[Tue] 27 Aug 2013 (Tactical Tuesday)

How we died
SuperU

[Tue] 27 Aug 2013 (Tactical Tuesday)

Post by SuperU »

Couple of old a new faces this session good to see you all and welcome!

With a humble 36 players we first tackled two days to retirement which saw x25killa return to ask the question which should never be asked, we then moved on to comrade hero Wilson's Doctor Doctor which saw some hardcore 3 way action (we saw what you did tiger!), blufor died when scotty beamed the indefor rebels down a bit too late, in the end opfor won, but only just! From here it was time to hit the road with cherno rabbit which saw IFV crew 1 blow up in all the partys replacement LAVs it sent in, and finally we ended with fuel raid where even zitrons contact report on global couldnt slow his team down I also think killa sniffed too much of the petrol!
  • Two days to retirement
  • Doctor Doctor
  • Cherno Rabbit
  • Fuel Raid

boberro

Re: [Tue] 27 Aug 2013 (Tactical Tuesday)

Post by boberro »

Our angel Moon Moon being beautiful.
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

dancemoox

Post by dancemoox »

Two Days to Retirement

I was employed by Bodge on other Party activities securing funding for a secret project that may or may not involve hovercrafts.. Several million fake dollars were secured for the Party in a great success..

Doctor Doctor - Indiefor Alpha 2 FTL - Pr3sario AR Ebass AAR StrangLove AT

Having attended the required Party approved lectures on teleportation and defence against the dark arts I was able to get A2 into position on the TP marker getting our boots on the ground first. I dispatched Pr3sario and Ebass to an easterly building and got myself and Strang set up in our own before reporting in that we'd secured structures north of the town as planned. We held in place as A1 had its teleportation difficulties fixed and had a lovely view of the Bluefor Blackhawk coming in for a landing and dropping its chalk off, reporting it landing and that it was right on the TP marker I received orders to hold fire.. Opfor were still unaware of us but were quite aware of Bluefor moving 100m north of us, we took incoming fire directed at Bluefor and Strang was hit. I moved onto the ground floor to patch him up and by that time the rest of Alpha had arrived. With requests for assistance from A1 I moved out of my building and flung two grenades down into the Bluefor blob and fired on a man moving by the compound wall. I was killed seconds later.

Cherno Rabbit - Alpha Squad Medic

Hands up if you were not treated by me in this mission.. I did my best keeping everyone alive, we lost some guys outright but I don't think I lost a man under my care. At some point ASL Audiox was killed, I never saw what happened. One moment I was tending to the wounded in A3 and the next when moving back to A1/2 I found myself marked as ASL. I was wounded twice first when Washington asked me to check him out, my witty reply angered the malpractice gods and I was hit. The second time I took cover beside a low wall near Bodge and was shoot from the north west. IceRaiser carried my body onwards to victory and his re-animation laboratory. I'm now relaxing at our farm on Altis brewing moonshine and tending to our respective moustaches.

<placeholder for some more moon moon tv - if the frame rate is watchable>

Fuel Raid - Indie For Alpha FTL - Dan X25Killa Pickers

We were tasked with holding the fuel station and sniffing the petrol within, MMG SuperU was ask left with us to man the cashiers desk. Bravo FTL reported enemy movement moving in between his split fireteam, moving towards us. I thought I was ready looking for silhouettes on the hill to the south, when suddenly an non local appeared six feet from me between the cars. He wounded me rather badly and that was the last of him I saw. Pickers picked me up and I was alive for around twenty more seconds before being shot again. Last moments of my life were used making sure Dan and Killa were still alive and defending the supermarket, they were until a large explosion went off..
ramming speed!

Mamuto

Post by Mamuto »

Doctor Doctor was my first time commanding.. And boy did things get FUBAR'd or what.

Initial plan was to insert from the NorthEast and hide in buildings until Bluefor engaged Opfor, then sweep in and take everyone out in dirty hand to hand combat.
And it totally would have worked except for two things: Alpha 1 FTL did not attend Party sponsored Teleportation Seminars and Bluefor decided to insert from the very same direction as us. Alpha 1 finally managed to teleport in, but it was right on top of the enemy fireteam fresh off the helicopter. With element of surprise completely ruined, Alpha 2 and myself had no choice but to go and help out. A2 FTL died, I was wounded but at least we managed to take out the whole Bluefor ground team. Sometime during this fight, the rest of A2 ran Southwest to join Alpha 3 (against orders, if I may add :argh: :commissar: ) and with my final breath I told them to assault the town together. Which, once again, Alpha 2 disregarded and ran off into the forest to get shot at and die. Hilarity ensued as RPG's were fired point blank at hostages..

Lesson learned, things don't always go how you'd like them to.. Or even remotely near how one might think they might go. :dance:

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

Mamuto wrote:Sometime during this fight, the rest of A2 ran Southwest to join Alpha 3 (against orders, if I may add :argh: :commissar:)
You will recall the conversation we had over Team Speak where I, as A2 FTL, told you that we had been engaged from an unknown location on route to our current position. As you were asking us to double back and cross the same space I recommended that you didn't make us cross the same open expanse of land where we would inevitably die. Not the mention the black hawk that was lighting up our location. I suggest that instead of getting :argh: about it in the future that you listen to the information from the FTL who is on the ground and has an understanding of the situation in their immediate location. Occasionally, you will hear "negative" over the radio... It happens.
Mamuto wrote:and with my final breath I told them to assault the town together. Which, once again, Alpha 2 disregarded and ran off into the forest to get shot at and die.
Once you were dead you weren't in charge any more so we disregarded any previous orders and we got new orders to move in from the south from the new CO.
I make videos starring you lot. To see yourself live or die just click here

Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Doctor Doctor - A3 RPG

After most of A1 & A2 got chewed up by Bluefor and their helo, A3 got the order to assault the town, as we reached a junction in the road near the location where the doctor was being held and we could hear Opfor talking in VON. Unfortunately the FTL and AR got taken out leaving the acting CO - 25xkilla and myself.

Victory wasn't achievable but hilarity was. So I requested permission for a suicide run, once the appropriate paper work was signed off authorising a glory charge I unslung my RPG and moved towards the voices - a few shots pinged off the ground around me as I moved down the road forcing me to duck into some shops. Once outside the compound I could hear the voices so I stepped around the corner saw an OPFOR soldier and then fired the RPG point blank in his face. :dance: I think the proximity to the blast or another OPFOR chap wounded me, and as the hostage stepped over to where the crater that was once one of his captors was I yelled "Victory! Glory to Aziz" and was promptly finished off.

Needless to say I was utterly giddy at the successful use of RPGs for CQB. :dance: My only regrets are that I did not fraps it and that I didn't accidentally kill the hostage with the blast.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Two Days to Retirement
Alpha 1 FTL - Zitron, Mamba, Xenu

A1 were to assault from the west. We did. Everybody else died, and then we died too.

Doctor Doctor
OPFOR CO - A1 : Phoenix, A2 : awaitz, A3 : Croc

Wait a minute. You mean we get to hide behind these nice walls whilst Blufor and Indfor have to infiltrate us? Happy days.
I put a fireteam to the northeast, one to the north, and one to the south with orders to retreat when engaged by the enemy. The plan was to huddle together and take it easy whilst drawing whomever wanted into a fight in the centre of the village. A3 managed to find a totally sweet place for the Ammo truck, and SuperU got to hang out in a safehouse with me.
It worked quite all right. awaitz and gang were the first to engage Blufor, and that firefight went back and forth for a bit. I told them to withdraw, and it seems to have worked, as not many Blufor were left. (Or so it seemed.)
Croc and A3 got some contacts to the as well, and i started using the remnants of A2 as a moving team to provide extra assistance to whomever was under the most stress.
A3 and Phoenix got something going to the south as well, but since i thought whomever was left was Indfor, and since the hostage was of no importance to them, moving A1 up to support A3/2 became necessary. This seems to have worked since we won.
Unfortunately somebody managed to blow me up along the way. Maybe i shouldn't have given the hostage a chemistry set to play with.....

Cherno Rabbit
Alpha SL A1 : awaitz, A2 : MrLink, A3 : Bodge

Alpha had an easy time in the beginning of this mission. Whilst Bravo were exposed and got shot up pretty bad all Alpha had to do was to enter and secure a little hamlet. Which provided us with the wonders of hard cover. Alpha 1 got shot up a bit? (Where did those men get lost?) and got to be more of a free form element. A2 and 3 got us a little hamlet and things stalled. Lots of stuff to the north, and a failed advance by Bravo meant that not much happened for a while. In the end i grew kind of bored and sent Alpha 3 up the road to the northwest in order to get into the forest. A1/2 followed suit, and the area we ended up in was safer than most.
By this time CO Draakon had decided to watch from the sky instead, so i was now enjoying the lead of Alpha, remnants of Bravo, an IFV, and a Tank. Yay! :hist101:

Bravo and the tank finally managed to disentangle themselves from the position east of the hamlet, and started their slow move towards Alphas advanced position. We advanced slowly towards the end of that forest section and i intended to set up at the edge of the forest in order to slow things down and get all elements in line.
Which might have worked if it hadn't been for the tank and the IFV deciding that moving forwards from the edge of the forest was a good idea. :commissar: Granted, some comms might have been misunderstood, but that was pretty annoying since we were finally a functioning force again, and that move caused us to fall completely apart. :bang: (Or at least i pretty much lost it then.....)
All of a sudden comms are lit up by reports of T-?? tanks everywhere and SPGs galore. Kudos to tank and IFV and anybody else who managed to get rid of those targets with nary a scratch. Thereafter things got a bit too confusing, i ordered Alpha to advance through some pretty insecure terrain, Bravo was somewhere to my west, and the tank was acting as an independent spear of the operation. I tried to run after the tank, and got shot in the face.

This was one of the times when commanding a disorganized force was actually fun. There was a LOT going on, and my fireteams managed to do what they were told with impressive efficiency.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Audiox, I understand the frustration. But, let's clarify the situation a bit (I was the Rabbit driver/driver-commander/one-man-Rabbit).
At this point we had already lost our Commander to still unclear circumstances. So Kale and I had to work with a pretty bad situationnal awareness in the first place. In these circumstances, driving a sixty ton half-blind tincan in the middle of the infantry platoon is less than optimal, which is why I tried to always keep a bit of distance.

Secondly, even though our primary objective was to not die, we were an important asset, especially when it came to dealing with tanks and providing long range optics. To do that, you need to be in suitable positions with room to maneuver if (when) things go wrong. Several times during the mission (and the particular moment you noted was one of them), we were assigned positions that were not exactly good. The map doesn't tell you that, but driving the damn thing while constantly switching to the commander seat sort of helps in that matter.
That particular position had our movement hindered by trees, no form of cover whatsoever, 100 meters visibility to the front, and two friendly fireteams moving behind us, in our biggest blind spot.
I think, and I note that the IFV made the same choice, that moving a hundred meters forward, out of the woods, to take advantage of a small rise to get in a hull down position was a good decision at the time. (Now, I'm not saying that actual footage of the mission wouldn't prove me wrong. It just felt right at the time)

The comms were busy but working quite well from my perspective, so I didn't want to add too much to the chaos and decided not to explain those decisions while in game. That may have been a mistake.

Later, I would lose Kale (I think I heard him telling me he was wounded, but didn't realize at the time. By the time I backed all the way up into cover, he was gone), make a trip all the way back to the starting position to repair, get a new driver in the person of Croc, get yelled at some more by the new CO for being a few meters out of the woods, then go for an all out beeline rush towards the airfield and victory.

Edit: Also, don't be late for teleporting. As a mission maker, it's not really possible anymore to limit the teleport action to 30 seconds due to the long loading times of a full FA platoon, but teleporting should be a done thing by your 10 first seconds in game.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Mamba. Yeah, my situational awareness wasn't the best at the time. Contour lines, and any understanding of the environment on the right side of the road had long since disappeared. :oops: I didn't know you were down to two in the tin can either. That could've been fixed pretty easily....

Yeah, from a situational awareness perspective you made sort of the right decision. But by not telling me you and the IFV ended up messing my situational awareness up beyond repair, which is no fun when you're commanding.
Basically, i should have been more clear when i set up those markers so that everybody understood that the idea was to hunker down and catch our breath for a bit. Since i didn't, i have to take some blame here.

dancemoox

Post by dancemoox »

This is the extended cut of Cherno Rabbit from my perspective. I warn you it's a long one so get comfortable ;)

ramming speed!