Session-Long-Efficient-Super-Hardcore-Ambitious Mission

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
Eagle_Eye

Re: Session-Long-Efficient-Super-Hardcore-Ambitious Mission

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Boberro, I totally see where you are coming from. I have played a few missions before where the sense of continuity means you are living in the game throughout and really feel like youre part of an epic mission. Personally I love having to resupply after a battle and knowing that therell be no loading screen. However I really just dont think its feasible for FA. Everything I said above is said in the focus of our sessions. We are just too loosey-goosey, both in and out of game, for that to work. I fear we would need to debase ourselves and slip to the level of the milsim cosplay cretins as fer labels them.

I think personally, if I could run a multihour long session like that, I would limit it to 10 players, and make sure everyone is on the same page as to how it will run. And I would have a whole saturday off with no responsibilities to distract me. And a crate of nice beers... I'm probably asking for too much there.

Edit: Actually to bring up the point you make about "more of the same". I think thats easily avoided when planned around. We tend to have series of missions that share a theme rather than a story (ie. All missions are mech, just in different places). As such they wouldnt be the best when played back to back. With a custom written set of missions, it opens up the opportunity to mix up the composition and style of each mission, which keeping the narrative element as the linking theme. Epic long missions can get a bit stale for some, as oftentimes the transport helos will be useless for a bit, then the infantry need to stand around for 30 mins while something else gets done. With the right group of people that can be just as fun and immersive, but with our goal of providing an engaging and fun experience for everyone, I say just have transport helos in one mission, then swap them out for MMGs in the next mission when appropriate.

Pooter
Host

Post by Pooter »

Eagle_Eye wrote:
Edit: Actually to bring up the point you make about "more of the same". I think thats easily avoided when planned around. We tend to have series of missions that share a theme rather than a story (ie. All missions are mech, just in different places). As such they wouldnt be the best when played back to back. With a custom written set of missions, it opens up the opportunity to mix up the composition and style of each mission, which keeping the narrative element as the linking theme. Epic long missions can get a bit stale for some, as oftentimes the transport helos will be useless for a bit, then the infantry need to stand around for 30 mins while something else gets done. With the right group of people that can be just as fun and immersive, but with our goal of providing an engaging and fun experience for everyone, I say just have transport helos in one mission, then swap them out for MMGs in the next mission when appropriate.
I'm going for something like that with the grand theft series of missions.
Grand theft ammo, (convoy ambush)
Grand theft armor, (steal some IFVs)
Grand theft something (haven't gotten to this one yet).

Kasmeister

Post by Kasmeister »

I think the idea of a campaign would be better indeed. To not make the missions feel the same and keep the atmosphere of the campaign we could make them start off in the same spots, same time, just as we'd only cut up a big mission. If not that, they'd have to be connected with each other, and that connection has to be noticed. Also slotting fireteams with the same people as the last one (if possible and unless the mission suggests the teams are mixed up or something) could help with keeping the theme and the feel of the campaign.

Anyways, i have two weeks off starting next week which i might use to start making such a campaign myself as i probably will be bored as hell 3 days in. I was thinking about using varied gamemodes inside the campaign, for example have most of the missions coop with an optional or not zeus and then get some adversarial mixed in (fe. in the end have the whole conflict be resolved in the two sides just having a fire fight with the remaining, decimated forces).

AmishStrikeForce

Post by AmishStrikeForce »

Remember the Christmas Challenge? You might consider throwing down the gauntlet with something like a "campaign challenge." ;) The challenge criteria could be something like you provide 5 or 6 different mission begin-and-end points and mission-makers must pick one of those and adhere to it. Example:

Overarching Narrative: this campaign primarily involves a NATO platoon on Altis.

Slot1: mission must begin with the NATO platoon defending or retreating from Sofia and end with them defending or retreating from Pyrgos.
Slot2: mission must begin with the NATO platoon defending or retreating Pyrgos and end with them attacking or being obliterated at Kavala.
Slot3: mission begin with the NATO platoon attacking or being obliterated at Kavala and end with them intercepting or failing to intercept a convoy.
Slot4: etc...

Just throwing out an idea. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out. :)
Also known as Spanks Masterson

Kasmeister

Post by Kasmeister »

I agree a challenge or something would be cool, but having mission makers be pressured to make 4-6 missions on time can decrease the quality and fun factor of the campaign. We could just rate the campaigns instead and maybe have a "best campaign this quarter" or something thing.

AmishStrikeForce

Post by AmishStrikeForce »

Kasmeister wrote:I agree a challenge or something would be cool, but having mission makers be pressured to make 4-6 missions on time can decrease the quality and fun factor of the campaign. We could just rate the campaigns instead and maybe have a "best campaign this quarter" or something thing.
Oh no, I was talking about each mission maker producing just one of the "slots" above. They would all be tied together some other way.
Also known as Spanks Masterson