Missions:
  • Holy stones
  • Broneys
  • Into the Sea
  • No man behind
  • Kefirz's- wip
  • Chernolo
  • Bedtime
Lots of death and some nice FT action in holy stones, some random confusion in broneys, combined beauty in into the sea, some men were left behind and then choppers were shot down and so were rozzers. Sa-61s suck.

Thoughts and reports below.

Dogface

Re: [Tue] 19th Feb 2013 (Combined harms)

Post by Dogface »

As ever, a fantastic sweshion. We had at least 45 comrades fighting with us, I think!

Holy Stones - Southfor Fireteam leader (A2?)

A nice quick adverserial fought around the market and mosque in Zargabad. We started south of it, the other team started north. Our FT moved into a building, and from there it became a comical magic roundabout of being shot, revived, running up and down stairs, occasionally firing blindly into the night, and as the punchline, dying. Yeah, we got stomped. :owned: Fun though!

Broneys - IFV 1 gunner

A fast and furious puppeteerial. Kefirz took the helm of three squads and two IFVs tasked to clear a valley and town, with a few diabolical puppeteers controlling squads of AI to stop us. The IFVs started south, but quickly hooked around onto a hill-shoulder east of where the infantry was assaulting from the north. The infantry were soon engaged from the center of town, with the IFVs able to thin them out from a distance until we started taking rocket fire. IFV2 went down, and IFV1 moved around to join Alpha on the western slope.

By this time casualties were mounting and a semi-glorious semi-charge was called for. :hist101: Low on ammo, we went barreling down the hill and into the middle of the town, taking out a few more enemies with Draakon jumping out of the driver's seat to clear buildings with his trusty MP5. The few remaining troops, grouping under Charlie's command, forlornly called for help from the north, but we encountered a rocket before we were able to get to them. Diabolical puppeteer victory! :fry:

We noticed at the end that Draakon (driver) had minus 14 points and I (gunner) had minus 1. I don't remember shooting anything that seemed to have a friendly uniform, and I didn't hear anyone call out that we'd killed anyone with friendly fire (though there may have been a close call or two) -- if we did tag anyone, well... I'll just go stand behind the woodshed. Make it quick. :commissar:

Into the Sea - Deputy Commander

Tigershark stepped into the CO role for this huge combined-arms assault on some strongholds around Berezino, on the coast of Chernarus, and I acted as DC -- in this case, basically a radio-man. I thought this worked really well! Tigershark was able to bring his magnificent brain to bear on the strategy side of things without being battered by comms chatter, while I did my best to filter and pass on information in both directions and take care of some of the lower-level command and coordination, without having to also make internet-life-and-death strategic decisions on the fly. It also meant Tiger could get to the front, look at things directly and focus on particular elements without without having to constantly talk to everyone -- even taking over tactical control of Bravo at one point when things started getting hectic. It also seemed to make things go a little more smoothly when squads and vehicles talked to each other. All in all, this seems like a really useful setup and I'd love if we used it more often. :v:

We started west of the AO with several possible avenues of approach towards two strongholds, one in the town, and one in a nearby lumber mill. We had three squads, plus two IFVs, a tank, engineers, and an attack helo. IFV2, the tank, and Alpha squad took the central route through some woods, while Bravo and IFV1 hooked around them to the south, the aim being to get everyone into position for a simultaneous assault on the first stronghold, Berezino. The chopper took up a position out over the sea, starting to the southeast of the target AO.

The tank was the first casualty, taking a rocket while bravely drawing the wrath of the forces in the town. Though the metal beast burned, the crew made it out and were able to get some fresh air and exercise while joining the infantry assault, and the distraction was enough to let everyone else get safely to their positions, in preparation to assault the town. By this point, the chopper was engaging targets on the beach, destroying a BMP and two T-90s with their hydra missiles, and taking out smatterings of ground troops with their guns.

Once the glorious attack started, the chopper was soon called on to support Bravo who started taking fire from the east, between their treeline and the beach. With IFV1 also supporting them, Bravo eventually managed to take down everyone standing between them and Berezino, and between made it up into the town as Alpha started clearing the western side of it. By this point another tank had been spotted at the stronghold in the town center, so Alpha moved around its north flank to assault the position while the chopper took care of the armour; the IFVs stayed nearby at all times, taking out every Russian who came near.

At this point Berezino was declared clear and attention turned to the lumber mill to the northeast. The attack helo was cleared for a limited rocket-run on the stronghold, but before they could do so IFV2 had already gotten to a good vantage point and was levelling the place with HE fire -- to the point where Tiger had to rein them in to leave some targets for the infantry. (The distant barrage did sound incredible with the JSRS sound mod, though!) Alpha swung north around them to get to a ridgeline west of the target and prepare for the final assault. Bravo also attempted to move up from the south, but were hampered by a batch of peculiarly fanatical and resilient Russian defenders dug into a few small buildings just east of Bravo's assault route. With the chopper unable to clearly confirm targets so close to friendly forces, and the buildings mostly out of sight of the IFVs, they proved a tricky obstacle. Nothing could stop the might of the FA platoon by this point, though, and once they were dealt with the lumberyard was soon swarming with friendlies. Once the crates of equipment there had been rigged to blow, and enough people were walking away from the explosion in slow motion, the win was declared. :coolbert:

Despite the huge number of enemies, through all this we seem to have suffered only about 5 casualties, which speaks volumes about Tigershark's leadership and the competence of everyone else in the platoon. I had loads of fun with this one! I did hear a few reports of chopper fire coming dangerously close to friendlies, but I don't believe it resulted in any casualties so no harm done, I hope. :v:

No man behind - Damselfor 'operator'

Although our numbers went down to 24 after that mammoth of a mission, we still had enough for a quick and cheerful run-through of this new rescue mission. 14ish security contractors found themselves victims of a chopper crash at a randomly-chosen location, with meagre weaponry, but one helo door minigun still operational, able to point between the west and south. A BLUFOR force with a chinook (few in numbers in this run-through) were tasked to find and rescue us before we were overwhelmed by masses of incoming infantry.

With our maps disabled and no clear chain of command, we did some pretty hardcore milling around before eventually sort of scattering ourselves loosely around the chopper, though as were were in the middle of a huge clearing there was precious little cover. Soon enough we started taking fire mostly from the south and west -- beautifully, right in the firing range of the minigun. Finding myself armed with only smoke grenades, I jumped in the gunner's seat, strapped myself in, and started pouring lead into the treelines and the enemy's concealing smoke, soon resulting in a cacophany of return fire hitting the chopper. :clint: More and more rifles and MGs started to appear for every one we took down, but at this point the hum of friendly rotors started to reach us.

Unfortunately this prompted huge volumes of enemy fire directed skywards, followed by a worried cry of "That helo's coming down awfully fast..." Sure enough, with twenty meters to go before touchdown, the chinook's engines started emitting black smoke and died. Thankfully the pilot was able to wrestle it safely down to the ground, and although the chopper was down for the count with no engineers to fix it, the left minigun was at least pointed at the enemy. After blarting out the last of my own minigun's bullets I dashed over from one wrecked chopper to the other, only to catch a fatal bullet in the head right as I ran into the group. So much for safety in numbers!

From here on out there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth, as the two teams enjoyed a reunion tempered by the fact that they were hopelessly surrounded by relentless hordes of armed men, with no chance of escape, and mostly characterised by alternating screams of "No, YOU need to rescue US!" and "ARGHBULLETSTHATWAYFIRE". Needless to say, Prince Harry and prince Wills swooped in in their choppers and saved everyone and they all lived happily ever after everybody died. :laugh:

Kefirz's- wip - INDFOR FTL

A fun take on the Dark Business formula. The Takistanis and US forces were tasked to locate and meet eachother in a large AO with no radio contact or mutual map-markers, and only a limited number of flares, in order to load a Stinger launcher with missiles and take down a Russian helicopter. The Russians' job? Kill everyone before that happened, using the chopper to land troops, while also patrolling the area with a gun-truck.

We had the Stinger launcher (BLUFOR having ze missiles), and started high up at the southwest corner of the AO. Moving onto the lip of a valley overlooking a large plain, and catching sight of an unidentified truck moving into the fog in the distance, we hid among some rocks while our SL ventured out to shoot out a flare, hoping to draw in the BLUFOR -- but hampered by helicopter flybys that soon started to zero in on our position. At this point we crossed the valley to the other side, which seems to have saved our bacon as it put us in a perfect position to ambush the chopper as it made a landing nearby. All troops who landed were handily despatched, with the chopper managing to escape, but damaged.

This seems to have caught BLUFORs attention as they reached us soon afterwards -- but not before we managed to send the chopper, returning for a daring CASEVAC mission, spiralling into the hillside under a barage of good old-fashioned AK and RPK fire. We then blew up the rapidly-approaching guntruck for good measure, to stop it spoiling our gunfire-themed victory rave. :dance:

Chernolo

We stalwart manly cops defended a factory from the low-down no-good rocker scum who tried to put a cholo on us. We cholo'd like our lives depended on it, but they just had too much cholo on their side, and at the end of the day, the cholo went to them, which to be fair, destiny had already foretold. Short and sweet!

As ever, supermassivebigtime thanks to the hosts, the missionmakers, the movers and the shakers who keep this party rolling, and to everyone else for making this community awesome.
Last edited by Dogface on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cuddlefish

Post by Cuddlefish »

Holy Stones - Zozfor Bravo 2 FTL

Some good house to house combat. I got one beautiful GP shot onto a rooftop with two enemies on it that had been pinning down another fireteam, which was probably my biggest 'felt like a badass' moment of the evening. I also had a near friendly fire incident where I thought a friendly less than 40 yards behind me was an enemy from an unexpected direction (because... of... reasons?) and manged to empty half my 74 in rapid-tap semi auto fire before the check fire was sent, heard, and processed fully and I stopped shooting. I didn't hit him once, despite him being just lying prone in an open doorway. If you're going to pick a time to have hilariously bad aim, when you're shooting at a friendly by accident is probably the best one. Our fireteam had been doing pretty well until I tried to advance us in a bounding fashion across an all too wide street - the three members who had survived to that point were all cut down despite our attempts at smoke, and I don't think we ever identified the location of the shooter beyond "from down the road somewhere".

My Little Broney - Bravo 2 FTL again I think

Our element was the first to come under fire [or at least I didn't hear any shots or contact reports before we came under sudden, effective fire], and we were in a nasty position. But, on the bright side, I won the death race! Some of you may have gotten shot first, but when I get shot I don't mess around - I took it right in the head/vitals, while sidestepping and firing full auto as I tried to get my team towards the 'safety' of the just-starting-to-be-fortified house while providing my own cover fire. Bravo 2: First in the fight, first in the ground.

Into the Sea - IFV 2 Gunmmander

This was equal parts a fun mission (my first big one in a 'toy' role) and an object lesson in the potential pitfalls of toy-heavy missions. Between Iceraiser's skilled maneuvering + position selection, and the wonderful combination of accurate weapons, zeroing select capability, laser rangefinders and a quick-toggling thermal scope that the Warrior provides, we were knocking 'em dead for most of the mission, usually with 400+ meter bursts from the chain-gun but occasionally switching up to staccato deployment of our auto-cannon HE to deal with harder to reach targets. x25killa joined the fun shortly after the destruction of the friendly tank, hopping in the commander slot to provide our nasty little gun-wagon a second set of eyes for target identification and gauging the effect of fire, dialing our effectiveness as a weapons platform even higher.

But really that's what in retrospect sort of bothers me about toy missions and my role in this one - I was having a grand old time walking MG bursts across bushes and runners, and double-tapping trucks or covered positions with the auto-cannon, but meanwhile I'm not sure how much actual fighting Draakon and his fellows in Alpha got to have outside of the instances where we couldn't see a damned thing. I didn't realize it when I was engaging the enemy HQ that the Helicopter had been tasked for a pass on, and I don't know if others would have even detected it while there were still targets if I hadn't switched to HE use to pop the truck and then stuck with it for a while after, given how easily one more layer of MG fire blends into the noise of battle. On my end, it really seemed like 'hey look, another squad sized target in the bushes at 700 meters - dialing range, firing MG'. It seemed like just another target whereas from the sound of things it was actually intended to be a significant threat worthy of air support and to an extent the climax of the mission - and I didn't even realize we'd scooped the helicopter until Tiger was congratulating them on their effectiveness and they were like 'Uh, we didn't actually shoot at it yet, boss".

I'm glad he had the insight to tell us to cool things down, because if we'd kept pounding it's possible there wouldn't have been much mission left for the rest of you - not as a tooting our horn thing [well, if I'm honest with myself maybe a tiny bit] but just as a matter of how trivial it is for an emplaced vehicle with good infantry cover (which Alpha squad did an absolutely professional job of providing for us) to lay waste to opposition otherwise worthy of an entire FA platoon so long as they don't have a good AT asset in position. Which is a nice shooting gallery for the guy in the gunner slot, and may or may not be a pretty fun time for the driver and commander as well, can't say on that one due to lack of experience, but I'd imagine it's a touch boring for the boots on the ground who are necessary to make it happen but don't actually get to be much involved in the fun stuff beyond watching it happen and taking in the sounds and visual effects.

And that got a lot longer than I was planning on somewhere around the line. Quick additional notes before I cut thus off - Tiger, I'd like to second the celebration of your tactical efforts here. Incredibly impressive stuff, especially now that I've dipped by toe in the command waters enough to know it's really freaking hard to come up with and implement good material on the fly. I also think that having a DC to help with the communications seemed like it really helped keep things coordinated, and I completely buy that it contributed to how well this operation went together in both planning and execution on all ends. As far as the elephant in the room: From our position the last bit of cannon fire seemed pretty close relative to prior bursts, but any view of the impact point was completely blocked by a rise in the terrain. Particularly in light of the fact that there were AFAIK no resultant injuries, I think there's nothing for anyone to gain from wrangling with it further. Hell, even if it had been a serious cluster-funtime that left Blufor limbs scattered across half a block - even the professionals fuck up from time to time, particularly in close-in engagements. Mistakes can happen, and it's done. I mean, I did a hell of a lot worse in terms of team-targeting in the first mission as mentioned above, it just never became an issue because it was with an AK rather than a 30mm cannon.

This 'quick note' also appears to have spiraled way out of control. Must just be in that sort of mood today.

Don't have much to say about the last few (though I was proud of the flanking run-and-gun I pulled to take out Mamba in Chernolo) and this post has swelled rather out of proportion, so I'll cut things here.

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Into the Sea

CO- Me (tigershark)
DC- Dogface
ASL -Bodge
BSL - Draakon
Helo - Zitron/Macaco

Let me start by saying that the performance of the leadership on all levels is what made this mission the outstanding success it was. The SLs did an excellent job of achieving their broadly defined objectives using their own experience and decision making on the ground. It was impressive to see people move to their objectives using bounding, deviating slightly from markers to make the most of terrain whilst avoiding threats, and discipline. The discipline showed in the opening stages of the mission whilst waited to get setup for the assault was a key success factor and I applaud everyone for their patience here.

The helo did a excellent job of overwatch and even though I asked for them to move in a bit closer sometime I also appreciated their automnomy in selecting the right positions, popping up and target prioritisation. Same can be said for the IFVs.

I saw the jokes in the chat about Tiger dying with the plan but it was intentional to brief the SLs only on the plan. My intention here is always to get the SL's to "buy into" the plan. They were given broad objectives with some operational guidelines and restrictions and then it was up to them to go and brief their squads. People still get briefed but they are briefed only the parts relevant to them and given a plan laid out to them by their leader, the SL.

In addition, Dogface played an excellent role as DC. One we should entertain more on missions of a large scale and with a large player count. Having him help coordinate the elements meant I was able to perch on elevated ground to view the battelfield and concentrate on squad movement and responding to EI reports. I was also able to spot enemy for both Bravo and Alpha and collect Intel from the helo to reassign movement as appropriate. Dogface also showed great initiative in taking care of some lower level decision making that would have distracted me from the primary task of conquering objectives whilst keeping you all alive.

I think Dogface summarised the benefits of this approach well, and I'm not saying this would work for every mission type but it does lend itself well to large scale combined arms missions. As Dogface mentioned, it was good to be able to take over some hairier tactical situations by issuing orders over side VON but I left most of the comms to DC and, I could tell a lot of decision making. In turn, we left Bravo and Alpha alone a lot to do their tasks and hope they appreciated the lack of micro management.

A couple of observations:
  • Alpha moved very well. At one point I called out that a tank was in Berezino. Later when I went into Berzino I noticed it was a statue :siiigh: That could be why the helo was not seeing any armor in there.
  • Bravo's movement was slower than I was expecting and needed to pushed a couple of times. There may have been good reasons at one point they were on a hill and stalled because they were taking sporadic fire. Fire and movement would have helped here.
  • Whilst micro managing squads can be counterproductive, it was very useful retasking IFVs, tanks and helos based on the changing battlefield. I would encourage future COs to trust more in their SLs and pay more attention to the distribution of their supporting assets to make sure their squads can achieve objectives with few casualties.
  • IFVs were sometime a little slow to respond. At one point I was calling for an urgent shift of IFV1s position to intercept EI that were bearing down on Bravo. They took a lot of time to respond. This could have been due to comms overload though.
This was a fun mission to command and just an outstanding effort by everyone involved. It was quite a sight seeing you move around the battlefield from my over watch position and having a DC was a godsend and really helps the CO focus. I echo Dogface's comments that we should entertain this setup more regularly. I only regret not having FRAPS turned on but to be honest I never anticipated commanding last night. Will need to put it on by default from now on.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

I'll go for my AAR later. I might sound like a dick here, and I hate to ruin the party, but from my point of view as Bravo Medic, Into the Sea was probably the most boring mission ever played in a session. The only fun I had was for about three minutes, in the end, just in front of the lumber mill, when we took accurate fire for the very first time in the mission.
The rest of it was just slowly advancing, probably mopping up after the massive overkill, (needless to say, as a medic, I only saw one fireteam of enemies in the distance for the entire mission, and never got to shoot a single round), and simulating combat excitment by stalling when we would hear one poor bullet whizzing by.
Even in the end, when we did take a few casualties, and had our only comms fuck up, I can say for sure that we had just gone complacent in light of the total lack of action we'd seen.

Now, I have no idea how many kills the toys racked up compared to the infantry, and if it was just the case for Bravo, or even bad appreciation from myself, but i'll repeat what I said some time ago: toys, in my opinion, do make the infantry job boring if overused/used in missions that were not specifically made to deal with them.

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

Holy stones
Daf's fireteam (is best fireteam) AAR. I think Alpha 1? Northern force.

We were supposed to move to the other side of town but were under fire pretty soon and took some casualties (including daf). I thought Syn was next up in the chain of command, but I think because he might've been injured it was me. It took me a REALLY long time to notice this. By which time most other squads had been wiped out, and it turns out I was "in command", and was totally unprepared for it. I thought it was all going to be like fun shootout in the market square.

Either way, with Strang covering to the south-west with his MG, I made my way to the market in the middle of the square and proceeded to get shot in the face. Strang then went on a beautiful killing spree behind enemy lines! Huzzah for Strang!

Broneys

I decided I wanted to be as far away from command as possible after Holy Stones, so I went for Charlie 1 AAR. The mission went so damned well that I ended up in charge of the entire operation (4 members of Charlie squad and one IFV). The last orders I had from Kefirz and Macaco from Bravo were to regroup way up north, so we beat a hasty retreat. But by then Macaco was dead. So we turned back southwards and charged gloriously into the sunset. After which I got shot (gloriously) and crawled to the rest of the survivors. One of them (m0ntag?) got shot on the other side of the valley, but we cleared a little compound with AI infantry in the buildings 'afore the mission was called.

We were pinned down for most of the mission, it was tense as heck!

Then I had to go :( I'm really sad I missed the colossal operation that came later :(

Terminal Boy

Post by Terminal Boy »

Was very late to join after having to re-install Op. A.

Game ran flawlessly at a particularly bourgeois frame rate which was partially my undoing.. I was so busy looking at the shiny scenery that I completely forgot about the enemy at least twice.

Apologies for having no Tx in TS3. Pressing the T key is doing odd things at the moment. Channel switching, Rx and VON worked fine though.

No Man Behind:

Given the dire tales of helicopter related carnage on FA, I was happy to arrive alive at the SF heli crash site. Having the choice between staying prone, but being unable to return fire or crouching and getting hit was not so much fun.

This is where STHud would have helped as I had no idea where the enemy fire was coming from and even less idea which one of the writhing and groaning wounded was comrade Bodge, my FTL who I should have been saving..

Despite watching days worth of ShackTac missions, I hadn't appreciated that the AI enemy would start engaging us when they were only 1 pixel on the horizon or that they used comrade-seeking bullets.

We Buy Missiles! Much Cheapness!(Dark Business?):

The only mission I survived and I actually managed to provide some support for my FTL (Macaco) and even got to shoot one of the naughty Russians.

I almost damaged state property (underwear, itchy, 1 pair) when I was caught out in the open by the first enemy helicopter and had to pretend to be a rock.

Assault On Factory 13:

My understanding was that Politburo had ruled that attempting to exit a moving vehicle was forbidden on the grounds that suicide is against socialist principles.

So, comrades, you can imagine my surprise when comrade Draakon leapt majestically from our HiLux and into the assault without even touching the brake pedal. In fact, I was so impressed that I completely forgot to follow his example and was still sat in the passenger seat of said HiLux when it hit a Hesco barrier and exploded.

Sniper Team 1 & 2:

1. I foolishly believed I had time to place a satchel charge in the road before the enemy arrived.

Spawn > "Oo, a satchel charge. How handy!" > run 5 yards > dead in 5 seconds.

2. Spawn > run > hide worked better.

Poking head around 3rd floor doorway to shoot enemy attracted laser accurate fire from 3 directions. Dead. Again.

See you on Sunday!

Macaco

Post by Macaco »

Holy stones
CO Northfor

Simple mission with a simple plan, sweep the AO and kill everyone. I made my way to the cache and fought off a couple attackers, however I tossed frag that bounced and I ran out of cover to not get blown up. Then I got shot. Luckily my minions went on to succeed anyways.

Group o' brony
BSL Peoplefor

We moved into the AO and immediately started getting shot up by sneaky AI. I lost most of my men in the first attack, and the rest quickly thereafter. I was shot and brought back 3 or 4 times. We attempted to pull back out of the AO but couldn't move without getting shot. Eventually I saw a break in the fire and moved to the last seen position of the enemy. Took out one person on a ridge, then moved got to come cover and tried to find some targets. I think I may have gotten one or two before they got me.

Into the Sea
AH1 Gunner

This was a fun mission. Had some trouble finding valid targets and eventually settled for lobbing cannon rounds at infantry. Armor targets I could hit just fine with the hellfires and I was able to take out a few T90s and a BMP-3. Any time Zitron tried to take us in closer to get some good cannon or rocket shots we started taking heavy fire and he got us out of there. By the end of mission our engines where orange. I tried to engage as best I could targets that I could find with thermals and reach with cannons. Ranging only went up to 1200 and I was trying to engage at 1500+ so hold was a whole lot of guess work. I didn't do a very good job communicating with zitron with where we needed to be positioned so at times we weren't in great positions, but as a pilot I hate back seat pilots so I try to not do it myself. Near the end we got yelled at for engaging friendlies, even though I was firing 500m+ north of any friendly positions so I'm still not sure what that is about. Good mission all in all.

No man behind
I can't recall exactly. I was on the group that needed saving

Took fire from the south shortly after start. Our rescuers flew past us to the north then turned around and came in to get use. They lost engines in the process so we all ended up dying together, as one big happy family. We'll have to see how it goes with more players thought, should be interesting.

WIP
Ind CO

My plan was to get to good cover, then signal blufor and wait in cover for them to show up while hiding from OPs chopper. The plan didn't really work and it was quickly changed to "lure in OP and just shoot them down with guns" and that worked much better. OP landed and dropped of a team that wasn't quite in full cover so we wiped them out. Wasn't able to kill the chopper though. It came back and we hit it with everything we had which took it down. The shooting and explosion drew in BLU and we all got together to dance and trade stinger missiles. Then a truck randomly showed up and blu + ind all turned at once lit it the fuck up :fry: They were dead in about half a second. I almost felt bad for them.

Bodge

Post by Bodge »

Black Mamba wrote:I'll go for my AAR later. I might sound like a dick here, and I hate to ruin the party, but from my point of view as Bravo Medic, Into the Sea was probably the most boring mission ever played in a session. The only fun I had was for about three minutes, in the end, just in front of the lumber mill, when we took accurate fire for the very first time in the mission.
The rest of it was just slowly advancing, probably mopping up after the massive overkill, (needless to say, as a medic, I only saw one fireteam of enemies in the distance for the entire mission, and never got to shoot a single round), and simulating combat excitment by stalling when we would hear one poor bullet whizzing by.
Even in the end, when we did take a few casualties, and had our only comms fuck up, I can say for sure that we had just gone complacent in light of the total lack of action we'd seen.

Now, I have no idea how many kills the toys racked up compared to the infantry, and if it was just the case for Bravo, or even bad appreciation from myself, but i'll repeat what I said some time ago: toys, in my opinion, do make the infantry job boring if overused/used in missions that were not specifically made to deal with them.

I think the chopper made the mission a bit too much of a walk for bravo, Alpha definitely had infantry contacts to deal with after entering berezino til the end of mission. The toy heavy approach was a bit of an experiment on a mission that has frequently turned into a meat grinder. Also the fact that Tiger chose a good approach to the target that has not been tried before meant the infantry were not as exposed as they have been in the past.

Macaco

Post by Macaco »

That's odd because I didn't really feel like I was helping much. The one or two targets that where called in I couldn't get sight on to fire, or I couldn't fire without risking hitting friendlies with ricochets, so I spent a lot of time just engaging random heat blips on the thermals. I was actually thinking a fixed wing would be a bit better for it because it has higher attack angles which means less issues with buildings, and it is faster moving which means less issues with getting pegged by RPGs and MGs when going in for attack runs, and also that it can't just sit there firing missiles without moving. Would let the two forces coordinate fire better while stopping the CAS from being as overpowered