[Mission Feedback / Testing required] Rasman Clash v1

Kill your comrades. Wholesale
tryteyker

[Mission Feedback / Testing required] Rasman Clash v1

Post by tryteyker »

Hey,

so those of you who've been helping me out in Skype Chat probably know what this is about. This mission is my first MP mission (and it's been a hassle even with minimal scripting involved so far) so don't expect alot of it, it might not even be balanced properly.

(I updated the mission thanks to the early feedback provided by Ferrard)

So what's it all about?

It's a 3-sided adversarial. Not a fair one, though.
We have OPFOR, BLUFOR and Independent (Takistani Locals).

BLUFOR consists of a full infantry platoon + transport vehicles and a Recon Helo (MH-6J Little Bird, no guns) and they start at Feruz Abad.
OPFOR consists of a full infantry platoon, nothing else, and they start at Rasman Airfield.
Independent consists of 20 super brave comrades ready to die equipped with a Lee Enfield & 2 magazines, and they start in Rasman.

What's each side supposed to do?

For OPFOR, the mission consists of destroying the ammo boxes found around town (they'll have to look for them), and shoot Independent (if they find them). They should optimally also hold the town from BLUFOR.
For BLUFOR, this is a straight forward task, and that task is to retake Rasman.
Independent have one general and one specialized objective. The general objective is to eliminate as many OPFOR's as possible whilst staying alive. The specialized objective is to eliminate OPFORs CO and DC.

There are weapon crates throughout town, and Independent has map markers helping them out.
Generally OPFOR should not mindlessly shoot civilians since Independent is clearly visible most of the time. (Well, optimally they're going to stay hidden)
Independent does not have any map markers and there are no groups, every single soldier is on it's own (until they join eachother via group join action).

BLUFOR and Independent are neutral towards eachother, so both sides are allowed to shoot eachother if they so desire (but it's suicide for Independent)
BLUFOR has 57 units.
OPFOR has 46.
Independent has 20.

When does each side lose?
OPFOR loses if they are unable to hold the town. They do not lose when their CO or DC die, however I expect the defense to be harder if Indfor and Blufor work together.
BLUFOR loses if they get killed completely or if they are forced to retreat from the town.
Indfor loses if their Warlords get taken out or if they get eliminated completely.

So when does each side win?
OPFOR wins when they managed to destroy the ammo boxes all over town & repel the BLUFOR attack (alternatively kill ever Indfor member & BLUFOR)
BLUFOR wins if they are able to regain control of the town with atleast 30% of their forces still remaining (this equals roughly 17 people)
INDFOR win if their Warlords survive & if they survive until OPFOR has been completely eliminated.

Independent is supposed to act fast here, shooting, then getting out of there. An open conflict with OPFOR is suicide, remember that.
BLUFOR is the only side with a JIP squad. This is supposed to be somewhat of a reinforcement squad but doesn't have to be used.
OPFOR has no reinforcement (JIP squad) and no attachments, and their main objective is to focus on finding the ammo boxes and destroy them (with grenades or something).

Nobody gets any pre-defined map markers except Independent (ammo box markers), so nobody knows when or how BLUFOR will hit. Use that to your advantage :)

Mission file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?7zcm0crjkkyjzcn

I hope to get some feedback after Sunday or whenever this gets played.
Last edited by tryteyker on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ferrard Carson

Re: [Mission Feedback / Testing required] Rasman Clash v1

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Looks really interesting! Concerns, critiques, and suggestions follow below! (Disclaimer: I offer these as advice in terms of making a multiplayer mission along the lines that I usually pursue - some may go in a completely different direction than you desire, and you can take or leave any of it)
tryteyker wrote:BLUFOR consists of a full infantry platoon + transport vehicles and a Recon Helo (MH-6J Little Bird, no guns) and they start at Feruz Abad.
OPFOR consists of a full infantry platoon, nothing else, and they start at Rasman Airfield.
Independent consists of 20 super brave comrades ready to die equipped with a Lee Enfield & 2 magazines, and they start in Rasman.
Be sure to note in the description a preferred balance ratio for hosts to know about as they slot the mission.
tryteyker wrote:The specialized objective is to eliminate OPFORs CO and DC.
So if BluFor ventilates the OpFor CO and DC, then IndFor wins? Could be a short mission, especially since we usually don't slot the DC.
tryteyker wrote:Generally OPFOR should not mindlessly shoot civilians since Independent is clearly visible most of the time. (Well, optimally they're going to stay hidden)
If there's any possibility that IndFor might hide as or resemble civilians, then I guarantee you that players will shoot civilians.
tryteyker wrote:Independent does not have any map markers and there are no groups, every single soldier is on it's own (until they join eachother via group join action).
This is troublesome in terms of the bad form of chaos, because you're asking groups to form ad hoc leadership elements in the game without any guidelines beforehand. You might want to just disable the "in Formation" bit thing and scatter each fireteam across the town rather than rely on the group-join function.
tryteyker wrote:BLUFOR and Independent are neutral towards eachother, so both sides are allowed to shoot eachother if they so desire (but it's suicide for Independent)
There's only "unfriendly" or "friendly" as options - you can't make them neutral. Consider them allied, but with different objectives.
tryteyker wrote:BLUFOR has 57 units.
OPFOR has 46.
Independent has 20.
Again, make sure that hosts have a good idea how to balance this.
tryteyker wrote:Independent is supposed to act fast here, shooting, then getting out of there. An open conflict with OPFOR is suicide, remember that.
Folk ARPS as a rule doesn't do "skirmishing" well. Expect force-on-force engagements anyways.
tryteyker wrote:BLUFOR is the only side with a JIP squad. This is supposed to be somewhat of a reinforcement squad but doesn't have to be used.
OPFOR has no reinforcement (JIP squad) and no attachments, and their main objective is to focus on finding the ammo boxes and destroy them (with grenades or something).
JIP in adversarial is troublesome, and requires a loooot of coordination to make sure one person doesn't drive an MTVR up to the front and leave 10 other people stranded.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

tryteyker

Post by tryteyker »

Ferrard Carson wrote:
tryteyker wrote:BLUFOR consists of a full infantry platoon + transport vehicles and a Recon Helo (MH-6J Little Bird, no guns) and they start at Feruz Abad.
Be sure to note in the description a preferred balance ratio for hosts to know about as they slot the mission.
Preferred balance here would be a full Independent team, and so that BLUFOR has a 5-6 player advantage.
Ferrard Carson wrote:
tryteyker wrote:The specialized objective is to eliminate OPFORs CO and DC.
So if BluFor ventilates the OpFor CO and DC, then IndFor wins? Could be a short mission, especially since we usually don't slot the DC.
Generally they do, yes, as.. lets say the "backstory" to this is that Independent wishes to eliminate OPFOR as they are occupying their village with force more or less.
Ferrard Carson wrote:
tryteyker wrote:Generally OPFOR should not mindlessly shoot civilians since Independent is clearly visible most of the time. (Well, optimally they're going to stay hidden)
If there's any possibility that IndFor might hide as or resemble civilians, then I guarantee you that players will shoot civilians.
Well, Independent start with Lee Enfields. Whether they want to drop them or not is their thing, but as daf pointed out in skype chat earlier that might not be a good idea since a player distinguishes himself from civilians.
Ferrard Carson wrote:
tryteyker wrote:Independent does not have any map markers and there are no groups, every single soldier is on it's own (until they join eachother via group join action).
This is troublesome in terms of the bad form of chaos, because you're asking groups to form ad hoc leadership elements in the game without any guidelines beforehand. You might want to just disable the "in Formation" bit thing and scatter each fireteam across the town rather than rely on the group-join function.
I will think about this actually. I just didn't like the fact that people could just use STHUD or other various mods to find eachother, but considering they all have a Lee Enfield..
An idea that pops into my head when thinking about this is have 4 man fireteams and basically 2 leaders in 1 Fireteam (generally just like our regular platoons but limited), and custom gear (Lee Enfields).
Ferrard Carson wrote:
tryteyker wrote:BLUFOR and Independent are neutral towards eachother, so both sides are allowed to shoot eachother if they so desire (but it's suicide for Independent)
There's only "unfriendly" or "friendly" as options - you can't make them neutral. Consider them allied, but with different objectives.
Well, I like the term neutral. If BLUFOR sees an Independent shooting towards their direction they're obviously going to shoot back, but before that nobody is doing anything against eachother. I'd say that's pretty neutral :P
Ferrard Carson wrote:
tryteyker wrote:Independent is supposed to act fast here, shooting, then getting out of there. An open conflict with OPFOR is suicide, remember that.
Folk ARPS as a rule doesn't do "skirmishing" well. Expect force-on-force engagements anyways.
Well that's up to them, I'm just saying it's suicide. How this mission gets played out is entirely up to the different COs.
Ferrard Carson wrote:
tryteyker wrote:BLUFOR is the only side with a JIP squad. This is supposed to be somewhat of a reinforcement squad but doesn't have to be used.
JIP in adversarial is troublesome, and requires a loooot of coordination to make sure one person doesn't drive an MTVR up to the front and leave 10 other people stranded.
Well, I was merely saying that BLUFOR only gets it as reinforcement kind of thing, but they are not forced to use this.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

The reason I mentioned making sure hosts know how to balance this is that you've got 123 slots laid out here: A playercount of 70 is considered high for us. The rule being "Fill IndFor, then do OpFor / BluFor 1:1" is going to lead to a combined 30 BluFor / IndFor vs. 10 OpFor with our "average" numbers. Ratios are what you really need to clearly identify, and I'd imagine they should fit something like 2:2:1, BluFor, OpFor, IndFor. OpFor has the early numbers advantage against poorly-equipped IndFor, but once BluFor arrives, the balance swings the other way.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

tryteyker

Post by tryteyker »

Alright so I have made some changes according to your feedback.

IndFor now consists of the following:

Warlord 1 + Warlord Assistant (CO + Medic, just that the medic isn't a medic)
Warlord 2 + Warlord Assistant (DC? Warlord 2 can be either DC or Alpha 1 Squad leader, up to CO)

TK Local Leader 1 (Alpha 1 FTL)
TK Local 2 (A1)
TK Local 3 (A1)
TK Local 4 (A1)

TK Local Leader 2 (Alpha 2 FTL)
TK Local 2 (A2)
TK Local 3 (A2)
TK Local 4 (A2)

This rounds up to 12 players in Indfor. The rest will be able to balance evenly between OPFOR and BLUFOR.

I have also changed the layout of IndFor as you can see above, so there is now some structure. Players won't be seeing mapmarkers however (disabled ST Markers aswell). I will reupload the mission and update the main post shortly.

tryteyker

Post by tryteyker »

Could a host please update this mission to the server? I will be able to stick around for Sundays after party and I'd like to see this mission played on Sunday (if possible) so I can get feedback directly. Thanks <3