fer

[Sun] 30 Sep 2012 (Joint session: CiA)

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Arrival SE
  • Feruzablues
  • Internecine II
  • Cholo
Another classic joint session with our old friends, CiA, saw a combined player-count that peaked beyond 50 play through the epic coops Arrival SE and Feruzablues (in a dangerously effective manner), before getting down to the business of killing each other in the adversarials Internecine II and Cholo (the latter being a strangely silent affair for a mission in which drug-crazed gang-bangers assault a police station, but perhaps it was just because comrade IceRaiser was away; in rehab).

Huge thank you to everyone who came along tonight, especially our guests from CiA, and special mention to comrade Variable for being our organisational contact at CiA. It's always been superb fighting alongside you guys, and I hope we'll get to do this again very soon.

Please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here (PM me for details of Folk YouTube channel). It's really helpful to the hosts to have as much feedback, recollections and media as possible. Thank you.

:v:

Wilson

Re: [Sun] 30 Sep 2012 (Joint session: CiA)

Post by Wilson »

Enjoyed my first session playing with you guys tonight. Thanks for having me and I am sure to return. Looking forward to playing some more PvP missions, didn't do too well in either tonight lol.

Bodge

Post by Bodge »

Arrival SE
Position - CO
The first stage of the plan was for all squads to Secure their corner of the airfield and eliminate any hostile contacts. Charlie were then to move off and clear Loy Manara with Alpha covering their initial advance before moving SE to clear Jaza. The AH64 at our disposal was to assist Bravo in their rear guard defense and responding to CAS missions.

This is effectively as it happened, the chopper strayed a bit too far North and was crippled by HMG fire but was still able to use it's turret to lay down fire from the hill where it resided. Bravo were under constant engagement and took a few casualties including SL. Charlie's push was slowed by trouble with comms and Alpha was assaulted from Jaza so was unable to provide a base of fire.

Charlie moved off onto the ridge West of town and reconned the settlement before moving and securing it. Alpha swept the Western half of Jaza and Bravo was pulled back to the main airfield compound to secure the Southern end of Loy Manara. I then DC'd *Over to Carson!*

Feruzablues
Position - Charlie Medic
I followed the guys from charlie around, took out a couple of technical gunners and healed a few dudes. Charlie were quietly effective here, sweeping over the hill without losing anyone before moving up the hill North of Feruz abad. Up on the hill we spotted a few enemy infantry patrolling around and they were disposed of quickly and the mine was secured by other elements. Suddenly our rock formation came under heavy fire taking down CSL and another infantry man. I healed up one man only needing Misha to return the favor before the mission was completed.

Internecine II
Position - Bravo FTL
We went on a jolly little drive before pushing towards the target from the East. It was not long before we spotted movement ahead of us on the first ridge and we moved forwards cautiously. Alpha took down one hostile on our Southern flank so we pushed down and overlapped them as the Southern most fireteam. We moved to the stone walls that lead to town before we had contact close. Ice took a round and was wounded (by Wolf :D) I pushed forwards and saw a prone infantry man and took him out before pushing closer towards the village. We had more contact North of us in the buildings but some rounds their way saw us safe to town, shortly we could hear the enemy within a tall building and I moved into clear it. The ground floor was clear, up the stairs however there was a medical procedure underway, these backstreet surgeries can be massively hazardous so with the interests of all involved in mind i unloaded into them. One managed to hit me with a round while wounded but I was quickly back in the land of the living. Unfortunately my legs were not, I turned towards a doorway as i couldn't make it anywhere else and wounded myself on something and then promptly got shot properly.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Arrival
Deployed as Alpha Squad Leader
Fresh off of refresher training under Comrade Tigershark, I seized the reins of Alpha Squad, tasked with helping Charlie into Loy Manera proper. Command was unspecific as to how, and I had significant trouble hearing anyone - it seems that my TeamSpeak was all mucked up by either the ACRE installation or something else to do with the unavoidable terribleness that is SixUpdater. A quick re-balancing of audio levels in Windows set everything right though.

Alpha's feet hit the ground, and we dashed north to the airfield's building complex. Suspiciously devoid of people, it was not at all devoid of bullets, as tracers flew in from Loy Manera and from Western Jaza to the southeast. Incredibly, no one in Alpha was hit by the incoming rounds even as angry Takistanis emerged from the woodwork all across our eastern arc. Our luck very quickly ran out, however, as Alpha 3 parked their SOV humvee in the middle of the runway and ate a tank-shell to the engine block. Tigershark dashed out under a hail of gunfire only to find most of them to be roasty-roasty critters.

As Special Needs Charlie Squad milled about at the airfield entrance for some ten minutes or more, Alpha (with assistance from Waffly's chain-gun) fended off an assault or two by eager, but untrained Takistanis charging across the flat open plains to our southeast. We then advanced to a nice commanding hill south of Loy Manara, where we discovered much to our perplexity that the town was virtually abandoned. Our M240 team engaged some more foot mobiles to our south, only to watch as Waffly erased them from the map.

At this point, Charlie had already positioned itself to cover its own assault into Loy Manara, so Alpha was re-tasked with clearing Western Jaza. Over the course of the next ten minutes, we cleared the town with no contact, then discovered an enemy patrol on the far side of Jaza Hill. They died in what was likely the most effective hail of fire ever committed in Folk history, and we swept across to Eastern Jaza to find it completely clear as well. We chased ghosts for another five minutes before the mission was called as I ordered the entire platoon to converge on some apparently non-existent Takistanis.

I love the smell of Folk sessions in the evening... smells like... Competence? :psyboom:

No seriously, competence.

Feruzablues
Deployed as Alpha 2 Fire Team Leader
Ah, this feels more like it.

We landed north of Feruz-Abad, and were immediately set upon by several roving bands of Takistani militia. As our Blackhawks dusted off, we hit the dirt behind earthen walls, thoroughly ruining the day of many a Takistani hostage-taker. Slowly advancing up a hill, Alpha 2 reached our overwatch position to find ourselves nervously staring down the hill at a brace of militiamen, a machine-gun armed technical, and a thoroughly terrifying ZU-23 that had me in fits even though MMG had been tasked with obliterating it. One hail of initiating fire later, and we found out that there were a lot more enemies in the city than we had bargained for. The ZU-23 was taken out well, but an SPG some 700 meters away proved more difficult. An attempt to get down the western slope of the hill ended with jRides eating a bullet without mayo, mustard, or onions, but plenty of ketchup. In that same effort, I got shot and had to crawl back behind cover.

Patched up, I brought Alpha 2 around East and into Feruz-Abad proper. Cleared with little incident by just about everyone else, the city was soon behind us as we made our way up to the mountain-side mines where our charges were being kept. Another fusillade of fire revealed the dastardly plot of the enemy to put their best gunner behind the sights of an SPG... placed with its back against a hillside and rock... These AI aren't too smart, are they?

One rocket-to-the-face later (that I somehow survived) I decided to rethink my previous opinion. Also, I decided to let someone else deal with the scariness of an SPG sniper.

The extract went swimmingly with the exception of one BTR-60, heckling us with heavy machine-gun fire and avoiding death by the hands of some ten odd rockets fired its way through sheer cussed will. Oh, and the Littlebird pilot tasked with extracting our freed hostages? Muttered something about working conditions going to shit since the unions got broken up and promptly fell asleep at the collective, engine running and all. So we fell back on our tried and true method of extraction:

:science101: Teleportation!

Internecine
Deployed as Charlie Fire Team Lead
As it turns out, I suck at defending buildings. After some pro scouting by Toppometer to discover that "No, they aren't coming from the west," and after deducing from the death of Alpha and Bravo's scouts that "Oh, they're doing like Ferrard did last time and are coming from the northeast," I decided to stare Joseph/Sulfur square in the eye as he sprinted into my little hut of shame. I stared him down like no man had ever stared a tribal rival down before. And then he shot me in the face, thus breaking the rules and regulations of the Staring Contest. Alternatively, he used the Takistani variant on the Staring Contest, wherein the first person to absorb bullets loses.

We still won though! Our warlord will be most pleased with the three of us that remained.

Cholo
Does this even need explanation anymore?
I dropped off Charlie and then proceeded to annoy the ever-living crap out of the good officers, in the hopes that they would come out and try to arrest me for creating a public disturbance, that way my buddies could get in and nick all the drugs they wanted. What I didn't count on was that my Lada had a surplus engine that would catch fire and explode all over my face at the slightest provocation, such as braking hard.

:suicide:

Enjoyable session as always - CiA, you guys are awesome!

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Arrival

Bravo SL

We were tasked to protect Charlie/Alpha from the West and were given two HMMW SOV for that task which I redirected to Bravo 2 to cover the hilltops while the other two fire teams had to hold two different openings in the wall.

While the attackers from the W/NW weren't of any challenge one of the HMMWs was rocked by an explosion all of a sudden and before I realized that we had a tank in our back (way to the East, towards Alpha) it burst into flames. Minutes later the tank was taken out but it was too late for the two guys crewing the SOV.

I decided to press on along the wall, further to the west, as the ground there was flatter and I hoped the distance to the East would help minimizing any damage from there. The Apache helped us with some air support before it was pulled away and my fireteams took positions, fending off a steady trickle of enemies. Things went worse shortly after the Apache was downed though. Suddenly at least two guys were injured and when the SOV drove forward to get a bearing it was hit by a RPG. I'm not sure what happened as when I tried to cover one of the wounded guys I was killed myself :v:

Judging from spectator view it looked like we were simply overrun. We were covering our sectors well enough and all Fireteams were doing a great job. I watched them fall back from the dead and it looked like whoever took SL after me was doing a good job in keeping everyone together and combat effective.

Feruzablues

MMG - Gunner

We were attached to Alpha and after initial threats had been dealt with we moved on to an overwatch position overlooking Feruz Abad. In a fantastically choreographed simultaneous assault we disabled two ZU-23 guns, a couple of technicals and quite a few EI without taking any great losses whatsoever. I kept engaging hostiles to cover Alpha's approach and later joined up with them again. We had reports of Charlie and Delta being engaged further east but unfortunately I couldn't get a good enough position to support them. Continuing on to the mine I took position and was tasked to disable a Dhskm on a rooftop while a SPG technical and another Dhskm were to be engaged by other fireteams. This proved to be a fatal seperation of firepower as whoever was tasked to deal with the SPG in time didn't do it quickly enough. It apparently had assessed me as the greatest threat and blew a rocket right in my face.

From the death I watched what was left of our platoon deal with a BTR-60 that didn't want to die, kill a hostage (good job B1-AT) and deal with the remaining attackers. Unfortunately a small oversight in the trigger prevented the Little Bird from taking off with only one hostage on board. This has been fixed in the newest version.
Last edited by wolfenswan on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShowMeTheMonkey

Post by ShowMeTheMonkey »

Great session! And that was me taking over of Bravo Wolfenswan, thanks for the compliment!

I must say I actually did enjoy the workshop and put into practice what I learnt from it. I tried to keep at least one fireteam stationary and covering our retreat.

For the second mission I must say I really enjoyed being with Fer and StrangLove. I felt we were moving as a team and communication when moving was excellent.