fer

[Sun] 02 Dec 2012 (The Finale)

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Swept SE
  • Feruzablues
  • Finale XL
  • After party: Cholo
So that's it, comrades, all 43 of you who were there tonight (including welcome guests from /r/ProjectAwesome): the last ever Folk session.

At some point someone will, I hope, post the footage of comrade SuperU's one-man advance on the enemy HQ in Finale, to the tune of Dire Strait's Brothers in Arms (courtesy of comrade Zitron). I could never, in my wildest dreams, have scripted it any better. Thank you so very much, everyone.

Folk is dead. Long live Folk ARPS.

:v:

wolfenswan

Re: [Sun] 02 Dec 2012 (The Finale)

Post by wolfenswan »

Swept SE
ASL

We were hiding in the northern compounds. I ordered A1 ahead to hold fire and hoped that A2 could draw the enemy to them so A1 could hit them from behind. But when the enemy approached A1, CO ordered us to move ahead and flank them over the hill which proved to be extremely successful. I think we took out at least 8 hostiles before they were able to respond. Unfortunately when redrawing we ran into some AI that had decided to wander into the AO, killing me and most of A2.

Feruzablues
A3 FTL

Flanking over the West, our Squads destroyed all hostile resistance without taking any major casualties. Then we entered SPG country. Seeing most of Charlie being annihilated by rockets, my Fireteam sprinted into cover, only to have rockets raining down on us. Astonishingly, no one died. Clearing Feruzabad went swiftly at first, until an angry man with a AK hit me from the side. I'm sure someone should have covered that side so I'm not going to blame myself :hist101:

Finale XL
GONG 1 Gunner

Gallery with pictures

thekev506

Post by thekev506 »

I don't have much of an AAR to write because I died within 5 minutes in the first two missions, but I lasted a little longer in finale.

I've only been with Folk since late October, but I'll admit the whole of finale made me more than a little sad; I think the music did it. My final folk death was like something out of a film - running to a building when specialsoup tells me to get back, I look to my left and a tank smashes through a wall and guns me down. Nothing compares to SuperU's final charge with the music playing, though. Perfect ending.
Last edited by thekev506 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEINE WUNDERSCHÖNEN AUGEN HEAD
-Wolfenswan

Syn

Post by Syn »

I only played the first 2 missions.

Swept SE

First mission, an adversarial! Me dismounted, saw a guy fall off a rock. We climbed a steep hill, got suppressed. Got down of it, got suppressed. Got into the town, half the squad got killed. Got into a house, got suppressed. Walked through a door, got my legs blown off. I then proceeded to see a guy mikss 3 entire clips while i was static, looking at him while i waited for him to finish me off, until he got me in the face. It all happenned so fast!

----
Feruzablues

We got out of the chopper, took cover, took out a few insurgents cresting a hill. When we looked back, our AR was gone. I picked his saw, and we continued.

Then there was a synchronized fire volley on a small roadblock and some technicals, which got promptly destroyed. I was amazed by the clarity of command, and organization of the squads. Being there was good!

We then crawled over a hill, assaulted a small hangar, then a big town, that we cleared out. FTL was hit, but phalanx got him up. We cleared the place, when we were given the order to assault. Apparently, everyone else had been taking a beating. We climbed another hill, i fell behind (i had a small seizure in which i hallucinated being in a small argentinian house, and having to open the door to a guest) when i came back, as i ran back into position, i saw my FTL and a rifleman firing upon the mine where the hostages were, and i saw tracer fire that killed the FTL. The Ui changed, and to my despair, i was in the new ftl. Damn you, big gun. I advanced a bit, but fell back to get ftl's gps and binocs, and we pushed on. We joined the rest of bravo, rained hell on the place, then moved in.

As we got the hostages, intel came in that a counterattack was coming. We got to the roof. There was a mounted mg, soldier soviet sandwich got on it. My saw was almost dry, and first contact reports came in. I unloaded what was left of my rounds into some bad guys, got an rpk from a body, and found an rpg for soldier sandwich.

Then we heard a helicopter rotor. The mounted mg and my rpk rained hell on it, till black smoke came out of it, and swerved strongly into the mountain. I heard it explode behind me.

The little bird was in sight, and i heard soldier soviet sandwich getting hit. Not again! I will not be the last survivor again, not after what i saw happen to cpl. Halop on that night mission. I got to him, tried to heal him, but forgot to pop smoke, got hit. As i squirmed on the ground, i screamed out, pointing out the position of my attacker. I saw him die. Then, through the radio, came the mission accomplished. I did well. I was going to make it. I hope soviet made it too.

I'm so sad i missed the finale! It sounds like it was awesome. Someone post the video!

I'm looking forward to the next sessions. See you there!

ConcreteOtter

Post by ConcreteOtter »

Swept SE
BSL - Wallfynumber

B2 - me, fer, specialsoup, iceraiser

In this adversarial B2 was designated the forward scout unit aka suicide sacrificial lamb squad. we quickly spotted ei moving from the west both to our
north and our south. we smartly allowed them into our tangled web by not shooting them. soon ice and I lost contact with B2 north and we held up in our
shack hearing tons of shooting and GP rounds popping off. As we were overrun I noticed out of the corner of my vision something dart by me on the 2nd floor
(American floor not European) and tried to yell out a warning to iceraiser but it was too late and he got capped. I slowly crouched walked up the stairs and got
vengeance for Ice but didn't even make it out of the building to regroup with the rest of Bravo as there was just too many, too many....

Feruzablues
BSL - Fer

B1 - me, red sniper, syn, soviet sandvich

This mission began was Bravo 1 running north out of the LZ and hiding in some bushes trying to secure a perimeter. After a brief firefight I learned that we
lost red sniper and somehow also lost his AT, but the rocket ammo was still in his gear? After a series of hill climbs bravo had taken a position overlooking
the town but as we moved closer everything started going south. We came under fire and lost Fer. I jumped onto CC and learned that the squads had been similarly torn up. As i tried to organize a defense and sweep of the town, I received a carrier pigeon from The Party informing me that the hostages were tired of waiting for our rescue had would soon be late to dinner party they had already RSVPed to and clearly they couldn't back out now...so I roughly organized a charge of the light bridge using the remaining FTs with Alpha leading the charge, bravo recklessly running through town which resulted in me getting shot from who knows where and Charlie playing meatshield for the IFV. Somehow parts of Alpha? and Syn and Soviet Sandvich managed to make it into the mine and rescue the hostages only to decide that they would rather bleed out on a staircase than risk flying in a little bird with the AI. A wise choice.

Finale XL
Gong 1 - me, wolfenswan

Epic music, knocking down walls, blowing up a couple T-55s getting pulled out and patched up, losing wolfenswan, trying to communicate on direct to macaco,
getting shot in the face three feet from macaco by macaco!, watching SuperU's last man standing assault end in the way all good Folk sessions end....in death.

Pics from this mission
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =111311068
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =111311166

Cholo

Police Commander - me

Music pumped up to 100%, Smoke gernades, single officer doing building inspection on the construction site, and death on the rooftop for all.

Mamuto

Post by Mamuto »

Swept SE
Defending Alpha 2 FTL
Mamuto, Xenu, The Red Sniper, Cuddlefish

Ah, the good old adversarial. I haven't defended on this mission before, so I was expecting to get completely stomped. However, magic happened in the form of Wolfenswan's brilliant idea to flank the enemy by going up the hill to the North. We did so, and managed to suppress or outright kill a lot of the enemies. Red got hit and lost his legs, Xenu got himself shot in the head, and then Wolf told us to fall back East. Right into the AI's line of fire. :siiigh: Alpha 2 and Alpha SL rest in peace. We still won, and I even managed to get myself 4 kills, though I'm not quite sure how. I guess suppressive fire from an AK74 500+ is a lot more deadly than I thought.

Feruzablues
Alpha 2 FTL
Mamuto, Joe, thekev, Macaco

This was one crazy mission for me. We started off by landing and running to the small stone wall to the Northeast. Things got heavy with a couple of technicals coming down the road right on our position, but we had some very effective fire. However, both the ARR and the AT decided to eat bullets to the face, so it was just Joe and I from now on. I picked up the AT4, and the platoon proceeded Westwards. Nothing very exciting happened for the next 10 minutes, but it was great watching all squads coordinate together, and the fire we laid down on that first village was awesome and effective. However, we left one guy alive, who decided Alpha 2 was just not meant to be today so he goes ahead and snipes Joe right in the face as we were clearing a building. Last man standing, I vow revenge for my fallen comrades, and boy did I get it. We proceeded further down the road, me shadowing A1 and A3. I trade fire with an enemy, killing him, but wounding me. Get back up, we proceed into the city.

I pretty much single handedly clear the motorpark and slowly start edging further into the city. I shot a mounted GP guy in the back, that could have been very ugly... as we start clearing the immediate area, I hear AK fire from behind a gate. I'm out of ammo but then I remembered that I looted an M9 off Comrade Joe's body so in I charge shooting it wildly. Get the kill, loot his AK.

We secure town and I get reassigned to Charlie, which at this point is just 2 men strong, Toppometer and Harraka. We fill with bloodlust and charge directly at the enemy position which is shooting at our IFV and friendlies. The enemy position? MG nest next to a BMP dug in behind sandbags. We make our way up the hill, Toppo and I throw two frags and we charge around the last rock. This is what happens next:

Eventually, the remaining members of Bravo reach me and revive me and we finish the mission. I felt like a boss the whole entire time. at one point I was manning the GP launcher on the back of the technical, peppering the hillside with explosions, and even shot down the helicopter that was coming in. Very intense mission :) glad I lived through it all.

Finale XL
The last mission was hectic but we all died relatively quickly. I tried to commandeer an enemy tank but it decided to promptly blow up on me. Oh well. Spectating was both hilarious and sad at the same time..

So much fun was had. See y'all next week!

SuperU

Post by SuperU »

Swept SE
Video not coming for this, was a fun mission taking pot shots at opfor. Then ferrard ended my life!

Feruzablues

Finale XL

Cholo

I got abit over exited on cholo!

ARR post and videos coming asap!
Last edited by SuperU on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Swept
Bravo something AAR
ConcreteOtter wrote:As we were overrun I noticed out of the corner of my vision something dart by me on the 2nd floor
(American floor not European) and tried to yell out a warning to iceraiser but it was too late and he got capped. I slowly crouched walked up the stairs and got
vengeance for Ice but didn't even make it out of the building to regroup with the rest of Bravo as there was just too many, too many..
Define overrun. No, actually there was a total of two dudes on your position. Me, who you killed, and zitron, who killed you. By the way, were you in that same building from the beginning? If so, my building clearance needs reworked badly.
Anyway, I killed Iceraiser in the back, that's all that matters.

Nice flanking maneuver, from Wolf. We got pinned down really bad and lost quite a lot of dudes and legs in the operation. After that I kept spotting dudes in the compounds below us, but couldn't find any good firing solution, so I resorted to GPs (which I had taken from the still warm body of Comrade Tigershark, who today had decided to live intensely, but shortly).
Probably scared off a couple dudes and bunnies in the process, but that's it. 203s on wporkshop flat terrain's one thing, taking elevation into account is another story.
As our position was compromised, I left for our left flank to get a better position and get eyes on this clusterfuck for Ferrard to be able to assess the situation. Zitron followed me but ignored my suggestion to hold fire, which only compromised our position once again. At that point, I started taking fire, Ferrard mounted a counter flanking maneuver to the complete opposite direction and there was a dude wounded in a bush in front of me. My brains farted under the pressure and I shot him in the face. It was comrade Rawnrix. Rest in peace.
I was way too far to get back to Comrade Carson anyway, so I decided to dash to the closest building, check it, and assess more calmly the situation. I ended up right behind Iceraiser, discharged my assault rifle in his back, heard foosteps in the staircase, saw a dude, shot a wall and died.

Feruzablues
MMG gunner
All went well, we kept swinging between Bravo and Charlie. Then it came to assault Feruz Abad itself. I soon found myself engaged into a duel to death, at long range. On one side, myself, my unscoped unzeroable M240 in hand, and two blades of grass as cover. Six hundreds meters away, on the other side, one dude, a mounted .50cal DshK, protected by a sandbag bunker.
Guess what. I lost.

Finale
Charlie FTL
Plan was: hide behind that mini-ridge, wait for them to be real close, mow them down, and wait for the next wave again. Explicitely asked my AT comrade not to use his ammo before the tanks were on top of us, so no shot would be wasted, and mostly so that we dont get run over by said tanks.
It went quite well, at first and I kept watching those tanks, waiting to see one that would be close enough. Raised my AT dude from the dead (I'm sorry, I forgot who it was. I guess Soviet Sandvich, but I'm not too sure). Inevitably we're about to be overrun by the tanks, they're like 50 meters away. I go fetch him, bring him to a nice and dark corner (so he can engage them, of course). At which point he anounces to me he's out of ammo for his RPG. Resisting the urge of just shooting him in the face and throwing sand in his eyes afterwards, I poke around the corner to see how it was going and instead saw a tracer from inside.

No AAR from the workshop today, as it'd mostly involve me yelling around (for nothing) and flying choppers (for nothing).

Great session, nice new logo (although it did lost a bit of the western feeling), fantastic Finale, and neveraging Cholo.
Welcome to FOLK ARPS!
Last edited by Black Mamba on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Macaco

Post by Macaco »

ConcreteOtter wrote:trying to communicate on direct to macaco, getting shot in the face three feet from macaco by macaco!, watching SuperU's last man standing assault end in the way all good Folk sessions end....in death.
So that was you?! Shit. My bad. The CO had just said he got shot by a tank crewman and that there was one still around, then you came out of nowhere, dressed as a tank crewman, so I fired. Then he told me it was definitely the enemy that I just killed so I didn't worry about it too much after.

Sorry.

Anyways,

Swept SE
Bravo 2 FTL under Ferrard Carson

We immediately headed up the hill to see if we could get eyes on the enemy. We crested the hill, spotted the enemy, then go shot at by the enemy. They somehow managed to hit a good half of our squad in the first volley. We popped smoke, pulled back the survivors and patched them up. We exchanged a few more volleys of fire with the enemy before being reduced to about 7 or 8 guys. Turns out many of them had no legs (I still think Carson ate their knees again). Leaving them on the hill as a base of fire, the three of us who could still walk went to flank. This was moderately successful with Carson running into the enemy compound while Issus and I provided cover fire. I was able to take out one of the guys shooting at carson before promptly taking a bullet for myself.

Feruzablues
Alpha 2 AT under Mamuto

After a fun heli ride in we all stepped off, took cover, then got shot at. Except for me. I just got shot. Having died 1 minute in I went to go play Midnight Club while waiting for the mission to finish.

Finale XL
Company Medic under Wafflynumber

Followed Waffle around watching shit explode everywhere. Found an M60. Stole it. Patched up Waffle a few times, and the IFV crew after they got shot up. Then apparently shot Otter. We found an anti-tank weapon and Waffle employed it to great effect before exploding. Luckily I wasn't close to him at the time. When I called out that the CO was dead on comms, I found that no one answered back. In the face of this great loss, I found myself overcome with grief, craving only revenge, and blood. Thanks to the aforementioned M60 that I adopted, this craving was not difficult to satisfy.

Having heard the voice of my dead comrades spirit telling me to charge, I went off to see if there was anyone else who would follow me into glory. Thankfully SuperU was still around, though in need of my golden hands of healing. Having patched him up we went off in search of a proper vehicle to conduct this final charge with. Finding none, we ran in old school style. :hist101: He then promptly abandoned me when I got shot trying to save him. For this I shall haunt him for the rest of his days! :argh:

SuperU

Post by SuperU »

Macaco wrote::hist101: He then promptly abandoned me when I got shot trying to save him. For this I shall haunt him for the rest of his days! :argh:
Ohhh AWKWARD.....

You sounded like you were doing a good job, I didn't want to steal your thunder :D