[Mission feedback] Cholo Episode 2

Kill your comrades. Wholesale
zitron

[Mission feedback] Cholo Episode 2

Post by zitron »

My original idea was to make Cholo into a slightly more serious mission for more people. Of course this would not work if people played it in the same style as the original. Which is a bit of a problem because the lack of any planning was the point of Cholo. As it is right now I think it works ok as a quick fun adv that is sort of in between a proper mission and an after party one, as a last mission of the session kind of thing.

Changes I will be making for V2:
- Changing gang member appearances to rockers due to popular demand
- Changed one of the UN helos to MH-6J to make roof-top insertions easier
- Drastically reduced the ammo of the UH-1Y to 2 Hydras (it was meant to be for aerial surveillance with it's on-board optics, I couldn't get the observer for the AH-6X to work)

The rockets in the UH-1Y are there as a deterrent to prevent the gang from just killing the hostages out-right.

Anvilfolk

Re: [Mission feedback] Cholo Episode 2

Post by Anvilfolk »

After the playthrough I have to say I enjoyed this mission a bunch (playing as attacking team). There are several possible approaches, lots of interesting buildings nearby. I guess it might be easy for the defenders to get pinned down though. Still, good fun :) I think I might have some video for it "soon" :)

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

I liked it a lot! (Well, I died right at the beginning, but anyway). The time I played it it ended in a big coordinated assault on the building via the rooftop and the front entrance. The attackers took their time getting to that point but that's not due to the map. Bravo!

zitron

Post by zitron »

After another play through ending in UN win, I decided Aziz needs some help. For V3, I changed the SPG to ZU-23, and gave the gang IEDs. Also reduced the rocket ammo for the UN Helos to 2, but kept the UH-1. I think the MH-6 is a bit out of place and can't defend itself.

I tried to change the appearance of the gangs to rockers, but that seem to be buggy. So they will stay the same.

link here: https://sites.google.com/site/zitronfil ... rgabad.pbo

Edit: oh also included script fix from Fer.
Last edited by zitron on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

I played as ATTACKFOR a few times, and as DEFENDFOR once. It definitely seems that ATTACKFOR has the advantage here. The emplacements on top of the roof are really exposed and people knowing their position makes it really easy for them to be suppressed.

One suggestion would be to randomise their position a bit, so that ATTACKFOR doesn't know where they will need to suppress from the very start. Perhaps even place them on nearby buildings?

Also, the IEDs sound like a great idea for ambushes and for stalling the ATTACKFOR advance. Perhaps some ambushes can be used to thin them out :)

Regarding player balance. That building is really claustrophobic and not really amazingly defensive. You mostly stay in there until the baddies are at the door, and then it's really 1:1 effectiveness ratio. Perhaps a more even number of players in each side might be better suited?

Oh, I also couldn't turn the roof-top emplacement towards the road where the enemies were coming from. It seems like it has limited turn capabilities. Do I just no know how to handle it? Perhaps you could turn it towards the general ATTACKFOR direction?

zitron

Post by zitron »

Yeah I tried adding KORD bags so that the players can decide where to place defences themselves, but as it turned out the A2 units can't use backpacks. The mission was designed to be slotted more or less evenly, with slightly more UN, I guess people think it's like cholo, so more UN is slotted.

I replaced the roof top SPG with a ZU, which has 360 (with scope) anti-everything capability, hopefully it won't be too OP.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

It is very exposed - whoever gets assigned to gun on it is pretty much going on a suicide mission, because one person can only watch so many directions at once. And putting a security team up there is just begging for someone to lob a GP right onto their heads. And Anvil, again with that nasty "random" word *tsk tsk tsk* :P Randomization in x,y,z coordinates ain't too bad, but you've also got to mark where it is for defending force not to have to spend 5 minutes looking for the blasted thing.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

Heheheh :)

You can still pick a random location out of a list of possible, handpicked locations, right? I think you should also be able to put a mark on the map for players on DEFENDFOR regarding where it is.

When I say random I don't mean completely random, of course. I just mean that the attackers shouldn't know the disposition of important enemy assets every mission :)