Folk Workshops

Epic fail avoidance
boberro

Re: Folk Workshops

Post by boberro »

inb4:

Anyways, was yesterdays workshop a great success?
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

Thirith

Post by Thirith »

Is the plan that there'll be workshops every Sunday from now on?
"Until now we scraped along the ground like rats, but from now on, we soar. Like eagles. Yeah. LIKE EAGLES... ON... POGO STICKS." - Grim Fandango

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

I vote yay on all counts. Yay to everything!

I particularly liked the larger-scale maneuver excercise that more closely reflected the type of movements we typically make in-session, but even the regular bounding course was a distinct improvement. Fer's instruction was as illuminating as always and is highly recommended to anyone, new or experienced, looking to improve their game. I also enjoyed the pretty lights and colours.

fer

Post by fer »

Dogface wrote:IFer's instruction ...
You mean, of course, Ferrard, no?

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Wait... you aren't alter-egos, sharing one body but not one accent?

Thirith

Post by Thirith »

Thanks for yesterday's workshop - during which I suspect I was a big reason why Boberro wasn't too happy with the first exercise. It probably didn't help that for some reason my attempt to rearm failed, so during one of the exercises I ran out of ammo. I nearly started going "Bangbangbang! Bang!" into my microphone but decided that my fellow teammates would have seen that as adding insult to injury.

Two questions following from yesterday's workshop:

1) While we were laying down suppression fire, I found it quite difficult to understand some of the commands, mainly because MG fire is pretty frickin' loud. How do people handle this in general? I could adjust the volumes, but I wouldn't want to do so to the point where gunfire is a polite, quiet background noise. Part of my enjoyment of the game comes from how visceral and intense it is during firefights.

2) When we did the CQC training, at the beginning A1 and A2 both stacked up to the left and the right of the entrance. Both teams then entered at the same time. Is that how it should be handled? In the situation I felt that there were too many friendlies in a very small space, with a big risk of friendly fire.
"Until now we scraped along the ground like rats, but from now on, we soar. Like eagles. Yeah. LIKE EAGLES... ON... POGO STICKS." - Grim Fandango

boberro

Post by boberro »

Don't worry with me not being happy, as I never am :D
I had problems with hearing what people say myself, so now I keep effects volume in arma below 20% (in vanilla sound is crap anyway, and shots fired are still very loud, only thing I seem to be missing is car engines).
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

Thirith

Post by Thirith »

It'd be interesting to hear what exactly you weren't happy with, boberro. Was it primarily that we didn't do what you wanted us to do, or that we didn't do it when you told us? When we did the second run at the firing range, there was a long period when Roe and I were behind the sandbags and I was waiting to hear from you - but for all I know you did call for one of us to join you repeatedly. There was definitely a bit of a disconnect there, but I'd find it useful to get your version of it.

boberro

Post by boberro »

First try at range was ok, I guess, and there was no problems course but on the second try it was as if no one heard anything at all.
I asked you to stay on the left side, but you joined us on bunker - ok, my pronunciation may not be clear enough and it was loud.
But then I said "AR is set, Roe we're moving" and after a while I found out I'm alone under the wall. "Guys, be ready to move, I'm deploying smoke, reload and join me" - nothing. I called both of you out few times, at least once when you were reloading but with no luck. So I made my character sit down with head in arms as I was doing the same thing on my side of the screen.
I really have no idea what happened back there, as I did not change anything on my side after this one.