Odd launchers or secondary weapons

Workshop for all Mission Engineer Comrades. Home of the FA Mission Making Template.
Sparks

Odd launchers or secondary weapons

Post by Sparks »

Comrades, in relation to nothing at all and asked while whistling innocently, is there a way for a primary weapon to be put in a launcher slot or a secondary slot?

So, for example, if we wanted someone to have a PDW/SMG but also to have a larger primary weapon which wouldn't be intended for use as a primary but as a special-purpose weapon, can that be done within the limits of the Folk low-friction environment? (I know there are pistol mods that make this problem go away and similar things but they require us to require users to install stuff and that way lies madness, Tovarich, madness and outright capitalism of the worst sort!).
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

fer

Re: Odd launchers or secondary weapons

Post by fer »

Would an example scenario be: player carries an SMG as primary, but has a sniper rifle 'slung' on his back?

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

As far as I know, it'not possible to have a rifle appear in a launcher slot without actual config changes (i.e moddding).
That being said a more-or-less clunky but functional scripted solution is definitely possible. After all, it was already used in Xeno's domination back in Arma 2, and some old Folk missions used the same kind of trick to allow people to holster pistols.

It's basically a simple matter of storing the weapon and mag in a variable, then delete it, then add the other weapon and load the correct magazine. In A3 that would require a bit of additional scripting regarding possible attachments, but nothing too bad.
Then for funsies you could spawn the unused weapon in a weapon container and attach it to the back of the player.

Maybe the easiest way is to build the mission in a way to avoid the issue altogether though. Like (in the case Fer mentions) have the player go retrieve his weapon somewhere, or have the weapon stored in a vehicle, or something like that.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

fer wrote:Would an example scenario be: player carries an SMG as primary, but has a sniper rifle 'slung' on his back?
That was indeed the idea I was thinking about :)
Black Mamba wrote: have the player go retrieve his weapon somewhere, or have the weapon stored in a vehicle, or something like that.
Unfortunately not possible for what I was thinking of. :(

fer

Post by fer »

During our Arma 2 era, comrade General Carver wrote a script that allowed a player to have two primary weapons (one was 'shouldered'). The mission was Zargabad Safari, and if you are very, very good, Party archivists may look for it.

:science101:

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

fer wrote:During our Arma 2 era, comrade General Carver wrote a script that allowed a player to have two primary weapons (one was 'shouldered'). The mission was Zargabad Safari, and if you are very, very good, Party archivists may look for it.
:science101:
Um. Do you mean "very, very good" the way Uncle Tigershark means it at the dacha? Because it's not that important really comrade, in fact I hear this "chess" game is quite fun too...

fer

Post by fer »

Comrade Tigershark is not allowed to visit the dacha, because of reasons. Whatever [no doubt consensual] 'encounter' you may have had with comrade Tigershark probably took place at his Gymnastics Academy for Young Men. Which is still not endorsed by the Party or the Catholic Church.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

The lying cad! He told me that was the Dacha!

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

fer wrote:During our Arma 2 era, comrade General Carver wrote a script that allowed a player to have two primary weapons (one was 'shouldered'). The mission was Zargabad Safari, and if you are very, very good, Party archivists may look for it.
Found it :dance:
Now to test it, then possibly debug/port/kill it with fire...

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Silence IS consent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.