[Sun] 06 Jan 2013 (Joint session: CiA & PA)

How we died
fer

[Sun] 06 Jan 2013 (Joint session: CiA & PA)

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • UNnecessary Violence (JO edition)
  • Red Snow (JO edition)
  • Crateresistance
  • Internecene DC
  • Afterparty: some Cholos (what else?)
"Hold my hand, we'll get through this together." - Heard in Berezino, speaker unknown.

Comrades, friends, I have no words. Yet. With a playercount that peaked in the 70s, and a session that lasted over 4 hours, I don't think we could have asked for more. Then again, that bit where comrades Hotis and Sylver put their differences aside and friendship triumphed over violence? Yeah, that was more.

:coolbert:

So let me just start by thanking a lot of people, because the session was the work of quite the cast: Comrade Stranglove project managed the preparation, with liaison help from Bodge, CiA's Variable and Project Awesome's CamPA, S8lick and 0neUp. Comarades Wolfenswan and Harakka tweaked missions specifically for the session. Comrade Ferrard Carson came up with the plan for the first mission, UNnecessary Violence (JO edition), then worked with comrades Bodge, Waffly, Variable, Black Mamba, Toppometer, Draith and Stranglove to run pre-mission briefings etc. - all ensuring we went from the (rapid) slotting to the moving/shooting/being shot part in record time.

Thank you also to everyone who came along, especially our friends from CiA and Project Awesome. People were awesome at slotting quickly, keeping banter to sidechat when necessary, and generally helping ensure the event ran really smoothly. You all rocked.

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here (PM any of the hosts for details of FA YouTube channel) - and remember there the a new video ident by comrade YouTube Hero SuperU. Posts in the AAR threads really helps us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like.

Happy new year, comrades!

:v:

And now, from Comrade YouTube Hero SuperU:

Headspace

Re: [Sun] 06 Jan 2013 (Joint session: CiA & PA)

Post by Headspace »

Sounds like it was awesome.

FA is starting to really come into its own. 70 players is on the high end for what I feel is the "sweet spot" for A2 gaming (which is around 50 players). But that's personal preference. By the way, here's my totally legitimate excuse for missing this one:
Ok, finally got the SOB to work.
[6:08:36 PM] Headspace: Nvidia surround is like the Devil incarnate.
[6:09:09 PM] Headspace: I don't want to play ArmA with three screens. I want to play it with the normal 1920x1080 but without SLI turned off. So Nvidia's control panel software tries to switch into that mode then my machine restarts.
[6:09:20 PM] Headspace: *JUST AS THIS IS OCCURRING*, my brother in law starts burning some food downstairs. Badly.
[6:09:28 PM] Headspace: I mean it's the worst rotten, burned up meat smell ever.
[6:09:43 PM] Headspace: My machine starts to suck that smell in and then I assume it's an electrical fire occuring inside the machine.
[6:10:13 PM] Headspace: So I perform emergency shutdown, disconnect the SLI bridge and remove the cards from the machine because I'm operating under the assumption that one of them might be lighting itself on fire.
:psypop:

Took me awhile to figure out what was actually going on.

mike

Post by mike »

orbats from the first 3 games (in case you forgot who was where):

http://pastebin.com/z003RiD3

I love it when the opposite side gets slaughtered in cratesistance :)

head

Post by head »

Red Snow
CO - Medic
Ran around , spotted a ambush on alpha ,shot the guy.

Got gunned down the ever so vicious bodge.

Crateresistance
CO - INDFOR

Spread out C by C, Bravo on the mountain on the B cache and Alpha on A cache with Delta in reserve.

My mic broke the first thing, so that was fun.

Nevertheless i pulled together managed to come up with a nice battle-plan.

Alpha got drooped on and murderizes with kale being the lone survivor(he followed my orders to run like hell <3)

DC soon got shot after and crate ai reported enemy contacts by the C marker , Ivan pulled one hell of a flanking maneuver and with some help from Charlie destroyed the elements attacking the C cache.

Delta got violated because they advanced too far and ended up stuck in a shitty town on a openfield.

I have no clue what happened to bravo.(i was dead by this point)

But TOTAL VICTORY for indfor, thank you guys

0neUp

Post by 0neUp »

Being a first-timer, I honestly have to say this event left a great impression!

The amount of players, the great organisation and overall feeling were really cool and definitely something I'd like to do again!

I can't submit a full AAR at this time, I'm about to fall asleep here, but I'd like to express my experience in a little album I threw together:

http://imgur.com/a/WzHPj

Thank you guys for having us, PA will definitely take part in the next Op.

0neUp

SuperU

Post by SuperU »

UNnecessary Violence (JO edition)
I was took the journalist slot this game to record some epic footage (Its awesome I will get editing tomorrow!) I was known throughout this mission known as "Reporter" or "Rolling Stone".

Here are some screen shots from this mission I took whilst filming
http://imgur.com/a/vH6wi

Spectating / filming this mission was brilliant fun and I managed to get interviews with different soldiers!

This is a preview of what is to come

Red Snow (JO edition)
I was DC medic, special soup (the DC) died early on so I ran around killing some dudes and patching others up. At this point I then ran into fer and his merry men so I joined up with them and became a member of Delta 2. We lasted for ages thanks to fers expert FTL leadership. Untill he died from bullet to the face syndrome.

Crateresistance

I CO'd this mission for blu for. My plan was simple pincer the cache and meet up for the final one. This went well until they spotted us, we managed to get 2 of the three caches though. (HEAD YOU DID NOT WIN!)

Below is a video of two opposing sides coming together transcending violence for love!

Internecene DC
Camped around for abit, didn't see much. Won game.

Brialliant session overall I can't wait to get the footage from UNnecessary Violence together!

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Missions:
UNnecessary Violence)

Was mike's assistant in MAT1, attached to Delta - although Toppo insisted on referring to all his Fireteams as Alpha 1/2/3, which made this somewhat boring mission (for me and mike) a little better. My PC also decided it wasn't going to perform well during this mission, slowing down to about 5 FPS.

Every vehicle contact we heard of, we arrived seconds late to see someone else take it, bar maybe 1 or 2 when we went slightly rogue and went on a death charge once mike had joined back up for me after taking a break in an M113 to 'read a book' - his words.

Red Snow

A3 FTL under Ferrard as ASL - basically just got shot in all directions, I ended up taking a bullet to the face whilst curled up in an orchard where we were ambushed.

Crateresistance

As A+B+C moved in on our objective we were systematically shot from behind and torn to pieces.

Internecene DC

Positioned myself in some ruins south of the village, got shot at, shot and killed Draakon who believed he was completely out of sight on the wrong side of a bush. Black Mamba (our SL) timed a shot precisely with the moment a Squad mate next to me went down, as I panicked thinking we had been flanked and being shot at from behind, I turned, pointed my gun at Mamba, no tags came up so I stuck a few in his chest only to then realise it was him - oops. Payback for all the times you've gotten me killed Mamba? Sorry!

Great session though, was impressed with the huge numbers last night and seemed to have picked up some new guys - which means I no longer am the new guy!!

Look forward to the videos

DarkTatka

Post by DarkTatka »

Crateresistance

I was Alpha AR and lone survivor on CDF side, from what I can gather.

We disembarked from trucks and went for Charlie objective. Whole three squads got into a shallow gully and we got surrounded by enemy. Me and IceRaiser began to break out & flank to the north-east, and I saw a hat behind our three fire teams, made it full of bullets, and then suddenly ... my whole team was down. The firing gradually stopped and IceRaiser was dead some 20 meters from me. I lied on the hillside, unable to move from fear of getting shot. The last alive but wounded buddy was calling out from the pile of bodies which become of Alpha, Bravo and Charlie ... And I couldn't get to him. I lied there until his calling for help stopped and began crawling to the hilltop. I saw no enemy near our objective, but they were there, hidden, waiting and looking ... I checked my map and saw squad markers to my east. Nobody was responding on radio but I had to know if there were others alive. I ran to them. Alone in the woods or at least I thought so ... in few minutes I heard footsteps which weren't mine and I saw a man running some 20 meters to my left, down from Větrná (windy mountain?). I lied down and let him in front of me, then let her rip. FOR MY COMRADES, YOU REVOLUTIONARY DOG! I was very close to the squad markers when I heard another survivor who was as lost as I was. I told him Ill check the cache and we will try to get together. When I got there ... there were just shot up bodies everywhere around the destroyed cache, friend and foe alike ... then somebody mercifully stopped the mission.

The most atmospheric mission I played with Folk. When shit goes bad, this game is at its best.
Last edited by DarkTatka on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Disreputable_Dog

Post by Disreputable_Dog »

This was my first time playing with you guys and I had a blast.

UNnecessary Violence
I was an engineer, driving the Repair Truck behind the convoy. Had a blast doing absolutely nothing. Spent most of the time cracking jokes and jabbering with Strang and Zitron.

Red Snow

I was the spotter for Wilbo Baggins, trying to help out Alpha. We took down a few hostiles at the Dock, allowing Alpha to comandeer a UAZ without any real resistance. We then proceeded north , but were both wounded and lost fighting capability (not alot of sniping you can do when you cant aim steady) before finally getting gunned down near Alpha's then burnt out UAZ.

Crateresistance

I tried being a fireteam lead for Alpha. Then everyone Died.

overall i had alot of fun! :D look forward to the next time We can play together.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

UNnecessary Violence
Charlie Squad Leader

All in all this ended up being a pretty easy one. I was a bit anxious to be the SL at first, seeing that this mission would probably be a long one and I didn't want anybody to die right at the beginning, but that kinda went well. With an extra bit of precaution (Sorry Ferrard if we been a bit slow at times), we took our first casualties only a few meters before actually getting to the mosque. As I lost two FTLs at that point, it resulted in a bit of confusion at first, but the guys that stepped up did it well, and we did our job by clearing the west side of the mosque, and then participating in the photo op while A2 got their ass kicked somewhere.
Thanks to all the guys who put up with the lulls and the waiting, and for being really smooth when following commands.

Red Snow
Delta 1 FTL

This one usually sees me dying early. Well. There was a bit of confusion when we assaulted Berezino, with us (Delta) going the wrong way and ending up in Charlie's spot. We started to move away to our designated AO, but then Fer's fireteam got whacked and we had to move back to find the survivors.
When we finally made it to D3, they were under fire from about all over the place, DSL eventually went down (at least the comms did) and I had to step up for a while. Ordered my fireteam to take a covering position a bit further North-East, went up to check on DSL and D3, spotted a few dudes flanking us from behind, and ate an MMG bullet to the face. Dear Lord, that mission.

Cratesistance
Indie DC

Head, our beloved CO, lost all comms right at the beginning, so I improvidsed a quick plan. Luckily he went back up quickly and took on reorganizing the mess. I took position south of the Charlie cache, so I could be some kind of a warning system in case they flanked us. While I was hiding in a tree, a whole enemy fireteam ran on top of me. Literally. I stared at that one dude that was sitting on me for a good two seconds (Listen to me. Stop your heart. Calmly. Good. Now, die.) as I just couldn't believe the fact that they hadn't seen me. I was about to finally pull the trigger when one of the other dudes shot me point blank. Sorry that I couldn't refraim myself from laughing like a maniac on the comms when I died.

Internecine
Indie CO

Bad planning, bad executing, and the spirit of revenge that inhabited Wilson after so much bullying on my part. Guess what happened.

Cholo

Kinda speaks for itself, now, doesn't it.

Was a really nice session, I must say I love the big numbers (well at least when I don't die from the first flying bullet), that first Coop really was a success. Was also nice to play with the CiA dudes, the PA dudes, and all the new faces! Only thing I regret is I would have loved to just put my brains aside for a while and play as a regular grunt, and enjoy the big ass battlefield.

See y'all soon!