Helmet Mounted Dislays mod - Suggested for whitelisting

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
washington

Helmet Mounted Dislays mod - Suggested for whitelisting

Post by washington »

This is a nifty mod that makes the life of the pilot (and dare I say ultimately the platoon?) a bit easier.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =312724602
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26351

It shows relevant data such as an artificial horizon, altimeter, speedometer, accelerometer, fuel and weapons on a helmet mounted display for the pilot, making instrument readings it a part of the visual flight. It even displays flight path vectoring.
It does come with some skins, so I am as of yet unsure of compatability with users and non-users, but I suspect it is server independent.

I move that it be put up for review and testing! :dance:

Sparks

Re: Helmet Mounted Dislays mod - Suggested for whitelisting

Post by Sparks »

Honestly, if you tried to read all that while doing the kind of flying we do with MH9s, you'd demonstrate CFIT with a full fireteam. Not recommended for making friends Comrade!

I wouldn't mind seeing the rotorlib style of gauge in the basic flight model because they're large enough to read with periheperal vision while flying but aren't adding any glass cockpit stuff; but even there the danger is you'd fly the gauges right into terrain.

Might be useful in jets. Of course, jets in Arma...

I could see it being useful for the comanche, where you standoff a ways back and have time to read the displays (not that we do that much); maybe even the armed Orca's in a pinch; but really I'd see it causing more problems that it would solve :(
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

washington

Post by washington »

I'll have to strongly disagree with you there, Sparks. When piloting a Littlebird in tight terrain, having all that stuff in my face is exaclty what I want - having to look around the screen at that point pulls focus from the immediate. But, to each his own I guess? Anywho, if implemented it'd be on a "if you wants all dem numbers in yer britches, do'er" basis.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Normally when I'm NOE flying, I'm watching the terrain, looking for obstacles, getting an eyeflick out to the right for the gps or the top left for exact speed if we're in the bleed/landing phases; but generally I get my altitude and airspeed from watching how fast the treetops are passing by above the rotor hub :P

Visual clutter's a killer in that HUD and I didn't see config options to (for example) turn off everything bar the AH bars and an analog speedometer or analog altimeter.

I *do* like the FFAR aiming reticle. That's nice. But look at the biggest most prominent number there - it's your bearing, the second-most useless number you could ask (fuel being the most useless - even the default HUD doesn't give that a number, just a bar that changes colour as it becomes something you should worry about; but half a tank will see you through our longest mission without ever shutting down the engine, so it's like having a gauge that tells you how much air you have in the cabin).

The most important number is your airspeed - and that's still this tiny little thing away in the left side buried in a low-contrast colour against grass and trees.

The altitude is given huge importance - but if you're flying low enough that a single metre matters, then you *don't* stop to read low-contrast text or examine bars that are vanishingly small or worse, autoscaling so you have to figure out the scale. You keep your eyes on where you're going so as to not fly into terrain.

Having an analogue dial big enough to read with peripheral vision I can dig:

I actually think that's a decent set of gauges to have - even in that tiny image, you can tell that your speed gauge is three-quarters of the way round which is way too high to do proper NOE flight and you need to bleed down to half-way round for low altitude cruise and to about the southeast position to do NOE flight. And even better, you can customise that dashboard - remove any gauges you don't want to clutter the place up, put them anywhere you're happy with and add more if you want them.

If I had the time to get proficient in the AFS, I'd do it just for those gauges alone.

Honestly, unless there are *serious* options for decluttering I wouldn't use that HMD display. It's not that it's too easy; it's that it only looks easy, but it's actually overloading you with work in flight.

washington

Post by washington »

I'm with you on the advanced flight model gauges - they are pretty and pretty nice :dance:

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

washington wrote:I'm with you on the advanced flight model gauges - they are pretty and pretty nice :dance:
Aren't they? I would *seriously* love to see those things backported to the basic flight model.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

The mod you linked changes the weapon loadouts on some of the helicopters and adds new objects, so unless it's enforced for all players it is going to be incompatible :/

washington

Post by washington »

Well, nuggets :(

zitron

Post by zitron »

But Sparks, you fly so slowly you have plenty of time to read. I suggest a good quality newspaper like The Economist.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

zitron wrote:But Sparks, you fly so slowly you have plenty of time to read. I suggest a good quality newspaper like The Economist.
I have to fly slowly Zitron, your mom doesn't like it when I go fast.

edit: Wait, sorry, I'm thinking of a different "helicopter"...