Bodge's Leaving Do

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
Bodge

Bodge's Leaving Do

Post by Bodge »

Well it has been an interesting few years. It has come to the stage where real life has caught up with me and I need to focus on my priorities and unfortunately work and health have to be at the top of the list. As such I am stepping down as a host of Folk ARPS.

A quick history lesson.

The birth of ARPS
RPS hosted some domi games back in the day and I joined with a few friends. I ended up in a squad with Nullkigan, Washington and Dvorak. I have a funny feeling Xenu might have been there too. We seemed to be doing alright, we got on the ground and as SL (old 8 man squads) directed us through Chak Chak shooting dudes and taking names. In the aftermath of that session (I think it was the second of the two) people in RPS steam chat mentioned doing it regularly. Null investigated the possibility of owning our own server shortly after and together with the other members of his squad we set up a server with a few missions on to play more frequently.

Tactical Tuesdays

We were shooting men on a regular basis several days a week, much shooting indeed was had but the admins of the group felt that it would benefit from a slight increase in organisation and so it was decided that on a Tuesday at 19:30 we would gather to play in larger numbers on comms to try and co-ordinate a bit better. The missions we dragged off armaholic didn't really help when it came to missions for player counts in the mid 20s so we looked towards making our own. Somewhere along the way we had also picked up a Wolfenswan and a Harakka, don't ask me when coz I couldn't really tell you.

Strange Folk
There was a knock at the door and a wild Fer appeared, he handed us an invitation and a small package, carefully wrapped in ARPS friendly revive paper was a copy of Fog the first Folk and ARPS mix. So it was that ARPS attended Folk Sundays and now had two sessions a week, a more structured and revive free Sunday and a slightly more freeform and revive based Tuesday. It quickly became apparent that Tuesdays could benefit from standardised missions and communication structure and these were quickly adopted into the Tuesday session.

The End, The Beginning.
Tuesdays and Sundays soon became pretty much identical with the same missions, the same players and the same Admins/hosts. It was obvious that it was now more one community than two separate ones and the process of working out the details began and continued for a couple of months before the changeover was announced. This produced a fair bit of drama, but that died down pretty quickly when it was evident that things were not radically different from how they had been before, just a bit more streamlined. Folk ARPS was born.

Since then there has been a lot of development and changes to a million and one small things, be it gear changes or alterations to F2/3. There have also been larger ones in the form of the jump to A3. All of these changes have been made by the Host team, as part of it I have often had a significant hand in shaping these decisions and have always done so while remembering the following two points:

1. As a community we should be trying to give the most amount of enjoyment to the largest proportion of people.
This is why I might have asked you to shut up, or not take that awesome looking rifle over there, or to get the hell out of that GRAD and stop blowing up all the things.

2. Maintaining FA's key ideal that we should be open to everyone and provide structured comms and organised gameplay to help satisfy point 1.

You might disagree with some of the decisions I might have made in the past and you might not have even realised they were made in the first place, and that is fine. Just consider that all of my efforts in the past few years have been with the sole purpose of improving and developing FA, and for the most part I am proud of what we have accomplished.

So I am off and would like to say a thank you to you for helping make FA a pleasant place to play and an enjoyable place to shoot each other, a particular thank you goes to all the past and current hosts that have put a large amount of effort into making playing with FA take as little effort as possible for everyone else. Thanks also to all those that donated over the years and the players that regularly take lead slots to facilitate others enjoyment. Finally thanks to the long serving members that have stuck around and have seen FA develop, I hope I have served you well. I am pretty sure that the current host team will be continuing to develop FA in a manner that I would be comfortable with and I know that many people from the player base will help them to do so, if a decision that is made strikes you as odd, try to think of the bigger picture and if that still doesn't help then have a chat with one of the host team who will be more than happy to explain why something is happening.

Life can be a dick, FA has remarkably few.

SuperU

Re: Bodge's Leaving Do

Post by SuperU »

Sad to see you leave Bodge, thanks for all the hard work you have put into building ARPS, Folk and FA. It has been a true honor I wish you all the best.

We will keep your Ak Warm.

Will

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

SuperU wrote:Sad to see you leave Bodge, thanks for all the hard work you have put into building ARPS, Folk and FA. It has been a true honor I wish you all the best.
I agree with Super, but I still expect you to keep on Wurming :D

You will occasionally pop in sessions, right? Comrade Retiree.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

zitron

Post by zitron »

GG sir, GG.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Take care Bodge. Hope to play with you again once Fer has deemed our missions for the party complete and allows us to return home.

Take it easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terminal Boy

Post by Terminal Boy »

Good luck in everything you chose to pursue Bodge.

Maybe you'll pop back one day to find me still lost and still shooting at the wrong people.

Issus

Post by Issus »

All the best for the future, Bodge. I first got into ARMA through ARPS Tactical Tuesdays, so I have to thank you for helping to run a community that I quickly felt comfortable gaming with.

Cheers for all the hard work you've put in over the years, and hopefully will see you on the battlefield again soon.

fer

Post by fer »

With typical modesty and understatement, comrade Bodge's history lesson neglects to mention just how important his own contribution has been. Much of what comrade Bodge has contributed may be invisible to our heroes on the frontlines, but it's important that you know these things. Latter-era ARPS was 'organised' largely by dint of comrade Bodge bringing together the admin team (a forerunner of today's Politburo) and working hard behind the scenes to create the organisational infrastructure. The same is also true of the period during which Folk ARPS coalesced from the its parent entities, during which comrade Bodge steered us calmly through the initial drama. Throughout the history of Folk ARPS, comrade Bodge has been one of the strongest voices within the Politburo, driving us forward as a community - but always with a calm, considerate and practical manner, wrapped in a genuine care for the enjoyment of every session guest. I hope I speak for all hosts, past and present, when I say he was (and remains) a highly respected collaborator. Comrade Bodge isn't disappearing, but he leaves an huge space in the Politburo; I know I already miss seeing him in the hosts chat.

Ultimately, if you've enjoyed playing at ARPS or Folk ARPS, you've enjoyed the fruits of comrade Bodge's labour. If you have a moment to post even a simple 'thank you' here, I'd urge you to do so.

Also, the perimeter of my garden looks very empty now that the Bodgist faction troops are no longer encamped there.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

It's been a great ride. Thanks for all the work, time, and money you put into this great adventure!

pvtbones

Post by pvtbones »

Best of Luck in your future persuits, Bodge.

we didn't talk often but I always had a great time playing with you. Thank you for all your hard work.