Question concerning spectator scripts

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
Thirith

Question concerning spectator scripts

Post by Thirith »

Man, I haven't been able to play with you good people for the longest time, which is something I should remedy... In the meantime, though, I had a question; in my case, it's more particular to Arma 2/Operation Arrowhead than Arma 3, but I was hoping the Party would allow me to ask without scheduling me for immediate re-education. If not, well, it was nice knowing you fine folks.

Do scripts, and particularly spectator scripts, have to be baked into mission files? In concrete terms, if I've got a bunch of downloaded missions, is there an easy way to take a spectator script and make it work for all missions and players in an online session, or would I have to unpack the PBOs, inject the script, repack them and take it from there?
"Until now we scraped along the ground like rats, but from now on, we soar. Like eagles. Yeah. LIKE EAGLES... ON... POGO STICKS." - Grim Fandango

fer

Re: Question concerning spectator scripts

Post by fer »

There have been addon-based spectator scripts in the past, so you don't have to bake them into the mission. Doesn't ACE2 have a PBO'd spectator script?

Thirith

Post by Thirith »

Something like that would be cool, though I wouldn't want to add a whole massive mod just for one kind of functionality. The ideal thing would be a small, simple mod that takes care of this particular thing, but I haven't found anything yet. Especially since the people I might be playing with are all new to the Arma series, I don't want to inflict Life as a Seagull on them...
"Until now we scraped along the ground like rats, but from now on, we soar. Like eagles. Yeah. LIKE EAGLES... ON... POGO STICKS." - Grim Fandango

fer

Post by fer »

How about using old FA Arma 2 missions that have spectator scripts baked in?

Thirith

Post by Thirith »

Great idea! Do we have a repository of the old missions somewhere?