[Sun] 25 March 2012 (IE *BOOOOM* with LDDK & CiA)

How we died
fer

[Sun] 25 March 2012 (IE *BOOOOM* with LDDK & CiA)

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Greenola (LDDK attacks)
  • Greenola (Folk/ARPS/CiA attacks)
  • Finale SE (the after-party)
Being murderised in the dark by the Finns remains one of my favourite ways to play ArmA, so I have to thank our comrades from LDDK and CiA for another wonderful evening of large-scale confusion and frantic shooting with around 55 guests. Special thanks to comrades Spinoza (LDDK) and Variable (CiA) for helping to organise the event, and to everyone from the LDDK, CiA, ARPS and Folk communities who participated.

:v:

On the Folk/ARPS/CiA side, two special mentions:
  • Comrade Unaco - for preparing a plan earlier in the week that led to our narrow victory over LDDK in the first mission.
  • Comrade Bubba (CiA) - for his heroic destruction of the cache at the Mosque of Death[tm].
A warm welcome, too, to our new guests (including comrade Rawdog, who gracefully accepted the challenge of being CO in Finale SE during the brief after-party). As ever, it was a pleasure to see everyone from all the communities in the session. I hope you enjoyed it and look forward to the next one. Please share any thoughts, feedback, videos or images in this thread.

Unaco

Re: [Sun] 25 March 2012 (IE *BOOOOM* with LDDK & CiA)

Post by Unaco »

For those interested, here is the plan that was sent out to those who had expressed an interest in Leadership roles. I'll post an AAR from the CO's perspective tomorrow evening most likely.

OK. Here is the basic and general plan for ARPS/FOLK/CiA in defense of Rasman in Greenola, versus the LDDK infidels. This is not going to be exhaustive... this is just going to be enough so those who have volunteered for, or are likely to assume, command roles (Element and Fire Team Leads) know how we're going to be organised, and the general plan(s). I'll give a more comprehensive plan when we know what our numbers are going to be and how many mens, what assets we'll have, etc... and that plan will likely change depending on how LDDK decide to play it.

Basic organisation will be...

High Command Element
CO = Unaco
DC =

Able Element - The Northern Horde
Able Element Lead (Alpha FTL) = Wolfenswan
Bravo FTL = Joe (?)
Charlie FTL =

Dog Element - The Southron Troupe
Dog Element Lead (Delta FTL) = Draakon
Echo FTL = Mr Weed
Foxtrot FTL = Toppo (?)

Hit & Run Squads - Damnatio ad Bestias
HR 1 FTL = Head(?)
HR 2 FTL =

Support Elements
Sniper
MMG

Basically then, we'll have Able and Dog elements, each made up of 3 Fireteams, with 1 H&R Fireteam, and some other support elements (subject to my whims and our numbers). Each Element will have responsibility for the North (Able) or South (Dog) sections of the Operation Area (see fig 1).

http://i.imgur.com/a1R2j.jpg
Fig 1. Basic Initial Positions for Plan A.

This Plan (Plan A) will assume that the enemy will land to the North and South, and come into the City from those two directions, and that we get a layout for the caches with 1 North, 1 Central and 1 South. Should this change, or not turn out as we hoped, the plan will be modified but the basic structure will stay the same - We'll still split into 2 Elements and the plan for engagements will still be the same or similar.

What I want from each Element is this... Each Element will have 3 Fireteams and 1 H&R squad (if our numbers pan out). I want the Hit&Run squads to function largely autonomously, ahead of the main Element, harrying the enemy. By harrying, I mean working alone or in pairs, setting up very short engagements... Shooting 1 burst, not bothering to check if you hit/kill, and then pulling out. Use interesting tactics... Fire from a window 200 meters away then disappear, plant an IED in a building then leave it on a timer or set it off as they pass it... and scare them. Hold them up and occupy them, get in or behind their lines and cause a nuisance. Hit&Run squads should be aware, however, that they are 99% expendable. No help will be coming to them, no medics, no support. They'll be on their own.

This will initially give us time if we need to reorganise in a major fashion, and also give us time for the rest of the Element to do their thing. I want the main elements to work largely together, with an escalating engagement pattern. See fig 2 for a general idea of where and how I want that pattern to occur. This is entirely general, and it'll be up to the Element lead to get specifics... don't take the positions as gospel, they are just a suggestion. And this pattern/structure applies to Dog Element aswell, just rotated.

http://i.imgur.com/1gFMY.jpg
Figure 2. Hit & Run operating in the Red Area, Main Element in Black.

So... H&R element operating in advance of the main element. Then, I want the main Element to begin engaging (around the L1 area, or further North perhaps), sporadically and quickly, with Fireteams working autonomously at first. Again, I want very short, very quick engagements (15- 30 seconds), before pulling back to safety. Try to keep all of us alive, at least at first. Then, as LDDK advance into the area, and the Main Elements pull back, I want them to start working more together, under the Element lead, bringing more guns into the engagements, and start ramping them up (60 seconds). Try using the Fireteams together... pin with one, flank with another that sort of thing. But always remembering to pull back before they can get coordinated and get multiple bullets flying in your direction. As this continues, build up the engagements, but still hit them and fall back. You don't need to fall back far, just out of their sight, back 1 wall or 1 street or 1 compound. Just so they start advancing again, only to get engaged 10 meters down the road.

As LDDK advance, and our Elements fall back, I'll eventually make the decision to abandon the North and South for Elements to withdraw, and group together in the central area, for the final defensive actions. Although that plan will likely be done on the fly, or closer to the time.

Again, this plan is assuming LDDK will come from those two directions... If they don't and they come from only 1 direction, we'll keep the A & D Elements, and the engagement plan, but the two elements will work in parallel (in the East/West sections of that Northern area in Fig 2 for example). We should be OK with this structure and plan, as long as LDDK choose the North and/or South of the area to begin the engagement. Problems will likely come if they land to the East and make a push into the centre... although, if they do that Able Element will rotate 180 degrees to protect the North from the South and vice versa for Dog.

Capernatious

Post by Capernatious »

I was part of the Charlie hit & run squad, but we did more hide & relax in a building until we got ambushed. Those Finns are scary!
Head ordered us to relocate to another building, but it turned out to be a small hut, where I got pinned down. Then Head got shot.
We received the order to retreat just as Bushcat caught a face full of lead, after which his killer casually leaned around the corner of my hut and somehow evaded my RPK fire and shot me.

The attacking mission... Well. Charlie squad was two down fairly early in the mission because those Finns just came from everywhere. Head and myself just sprinted from one cache location to the next until a sniper got us. We tried our best!

In Finale SE we had the pleasure of being lead by the new blood Rawdog. There was a bit of a situation in the TS3 channel involving a specific term that shouldn't be mentioned but rhymes with 'nation'. People got kicked, went to play APB Reloaded (traitors, you know who you are) and Egg walked the fine line by mentioning said word a couple more times. He ended up commanding Fer and myself, and I had a lot of fun listening to their arguing. I was machinegunner on a roof (you can guess how that ended) and pew pew'd at the oncoming tanks, but we could not stem the tide.
We will finish Finale! It's just a matter of time. :v:

Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

MBT squad AAR

Round 1.
MBT squad was stripped from their tank and forced to fight as infantry. We were tasked to clear the eastern hills from enemies and creating a safe zone for the machine gun and sniper teams. We spotted few enemies at the target zone and the machine gun drove them away, running for their lives.

After securing the hills we pushed northwards to about halfway of the target area. I spotted movement in the compound under the hills and opened fire. After confirming a hit inside the house I took Spinoza with me and we stormed the compound killing total of 3 enemies receiving no casualties.

At this point it came apparent that there were no reinforcements coming from south and we pushed towards north searching for enemies. Our building hopping advanced us towards the last enemy stronghold without opposition. I spotted enemy soldier laying on the ground near the target and opened fire from a doorway killing the enemy but was wounded by another soldier. Rest of my squad came to rescue us and I was cured but before getting up killed by enemy fire coming from around us.

notes:
Not knowing the exact rules about timelimit we hurried at the end too fast and this resulted our deaths. Being allowed to move at the same speed as before would have most likely resulted in more enemy casualties.

2. round
We were tasked to defend the two southern boxes with the machine gun crew. I set up the defensive positions and we set up a perimeter with the IED`S and started to wait for the enemy to come. Our perimeter defence around the village however dealt with most of the enemies resulting us to kill 3 enemies around the targets. The round ended with the enemy surrendering.
--------------
Luutnantti Psykoisi - MBT squad leader
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAe8cIZyc2s

CHKilroy

Post by CHKilroy »

LDDK tries to steal a helicopter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izrobypqh8c
Appologies if I come off a little rude and know-it-all-y with regards to the sniper team, in my eye, investigating contacts all close and personal is not something a sniper team should be doing, especially alone.

Bubba from [CIA] accidentally destroys a minaret when blowing an ammo cache, unknowingly killing one of the men who killed all his friends: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgvxdynUsdw

Had a good time at the session, thanks for having me