Arma 3 on Windows 10

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
SuicideKing
Host

Arma 3 on Windows 10

Post by SuicideKing »

Anyone trying this out? I've read that WDDM 2.0 is being good to AMD drivers with Project Cars, not sure if Arma stands to benefit as well.

I'm holding off the "upgrade" to Win 10 for now, as such. Can't see much point to it except that it's free.
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

Ferrard Carson

Re: Arma 3 on Windows 10

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Can't speak for anyone else, but I got Win8.1 with my SSD upgrade with the intent of making a decision about Win10 right before the year deadline goes kaput.

See, I'm a pretty late adopter, akin to the Iranian Revolutionary Guard: New technology is guarded by a minefield of bugs, and I'll let the fanatics clear them out of the way first before I take a leisurely stroll in that direction.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

boberro

Post by boberro »

SInce I'm on W10, and it'll be 3 months now, I'm having terrible issues with my AMD drivers. But it might just be my old PC playing his old tricks.
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Yeah, I'm sticking with Windows 7 until I *have* to move.
It works. So why would you change it?
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

Yeah, pretty much the same. Sticking with Win 7 till the end of the free thing at the least. And if I move out next year, then I'll not "upgrade" at all - wouldn't want my parents to struggle with Win 10 unnecessarily.

AMD drivers...all the best, Comrade. :lol: Hopefully the situation improves over the next month as Win 10 goes "final" - whatever that means in the SaaS world.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Yeah, my main machine will stay on windows 7 until the free update period nears its end. I'll allow them to fix all the "aaaaugh get it off me" errors before i dive in.

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

Windows 10 is scheduled for release tomorrow on July 29. Arma 3 will of course be running on this version as well. We've tested the game on various preview builds over the past months, and it mostly worked well. However, recent preview updates have revealed some new issues that we may need to work around or fix. Therefore, we recommend to delay your upgrade until at least update 1.50 (Arma 3 / Arma 3 Tools 0.94) has been released. We'll have had some more time to react to the 'final' OS version and learn how it works in the wild. In addition, our research of DirectX 12 is still underway for a future update.
http://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00116

Terminal Boy

Post by Terminal Boy »

I have zero intention of going to Win 10 until it's been out for a couple of years. Win 7 has been rock solid and continues to not be a bottleneck for my nowhere near the state of the art gaming PC.

daf

Post by daf »

Well I figured I should trow in my opinion since it seems to run contrary to the majority here. Been using Windows 10 since the 31th and I have no complains or issues worth mentioning (stuff like onedrive which just needed a gpolicy settings change to disable).

The upgrade was/is free for the first year and at this point Windows 7 is 5 years old and no longer supported by Microsoft. The upgrade will be inevitable specially if you're a gamer, Windows 10 will be the only windows version supporting DirectX 12 and possibly Vulkan (up to GPU manufacturers to decide if they want to make drivers for older windows or not).

And depending on adoption speed it will be a matter of time before dropping support for older Windows versions becomes a viable option for AAA developers (only needs to do DirectX 12 version, less QA, etc).

So I made the jump, I don't think it's perfect, there's a lot of rough edges i'd like polished and I'm still not a fan of Universal Apps which I removed/replaced but other then that there were quite a few improvements to Windows 7, my favorites being faster start menu search, new task manager and the Snap improvements.

Relative to ArmA 3 the only real issue I've noticed is no longer being able to bind the left Windows key to push to talk, other then that I've had some crashes but only while overclocking my CPU in an attempt to squease more performance out of ArmA (with limited success) so I'm not sure Windows 10 would be at fault.

In conclusion I recommend everyone to upgrade before the 1 year period ends so they don't get stuck using a abandoned version of windows.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

daf wrote:In conclusion I recommend everyone to upgrade before the 1 year period ends so they don't get stuck using a abandoned version of windows.
Used an ATM lately? :D
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse