CAS/FAC Discussion

Epic fail avoidance
Macaco

Re: CAS/FAC Discussion

Post by Macaco »

idk where you bought your manpad from but 3km won't save you from much.

I'm a competent pilot and jtac :clint: , but we don't have it that often so meh.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

zitron wrote: Maybe we need like a pilot and FAC competence test like in shacktac, and only the approved people can take part in these specific types of missions.
I need to say i'm totally against this. Everybody must be allowed to take any role, and I believe this is still one of the founding principles of the community.

Dannysaysnoo

Post by Dannysaysnoo »

Black Mamba wrote:
zitron wrote: Maybe we need like a pilot and FAC competence test like in shacktac, and only the approved people can take part in these specific types of missions.
I need to say i'm totally against this. Everybody must be allowed to take any role, and I believe this is still one of the founding principles of the community.
I'm with Zitron. I've had people take chopper roles before, and completely flub it. :E

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Testing for competence? Such blasphemy against The Party - surely you don't suggest that The Party would ever place someone in a jet without the proper education on what all them fancy switches do! The Party, after all, knows best, and obviously the only thing required to fly is sufficient patriotism!

More seriously though - no, we're never going to require a "test" to do any particular role. Some people will be better at particular roles than others - so long as we are mature and permit other people a turn at toy-slots, then everyone's happy - even if the toys tend to end in fireballs. If mission-makers figure out a way to include CAS, then I might consider coming up with a workshop course for that, but at the moment, a CAS workshop wouldn't actually be that helpful, given that we almost never bring along a jet where it's worth bringing along a jet.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Dannysaysnoo

Post by Dannysaysnoo »

I still think that after-parties should feature helicopter roles, for people to practise in a less-serious enviroment. Also, choppers are cool. WHUPPA WHUPPA WHUPPA

Macaco

Post by Macaco »

I think this is a small and close enough community that we kinda know who is shit with things and who isn't. If you need a pilot I can list of the top of my head at least 5 other than myself who I know could get the job done well. Idk about jtac since we've never really done it enough to see. I can also name 5 people who really shouldn't be trusted with it.

That's the benefit of knowing everyone.

zitron

Post by zitron »

Macaco wrote:idk where you bought your manpad from but 3km won't save you from much.

I'm a competent pilot and jtac :clint: , but we don't have it that often so meh.
Sorry I meant 3 miles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIM-92_Stinger
Ferrard Carson wrote: More seriously though - no, we're never going to require a "test" to do any particular role. Some people will be better at particular roles than others - so long as we are mature and permit other people a turn at toy-slots, then everyone's happy - even if the toys tend to end in fireballs. If mission-makers figure out a way to include CAS, then I might consider coming up with a workshop course for that, but at the moment, a CAS workshop wouldn't actually be that helpful, given that we almost never bring along a jet where it's worth bringing along a jet.
~ Ferrard
But we already do have missions where Fer assigns specific people to CO, squad lead and what not, for joint sessions and "important" missions. I'm not saying only people who passed the test can fly in all missions, but if the mission depends on competent FAC and pilot, the host can just chose someone for a slot. The test can be optional, opt in. And by test it doesn't have to be some kind of public test on the server, you can come up with a test in single player (like take off, land 3 times at random LZ without crashing) and pass yourself. So if someone decides to take a pilot slot, they can be confident that they won't cause problems for everyone else.

Also part of the reason why there aren't missions with CAS is because we don't know how to use it properly. There are already loads of missions with CAS which we decide not to slot. Look at how your workshops on infantry stuff changed how we play the game, I think the game is more enjoyable when we are better at it.

Draakon

Post by Draakon »

The best mission is a mission where incompetent attachments lead themselves to a fiery death and the grunts win the moral victory. :hist101:

Besides, most fun I have ever had is seeing incompetents rule the mission. Make for hilarious scenarios. Besides, we already have workshops, so if anything, public awareness needs to be increased about it. And you have to start somewhere. I am fairly certain zitron, even if you had 100+ hours of SP mission flights behind you, nothing prepared you for flying that transport helo in a multiplayer environment.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Ahem:
we're never going to require a "test" to do any particular role
It's antithetical to the FA ideal of openness, and we already have a number of people who consistently slot as pilots or vehicle crew.
zitron wrote:Also part of the reason why there aren't missions with CAS is because we don't know how to use it properly. There are already loads of missions with CAS which we decide not to slot. Look at how your workshops on infantry stuff changed how we play the game, I think the game is more enjoyable when we are better at it.
This is a fair point. I'll take a whack at it and see if I can create a decent workshop for coordinating support elements.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

If you go over 700 in arma you can just out-run the rocket and you will be golden, so a diving A-10, dropping GBU's like a madman could go over any AO, but it needs a JTAC with a laser designator.

How about.. there is a mission where you have heavily defended buildings, strongpoints if you will and you have to either take them or destroy them with CAS? I mean inf works their way trough the perimiter.. clearing AA's, patrols, maybe some other nasty dudes and then 'Mericans call in some A10's to unleash hell on terrorist compunds...
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott