Folk Workshop AAR 21st Oct 2012 - Routine

Epic fail avoidance
Ferrard Carson

Folk Workshop AAR 21st Oct 2012 - Routine

Post by Ferrard Carson »

With a low initial turnout of 6 (including a comatose Mike), I ran the fireteams through previously conducted drills. Fire and movement down a street-sized target range, Humvee procedure, intersection crossing, and alley clearance. More folk showed up as the session went along, and time permitted us to re-start and let more people join in on the alley clearing exercise, but if you intend on attending, please get here on time, neh?

The basics were solid though.

Fire and maneuver went well. Two things to remember:
- Stick with your Battle-Buddy. AT Riflemen, that means you stick with the FTL. AAR, that means you stick with your AR. Wherever they go is where you go unless otherwise directed, and it doesn't really matter what your FTL says - you stick with your Battle-Buddy unless ordered not to.
- Announce when you are set. Your FTL is busy firing his weapon and waiting for your cue. The millisecond you can lay down effective fire, say "set" into your microphone, preferably while pressing your push-to-talk key.

Vehicle usage went very well.
- Mounting went quickly and fluidly (as a note - when there are multiple fire-teams, the last person aboard on each fire-team should shout "Alpha 2, all on" or "Bravo 1, mounted" or something similar. Or, the FTL can pay attention to his ShackTac HUD and make the announcement to let the driver / pilot know that your fire team is ready to move.
- Dismounting went extremely well - all sectors were immediately covered after the dismount. I'm not sure how well you did with 3D security, but you did have eyes at all points on the compass

Street crossing went very well also.
- Respective corners were pied and then covered while the other half made it across and then covered for the first half.
- This isn't required, but I would recommend one person give a count of "Turning in 3, 2, 1, mark!" so as to minimize the amount of time that no-one is looking down either street.

Alley clearance went well.
- Common threat locations to the side and rear were watched for, and I rarely was able to get off a shot before being lit up.
- 3D security needs a little work - I was able to "kill" three dudes from the rooftop at the end of the alley before anyone noticed me, and the guy who finally saw me was one of the ones who would have been down and bleeding, and none of his shots actually connected. Still, it went remarkably well for having been introduced only one workshop ago.

After that, Fer crashed or something and his AI murdered three trainees before someone brought the serial killer under control.

Oops :clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

fer

Re: Folk Workshop AAR 21st Oct 2012 - Routine

Post by fer »

Ferrard Carson wrote:After that, Fer crashed or something and his AI murdered three trainees before someone brought the serial killer under control.
Sorry about that, I had to disconnect unexpectedly. Apologies too to the comrade I shot to death in the dismounting drill. I had not meant to be quite so zealous in my use of the AK. However, it's worth re-stating how you got shot: if you take shelter in one of the spaces under a shop that opens out into the courtyard on the other side of the building (away from the street), but face down the street itself, you're super vulnerable to being shot from the side.

Looking out for people on rooftops / high windows is really hard, but vital in TvT - in the run-through of Westside last Sunday, a single comrade on a rooftop with an M-16 was able to kill a large number of opposition players as they dismounted from vehicles in a street.

Well done to comrade Carson for running the workshop, and thank you to all comrades who attended. :v: