Unparking CPU Cores - Possible Stutter Fix...

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
Terminal Boy

Unparking CPU Cores - Possible Stutter Fix...

Post by Terminal Boy »

Saw this on Overclockers UK.

It appears that Windows likes to park CPU cores to save power. This can make some multi-core applications lag slightly.

When you un-park cores, it just means that Windows has all cores pre-enabled to be used when called upon. It doesn't mean that the un-parked cores are running at 100% all the time.

Un-parking utility and more info here:

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/D ... ng-Utility.

Have yet to check my home gaming PC, but my Bootcamped MacBook Pro had all cores parked...

wolfenswan

Re: Unparking CPU Cores - Possible Stutter Fix...

Post by wolfenswan »

Is there any hard evidence that proves a perfomance increase yieldeld by unparking cores? All I see everywhere is purely anecdotal/seemingly placebo.

Just to be clear: If at all this only helps on CPUs with Hyperthreading, as Windows 7 can't park physical cores, only logical ones.

And remember the trade-off:
  • Higher power input, even in idle
  • Higher temperature, even in idle
  • Sleep States might be disabled
  • You might experience a perfomance loss during non-intensive use of the PC (e.g. browsing, listening to music etc.)
Also both Intel and Microsoft advise against disabling CPU parking globally (i.e. via registry).

Terminal Boy

Re: Unparking CPU Cores - Possible Stutter Fix...

Post by Terminal Boy »

I'm struggling to find any decent investigation on the matter.

It would appear that as many people found unpacking to do nothing as those that reckon they got significant improvements.