"Walb!" - Wargame AirLand Battle Beta

Games that are not ArmA2 or Flight Sims

Moderator: oldhosts

Grizzly

"Walb!" - Wargame AirLand Battle Beta

Post by Grizzly »

My current thoughts:
1) Feels a bit too limited for a beta. When I think "Beta", I think "All features implemented, albeit incomplete and buggy and unbalanced". As of now, this beta reminds me very much of the Arma 3 Alpha we have been playing, although decidedly more stable for me at the least.
2) It looks nice!
3) It sounds nice!
4) The music does NOT sound nice! I liked the much calmer thoughtfull music from Wee much better.
5) I don't like playing as the set-in-stone eastern powers atm, they feel to weak.
6) The danish have some great air power, albeit weak land power. Lots of fun to play with, even though I did carelessly throw all my jets away at the end :P. Those bombing runs are AWESOME to look at.

wolfenswan

Re: "Walb!" - Wargame AirLand Battle Beta

Post by wolfenswan »

So far I really do like what I see. The pre-made decks surely are a bit restrictive but then again every deck forces you to use different tactics, which I like.

Combat seems to be more dynamic despite the bigger maps thanks to the increased rate for gaining reinforcement points. I think I'll like this change as before often a match could be decided after one decisive clash. Now gaps in defenses close faster or it's easier to create a second front while your first is whittling away. Also placing more CUs even late game is a viable option now.

The air certainly is powerful but some well placed AA chew them up. (Also NAPALM!) Unfortunately for Fer this means that VDV sneak attacks are less of an option as advanced recon + AA fighters will deal with those Mi-8s well in advance of them reaching the AO.

Smoke is an amazingly useful tool and really adds to the options available.

Arty seems a bit strange right now, I think a reduction of RoF but increase in HE splash or damage might be in order.

fer

Post by fer »

The Party will simply ban all assets that threaten the VDV.

pvtbones

Post by pvtbones »

perhaps we should list our ingame nicks so that way we can better set up impromptu matches?

that being said I've been itching to check out my revised Canadian deck in a folksome fashion seeing as I have no idea what I'm doing.

My deck btw (thanks to everyone on the skype chat for the help.)
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/578 ... A66F30461/

*EDIT*

Perhaps I should kickstart this: My Handle is pvtbones

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Here's a nice guide for the game.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Yesterday the accurately dubbed "mother of all patches" was released, preparing the game for DLC # 2 which will introduce a host of new units and new maps. All these changes breath a lot of new air into the game, making many units viable options again and making secure supply chains a necessity.

Here's the TL;DR version (full changelog here):
Level design changes (sector, spawn points, air corridor, ...) on several maps, with a focus on 3v3/4v4, in order to:
- fix some that might have been unbalanced.
- favor manoeuver over spam.
Tanks accuracy scaling came from a time (EE) were ranges were the same for all tanks. With the so-called "heavies" now outranging their lesser brethen, lower ACC was "double penalty" for the latter. Hence we've decided to drastically buff some accuracies: the lesser range, the bigger the buff. By now, from memory, there must not be a tank below ACC 5, and 7 or 8 is the average. Which means that two variants with different ranges may have the same accuracy.
SMG deal less suppression, are less accurate at long range but have the fastest rate of fire and the best accuracy in CQC fights. They also retain more accuracy while moving than other weapons.
Assault rifles 5.56 and 5.45 have an average long range accuracy, CQC accuracy, suppression, rate of fire and moving accuracy.
Assault rifles 7.62 have worse accuracy than 5.56 and 5.45, but the same rate of fire and better suppression.
Semi-automatic rifles 7.62 have the best static accuracy but the worst moving and CQC accuracy and rate of fire.
Bolt rifles are accurate but have very low rate of fire, accuracy on the move and CQC accuracy.

There are 4 level of weapons for the 4 level of infantry :
Reservists have the worst weapons stats. You can spot them as they are national only troops, have a speed of 15kmh and poor stats.
Line infantry has basic weapons. You spot them thanks to their speed of [20kmh and average stats.
Shock troops have more accurate weapons, better rate of fire, a speed of 25kmh.
Elite troops have extreme accuracy, rate of fire and a speed of 30kmh but low availability and high price. You can spot them with the red color of their ID card.

Light Infantry troops (Light Riflemen, Mountaineers, Highlanders, Podhales, Leichte Schützen) are special : the four former have "line" weaponry, but one step higher speed and short range ATGM, while the latter are shocktroops, with the same advantage.

Infantry weapons statistics are now proportional to their real rate of fire :
A section announced with 200rpm will fire twice faster as a section with 100rpm

It is confirmed that the feature that ties rate of fire to the number of men in the squad is working as intended and is dynamic (RoF reduce with causalities).
However the displayed rate of fire is generic and unrelated to the number of men. A 10 men squad with a RoF of 100 will fire twice faster with their guns than a 5 men squad.
Heavy weapons (MG/Rockets/etc...) are not affected by that feature.
Supply vehicles (both land or helo) have been standardized to bring a same amount of supply per card. Besides, FOBs have been made more appealing, while supply vehiles are more scarce. This was meant to make the latter less "one-shot": more supply in the FOB but less supply vehicles per cards mean that one shall be more inclined to spare its suplly vehicle and therefore create a real supply line instead of just calling new supply trucks as reinforcements and let them be once empty ...
IFVs also are a lot more interesting now, minor nations were buffed and flamethrower infantry deal damage now, making them a lot more useful.

I'd totally be up for games, even though some people here seem to have an irrational averseness towards playing with yours truly. :laugh:

Medic Eugene Roe

Post by Medic Eugene Roe »

Anyone up for a game as of the release of Magna Carta? For that matter, I'm also terrible at this game so I need practice against humans who would teach me how not to be so terrible.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Practice away with Wolfenswan. You WILL feel terrible at the end.

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Seeing as a friend talked me into getting this one recently, I (and presumably he) would like to get in on whatever you guys have going on.

(nick same as here, btw)
[/allegedly]

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

I'm always up for games :twisted: