Folk Workshops

Epic fail avoidance
Ferrard Carson

Re: Folk Workshops

Post by Ferrard Carson »

No workshop today, due to Tiger and I consummating our... Oh, that's not to be aired publicly? Okie-day, whatever you say sweetums.

There shall be the Explosives Range, opening up at least at 7, possibly beforehand if some of us get incredibly bored :dance:

We will resume regularly scheduled workshopping and programs! Soon(tm)!

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Dannysaysnoo

Post by Dannysaysnoo »

Workshop today? :D

fer

Post by fer »

Dannysaysnoo wrote:Workshop today? :D
Yes - there's a reminder in the Steam group as well.

Siaynoq

Post by Siaynoq »

fer wrote:
Dannysaysnoo wrote:Workshop today? :D
Yes - there's a reminder in the Steam group as well.
I can't find the Steam group (only the one for mod Saturdays...). When do we begin? :roll:

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

One hour before the session, as usual, I guess.

fer

Post by fer »

For now, this page is your friend: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/folkarps#events

Dannysaysnoo

Post by Dannysaysnoo »

fer wrote:For now, this page is your friend: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/folkarps#events
Also, we are your friends.

All of us.

ALL.

Macaco

Post by Macaco »

will it be a standard "BLUE MOVE!" workshop, or anything out of the ordinary?

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Well, after yesterday's awesome Roadside, there's one thing that I would like to see covered in the workshops: Reaction to contact, at a squad level and a FT level.
Basically, those are some points I'd think could be improved:
- First reaction (Move to cover or return fire immediately)
- Use of Smoke.
- Contact reports
- Setting of a hasty base of fire
- Transition to assault
- And various tips for the FTLs and SLs

Yesterday's ambush showed that although we're getting good at attacking positions, we still kinda freeze when coming under unexpected fire. Also, in more usual (attack) coops, when the squad comes under fire, I usually have some trouble returning fire immediately due to:
a) not being in a good position
b) having friendlies moving all over the place in my line of fire (which is a problem especially when you're the AR).

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Here are a few tips for you:
-Once you hear shots rattling, get on your belly and assess the situation, it is imperative that you respond with fire (you can't just sit there on your belly and wait for something to magically happen).
-If you can't see anything change your position and/or stance.
-If you are a FTL you need to decide if your team can take out the opposition:
*If yes then establish suppressive fire and move by bounding.
*If no then fall back by bounding and use smoke if necessary to conceal your movements.
-After the engagement assess your men, their health and ammo count.
-Call in those enemies to your superiors.

Smoke is used for concealing movement, or in some cases marking targets (the mission where we had an A10 and they marked targets for their CAS, kudos to the guy who thought of it so fast).
The rest of the points really need more than a one workshop session to go through them.

P.S some things I would like to add, but they don't specifically count as reaction to fire.
-When patrolling you have to be checking your surroundings and thinking, ''if we get under fire, where I can run for cover?'' , the place where you run for cover shouldn't be more than 5m away if it is further than that just get on your belly.
-Always talk to your FTL, or SL or CO, it greatly increases your and your team's chances of survival because you can actually be coordinated and the FTL will know that you copied his order, besides it is really frustrating if you are in charge and nobody talks to you, I mean the other day I was asking guys (I don't want to say their names here), if they had C4 and on one occasion if the AT guy could shoot a Ural, all I got was silence... I mean come on speak, even it it's bad news it's still news that I need to hear.

Don't be shy, we won't bite you.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott