[Sun] 28 August 2011

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Village Clearance
  • Internecine
  • Rural Ural LE
  • Mail Man
  • Babysitters
Epic session, comrades, epic. Despite being the height of summer, we maintained an excellent turnout of around 20. More impressive still, the leadership and general performance in the larger coops was really excellent. We're now in danger of being effective. Which is, of course, absolutely unacceptable. Stay unacceptable, comrades. AAR write-up and some images to follow ...

:clint:

Bodge

Re: [Sun] 28 August 2011

Post by Bodge »

Really well done to everyone under my command and jolly good commanding to those who took a lead in the other missions, was jolly good.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/bodge/scre ... tab=public

http://steamcommunity.com/id/bodge/screenshots/?tab=all

fer

Re: [Sun] 28 August 2011

Post by fer »

Village Clearance

- CO: Bodge

- Charlie FTL: Draakon
|-- Player of Games (?)
|-- Mixmaster (?)
|-- Fer

This mission is deceptively hard: the plan is always simple, our execution usually less so. Most commanders' plans involve a straight platoon sweep up the road, engaging the enemy tank at the junction, and - assuming enough people survive - a second sweep of the upper village. If all fireteams can maintain formation, and individual players patience, the mission is not hard. Fail to meet either of those criteria and the mission will punish you horribly.

Tonight, CO Bodge ran the platoon very effectively, and for most of the mission fireteams maintained formation really well. In Charlie, my mission began with a handful of engagements against enemy patrols in open ground. Co-ordinating with nearest fireteam Bravo, our FTL Draakon directed fire and helped to ensure that whenever we opened up on the EI the firefights were one-way and short. Very soon we were entering the first cluster of dwellings in the village, and immediately Draakon had us clearing each enterable structure.

Methodically, rather than slowly, we advanced up the road, clearing structures on the right as we went; always keeping on-line with our sister fireteams. The enemy tank was destroyed long before we reached the junction, we moved together between the structures using inter and intra-fireteam bounds. It was going very well indeed, but as we neared the junction (Charlie was the right-flank element), I noticed movement at my 2'o'clock, danger close. In the hilly micro-terrain behind the roadside buildings, a small patrol had got the bounce on us. It's lucky AI rarely use hand-grenades, or we might have been finished. As it was, I exchanged fire with an enemy and was incapacitated.

Smoke shrouded me as I 'woke up'; I crawled as fast as possible back towards my fireteam and a waiting medic. By the time I was patched, the immediate threat was over, and the platoon had even acquired a technical. Reformed, the platoon struck off, past the still-burning wreck of the enemy tank. Immediately we were engaged at danger-close range, comrades going fully-automatic as EI sprinted towards us amongst the scrub and rocks. We prevailed and pushed on, Charlie now swapped to the left-flank element.

After some excitement helping the gunner of our captured technical, I found myself being ordered to clear a 3-storey house. On an upper storey balcony we set up what would be our last firing position of the mission. From our lofty perch we spied and engaged a final enemy foot patrol. Again, the firefight was one-way and short. Then comrade Tigershark returned from the dead [channel] to say: Mission accomplished!

Great overall commanding by comrade Bodge, and kudos to comrade Draakon for some tight FTLing.

:clint:

Internecine

- CO (OPFOR, attacking): Unaco
- Charlie FTL: Fer (1-man fireteam)

Simple plan, simpleton Charlie FTL, eh? Comrade Unaco split the two main fireteams so we would attack the village from North and South-West. Comrade Unaco drove me to the northern drop-off point in the shiny blue minibus. Comrade Unaco even forgave me when I got out of the minibus, and whilst attempting to ask him a question, riddled his body full of bullets with a fully-automatic ND of my AK.

:fry:

Comrade Unaco was patched up, and even gave me permission to 'run interference' with the blue minibus. I drove to the road leading into the village and attempted to replicate the actions of some Libyan rebels I'd seen on AJE a few months ago: I ran up the bank, squirted off half a magazine on full auto, then ran back to the ditch/road. This I did several times, before getting all brave and advancing up the road. I even managed to suppress someone in an upper-storey doorway for a bit. Man, I was on a roll, so I--

:commissar: