Hey! Scots! and really anyone....

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
Costno
Host

Hey! Scots! and really anyone....

Post by Costno »

I am arriving this week to the UK, specifically Scotland, specifically Edinburgh, so any of well anyone who knows anything about that area should let me know either through this or discord places that I absolutely should see while I am in country( or places I absolutely should definitely avoid ). I will be studying in Edinburgh through May, and I've never been! I also intend to travel through England and Ireland, and hopefully into mainland Europe at some point.

So please, PM or post here things to see, places to go, things to eat, anything.

I'll probably not be in the next bunch of sessions, but may show up on my laptop/potato

Sparks

Re: Hey! Scots! and really anyone....

Post by Sparks »

You should definitely go for a quiet pint in the three sisters. Lovely place, nice and quiet, very relaxing.
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

blip2
Host

Post by blip2 »

Sparks wrote:You should definitely go for a quiet pint in the three sisters. Lovely place, nice and quiet, very relaxing.
You are a mean mean person.

I lived in Edinburgh for 23 years (5 of them as a student) and still miss the city! Suggestions for Edinburgh:
- My Favourite Pub: The Auld Hoose - take some friends (like 3) and have the big Nachos and some proper beer. There are many many nice pubs though.
- Favourite Chippy/Greasy Spoon: City Restaurant (try salt and sauce on your chips ;) ) also Snax is the best for hangover cures/6am breakfasts.
- Climb Arthur's Seat, bonus points if you do it drunk and in the dark but the view is better during the day (the sunrise is also good). You also get good views on Carlton Hill.
- Visit the Edinburgh Botanic Gardens (its free) and the Zoo (not so free but they have Pandas and Penguins)
- Go see the Improverts at Bedlam Theatre - very good student improvised comedy.
- The castle is ok but costs money...

Can suggest other eating and drinking establishments by the boat load...

Scotland:
- Get the train to Glasgow (45 mins and a few quid) for better shopping, better live music and a tiny underground transport line. Don't wander too far off the beaten track some parts of Glasgow are very rough :P
- Further north, Aviemore, Fort William and Ullapool are all very nice places to go especially for weekends of hiking etc. I would also recommend the Island of Arran. All of these can be reached by trains from Edinburgh (and in the latter case by trains and a ferry).

If you make noise in advance of visiting London, a FA meetup may be possible!

Costno
Host

Post by Costno »

Edinburgh is fantastic, thanks for all the suggestions Blip2.

As for London, I will be heading down there the weekend of March 4th-6th, so if all of the major party officials would kindly assemble in an single spot for a speedy assassination any Folk ARPS people want a impromptu meet up or have recommendations on where to go I am all ears.

Also I will be going to Dublin, Brussels, and Copenhagen in the near future so any recommendations for those areas, and recommendations of other cities and countries to try to get to, are welcome.

I should probably retitle this thread to "Hey! Europeans!"

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Costno wrote:Also I will be going to Dublin
Not Guinness.
If you were in Cork, I'd say Murphys because it's Irish but guinness is a diageo thing these days and before then, welllllll. It's more marketing than anything else.
There are some nice bars round here doing the microbrewery thing. Porterhouse is a bit of a tourist trap but there are some awesome other spots like this one. And lots of decent spots to eat in too. And fantastic coffee spots. Especially if you're into the hipster thing. It's fallout from all the US multinational software crowds setting up in Dublin.

Oh, and if you have to do the tourist thing, try Beshoffs, try the boxty place in Templebar, get beaten up by a Garda and urinate in a side street. That pretty much summarises the Dublin experience.

Well, minus the drugs, but I'm too old to know much about that.
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Costno
Host

Post by Costno »

if you have to do the tourist thing
Tourist is my middle name! Thanks Sparks I'll look into these, and isn't Murphy's owned by Heineken now?

fer

Post by fer »

In order to become as grumpy about Dublin as Sparks, you should at least poke your head around the door at a few of the better known pubs (so you can say you've seen 'em, and that they're full of tourists*):
BTW, keep shouting about your London visit in here, Discord and during sessions. Getting the comrades to break cover and be seen in public is never easy.

* When I went to these pubs, after watching Ireland pound Scotland at the Aviva (BoD's last home game in green!), there weren't that many tourists.