editing but didn't really have the time at hand. Though with exams soon being done with i might just dive into it again.