How we died
fer

[Sun] 09 October 2011

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Jailbreak
  • Fuel Raid
  • Reach Zone (abandoned, bugged)
  • Highway to Jahannam (abandoned, bugged)
  • Strife Valley LE
Thank you to all the comrades who came along tonight. We had a pretty good turnout again, and the session ran comfortably over the official 2 hours. I'll post my own AAR shortly, but I wanted to make two quick points immediately:
  • Firstly, thank you to comrades Bodge and Wolfenswan for working hard to get 5 new missions ready this week; Folk sessions depend on people, the attitude they bring, and the missions we play. Mission making is a time-consuming process, so I'm very grateful to anyone who takes the time to write new missions for our sessions, using the Folk platoon and approach to briefings. I suspect I'm not alone in feeling that gratitude.
  • Secondly, a big thank you to the non-mission makers for sticking around when things didn't go to plan with two of our missions tonight. It says an awful lot about the comrades that we took the bugs in Reach Zone and Highway to Jahannam in our stride, and everybody stuck around to play Strife Valley LE. Even more kudos to those comrades who stuck around after the session to help debug Reach Zone.
Lastly, congratulations to everyone who participated in the glorious charge at the end of Strife Valley LE. Halfway across no-man's land I took a round to the head, but it was still superb to see our platoon as a long line of sprinting figures. I immediately thought of this:

:v:

Bodge

Re: [Sun] 09 October 2011

Post by Bodge »

Cross posted

Was fun times tonight, apologies for issues with the mission but I will work on a fix when I have the time. I hope Wolf gets his sorted as it was fun times in testing.

I do have a public service announcement of sorts. I am glad that we can turn up to folk nights in such numbers and get some large scale missions going. Especially as for the most part we can have a laugh while doing it, lord knows i am rarely serious. The only thing is it has recently seemed like we have been gatecrashing some elses party to a certain extent. It is Folk's house and we need to make sure we go by their rules and structure.

The banter is great and is a sign of people having a good time but on the map screen and slotting screen it is really only Hosts, mission makers and the commander that should be talking so they can explain their plans to all. If you know the answer to a question, assume that someone else does too before you reply. Some chat has also been bordering on rude towards members, whether it was in jest or not it is hard to tell but lets be clear, chat that is impolite towards others is not cool.

Fer mentioned "... Folk sessions depend on people, the attitude they bring, and the missions we play. ..." and if we could try to keep that in mind it might help things stay running smoothly. It is not a massive thing and might just be me being tired and grumpy, but I would appreciate people having a think about it. Feel free to message me about it.

fer

Post by fer »

Jailbreak

Bravo FTL: Grizzly
|-- AR: Fer

Comrade Ansob is a traitor. I just want to put that out there.

Anyway, comrade Ansob's plan for the 'rescuing' forces was to send each team to separate parts of the frontline and see who could breach first (the plan being that the successful team would then outflank whatever forces were blocking the unsuccessful team). Bravo, in the Stryker, was sent up the eastern road from the fuel station in the desert to the south-east. Alpha, with it's Bradley, was to go up the centre.

Near the frontline, our gunner spotted infantry contacts ahead and we dismounted. Slowly, we advanced up the road, relying mostly on the M2 of our Stryker to eliminate targets up ahead. It wasn't always easy (as an infantryman) to understand what we faced, but the progress was good up to the actual frontline, where we spotted a stationary BTR-60. Our SMAW-gunner came up to the point position (where I was at) and hit the enemy IFV with his first shot. It cooked-up instantly, and Grizzly ordered us forward to that position. We were doing well, and then--

One, then a second RPG came screaming over head from further up the road, and at least one hit the Stryker. Frantically we pushed up to get as many guns forward as possible. I don't know what we faced precisely, only that as I scrambled to get my SAW into a good firing position I took a round to the face. Instant death.

:suicide:

Fuel Raid

OPFOR CO: Fer
|-- Medic: Cat

I really like this mission, but I'm going to suggest that we add a one-time group teleport feature to the OPFOR side, so that the attack can begin within 5 minutes of the mission start. Apologies to the defenders, who had to wait around for quite some time whilst we got into position.

My plan was very simple: our two firteams would move together through the open countryside and infiltrate the two car graveyards to the north of the fuel station. For the assault, one fireteam would suppress the buildings as the other moved to take them. This is the great thing about human opposition - it cowers under fire where AI will stand its ground (literally) and keep firing back. So, with Alpha (Draakon) on my left and Bravo (AstuteCat) to my right, we set off on a long-ish journey across the map, moving in an arc that eventually brought us into the target graveyards.

Bravo was the first to get eyes on the buildings, so I ordered them to begin firing on windows and likely hiding places - but not too fast, because ammo is at a premium (though I asked them to toss a grenade or two for good measure). Alpha moved up and was about ready to assault when Bravo started taking fire from the rear. Hastily, I ordered everyone to move towards a little patch of elevated ground by the junction of the northern and main (east-west) road. I took a round and had to be patched up, but the troops rallied and soon Alpha was vigorously suppressing the big building whilst Bravo crossed into it. Not long after we were all in or around the building, and the mission was essentially won.

:jihad:

Reach Zone (abandoned, broken)

Not everyone had a parachute. The problem was, they only discovered it after stepping out of a C-130 at 6,000m. As some wag observed over TS3, these military spending cuts are brutal. Apologies, but we'll get this fixed.

Highway to Jahannam (abandoned, broken)

Comrade Mort created a splendid convoy which drove down the road until it encountered a humble roadblock featuring a tractor and some angry locals. We were massacred, but then - strangely - comrade Mort (who survived) was surrounded by enemies that seemed very reluctant to shoot him. Clearly suffering from shock, comrade Mort acted as if they were friendlies, ordering them to get into vehicles and himself mounting up as if ready to leave the scene. From death I noticed that this scene was very wrong, and stopped the mission. Comrade Wolfenswan will doubtless fix the mission, but I don't know what our psychiatric doctors will be able to do for comrade Mort.

Strife Valley LE

DC: Fer
|-- Medic: AstuteCat

Comrade Wolfenswan's plan put Alpha and Bravo in the vanguard, with Charlie acting as rapid with two mobile gun platforms, and our support elements (MAT and MMG) up on the high ground to our north. Together, we would sweep across the valley from west to east, before turning and engaging the final target area. And that's exactly how it played out.

We took the first target, the artillery, with some losses to our infantry fireteams; but satchels were duly set and the grads burned. After regrouping and dealing with some incoming enemy technicals, we pushed on eastward: Alpha/Bravo once more at the fore whilst our surviving gun truck advanced up the road, pounding the buildings near the radar station. Again, it was no cakewalk, but agression and pressure won out and soon we had destroyed the second objective. Lastly, we wheeled south and lined up as a platoon. And charged.

Not everyone made it (I took a round to the head shortly after exorting people to stop firing and keep running); but enough did. Victory to close off the session.

:hist101:

fer

[Sun] 09 October 2011

Post by fer »

To pick up on comrade Bodge's post:

Overall I think the Folk sessions are running really smoothly, and I am very grateful to all the comrades who come along; but it was getting a little bit ragged in some areas last night, so let's address them early:

1. The CO plans, comrades di--, er, follow.
When the CO lays out the plan, please wait until the 'any questions?' moment to pipe up. We don't plan by committee in the Folk sessions, and if you think you have a better plan or tactic please save it for next time (because everyone is invited to take CO). COs can help by only asking for feedback or advice on specific issues - not the overall plan. If the plan is really, really silly or it appears the CO has his/her map upside down, the hosts will step in. With a Makarov.

:commissar:

2. Mission briefings should be concise.
Folk briefings have a structure, and you should aim to write a single sentence under each sub-heading. If you really want to include a backstory please put it in a separate tab. Remember: the CO needs to be able to read the briefing in a minute. If you want help editing a briefing please ping me and I'll do my best to help.

3. Don't monopolise the cool slots
If you were in a cool slot (crew, pilot, man-slave) one mission, please be a grunt or - better - an element leader in other missions. We need to mix things up and let our newer comrades have the chance to die screaming in agony as the BMP they're trapped in cooks-up.

Above all, whilst nothing is broken with the sessions, these are the things that can start to spoil it for others if we let them slide. As ever, if you have any concerns or want to report Ansob, please talk to a host (comrades Tigershark, Bodge and myself are probably best for this topic area).

mort

Post by mort »

fer wrote:d over TS3, these military spending cuts are brutal. Apologies, but we'll get this fixed.

Highway to Jahannam (abandoned, broken)

Comrade Mort created a splendid convoy which drove down the road until it encountered a humble roadblock featuring a tractor and some angry locals. We were massacred, but then - strangely - comrade Mort (who survived) was surrounded by enemies that seemed very reluctant to shoot him. Clearly suffering from shock, comrade Mort acted as if they were friendlies, ordering them to get into vehicles and himself mounting up as if ready to leave the scene. From death I noticed that this scene was very wrong, and stopped the mission. Comrade Wolfenswan will doubtless fix the mission, but I don't know what our psychiatric doctors will be able to do for comrade Mort.

:hist101:
I enjoyed the session and I'd quite like to have another crack at leading that one again if the mission is edited a bit. I have been thinking of how we might approach it.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Cross post.
An excellent session, thanks to all comrades/lab rats involved.

Jailbreak

I was POW lead and we waited for the MIAs to bust us out. They did so by stealing a BTR-40 and super silently knocking a wall down next to us. Though then we decided to shoot the guards anyway, so our disguised friends stood close to our jailors pointing rifles to their unsuspecting heads. A bit of pewpew and getaway driving later we checked in at the villa until a dhskm interrupted our short lived holiday. Said dhskm shot me in the head from point blank when i tried to sneak up on it and i watched the rest of the mission (read: MIAs ride to death) from birdseye view.

Fuel raid

The first half of the mission was spent in rather unspectular fashion, sneaking towards the NE car graveyard. As the first bullets changed owners i ninjaed it towards the main building, snuk around and shot two people through a small window-slit. A lucky grenade downed me but comrade Slyboots got me going again and the mission ended shortly afterwards.

RE: Improving the mission.
A teleport would be one idea (probably adding a big circle around the fuel station circle mark the area OPFOR are not allowed to port into) though I'd prefer to encourage use of the vehicles. Thanks to the fog the defenders can only see so far and hearing a distant motor wouldn't be a dead giveaway (it could just be one guy after all). I'll probably add a few lines to the briefing stressing the usefullness of the convoy remnants/car graveyards as cover. And i'll reduce some of the fires/mass graves as they seem to hamper perfomance for some.

Reach Zone

splat.

Highway to Jahannam

I'm a bit disapointed of you guys. I put some effort into creating a controversial and intelligent mission putting you against "enemies" that aren't actually shooting on you, encouraging the players to sit down and have a talk about moral obligations and the ethical implications of that and you go ahead and call that "broken". Old dogs new tricks etc.

In seriousness: I'm the idiot that despite all double checking forgot to change that "Independent are friendly to: Opfor" back to "none" after a last testing run. :v:

RE: FPS issues - I'll do some changes to the mission to reduce lag as best as i can but i'm afraid I can only do so much as this is Chernarus and the mission needs grass enabled for AI ambushes.

Try the texture improvement addon linked in my addons post a few pages back (maybe you could link that post in the OP Null?).

Strife Valley LE

Good job everyone involved. If anyone wonders why my commanding seems to be married to success: The secret incredience is fear love and a healthy dose of "let them figure out the detailed shit themselves when they get there". Kudos to Tigershark and Fer for neatless swaps of command where needed and excellent work by MMG-Mort in keeping supression up. And MAT: next time you got a clear shot but only a short window to take it then by all means go ahead. No one's gonna cry if you take out an enemy technical without doing the proper 12 pages of signed and copied paperwork before. No harm done though and you redeemed yourself by underlying our glorious charge with exploding a building.

Speaking of which: next time i start running and turn around to see everyone waiting and staring at me i'm going to start shooting those cowards. :commissar: