Creating ArmA 3 missions for Folk ARPS (inc. FA Template)

Workshop for all Mission Engineer Comrades. Home of the FA Mission Making Template.
fer

Creating ArmA 3 missions for Folk ARPS (inc. FA Template)

Post by fer »

PSA : EDITING MISSIONS WITH ADDONS ENABLED CAN CAUSE TROUBLE, READ THIS : http://www.folkarps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2113

For questions about the 3D editor and F3 FA go here

I want to make a mission for Folk ARPS where do I start?
First thing you need to do is download the Folk ARPS mission template. You'll find the FA template further down in this post. Keep reading, comrade!

Actually, I've never made a mission before; are there any tutorials?
Yes, there are full illustrated tutorials for making adversarial and cooperative missions using F3. If you're brand new to mission making, you may want to try making these with our template first.

Okay, I know what I'm doing now. Is there a mission naming standard for Folk ARPS missions?
A rudimentary one. It consists of: the Folk ARPS prefix, the mission type and playercount, name and version. The prefix for Folk ARPS missions begins fa, after which we add 3 to indicate the mission requires Arma 3. After that we add an underscore. For example:

fa3_

How do we indicate mission type and playercount?
After the underscore we add:
  • c for co-operative missions
  • cz for co-operative missions that use Zeus
  • a for adversarial missions
  • az for adversarial missions that use Zeus
  • p for 'puppeteer' missions
  • r for racing/karting missions
Immediately after that we add the maximum number of players and then another underscore. For example:

fa3_c24_

What about the mission name and version?
Anything you like for the name, but try to keep it short and use lowercase letters and underscores instead of spaces. After the name we add a final underscore, a lowercase v and then a whole number. For example:

fa3_c24_victory_rose_v3

I'm set. Now, can I make any type of mission?
Yes, but remember that the focus at Folk ARPS is on co-operative missions and adversarials designed to last around 30 minutes. Missions like that are most likely to be played.

Do I need to use the Folk ARPS platoon?
Please do. Don't feel you have to use all the attachments, but it really helps when we don't have to figure out a new ORBAT with each mission. Some of us are really old and frail, and we get confused easily.

What about changing the loadouts?
You can if you want, but please try to avoid scoped rifles beyond a single sniper team (with limited rounds) for adversarial missions. For cooperative missions it's okay to use scopes like the MRCO etc.

Can I use custom addons in my mission?
No, please don't. Our main sessions do not use any required addons.

Can I use custom scripts?
Yes. Just please be sure to test them thoroughly and to give the original authors credit in the briefing!

Should I just go wild with placing AI?
Please don't. High numbers can be very taxing on server perfomance. A rough estimate is that at no point more than 80 AI should be "active" at any given point during the mission. Avoid going above 120-150 AI within 1-2km² in a mission without a pre-set value for caching or utilizing a headless client. Areas with lots of buildings are especially taxing on the AI. A small town should not contain more than 20-30 active AI at once. Talk to a host if in doubt.

Do I need to include a briefing?
Yes, please do. The standard briefing template in F3 is what we'd like you to use, and detailed guidance on how to write briefings can be found in the thread: Writing briefings for Folk ARPS. To make things even easier, check out the F3 Web Tools Briefing Code Generator and Debriefings Code Generator.

Do I need to include an end trigger?
End triggers are preferred. Make sure to use the F3 Multiplayer Ending Controller to guarantee MP compatibility.

Is there a particular style of Folk ARPS mission?
In the traditional Folk missions for ArmA 2, the Folk platoon was meant to represent a guerrilla or insurgent force type, operating without high-tech equipment or significant combined arms support. Later, in the (ArmA 2) days of Folk ARPS this evolved and many mission makers added their own flavor to our missions, from 'Soviets in Afghanistan' to 'rogue UN platoon' and 'USMC thrown into the meatgrinder'. For ArmA 3, we welcome a similarly broad range of mission types, but retain our emphasis on infantry.

Does this mean I can submit a mission where everyone has a tank?
You can, but it may not feature heavily in our missions rotation (if at all). Remember, you can always discuss your mission ideas with a host for guidance.

How do I get my mission onto the server?
Please begin by uploading your mission to the Mission Testing server and testing it there. For more details please see: Folk ARPS mission testing server. Use the -showscripterrors launch parameter to make sure your scripts are running fine.

Can I get some help testing my mission?
Of course! Grab some fellow comrades from Discord or create an event in the forum, the server can be accessed 24/7.

I've heard the party is fond of short and poignant lists; does such check-list exist for mission testing?
Most certainly comrade mission maker! Did you know that statistics show that comrades who adhere to this list are 85% less likely to be purged?

:commissar:
  • Does mission adhere to the mission naming standard?
  • Is the given number of player slots correct?
  • Are the numbers of AI and other objects within the set standards? See further above for an estimation of a good AI-count.
  • Have vehicles and other 'toys' been tweaked to fit our play-style? Examples include:
    • Locking complex enemy weapon systems (tanks, helicopters) so they cannot be used by players.
  • Has the AI Skill Selector component been enabled for the appropriate sides?
  • Are the F3 Folk ARPS components working correctly with both pre-configured and custom groups?
  • Is your briefing working as intended (markers) and in the spirit of our guidelines?
  • Do all endings (using F3 Multiplayer Ending Controller component) work correctly?
  • Do all custom scripts work fine on our Mission testing server? Have you checked for any possible issues with locality?
Okay, please can I have the Folk ARPS mission template?

Here it is (GitHub link). The latest version is FA3.5.4. Changes from FA3.5.3 can be seen in full on GitHub.
Highlights include:
  • Support for Contact factions
What do I do when my mission is ready?
Add it to our mission database and request that it be tested at one of our fortnightly mission testing session.

Any final words of wisdom?
Absolutely! Here's what Housemaster had to say about mission making for Folk:
Housemaster wrote:i tried to keep it to the "we all die" standard
Sage advice that'll work just as fine for Folk ARPS!

fer

Re: Writing ArmA 3 missions for Folk ARPS (inc. Template)

Post by fer »

The mission template has been updated to one based on F3 v3-2-0 RC1 and WS Fnc (20/10/2014). :science101:

fer

Post by fer »

The mission template has been updated to one based on F3 v3-2-0 RC1 and WS Fnc (29/10/2014). :science101:

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

The mission template has been updated to one based on F3 v3-2-0 RC2 and WS Fnc (04/11/2014). :science101:

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

The mission template has been updated to one based on F3 v3-2-0 (FINAL) and WS Fnc (16/11/2014). :science101:

To update existing F3 3-2-0 RC2 missions:
Replace (overwrite) the following folders/files in your mission with those from a fresh download:
  • f/spect/
  • f/preMount/
  • f/nameTags/
  • f/cache/
  • f/briefing/f_orbatNotes.sqf
  • f/assignGear/fn_assignGear.sqf
  • f/assignGear/f_assignGear_clothes.sqf
Alternatively, use a tool such as WinMerge to check for individual changes.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

The mission template has been updated to one based on F3 v3-2-1.

Updating F3 3-2-0 missions to F3 3-2-1:

1. Replace the file f/radios/acre2/acre2_clientInit.sqf with the version from v3-2-1.
2. In the description.ext file find this line:

Code: Select all

respawnTemplates[] = {"f_spectator","f_JIP"};
Change the line to read:

Code: Select all

respawnTemplates[] = {"Seagull","f_spectator","f_JIP"};

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

The mission template has been updated to WS Fnc (30/12/2014). :science101:

It also includes some small fixes to the F3 spectator, radio (acre2), nametag and orbat components.

Updating
To update ws_fnc, you can simply download the standalone version of ws_fnc and override the ws_fnc/ folder in your mission directory.
To include the F3 fixes, override the files
  • f/briefing/f_briefing_orbat.sqf,
  • f/nametag/f_nametags.sqf
  • the entire f/spect/ folder
  • the entire f/radios/acre2 folder
with the versions from the updated template.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

The mission template has been updated to WS Fnc (10/01/2015). :science101:

It only updates ws_fnc_createGarrison to make it work more nicely with ASR_AI3 (no more garrisoned troops blobbing outside).

To update from an older version
simply replace fn_createGarrison.sqf in ws_fnc/AI/ with the same file from the fresh template.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

The FA mission template has been updated to F3 3-2-2 (soon to be released) and WS Fnc (17/01/2015) :eng101:

This F3 3-2-2 update includes mostly smaller fixes and a nifty new component to easily equip AI with F3 gear. It also fixes a rather significant bug in the caching system which would sometimes not disable units properly, hampering it effectiveness.

Updating older missions
The easiest and safest method is to copy your mission.sqm and relevant briefing_faction.sqf files from your old mission into a fresh download of the FA template, then to adjust your init.sqf and description.ext as you need to.

Alternatively, you can use a tool such as WinMerge to compare your older mission with a fresh download of the template to update each file individually.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

The FA mission template has been updated to F3 3-2-2 and WS Fnc (20/01/2015) :eng101:

There were no downloads registered yet so I took the liberty to push a small update with some neat changes to both ws_fnc and some last-minute fixes to F3 3-2-2.