• Rolling Bohica Part 2
  • CompoundIt
  • Roadside II
  • Swept SE (adversarial version)
  • Chernolo (afterparty)
  • Chernolo (more afterparty)
  • Chernolo (even more afterparty)
  • Fuel Utopia (...)
At its peak, tonight's session saw 59 comrades in-mission together; I'm writing this post at 23:30 UK, a full 4 hours after the session start, and a double-figures afterparty is still raging. You comrades rock!

:clint:

What didn't rock, or at least didn't go to plan, was the over-emphasis on NVG-less low-light fighting that characterised the first half of the session; for that, please accept my apologies as the session host. Clergyman's dawn setting worked as intended, but even after the bright daylight of CompoundIt, it was not a wise choice to run with the NVG-less dusk of Roadside II in a session that had already featured the terrifying blackness of Rolling Bohica Part 2. I'm just thankful that, unlike with my 5-year-old, I don't have to cuddle Tigershark when he's afraid of the dark. I just have to follow him up a hill and get shot in the face. Wait ...

Anyway, we opened up with a frantic battle to save a man of the cloth from captivity in a church (or prevent that from happening) in comrade Wilson's new adversarial, Clergyman, which featured a generational clash of BMPs. Then, picking up from the [Sun] 27 Jan 2013 (Keep on truckin') session, we completed Rolling Bohica Part 2 despite the horror of Horsemeat Hill, where much of Alpha met its end at the hands of darkness ... and friendly grenades. CompoundIt gave us a brief respite in the warm sunshine of Takistan, where BLUFOR was eventually put to the sword by INDFOR, despite some great individual acts of skill (I'm looking at you, cache-detonating-pilot-dude). Then it was back-to-black, as KSK puppets murderised our brave Takistani Army motorised platoon in the second sequel of the night, Roadside II. The official session closed-out with the adversarial version of Swept SE, which made us feel better - by providing sunlight - and then shot us in the face. Well, we shot each other in the face.

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here (PM any of the hosts for details of FA YouTube channel) - and remember there the a new video ident by comrade YouTube Hero SuperU. Posts in the AAR threads really helps us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like.

:v:

Stoner

Re: [Sun] 10 Feb 2013 (Horsemeat Hill)

Post by Stoner »

Clergyman
Alpha 2, AR
Participated. NTR

Rolling Bohica
Eng Asst.
As Engineers, Macaco and I hung back, away from the blood and turmoil of the front-line troops. At one point, we stopped to chill with the Mortar fire team. (Those guys know where to get the good stuff, and a 120mm mortar tube makes a badass bong.) Anyway, I got the munchies and went to our HMMV to see if I still had a bag of Cheetos. Then I got zapped by what I assume was friendly fire. I was crouched down between two HMMVs and well away from the hostilities with not contact from the enemy.

Compoundlt
Alpha 1, AR
First waited for the bad guys while covered in a compound. When other units reported bad guys and shooting, we were ordered to a hilltop. There, we fired upon a compund believed to have bad guys. While there, our FT Glorious Leader and I took one for the team. Alpha Medic restored us to fighting form and we continued. Eventually, Glorious FT Leader was taken out as was another team member. Picker assumed command, and we were ordered to advance on the village. As there were but two of us, we leap-frogged in; one advanced, while the other covered. We were about to make our final assault when the game ended.

Roadside II: Electric Boogaloo
Alpha 3, AAR
First there was a bit of confusion for A3, when we were first told simply "a couple FTs will go to a northwest point, the others to the southwest point." Once the game started, it was clarified that A3 was to go the the southwest point, then the northwest point. I requested clarification, and I was told the southwest point. As I ran there, I noted my other comrades were already there; apparently, I did not get the memo... We covered behind some rocks and tracked the village 280 meters away in the valley and waited. When the bad guys opened up, we responded. Their sharpshooting snipers (with no NV and using only AK47s) shot a comrade, then me, then the remainder of the FT.

Note: even though I completely and totally suck at MP (I've been sucking MP since Rainbow Six:Rogue Spear), I look forward to the Folk ARPS Sundays. It's OK, even fun, to die with friends.
Bitte töte mich nicht

m0ntag

Post by m0ntag »

I got back from camping and rushed in to get a few missions in for the session. Great session and great numbers as always, comrades. Should tide me over 'til next week :D

Swept SE (Alpha Medic):
Right as we unloaded off the helicopter, I noticed that our Alpha FTL was an AI. Off to a good start already. So, I ended up tagging along with Alpha 1, led by Dannysaysnoo. After being tactical and walking around a bunch of buildings, I got the call that Bravo Squad Leader was badly wounded. So, I ran up the hill to our left (out of cover and being fired on, mind) and hid behind a rock. I then became stuck behind that rock as people got torn to shreds by enemy boolets every time they so much as looked away from the rock. It came down to Labbes and I. We made a dash from the hill and met up with what was left of Alpha squad. What follows is evidence that karma and irony exist and are well fed beasts.

m0ntag: Stay back. He got shot.
Labbes: Oh.
m0ntag: See, kids? This is what happens when you don't check your corne-- :psyboom:

Right after saying that, a burst of gunfire removed me from the mortal realm. Check your corners, kiddies. :eng101:

Chernolo I (Police)
A short mission consisting of me climbing ladders, panicking under friendly fire, and being the last one left. I looked down the staircase and saw a guy. Right as I started typing 'Friendlies in Chernolo?', I got killed. Apparently, my humor isn't as popular as I thought. :cry:

Chernolo II (Gangsta' Squad)
I got in a vehicle, ran around a fence, and didn't even make it to the factory before the round was over. All righty then.

Chernolo III (Gangsta' Squad)
Whilst discussing the compass direction of 'glory' (we established it was somewhere to the South-Southwest, at that moment), we drove onto some train tracks. It turns out that, making a bunch of train noises as you enter an enemy area is not effective and we got killed. I don't know how, exactly. But I think we found glory. :dance:

Fuel Utopia (Citizen Something or Other)
Fuel Utopia is my favorite adversarial. Right after Cholo. Maybe they're even. I dunno. Either way, we had a nice low-count and tense mission. Lots of sitting in houses and listening to gun fire in the distance. I ended up with a huge kill count. Took out the gunner of the Hind and the pilot after he ran. Threw a grenade that took out at least one more. Ended up being the last one alive. Listened to the sound of the fuel truck. Kept hiding in various houses in ambush. Eventually, I said just ran up to the top of the minaret and looked around. Saw one infantry and the driver having issues. Took out infantry and threw about 3 bullets in the direction of the driver, ending the round. :clint:

Even though I arrived late, I still had fun. Points for everyone that stuck around that late. I eagerly await the next session

'til next time,
m0ntag
I don't like the term 'Medic'. I prefer 'Fun Enabler' or 'Maximum Fun Ensurance Counselor'. What's more fun than being shot once? Being shot twice.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/m0ntag
whitesymphonia wrote:I know that I can count on m0ntag to save my ass when wounded...

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

Clergyman
Hide in hills. Wait. Massive MG fire from up the hill. Or was it down the hill? Friendly BMP-3 says it was them. Stop worrying. Run back up the hill. Get shot by enemy IFV because, as it turns out, it wasn't the friendly BMP-3 shooting. Best part? I was the AT gunner :D

The position we were in (NW of the AO) is actually rather unforgiving for the simple reason that you cannot look out. To say within the AO, you have to stay on your side of the hill, which pretty much means you're completely open to being taken by surprise. Confusion about whether fire was friendly or not plus some friendly fire incidents made it even worse!

Rolling Bohica Part 2
Bravo 1, with Unaco (FTL), Harakka (AT), Tink (AR) and me (AAR).

Unfortunately, our SL simply stayed put, which meant Unaco had to step up as SL. He did a fine job! And I apologise for saying "there were friendlies at the obj already" all the time - I'm stupid and failed to realise you were probably busy trying to get back into a command position after a hiatus and trying not to get killed because noone else seemed up for the SL position.

Either way, we engaged enemies millions of miles away, at great ratio of ammo/kill, then covered Alpha as they moved up on Green Mountain, then joined them, got ambushed from behind but kept at full strength, went up to the compound, waited there until things went boom, I personally rushed to engage some enemies somebody called out, then continued west for a position overlooking Zelenogorsk, and looked down on it while eating fries & eggs with my wife (how DO you guys organise your dinners?!). Mission ended. Results: I'M ALIVE! And with two kills, as it turns out.

CompoundIt
Was in the Chinook that got RPG'd. Somehow survived, along with another 5 or 6, which promptly got ambushed. Eventually, 3 of us made it out! We moved towards the closest cache, as it seemed the enemy had had enough of killing us, and managed to blow it up without engaging any contacts. As we start to move out again, we get engaged by enemies from the front, and, as it turns out, from the back. Aye, we did not last long!

But it's these missions that are epic. I just hope someone has footage! :)

Roadside II
Back to the hills. Wait and move in darkness. See nothing. Movement on the other side of the world - shoot for no effect - get shot in the face :(

Swept SE (adversarial version)
Go into the hills W of target. See nothing. Move up to big rock. Hide behind rock. Some of us die on the way, some of us die there, one of us glitches on a rock, I take a peek, get shot at, get healed, take a peek, get shot, get healed, take a peek, get shot, die.

I henceforth name that piece of barren rock the Bloody Stream Boulder - on account of the red river flowing down from it for the entire mission!

Chernolo (x3)

So I had heard of CHernOLO quite a few times. There were great expectations, but at the same time, I had no idea what it was about. The first mission I go into the factory, walk around a bit, mission ends. Wut? That was a little underwhelming... but...

The mission's music, along with everyone singing it, starts incensing my spirit. I get the idea that the enemy is hiding in the factories. I go in there, walk around for a bit, see movement (!!!), start shooting! Turns out, we don't have guns. We have little straws and we're blowing tiny bits of chewed paper through them. "Pew pew pew", I say, before a shotgun fires A HAIL OF BULLETS INTO MY FACE.

The third mission... well, it is a time for revenge! The gang shall prevail!!! GET IN AND RIDE, RIDE MADLY, FOR GLORYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

Wait, which way IS glory? We hit a little bump on our glorious, glorious path as I get off the driver's seat and somebody else takes the helm of our glorious, glorious adventure. Vroom, vroom, we shout, as we careen down the hillside! THERE! THE OBJECTIVE! VROOM! But wait, there's more! A railroad track! We drive our great steed onto the tracks, to hoarse shouts of "CHOO CHOO!!"! The bridge, it is being crossed! By us! The glorious adventurers! "CHOO CH :psyboom: MY FACE :psyboom: :psyboom:

Fuel Utopia

We are low on fuel! What's the plan? We raid a village, but TAKE ALL THE VEHICLES! Off we go, into the desert sun! Motorcycles zoom past, jeeps slash their tires into the dunes, sending flashes of sand into the air, as the chopper passes over us in a morale-boosting fly-over; and the truck... well, the truck kinda just drives there. In a big ol' jeep, I decide to slow down for Wilbo, who's on a bike. The cheeky raider starts getting in front of my jeep! I accelerate and over-take him, then a heavy conscience and slow back down. In rides around me, in mockery. Then, he has what I like to call Z-Best Idea. He decides, on a bike, to ram me, in a big, heavy, 4-wheeled vehicle. The result? Let's just say that after the dust settles, all that's left is a dusty lifeless corpse and a mountain of laughter over TS.

In my defence, I did try to avoid him!

I make a motion to ban all plans that involve people in hills :v:

Tink

Cover and light are for the bourgeois capitalist pigs.

Post by Tink »

Clergyman
OPFOR - Bravo 2 AR (?)
I saw what I thought were an enemy FT trying to be sneaky and back door the church but I wanted to make sure I was right before I called it. As I broke cover the enemy BMP crested the hill behind me and killed all of Bravo 2.

Rolling Bohica Part 2
Bravo 1 AR
Bravo seemed to be fire support squad for this mission which suited me fine, I got plenty of kills and was engaging the enemy from a nice safe distance whilst alpha got chewed up all close and personal in front of us. I don't think there was a single casualty in the whole of Bravo this mission.

CompoundIt
Bravo 1 AT
I have mixed emotions about my actions during this mission.

Bravo was tasked with running to the top of the hill to the west, as we approached I got reports of a helicopter inbound. I crested the ridge just in time to see a Chinook coming in for landing. I asked for confirmation if we were allowed to engage the helicopter with rockets and got told if I had a shot to take it. It was one of those rare times in arma where you have the opportunity to shoot down a helicopter with an RPG and I took it. The emotional high of watching the RPG fly true was quickly followed by a deep sense of guilt as I watched people throwing themselves out of the burning helicopter only to find said burning helicopter exploding on top of them. Apologies to anybody in that Chinook, if it makes you feel better me and the rest of my fire team then got caught on the side of the hill with no cover as we tried to regroup with the rest of our forces.

If there is a lesson to take from all of this I believe it's this: "We can't stop here this is RPG country!"

Roadside II
Eng Lead
I sent Fer to plant explosives to the south and I headed north. Sorry if it was a bit disorganised at the start Fer, I couldn't work out why command wasn't answering me and then I realised that I'd forgotten to turn CC on.

The plan was to fall back to the centre of town but I couldn't get a good visual on the explosives from there so I stayed in a building on the edge of town. All around me I heard gunfire and the screams of my comrades over the radio. I watched in horror as Unaco's BDRM was immobilised right next to my explosives and then he ran into the building right on top of my explosives. I informed him of this but by this point he was already surrounded, I asked how he felt about me blowing him up and got the rather surprising answer of "do it". As is the way of arma though neither the resulting explosion nor the building collapsing around him actually killed Unaco. Nor did it kill the enemies surrounding him. So whilst I didn't directly Kill Unaco I did manage to blow up all his cover. woops.
:siiigh:

By this stage it was only me and 2 members of Charlie left and you know once the engineers are calling the shots you are in trouble. I ordered the charge and left my building with AK firing wildly, maybe a little too wildly as it turned out because in my excitement I stumbled off the steps and broke my legs. All there was to do now was wait and listen as the remainders of Charlie died gloriously.

Bravo SL
Bravo was supposed to climb the mountain and provide over watch on the town. I found a pebble to use as cover but it turned out to be insufficient as I took heavy fire and died swiftly. Then I had to leave and didn't see what happened to the rest of my men but I'm guessing a similar fate was waiting for them once they crested.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Clergyman

FTL in Alpha as NAPA

A sense of pride came over me as this one was my first creation for the FA sessions. We dismounted at the start and made our way on foot to our first Waypoint where Skabooga did some recon with his Binos to which he saw 'some' movement. We then made our way up the southern most road towards town...across a somewhat large opening. Our BMP-2 was burning off to our East (RIP), then I spotted a whole FT in the barn on the edge of town, opened fire, turns out I didn't kill one of them, the rest of Alpha did a pretty good job though. Bravo moved onto the church where quite a large firefight took place. The OPFOR BMP-3 tore most of Alpha, including myself to shreds as we moved into the centre of town, as well as the survivors of our first encounter moving in from behind - probably Tigershark.

INDFor managed to hold the area around the church for the required 3 minutes and thus won the game, which ended rather abruptly.

I'm interested in any feedback you guys can give me for the mission - I have added fortifications around the church to give some cover for OPFOR whilst defending it and fixed the silly 5 minutes left warning after 5 minutes lol. As well as adding a hint to let OPFOR know INDFOR are at the church - this was previously a globalchat forced on the leader of OPFOR but Ferrard died early on so you never got the memo.

Rolling Bohica Part 2

AR in A1 under Ferrard.

Tasked with moving through the trees, so bloody dark it them woods it was ridiculous lol. As we moved onto Green Mountain to find one of the trucks, the whole of Alpha got pinned down on the hill rising to it. A friendly grenade took out most of the squad, an EI wandered in as we patched the wounded up and opened fire on all of us, some friendly fire too. Bit of a cluster**** if there ever was one. Found the truck, took the photo, blew it up. Moved into town, took out a whole, got killed by a MG in the church.

CompoundIt

Died from an RPG on landing, killed 8 of us. Most of us were pretty pissed at this. We were told we were not to use the MG's on the chinook but our enemy were able to take us out on landing. I know it's a perfectly acceptable but the way we saw it, it resulted in us sitting out for the rest of the mission without even getting out of the chopper. YES, we could have landed further away but then you would have had to wait an extra half hour for us to get into town. But just to add, I've gotten over it after a nights sleep and hold nothing against you Tink lol.

Roadside II

BRDM driver with Unaco as a gunner, I kept getting out to have a better look for myself which ended up messing things up for Unaco really as I wasn't on hand to get him the hell out of there, and when he really needed me to, I got shot outside and he had to get me up. So apologies Unaco. He still survived longer than me though, even the IED that went off next to him didn't kill him.

Really enjoyed this. Was part of A3 with Astutecat, Ferrard and Awaitz.

We were to fall back and hold the Western part of town, whilst A1 and A2 were further East. We split into two teams with Astute and Ferrard in one house, me an Awaitz in another. Saw a heck of a lot of action. Killed guys on the hill to our north, had enemy AI moving up from the West behind us. Literally surrounded but we held out for a long time, I took 9 with me in the process (mostly AI to be fair) but capped m0ntag and Fer so not a bad result. Astute and Ferrard bravely held out until they met there bloody deaths at the hands of Skabooga who took the long way round to find them haha.

Chernolo (afterparty)

Shot my own teammate Lazer as he appeared out of nowhere scaring the crap out of me, twas funny though.

Chernolo (more afterparty)

Died again.

Chernolo (even more afterparty)

Died some more.
Last edited by Wilson on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Great session once again. Aww, me love the numbers!

Clergyman
Defenders Alpha Squad Medic

This mission was quite tense as a defender, as we didn't really have any eyes on whatever was happening outside our zone. After a few minutes of waiting, we were ordered to move to the East side of the town, where enemy sightings have been reported. As soon as we got there, bullets started flying, and oh boy, they were flying low. I stood there, hiding in my little shed, witnessing my brave comrades struck down by hails of bullets all around me, robbed of their promising lives in the bloom of their youth. Then I got shot, fixed up by the Squad Leader (Halop, iirc). Sadly he got shot himself a few seconds later. We finally started to move back west, towards the church aand that goddamn clergyman. Once again, succumbing to fear, I found shelter in a large house and spotted two enemy fireteams converging towards the church. There was much bunching up going on there, and as I had got my hands on a GP-25 launcher (from the still-warm body of our esteemed comrade Carson), I figured this would be the time to finally do something about it.
Little did I know there was another of those fireteams sitting just outside the wall of my house.

Rolling Bohica Part 2
Alpha Squad Medic

I never play as a medic, and got to be one twice in a row. The first part of the mission mostly saw me driving around woods in a humvee, trying to not run over friendlies. Which I didn't, so I guess it's a good thing.
Then Alpha got to the Green Mountain, and from what I gather, was tasked with taking it. I dumped the humvee on the roadside, and started walking a few dozen meters behind the squad, ready to intervene when bodies would start falling. Well, they did fast enough. Alpha got pinned down just outside the objective compound, people hit everywhere, bullets whizzing by my ears, and I started to raise people up like I was on an assembly line. We're Murricans, let's use what our great Ford taught us, right?
Dogface, our SL, tripped and fell on a bullet.
That's about when people starting to get very inventive (Hey, I could try and throw a handgrenade through that tree!) and we started to lose even more people. Anyway, after rasing Tiger about a dozen times, and hearing on the global chatter that Bravo was coming to help us, after wondering to myself why the hell don't we use them mortars and CAS now?, we finally took the compound and heard the reassuring news of We're taking the photos now. I informed our newly appointed SL Tiger that I was moving down the hill to bring the Humvee back, so everybody could rearm, so please don't shoot me when I come back.
I hadn't made 75 meters yet, when I saw tracers all over the place. Screamed DshK, parked the humvee on the roadside an jumped out. I hid behind it until I was told the HMG had been dealt with. Almost got chopped up by a DshK I had sadistically placed there myself. The irony.
The Humvee was messed up, though, and it wasn't to move anymore. So much for the resupply. Realising how many casualties we had taken, all of Alpha collapsed in to one single big fireteam and went on for some more adventures, including some very nice rocketeering by The red sniper, some more medicing, MGs everywhere, and victory!

CompoundIt
Blufor B3 FTL

I was, err, tired... so I had decided I wouldn't take any lead role for the entirety of the session. But, the slotting not being that fast, I jumped up as an FTL. The plan was for us to move on the famous ridge of death in the south of the village. I knew from the very beginning this was not good, but not being a SL or CO, chose to not raise my discontent. (well, I did express my worriness during the Squad Brief phase, to no result, though. I didn't feel like arguing much, plus, if I wanted to make the plan, all I had to do was to take the lead slot.)
So there we went, got shot up from both sides, absent any form of cover. A first rocket whizzed by, the second hit somewhere behind me. My last words were What the hell, I'm flying!
And what's this thing coming toward me very fast? So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like 'Ow', 'Ownge', 'Round', 'Ground'! That's it! Ground! Ha! I wonder if it'll be friends with me? Hello, Ground!
*splat*

Roadside II
Charlie AR

This time, I wasn't even leading anything, so I shut up when our FT was told to take a position 500 meters from the closest friendlies, on a hillside, without cover, masked by the terrain from what was happening to the East and two directions to cover.
About a minute in the mission, two of us were shot by enemies coming from the south?, while I was off taking fire from a large fireteam to the East. Took about 2 minutes to get all four of us wounded, crawling and executed.

A2 AR

My wish to not lead anything went to hell once again when two of my FT members mysteriously died inside a house, while Fer, inside the same house, didn't even know what happened.
Fer, apologies for not being very communicative nor full of initiative. And getting you killed. I did avenge you, though, and killed Wilson (it's the first time it happened as he was on the other team, so yay!). After much being very lost (which was very funny for us, probably not for the people watching, apologies again), we were told to charge.
When we finally got to the compound the enemies were in, I realized I was out of grenades. Decided to go in anyway, got shot in the face by Ferrard. I'm not even sure I hit him in the process.
We did win, though.

[DvtS]Wilson wrote:an EI wandered in as we patched the wounded up and opened fire on all of us
This was some epic moment. I was patching Tiger up, and I could see that dude just walking around friendlies and shooting everybody. The amount of profanity I yelled on the comms at that point was probably a tad over the top. Luckily, being a medic, the patch up thing went rather fast and I could shoot him point blank before he got to me.
[DvtS]Wilson wrote:got killed by a MG in the church.
I'm quite proud of that one. :laugh:

PS:
- a reminder for those who asked: The CO practice is happening already on a regular basis during the usual pre-session workshop.
- the editor is almost all you need to make misions for the sessions. You can have a look at Wolfenswan posts here and here. You can also use, for your first missions, the pre-made stubs he released as well, here and here. The last missions by Fer all use them, so you know it's good stuff.

Anvilfolk

Re: Cover and light are for the bourgeois capitalist pigs.

Post by Anvilfolk »

[DvtS]Wilson wrote:Clergyman

A sense of pride came over me as this one was my first creation for the FA sessions.
Congratulations! Please consider making a feedback thread in the appropriate forum. I left one of my thoughts in my post above, but perhaps more things can be discussed and/or refuted :)

[DvtS]Wilson wrote: CompoundIt

Died from an RPG on landing, killed 8 of us. Most of us were pretty pissed at this. We were told we were not to use the MG's on the chinook but our enemy were able to take us out on landing. I know it's a perfectly acceptable but the way we saw it, it resulted in us sitting out for the rest of the mission without even getting out of the chopper. YES, we could have landed further away but then you would have had to wait an extra half hour for us to get into town. But just to add, I've gotten over it after a nights sleep and hold nothing against you Tink lol.
Tink wrote: CompoundIt
Bravo 1 AT
I have mixed emotions about my actions during this mission.

... SNIP ...

If there is a lesson to take from all of this I believe it's this: "We can't stop here this is RPG country!"
Perhaps we could get an official thread or decision about this? My opinion is suspect since I survived that rocket, but I feel that the more extreme the circumstances, the more interesting the stories. I'm going to remember this mission for a long time! It's never fun to sit a mission out entirely, of course, but for smaller missions I find it interesting that cunning tactics and errors really matter. This is just the humble opinion of a newcomer, of course :)
Black Mamba wrote: PS:
- a reminder for those who asked: The CO practice is happening already on a regular basis during the usual pre-session workshop.
- the editor is almost all you need to make misions for the sessions. You can have a look at Wolfenswan posts here and here. You can also use, for your first missions, the pre-made stubs he released as well, here and here. The last missions by Fer all use them, so you know it's good stuff.
Yes, please do! I've been having a blast learning scripting and the mission editor, and people have been extremely helpful. I doubt you can find a nicer community for starting on mission editing :)

Labbes

Post by Labbes »

Clergyman
BLUFOR AT (Don't remember which fireteam)
We approached the town, spotting some enemies near a barn. Unfortunately they spotted us too, so we shot each other up. To my great surprise, my whole fireteam survived it (I think), and we went further into tow only to receive heavy fire from infantry and the BMP. I left my fireteam to look for the BMP, but I couldn't find it. Someone (I want to say Bodge) then led me to it (of course it had been in front of me the whole time, I'm apparently rubbish at differentiating BMPs from walls and trees).
I shot both of my rockets into the enemy BMP. It didn't die (but I got the cannon), the mission ended soon afterwards.

Rolling Bohica
Charlie 3 (I think) AR under glorious FTL Lazer
Charlie was tasked with sweeping through the woods at first, until we spotted enemy infantry in the opposite forest. Charlie proceeded to lay down heavy fire for quite some time, when our fireteam was tasked with taking position in some trees closer to the enemies. Upon arriving there, we succesfully drew way more fire than we could handle and Lazer was shot. We lay down some smoke and Geronimo threw Lazer over his shoulder, while Ice and I covered the retreat (also the rest of Charlie was still pounding away at the enemy). Unfortunately, Lazer had lost too much blood and died, despite our best efforts to revive him. I don't really remember what happened directly afterwards (It took me a while to realize that I was now FTL. Yay.), but some time later our fireteam, again, went to an advance position. This time, however, the enemy was directly in front of us, meaning 20 meters away or so. I have no idea how we didn't see them earlier, but oh well. Geronimo was wounded immediately, while Ice and I shot some guys (Note that Ice probably shot some more guys than I did. I think I got one during that firefight). After a futile attempt to take better cover, I was wounded as well and Ice was dead. For the second time this session, however, I did not die. Instead, Geronimo and I were patched up. The mission was pretty much over though. We tagged along with Charlie and there was an explosion at the end, which was cool.
At one point I thought Strang had died just because I saw a random body lying in the woods, I have no idea how I came to that conclusion. Sherlock Holmes I am not.

CompoundIt
BLUFOR Alpha something, not sure which position. Not that it mattered.
After the Chinook took fire and alarms were going off, I thought this mission was over for me. Sitting in the front seat (not kicking in the back seat), I saw the ground coming closer and didn't even hear Danny shout "bail". Which was probably a good thing, as I would have just plummeted to death. After getting out of the chopper and counting survivors, I made the great plan for the rest of Alpha to get to the nearest cache and pray we would not encounter enemies (first four, later on a fifth. Don't know how that happened). I tried to contact Command, which did not work at all, but to my great surprise the heli pilot of Bravo was still alive and near a cache. He blew his cache up, we blew our cache up, not encountering a single enemy on the way. We then tried to make our way towards him, so he could pick us up in the heli and fly to the last cache. Sadly, we took lots of fire (and well-aimed grenades) and our puny cover was not enough. In hindsight, I probably should have told half the survivors of Alpha to run while providing cover fire; as it was we were just getting shot up.

Roadside II
Alpha 3 FTL
I completely misunderstood our squad leader because I didn't see the second "Alpha" map marker on the map. Meaning I teleported to the wrong position at the start. My fireteam then took cover behind some rocks and scouted for the enemy, while Stoner, for whom the teleportation had not worked, got to us via Humvee. Our SL told Alpha 2 to get to Alpha 3's intended position, so my mistake wasn't too bad.
I spotted two fireteams near the entrance to the town we were supposed to hold and told my guys to open fire. It took the enemy some time to locate us, so we had some seconds of free fire. SL told Alpha 1 to reinforce our position, while the enemy went into cover. Counting the bodies, I was sure we had dealt them at least a heavy blow (although we had a casualty ourselves). Boy, how wrong I was. When I saw two enemies crawling out of cover, I opened fire. I don't think I hit them, but I had to get into cover as soon as they were shooting back, because their aim is slightly better than mine. Command then issued a retreat order, which I tried to follow, but got shot (as did the rest of A1 and A3). I realized my mistake in the dead cam: There had not only been the fireteam we were shooting at, but another one further east, rendering most of the cover we had completely useless.

Swept
BLUFOR Bravo 1 FTL
Bravo was supposed to cover Alpha's advance, meaning we sat on top of the hill giving overwatch. This worked reasonably well for the first few minutes, when we were far away, so we could spot enemies, but not shoot them. I told our SL that we could not engage from this distance, so he relocated B1 to some rocks (I should have realized this would get ugly) closer to the town. Upon arriving there, we were getting shot to pieces, I still have no idea how Indfor managed to do that, they must have flanked us really well. Bravo 2 did not fare any better, as they were trying to get to Alpha, being reduced to one or two guys. Anyway, after my whole fireteam as well as SL got killed near the rocks (Anvil swore he would never go near a rock again), I was chilling up there with m0ntag. Due to our superior skillz, we shot some guys and went down the hill to Alpha. I spotted the one guy (I thought) who were taking fire from in a house and marked it, Skabooga went to take him out. Little did I know, at the time, that everyone else was also in or near that house.
As m0ntag so aptly put it, we didn't check our corners and died.

Then, Cholo. Damdadadadam. I learned that it's the soundtrack of Assault on Precinct 13. Awesome.

Edit: As a little sidenote, the only thing that bugged me a little this session was the Terminator AI during Roadside, otherwise I thought the missions were all really good. I also think my personal goals since starting to play Arma with you guys, meaning learning how: a) not to die so often and b) to actually shoot people in the face can now be considered fulfilled. Yay.

Crocuta

Post by Crocuta »

I know it’s not everyone’s thing, but I could play no-NVG night missions forever. I had a bad hangover yesterday, but I held it together.

Clergyman: INDFOR B1 AT. We flanked around the NW treeline, and made it to the church grounds. We were soon clustered up quite badly and took GP fire. I shot someone coming around the side of the church, and I really hope they weren’t friendly, and then the mission ended. I’d love to try this one out again.

Rolling Bohica Part 2: BLUFOR B3 AAR. I was really looking forward to the conclusion. Moving in to help Alpha take Green Mountain was the highlight, and it was tense stuff seeing what you thought was Alpha before noticing the silhouettes of RPKs. I also killed a few suspicious tree stumps.

CompountIt: BLUFOR B2 AAR. That hill. 0_o At one point I saw the split second silhouette of an RPG round in my face and heard the explosion to my left, so I knew there was someone SE but couldn’t locate them before dying.

Roadside II: OPFOR C2 AR. One of the first to die on the SE mountain. Saw mike’s deadly flanking in spectator, and also someone survive an IED, destroying his cover, before being shot at close range by BLUFOR.

Swept SE: INDFOR A2 AAR. I had a great view of some rocks on the steep hill just north of the road. Got plenty of hits, but no kills (think EBASS mainly cleaned up). As OPFOR got closer I took a GP to the face through the open window. I was down, and crawled downstairs to cover the door. Only had 4 rounds in my mag, and managed to hit someone sprinting by.

Chernolo: Dannysaysno and I managed to kill each other in the factory ..... Dunnn-Dadah-Dadah...... Second round and I was police again ..... Dunnn-Dadah-Dadah ....... Dead ..... Dunnn-Dadah-Dadah ....... I didn’t want to be police a third time ..... Dunnn-Dadah-Dadah ....... Anvil was beeping the horn at montag who seemed to be happy staring around at the sky. I ended up taking the wheel and drove onto train tracks. We got hit from someone on the roof.

Fuel Utopia: Tired and hungover, I accidentally took a CIV command slot and couldn’t get my head around planning anything.