Why Are SP AI Squad Members So Frigging Stupid?

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
Stoner

Why Are SP AI Squad Members So Frigging Stupid?

Post by Stoner »

I've been playing A3 for awhile now (since alpha), and I am completely disgusted by the crappy AI squad members. I had high hopes that BI would correct the gross flaws of A2 squad members' AI. Those hopes have been dashed upon the jagged shores of reality.

The squad members do stupid, idiotic actions. For instance, you can't tell them to take cover. Sure, you can point them to a wall, but inevitably, one or two will go to the other side, exposing themselves to the enemy. When I'm running towards an objective, they saunter along like it's a g.d. Sunday stroll in the park.

I'm used to squad-based game like Rainbow Six and Company of Heroes. Tell your squad to take cover, they will Tell them to hold back until you tell them to attack, they will. For instance, in RS6, I can position different members at different doors. Then, on cue, we all breach at once, getting the bad guys in a crossfire. I can split CoH squad members to approach and attack from different directions. Other RTS, such as the Total War series and World in Conflict provide excellent control of squads, and the members aren't stupid.

Are you all as disappointed in the AI squad members as I am? Or, is it of little concern, because you play A3 only in MP?
Bitte töte mich nicht

harakka

Re: Why Are SP AI Squad Members So Frigging Stupid?

Post by harakka »

The Arma AI has never been competent at small scale, I wasn't very surprised that it isn't this time around either. It is certainly unfortunate though. AI that's more aware of and capable at using its surroundings would make for more interesting opposition in multiplayer too.
Me and him, we're from different ancient tribes. Now we're both almost extinct. Sometimes you gotta stick with the ancient ways, the old school ways. I know you understand me.

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Just tell all of them to take cover and wait, once someone spots something, they will re-arrange themselves and engage (if they are allowed to). Personally, when I'm laying ambushes with the AI, I like to tell them all to hold fire and later when baddies show up, they say something like ''2, ready to engage''.. and you know that it will be a kill shot.
Besides.. think of it as the inevitable price for the violence of action, and that you've always thought of yourself as a great writer and sending letters to widows and moms was your thing.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

Stoner

Post by Stoner »

Another perfect example of the piss-poor AI behavior in SP.

I was wounded. I stood right in front of the squad Medic; I selected him with F7 (that was his key); selected "Injured" from the context menu. He made no move to fix me. I tried about a dozen times. My icon was clearly marked that I was injured. I was given the option to treat Myself.

In frustration, I shot him in the head to steal his First Aid kits.

This kind of crap really ruins the enjoyment of the game in single player. How can BI even be proud of this gawd-awful performance. As a developer, I'd be embarrassed to have my name associated with this game.
Bitte töte mich nicht

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

You have to command him to heal you, else he wont even consider to put that syringe into his own leg to heal you... :v: I imagine it is coded this way to stop the medic from running back and forth between the lines to heal people on his own.
Select the medic with the F* key and use the number keys to get further commands. I cant remember wich number it was to command the medic to treat personell but it will most likely be 1 or 2.

As for the AI, BI is actually working on brainimplants to improve our counterparts. You can track the development here -> http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.p ... n-s-AI-Log

BI sadly rushed arma 3, but they are atleast working on improving it, rather than running away with our money and dreams.
Operation Red Hammer - A dynamic, storydriven, COOP campaign
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=919

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Select him, press 6 (actions) and then 1 (Heal team leader) or there could be someone else than a team leader, which only means that there are more people than you injured.

Stoner

Post by Stoner »

Mojo, Kefirz,

As I mentioned, I did select him with the F* key (F7 in this case) and selected "Injured" from the context menu. I was the only person injured and I was the team leader.

When I want the Medic to heal another soldier, I do select him and point to the wounded guy and command Medic to heal. That works about 50% of the time. Unfortunately, I cannot point to myself in the same way.

Glad to hear BI is working on AI smarts. I saw this statement in that thread: IRL even completely untrained and stupid civilians would behave more cleverly than the current level of gaming AI. I stood up an applauded. I hope that BI takes that to heart.

I'll play again today and record with FRAPS this horrible AI behavior. Then, I'll submit it to BI trouble ticket system.
Bitte töte mich nicht

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Nah, stoner, you can direct him to heal you. Select him, hit 6, then you should have the option to direct hil to heal you.
Then again, I just tested, and in stable, simply notifying that you're injured will cause him to heal you if he's got nothing else to do (like shooting a bad dude, or healing somebody else).

Stoner

Post by Stoner »

Mamba,

Thanks. I have this in Fraps recording. I performed actions that I previously mentioned. That is, I stood in front of Medic and select "Injured" from the context menu. That failed. Then, I did as you suggested; I selected Medic and hit the 6 key. Option 1 was "Heal Team Leader". I selected that, and it worked. So, that's a good fix.

However, I still maintain, that when I selected "Injured", that moron should have healed me. At the very least, I didn't have to shoot him this time. LOL
Bitte töte mich nicht

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

If I was BIS, I would script that after you say ''injured'' the squad medic says ''Ready to fire'' or ''Oh no, 1 is down, 7 taking over'' :D