[Tue] 23 April 2013 (Happy Bodgeday)

Post by Bodge »

Missions:
  • 2days to retirement Berezino
  • Arrival SE
  • Compound it SE
  • The Generals
  • Cleanup operation
Thanks for tonight, it was reasonably quiet but a pleasant affair. We got through a mighty chunk of missions with a mighty chunk of death. Just one thing SLOT IN LEAD ROLES FASTER! plz, ta.

Tigershark

Re: [Tue] 23 April 2013 (Happy Bodgeday)

Post by Tigershark »

I feel like I should apologise once again for the clusterfuck that was CompoundIt last night. I was having an off day clearly.
The plan itself wasn't all bad (although Draakon quite rightly points out that we approach the target zone from too much open ground) but the execution was poor and I had little in the way of back up plan for when things went FUBAR.

We done to the OPFOR defending but I think days of even numbers on both sides fro this mission will dissapear until Blufor can get a few notches on their belt. The mortars are not a balance breaker. They are far too inaccurate to be a real concern but they are a valuable psychological weapon and add atmosphere for the Blufor as they come under fire.

I think it is more a case of that we are getting better as players and that defenders already have an slight advantage. So I think we numbers in Blufor to slightly increase.
Also been thinking of a little rewrite that would make BAF into SF and perhaps use LB's. Still thinking about so lets see. Need to iron out any issues in this as I really love this mission.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Doofling

Post by Doofling »

For now just Arrival SE, I'll do the other ones later on.

Was deployed as B1 FTL with Kefirz, Steven and Mouse joining me.
After the initial crazy running from the C130s we were holding the far north eastern side of the airfield, which went fairly well.
(Cinematic moment with the tank crushing the walls just by us to roll past our sorry asses, I thought we were all dead for sure)
We proceeded to go north, then west from the airfields gates and sometime in between Toppo, our SL, got killed. This left me to do the Squad-leading, which is something I hadn't exactly assumed would happen; it was something entirely new to me (This was my 3rd or 4th try to lead a Fire-team after all).
I left Kefirz in command of B1 (thanks Kefirz!) and tried to remember what I learned in the one Workshop session I managed to attend so far: Bounding movement!
Mainly though, I tried to keep up with people from two different channels telling me things that I should listen to, at once.
Command wanted us to bound north-west to attack one of the missions objectives, the village Sultansafe from the north east, so I did my best to keep a level head and bounded in said direction. After an explosion took out most of B1 (which was already smaller in numbers due to me being SL), I was left with 1 Fireteam plus the 2 attachments; I quickly decided to keep on bounding, but I had to use the 2 attachments (HMG and HAT) as an impromptu Fireteam for that to happen, I hope that went alright.
Sometime after, Draakon, our current CO who had taken over from SuperÜ, got shot.
I was the new CO.
More confusion! :psyboom:
My plan was to form a Semi-circle around Sultansafe to then stage a simultaneous attack on the village with all remaining forces (which is probably similar to what SuperÜ and Draakon had had in mind). That proved to be more difficult than I had expected though, as Charlie and Alpha in the south seemed to face significantly heavier resistance than Bravo in the north did.
Especially Alpha seemed to have a difficult time and after I had left Bravo waiting close to the village while Charlie was getting closer and closer, I ordered the charge, with Alpha hopefully covering to the south.
Charlie joined Bravo from the south of the village shortly after and when I didn't hear any shots and Bodge (happy Birthday!) asked me if I wanted to call the mission, I said yes.

Looking back on it, I may have been proceeding too quickly, especially with contacts still in the south on the airfield.
On the other hand, I didn't want to be drawn into a long-lasting stand off with forces that weren't really our objective to defeat, especially since defeating them would have drawn us into the wrong direction (south, that is).
It also proved very difficult for me to keep track of the situation of my respective squads. I tried to ask a question whenever I felt unsure about how they were doing and especially looking back on the footage daf recorded, I did much more of that than my predecessors. That sounds like a cool thing at first until you remember the communications-mess that the job of being SL already is, without the CO asking you what's up every 2 minutes.
From a tactical standpoint I probably should have left Bravo waiting with the assault on the town, but seeing as they had already waited for what felt to me like quite some time and I didn't want to bore them to death, I thought ordering the charge prematurely was a better idea from a session perspective.
All in all, this was one of the best (read: challenging) missions that I've played with FA or Arma2 or maybe even games in general so far.
I hope that the people under my command had fun as well and me learning on the job wasn't too frustrating.
I would greatly appreciate any feedback for my FTLing, SLing and COing (I even started my own thread for that, which the party rightfully took down quickly.)
As I said above, AARs for the other missions will follow.

Dabbo

Post by Dabbo »

Happy Birthday Bodge!

Two Days To Retirement
:cop: Police Force - Bravo 1 Fire Team Leader (FTL)
-- Walter
-- Sek
-- AntlerOwl

The outbound journey in our police cars (no siren??) was uneventful, our glorious CO directed us to drive up North and then disembark and approach the Berezino to the South. Some communication issues on my part (bad hearing) and I thought the CO was calling out A1 and not B1, also I was using Channel Commander to reply but our CO wasn't using it so he couldn't hear me :/

We moved into town, and I split my team into 2. Red Team (Sek + AntlerOwl) went around the back of the supermarket and me and Walter stormed the front - no-one was there - all OK so far. We moved closer to the next target building, which happened to be a pub, however Alpha was in trouble and CO ordered us to approach and support - completely ignoring the Pub. Once we ran around seeing no contacts, we returned back to the Pub to see if we can clear it out.

I think the Pub was guarded by 2-3 tangos, they took my entire fire-team out - Bravo was now a one man team, alone, I traded my hand-gun for a Uzi - spray and pray. I pretty much didn't do much for the rest of the mission, following the CO whilst the other teams cleared the remaining buildings (warehouses/barns).

The mission was a success, although I feel I failed my Fire Team when breaching the Pub - need to work on my tactics and communication.

Arrival SE
BluFor - Bravo 2 Fire Team Leader (FTL)
-- Tired Hippo
-- AntlerOwl
-- ShuGGler

Another attempt at FTLing. We started the mission in a hot zone, trying to put a foot hold in the compound near the Airport. Our team were taking targets out from the North East - Tank!! A suicidal tank breached the compound and it got lit up by every BluFor in sight, it went up gloriously almost taking a few curious BluFor men standing near it as it exploded! I was shot at one point where AntlerOwl came to my rescue :)

Eventually we were tasked with pushing forwards, which meant running across open ground and finding cover in the hills to our north with very little cover. We just ran about attacking various enemy infantry, no moving much, whilst other teams were in fire fights and getting killed. Somehow, lots of people died and I ended up becoming Bravo Squad Leader, taking command of the last few men of Bravo 1 and attachments.

The CO pushed us towards the objective, we took the town and won - this time, I didn't lose any of my team mates and I did a little bit of Squad Leading. Scary stuff.
:clint:

Everyone in my team (including the new subordinates when I became BSL) were really great and communicating with me, spotting, giving bearings and just killing those pesky enemy infantry. Made my job easy.
:coolbert:

Personal Kills:
-- 3x Militiamen
-- Automatic Rifleman
-- Team Leader
(No Casualties)

Other Missions
:siiigh:
I used Fraps to help with my terrible memory for the AAR. I can't remember the other missions as I fluffed up the recording of them.

Bodge

Post by Bodge »

Thought I would post some thoughts on how I thought the missions went, leadership and such.

2 Days til retirement
Bodge was - acting Alpha Squad lead (A1 FTL), Tigershark as A2 FTL.

The CO's plan was clear and fairly straightforward which is generally a good thing for an Adv. As we know plans often don't last long and a simpler plan allows for more flexibility.

*Stage 1* The elements moved in a steady sweep N to SE through the town, Alpha eventually encountered significant resistance on the Western side of town moving into..

*Stage 2* Alpha moved on the targets taking a couple of wounds but the enemy resistance was easily out-gunned, Alpha elements eventually aided in the envelopment of a pocket of resistance at the pub. So far the plan had worked smoothly.

*Stage 3* I reorientated Alpha to face SE towards the long barn buildings that had not been included in the sweep and we bounded forwards with A2 moving to the Eastern side of the buildings to provide another angle of attack. A1 (me) spotted some infantry while holding south of the target and engaged them wounding one. When the rest of the platoon caught up Alpha moved in on two fronts (A1 (Bodge) from South West and A2 (Tiger) from South East) swiftly clearing the resistance within the buildings firing in through doorways and windows.

From BluFor's perspective it went very smoothly, particularly the first and third stages. The initial sweep mainly went smoothly due to the lack of contact, Alpha had one enemy contact that was taken down. When we moved into stage 2 there was a bit of muddled communication from my part I didn't get a good handle on where the hostiles were engaging us from. I got several ambiguous/conflicting reports and then foolishly got myself wounded. If enemy numbers had of been higher we might have had issues.

We cleared the rest of our side of town and then moved to suppress Bravo's target on CO's orders. Alpha then were without task while the pub was cleared, here I feel the CO got a bit too close to the action and might have benefited from slight distance from the action to direct the whole platoon more effectively. As it happens it didn't really matter too much.

I requested we moved alpha to position themselves ready to assault the final buildings which we did promptly, there was a slight interruption as I took shots at a hostile who poked his head out, he had seen A1 watching and I didn't want him seeing A2 too early. When the rest of the platoon regrouped with us it allowed us to move in while having cover from friendlies. Tiger's men were in an excellent position to observe the barns and their entrances and ours could get very close before being spotted due to vegetation, this allowed a fast simultaneous assault that proved to be very effective.

Thoughts - If Opfor had of had more mobile units we would have found things much more difficult. Defensive positions were well chosen but we had a lot of time to get ourselves positioned well and assault on our terms. Even one roaming fireteam would have given us significant problems when combined with the defenders.

- BluFor communication under fire nearly caused us issues.

- Clear commanding and a decent amount of flexibility for an SL allowed us to take the initiative.

tired hippo

Post by tired hippo »

Happy Bodgeday