Opinion Seeking for Adversarial Convoy Mission

Workshop for all Mission Engineer Comrades. Home of the FA Mission Making Template.

Should the truck drivers Rolf and Otto be AAF or Civilian?

They should be AAF! No way the government would let civvies of uncertain allegiance transport their ammo!
13%
They should be civvies! Long live the Swiss drivers of EuroTruck Simulator 2035!
88%

Total votes: 8

Ferrard Carson

Opinion Seeking for Adversarial Convoy Mission

Post by Ferrard Carson »

So I'm finalizing an adversarial convoy mission, and I'm wondering about everyone's opinions here, specifically about the drivers of the Precious Cargo.

Basic concept: AAF needs to get two ammo trucks to their Stadium base. FIA is trying to steal those trucks for their own use.

Currently, the drivers of the two trucks, Rolf and Otto, are AAF engineers with SMGs, hostile to FIA. Unfortunately, it's difficult to kill drivers and pop all six tires without blowing up the damn truck (seriously, less than a full mag of 9mm will end up torching the truck), and you have to pop all six tires to actually stop the truck.

The thought I'm entertaining is whether the drivers should be civilians and not give two shits who commands them around, not care about allegiances, and only care about getting their trucks safely from Point A to either Point B or C. Either they'd be allowed to channel hop in TS or they'd just rely on direct VON.

What do you think?

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

wolfenswan

Re: Opinion Seeking for Adversarial Convoy Mission

Post by wolfenswan »

A few ideas:
  • Remote detonated explosives had a quite an overhaul. Some of them might be weak enough now to only affect a trucks wheels without killing the truck itself.
  • You could use a simple eventhandler to make the truck take less damage (see below).
  • Are HEMTTs sturdier? Maybe make it a NATO convoy or give the AAF Nato trucks (+backstory). Or wait for the next stable update as it'll give CSAT mine-resistant (which I assume means 9mm resistant) trucks.
The eventhandler:

Code: Select all

this addEventHandler [
	"HandleDamage",
	{
	 _truck = _this select 0;
         _damage = _this select 2;
         _fraction = 0.5;

if (_damage < 0.7) then {_damage = _damage*_fraction}; 
	_damage
	}];
This would simply multiply the received damage with the value of _fraction, unless it's very high. If you want to apply full damage to the wheels:

Code: Select all

this addEventHandler [
   "HandleDamage",
   {
    _truck = _this select 0;
    _section = _this select 1;
    _damage = _this select 2;

_wheels = ["wheel_1_1_steering","wheel_1_2_steering","wheel_1_3_steering","wheel_1_4_steering","wheel_2_1_steering","wheel_2_2_steering","wheel_2_3_steering","wheel_2_4_steering"];
    _fraction = 0.5;

if !(_section in _wheels && _damage < 0.7) then {_damage = _damage * _fraction};

_damage
   }];
You can also add "glass1" to "glass4" to the _wheels array to prevent the glass windows from being as sturdy as the rest of the truck.

Satire

Post by Satire »

Personally I'd go for civvies driving, Ideally in the big CSAT MRAP Trucks but regular ones with damage reduction could be subbed in until they hit stable.

Maybe keep them in their own subchannel on Indfor, so they have a contact with the AAF via CC but aren't totally up to speed on the plan? Obviously, you can still use VON to shout at them when close.
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

Terminal Boy

Post by Terminal Boy »

I voted for the driver's being civilian's as expect the trend for all non-combat roles to be outsourced to civilian PMC outfits such as KBR and Halliburton.

As such, Rolf and Otto couldn't give two figs for anything apart from getting paid which requires their vehicle to arrive safely.

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Ferrard Carson wrote: The thought I'm entertaining is whether the drivers should be civilians and not give two shits who commands them around, not care about allegiances, and only care about getting their trucks safely from Point A to either Point B or C. Either they'd be allowed to channel hop in TS or they'd just rely on direct VON.
I like that aspect very, very much, as it would give us something new from the usual shooty-shooty-boom-boom-die-a-twisted-death :D
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott