Post by Sparks »

What... the... ?
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Tigershark

Re: #tigersharkthings

Post by Tigershark »

It's a little obsure.....

Back in the early days of Operation Flashpoint (the grand daddy of Arma) I started an addon studio called Ballistic Addon Studios. I met Fer through this.

Fun fact, we made the first Littlebird for OFP/Arma. We also made the full compliment of special forces helos and troops along with the games first african island.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Bal ... on_Studios
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Tigershark wrote:Fun fact, we made the first Littlebird for OFP/Arma.
BASr and LBs?
That was neat work, thank you.

fer

Post by fer »

The legacy persists in F3 - which started life as BAS f

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boberro

Post by boberro »

Oh BAS Delta Force, my old nemesis...
It was needed for Nogova VIrus (before it was ported to WGL) and for some reason I couldn't get it to work.
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

boberro wrote:Oh BAS Delta Force, my old nemesis...
It was needed for Nogova VIrus (before it was ported to WGL) and for some reason I couldn't get it to work.
That was Fer. I am management at its best.

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Sparks wrote:
Tigershark wrote:Fun fact, we made the first Littlebird for OFP/Arma.
BASr and LBs?
That was neat work, thank you.
You're welcome. I regret we couldn't get things back together for Arma. We all grew older, got jobs, married, kids and the time required to deliver stuff of the quality standard we all held for ourselves just evaporated. Modding, espcially at Arma level with the limited, non integrated tools they provide, is a young persons game as they seem to have the most time.

I remember I'd be up till 3am regularly in my little room in Tokyo as guys in Australia, the UK and the US would be delivering things and we were all working collaboratively with only MSN messenger and some forums. Good times.

The screenies are looking really dated these days. :-(

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Pretty much all dev work with bad tools is a game for - well, traditionally you'd say "younger people", but really we mean "people who aren't earning a lot per hour and who don't have dependents or mortgages" :D
I mean, right now my toolchain goes from editing sqf in vim, bouncing it up through github to throw it over from my laptop (because vanishing from the house for hours on end is a fast route to divorce) to the gaming rig in the office upstairs, where I can try to test it via remotedesktop, only to hit that fun bug in remoteFX where mouse forwarding to directX games doesn't work properly and no mac RDP client will let you forward the mouse as a USB device. So I do the best I can in chunks, then go test on the rig itself for a few minutes, then back to the laptop and try again.

It's a long way round that feedback loop and when sqf is one step away from JSON in the first place, it does not make for an efficient development process :( And then something small that every manual says should work (in this case, getting an NPC to walk from A to B and then get into a waiting strider) doesn't work and holds everything up, and "debugging" isn't exactly an available tool here. And sometimes, it's not even a small thing (like getting an NPC to shoot another NPC, which lots of people have documented, and none of their approaches ever seems to work 100% of the time).

Gah. SQF is not an appropriate story-setting tool...

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

I am really dissapointed in the state of the tools for Arma given the years it has existed and the power it unleashes for mission and mod makers. A proper IDE would go a long way...with such things as a class name reference built in. And what I would give for a out of the box 3d editor.

And proper code completion....I know they have something...but it is not the elegant kind that for example Xcode has (and I presume Visual Studio has).

A nice function library.....ability to store your own code snippets....nurse...I'll take that morphine now.