What should a DCS night be like?

Some comrades believe they can touch the sky

Moderator: oldhosts

audiox
Host

What should a DCS night be like?

Post by audiox »

Ok.

As of right now we have approx. 6-7 guys who seems to think the SU25T is worth giving a go in a multiplayer setting. That is way cool, and thanks for showing up and blowing up stuff.

What i'd like to use this thread for is to develop a general idea about how structured we want such nights to be. As of right now we are all kinda busy just getting our bearings in this jet, and we don't really have any standards for how anything at all is approached. That kinda works, and in the spirit of low intensity/effort fun it works quite well. But is that the point we want to stay at when it comes to flight? Its something of a loaded question, but regardless, hear me out.

1. Do we want flights with roles and flight leads?
2. Do we want a comms standard?
3. Do we want to keep the "unlimited respawn" standard, or do we want higher stakes in that regard as well?

That was the three immediate questions on my mind, i'll answer them below myself, but i'd really like to get the input from the people who have attended thus far, so we can make these sessions as engaging as possible.

audiox
Host

Re: What should [FA Flight] be?

Post by audiox »

1. Personally, i think flights with roles and leads are pretty cool. The one problem i have is that i have NO IDEA what standards are for tasking, targeting and communication in general when you do these kind of things. Using the loose format of an [FA Flight] session to set this up would be tons of fun. I don't know what works, i don't know what i am capable of, i have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA about what actual SOP is so it would to an extent be an experiment in self-organization. (Hint : Since i still do FA you can assume i'm into those...! ;) )

2. As of right now we have no idea what to say and when to say it. These standards tend to develop along the way when somebody takes charge of the flight lead, but for right now i'd rather we just gently bump into one another with our different ways of addressing things.

3. I'd really like a "higher stakes" flight. As of right now we tend to run straight into the killzone as fast as we can whilst not worrying about anything. And until you reflexively relate to the Radar Warning Receiver that makes a certain sense. I'd be content doing it as we do it right now for a while yet, the systems are many and tricky, but over time i'd like us to get into the habit of playing defensively.

General : Over time i might like to transition this into one early evening "learning" flight, and then one evening "tactics" flight. As of right now we're just trying to get our bearings, so please give some feedback on whether or not that sounds ok.

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

1. As I previously mentioned, a Goose & Maverick type of situation would be cool, where we would split into ''fireteams'' and do some damage.

2. Since we are not that many (6-7), I would keep comms open, if after some operations we will see the need to change stuff... we can always change stuff.

3. Unlimited lives and Perma-death are 2 extremes, maybe we could experiment with lives.... for example 3 for each? Kind of depends on the length of the mission.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

2. I don't mean closed/open comms, i rather mean "agreed upon terms for stuff that happens, and what should be noted when it happens". As of now we fly about alone and do our things, and that is kinda cool since we all are rather new to the setup and keybinds, but over time we might, or might not, want to make it a case of "this is how you describe this, this is how you describe that".