40mm Sight guide

Epic fail avoidance
Macaco

40mm Sight guide

Post by Macaco »

after being incredibly frustrated with how much I suck at grenade launchers I decided to spend some time learning. The following is the data I gathered.

Distance is in Meters and it applies to all grenade launchers that I tested. M16, M4, AK, M32 etc etc. The iron sight values only apply to the M16 obviously.

Ferrard Carson

Re: 40mm Sight guide

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Huh... your 150 mark on the crosshairs is just about where I put my sights for 200 meter shots. Maybe a little above. Maybe that's why my smokes didn't work all that well in Swept :lol:

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

On the other hand, if you really want to stop messing around with unsuitable sights, you could use this.

harakka

Post by harakka »

Our comrades at the CiA warfighting laboratories have already researched the subject extensively, here are the results. The enlarged images work if you remove the extra slash at the end of URL. There's also an AT sights guide done by the same gentleman, carefully wrapped into an addon for your in-game reference needs by Mike.
Me and him, we're from different ancient tribes. Now we're both almost extinct. Sometimes you gotta stick with the ancient ways, the old school ways. I know you understand me.

Macaco

Post by Macaco »

Forgot to mention all the work was done on the RPS server in VTS on Utes. They also seem to be about the same for smokes as I was able to reliably put on in a window.
Black Mamba wrote:On the other hand, if you really want to stop messing around with unsuitable sights, you could use this.
Does that work with all the launchers? Might have to give it a try.
harakka wrote:Our comrades at the CiA warfighting laboratories have already research the subject extensively, here are the results. The enlarged images work if you remove the extra slash at the end of URL. There's also an AT sights guide done by the same gentleman, carefully wrapped into an addon for your in-game reference needs by Mike.
That guide doesn't have the main crosshair ranges which was what I was really concerned with. Regarding the AT addon, I already have that. It has saved me from embracing myself with an RPG many a time.

harakka

Post by harakka »

Macaco wrote:That guide doesn't have the main crosshair ranges which was what I was really concerned with.
Good point, noted.
Me and him, we're from different ancient tribes. Now we're both almost extinct. Sometimes you gotta stick with the ancient ways, the old school ways. I know you understand me.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Macaco wrote:Does that work with all the launchers? Might have to give it a try.
With all grenade launchers, yes. I use it all the time, it's really useful.

Cuddlefish

Post by Cuddlefish »

Just gave it a spin in the editor - with accurate range data so easy to come by (just hit space, after all) it's extremely effective. I was getting first time hits on my helpful AI fire-team targets, usually causing a near wipe of the fire-team with the capability to follow up rapidly as needed. On the one hand it's beautiful to see the grenade launcher being as vicious as it should be, but I'm a bit concerned as to its fairness in adversarial missions given the massive increase in effectiveness it can provide.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Cuddlefish wrote:Just gave it a spin in the editor - with accurate range data so easy to come by (just hit space, after all) it's extremely effective. I was getting first time hits on my helpful AI fire-team targets, usually causing a near wipe of the fire-team with the capability to follow up rapidly as needed. On the one hand it's beautiful to see the grenade launcher being as vicious as it should be, but I'm a bit concerned as to its fairness in adversarial missions given the massive increase in effectiveness it can provide.
Both sides have it in the standard loadouts, and a good mission maker will account for it if the mission is asymmetrical - it's a question of how effectively people employ their UGL's. Hopefully this guide helps; everyone's got access to the forums, everyone's got access to the editor, and I'm actually in the process of making a "firing range" map that we can toss on the server for multiplayer range practice. Also, if people don't bunch up, then suddenly it's not as effective as you'd think :dance:

Still, it's good to see people learn more about the tools at our disposal!

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Macaco

Post by Macaco »

Cuddlefish wrote:with accurate range data so easy to come by (just hit space, after all)
I'm glad it worked for you. For what it's worth range data on buildings isn't perfectly accurate. it tells you the distance to that "unit" which means the exact center of it, not the wall you are aiming at. I got all the ranges with an in game rangefinder.