Gaming rigs

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
Kefirz

Re: Gaming rigs

Post by Kefirz »

I would say... try to optimize everything you can to boost FPS to the max and forget about recording.

Let's face it, a recording that stutters is pretty bad. If I were you, I would think about my enjoyment first and put all the other stuff as secondary.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

Sparks wrote:When you say...
SuicideKing wrote:turning PhysX up a notch
... Any details?
Borderlands 2 has a low/medium/high preset for PhysX (it uses GPU PhysX as well). Though yesterday I decided to force using just the GPU from the Nvidia Control Panel, seems to have improved performance.

But yeah, increasing it to medium or high increased the CPU utilization on the other cores, otherwise the load distribution is very Arma 3-like.
Kefirz wrote:I would say... try to optimize everything you can to boost FPS to the max and forget about recording.

Let's face it, a recording that stutters is pretty bad. If I were you, I would think about my enjoyment first and put all the other stuff as secondary.
This.
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

zitron

Post by zitron »

I'm pretty sure I had frame rates in the 20s with my old 955 and gtx460. What view distance did you used? That seems to have a huge effect. I used to set it at 1000/800. Also you should be able to OC the CPU and get 10-20% more fps.

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

The view distance is a good point, but I now I am wondering what are all of your settings set to...

boberro

Post by boberro »

zitron wrote:What view distance did you used? That seems to have a huge effect. I used to set it at 1000/800
WUT? Is that even playable?
/me always dropped everything else in favor of view distance in arma series.
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Well, the draw distance is 1200 and the object distance is 900, all the PP&AA is disabled (I had CMAA and FSAA on before but to be honest, I don't miss 'em).
The object, terrain and textures were at ultra (to force them onto the GPU) but the SSD couldn't cope with the textures at ultra so I've dropped them back to high. Shadows is at high as well, and the dynamic lighting is set to very high (the GPU handles all of that and I get no FPS hit).
The CPU is now overclocked to 3.5Ghz from the 3.2 default and after a session with the compressed air, dyson, babywipes and thermal compound paste, the fans are clean and the heatsink is keeping the temps at 45C while prime95 is thrashing the cpus for an hour or so. So it's nice and stable, but I can't push the CPU any higher without getting a BSOD inside of ten minutes (and if I crank the FSB any higher, it doesn't even get through the boot process).
And right now after some more tweaking of MSI, I'm getting 15.6fps in YAAB (though it fluctuates up and down by a few points of an fps between runs) while recording and doing headtracking and with the fps OSD on, all at 1920x1080. I was hoping for 20fps, but if I dropped it back to 1152x720 I bet I'd get it... but I just like that full resolution so much :D
I'll have to do some KoTH testing later tonight, see how it holds up in multiplayer.

And yeah, if I disabled recording and headtracking I could probably hit 20fps now, but I like recording the sessions too much (I'm one of those wierdos who likes the bits in Arma that don't involve shooting at people D ).
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

boberro wrote:
zitron wrote:What view distance did you used? That seems to have a huge effect. I used to set it at 1000/800
WUT? Is that even playable?
/me always dropped everything else in favor of view distance in arma series.
It's completely playable if you're doing something like KoTH where it's all CQC, but it doesn't really matter because it's set on the server in multiplayer and while you can tweak it in KoTH, you can't in Folk. So I just set it to that 1200/900 as an intermediate setting and then run the YAAB benchmark and maximise that in the hope that if I can maximise fps there, I'll be hitting the maximums in multiplayer (even though those maxima will be different everywhere).

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Next up btw, is trying to disable the paging file completely (it's fixed-size (16Gb) on the SSD right now) because the OSD monitoring is saying only 4.3Gb is being used and there's 8 on the machine...

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Sparks wrote:Next up btw, is trying to disable the paging file completely (it's fixed-size (16Gb) on the SSD right now) because the OSD monitoring is saying only 4.3Gb is being used and there's 8 on the machine...
Well that didn't seem to do any good or bad.
KoTH is holding steady between 10fps and 15fps regardless of whether I'm recording or not, that seems more server-determined (that's with 97 others on the server). I'd be more upset if it wasn't for it (a) being 15fps @ 1920x1080, and (b) my nailing six guys with an RPG-42 at 50m range and also nailing the main rotor of a ghosthawk from 20m out with the RPG when it tried to land on top of me :D

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Sparks, just try one session without recording, to see how it is, to not play a powerpoint presentation. Just one session...