Arma 3: The plan

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
m0ntag

Re: Arma 3: The plan

Post by m0ntag »

I'd suggest waiting on A3 for a few reasons.

1) Money. The game could cost anywhere from $40 to $60 (30 to 45 Euro) and even though ARMA is my favorite game for many reasons, I'm not jumping to drop that much dosh on a new release. Especially considering how buggy ARMA 2 is even after this much time (not as bad but still noticeable).

2) Bugs and polish. ARMA 3 will be buggy as sure as the planets turn. This is to be expected considering how massive an undertaking it is. So, waiting a few months for the massive bugs to be removed would be best.

3) Missions. We need missions and mods and such to be up to date before we should make the jump. Mods aren't as important but client side mods do make a difference. Not that that's a deal breaker. Missions are a definite because we'll be needing our main missions (Cholo and the lot) to be ported.

4) I AIN'T GO NO MONEY JUST WAIT 'TIL SALES AND MAYBE THE GOTY EDITION OR AN EXPANSION SERIOUSLY :psyboom:
I don't like the term 'Medic'. I prefer 'Fun Enabler' or 'Maximum Fun Ensurance Counselor'. What's more fun than being shot once? Being shot twice.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/m0ntag
whitesymphonia wrote:I know that I can count on m0ntag to save my ass when wounded...

tired hippo

Post by tired hippo »

Bohemia have scheduled the alpha release to coincide with next week's Tactical Tuesday.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... -next-week

Terminal Boy

Post by Terminal Boy »

Considering the number of people who purchased ArmA 2 CO for the same price as ArmA3 Alpha just to place DayZ and found themselves enjoying ArmA on it's own, I think ArmA3 is going to be very popular.

As more experienced comrades have stated, waiting until ArmA3 is stable enough to support FA missions with 60+ comrades playing sounds like a very good check point before the Politburo makes the switch over official.

tryteyker

Post by tryteyker »

What I do like is that they're releasing a full mission editor with the Alpha so we (mission editors) will be able to start making missions, or atleast get the hang of things. I certainly hope they didn't introduce lots of new scripting commands.

Mamuto

Post by Mamuto »

Oh my god I absolutely cannot wait for next Tuesday! I am seriously considering buying the SUPPORTER EDITION someone quick, talk me out of it!

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

Do you get access to beta and/or final version if you buy now? Because it doesn't seem like it.

Which means you're paying the price of a full game for an alpha, and when the game is less bug-ridden, you have to buy it again for the beta. And when that's done, you'll have to buy the final version. Plus, given that BIS's games tend to be buggy as all hell at release, I cannot imagine what a beta would look like, let alone an alpha...

Did that help?

Also, I do hope I'm wrong about not getting beta/final version access, because hell, that's even worse than those AAA companies that release unfinished games and you have to buy DLC for them to actually work.
ArmA3 website wrote:Enlisting not only means you will get to play Arma 3 early, you will also receive the full game when it comes out. Plus, you are contributing to its development directly.
Looks like I was wrong. So if I buy the Alpha for €25, it'll be €15 cheaper than on release? I might have to get it now. DAMN IT MAMUTO!

Macaco

Post by Macaco »

Anvilfolk wrote:Do you get access to beta and/or final version if you buy now? Because it doesn't seem like it.
If you buy now you get everything from now to final release.

Mamuto

Post by Mamuto »

Ahhhh I know! I'm so excited. Might take a few days off next week just to play it all day.

fer

Post by fer »

tired hippo wrote:Bohemia have scheduled the alpha release to coincide with next week's Tactical Tuesday.
... but FA's Tuesday sessions (and Sunday sessions) will remain ArmA 2 for the moment. There will be an official Party announcement on the plans for our switch-over to ArmA 3 very soon.

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

I don't think we can reasonably expect any switch over policy to be set in stone before the state of the alpha is revealed :) I will await and see how it goes. Once we get some feedback, I will consider purchasing A3.

In the meantime, there could be A3 sessions some day of the week, like there are for mod nights and so forth.