Lessons on Preventing Party Disunity

Epic fail avoidance
Ferrard Carson

Lessons on Preventing Party Disunity

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Clustering

:eng101: : What's wrong with this picture?

:v: : I see dead people.
:eng101: : Yep. Count 'em, and you'll see that there are 10 people all within a circle not wider than 5 meters.

Crossing

:zoidberg: : What am I about to do wrong here?
:v: : You're about to cross Kefirz's line of fire when he's ready to pull the trigger.
:zoidberg: : WOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOP!
:psyboom:
:eng101: : Now that my estranged colleague has run off and gotten friendly-fired, let's look at it from the shooter's perspective.

:eng101: : Now you are model party citizen!

:eng101: : Now you are Waffly!
:v: : Can't I just hold my fire when someone's in my sights?
:eng101: : Keep in mind that there were literally milliseconds between those last two screen-shots. If I had pulled da trigger when I had a clear sight picture, I would have deprived audiox his ability to procreate!

:eng101: So now you know, and now hopefully you won't end up like this fellow here: :commissar:

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

fer

Re: Lessons on Preventing Party Disunity

Post by fer »

Excellent work, comrade - the Party fully endorses this line of information sharing. Fields of fire within a fireteam and - perhaps most important of all - situational awareness might be good topics to return to in a future instructional comic strip. Not that the Party is suggesting that its programme of education has in any way failed to address the issue of illiteracy amongst the agrarian classes.

:v:

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

:eng101: A further lesson on preventing Party Disunity, as presented by the convalescent Ferrard Carson, recuperating in the Rasman Airfield Mash. This footage from his helmet cam speaks for itself.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Ferrard, I thought twe agreed that thing never happened. You're in some big trouble, my friend.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

:zoidberg: BlackMamba, the party knows all! I tried to stay quiet, I did! But they wouldn't perform surger... ah, I mean, let me watch TV, unless I surrendered my helmet-cam! I would never betray a comrade like that, but it hurt so bad-- to have to miss Jersey Shore, I mean. Yes. Please put that pistol down, Commissar...

~ Ferrard

fer

Post by fer »

Ferrard Carson wrote:the party knows all!
It absolutely does.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

After the very-near friendly fire yesterday, I figured I should update this with another lesson on Preventing Party Disunity:

How to call in Close Air Support such that you don't schwack the wrong guys.

First off, for the most detailed look into the matter that's still relevant to ArmA, I can do no better than to point you to the "Close Air Support" section of Dslyecxi's TTP2. It groans a bit under some burdensome brevity terms that aren't really needed in a typical FA operation, but it's extremely comprehensive.

To summarize the salient points though:

When calling in CAS, be ready to tell your pilot the following information at the bare minimum:
  • What's the target?
  • Where are friendly forces?
  • What landmarks will guide the pilot away from friendlies and onto the target? (Remember, these need to be clearly visible from the air!)
  • What's the terrain around the target?
  • Are there anti-air defenses around the area?
All this information is important to how the pilot performs their attack run. Using this information alone, the pilot could feasibly come up with an attack run that suits everything, and in a high-intensity situation where you've got to shoot someone rather than talk, then that's exactly what they should do. If, however, you have the time to yak a little more, you, the guy calling in air support, can help your pilot immensely.

A good Forward Air Controller gives their pilot a complete tasking, simplifying the pilot's task such that all they have to do is follow the FAC's instructions and await a BDA from the ground. An example would be:

"Hey Special_Soup, I got a target marked CAS1 for you. There's an enemy MMG team atop the hill due west of Team 1's current position. Approach down the valley from the south and egress northeast to orbit. You'll have friendlies 600m to your left and enemies to your right, but no effective anti-air to worry about. Look for tracers heading right to left across your nose from the top of that hill. Use cannon and save your rockets for a bigger target."

The South-to-North attack run brings Special Soup's L-39 in on a slashing run such that he's not shooting towards or over friendlies at any point - this is important, because cannon rounds ricochet and rockets can drop short quite easily - both of which are bad when an over/under of 1-degree might mean hitting friendlies. I picked South-to-North because this way he can see any potential AA / SAMs as they're fired at him upon approach. An egress of Northeast lets him loop behind friendly lines in relatively safe territory, though it comes at the cost of exposing his tail to any enemy MANPADs during egress. Tracer fire from the enemy MMG team is visible from the air, and combined with a good idea of where friendly and enemy forces are, serve as a good indicator of "what to hit". As to selecting weapons, an MMG team is soft - no need for rockets when one on-target 10-round-burst of 23mm will do the trick.

Thank you if you've been diligent enough to read this far! Hopefully this will lead to more effective fireworks without friendlies on the wrong end of them!

:clint: ~ Ferrard